A Memorial and Biographical Record of
Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1896
Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.
George Stone Tracy,County Attorney of Des Moines county, Iowa, was born and reared in
Burlington and is a son of one of Burlington's pioneers, a man who for many years occupied a leading place among its best citizens.
Mr. Tracy's parents, Joshua and Antoinette (Stone) Tracy, were natives of Ohio and New York, respectively, and in their family were seven
children, six of whom are living, viz.: Samuel K., general solicitor of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad; Ellen T., wife of
Henry C. Garrett, cashier of Mert's National Bank; Lucy D., wife of W. P. Brady, general agent for the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern
Railroad, at Cedar Rapids; George S., whose name heads this article; Sada A., wife of Dudley A. Tyng, a grain merchant of Chicago; and Frank
J., billing clerk for the above mentioned railroad at Burlington. The honored father, Joshua Tracy, was, as already stated, a native of Ohio,
his birth having occurred in Belmont county, July 12, 1825, on his father's frontier farm, his parents being among the early settlers of
the Western Reserve, where were spent the first nineteen years of his life. He was educated at Beverly College, Ohio, and in the institute of
Prof. Samuel L. Howe, at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, and in 1846 came west to Iowa, and from 1850 until the time of his death, May 18, 1884, he made
his home in Burlington. Here he was for years engaged in the practice of law, and was repeatedly honored by high official position. He was
City Solicitor in 1853; was a member of the State Legislature in 1854; was District Attorney from 1858 until 1869; was appointed District
Judge to fill a vacancy in 1869, was elected to the same office the following year, and filled it until the spring of 1874, when he
resigned; was president of the Burlington & Southwestern Railroad for some years, later was general solicitor of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids
& Northern Railroad, and from 1880 until the time of his death was president of the last named company. From a Burlington paper, published
shortly after he died, we clip the following paragraph:"Judge Tracy was universally admired for the many excellencies of his
character, his integrity, generosity and geniality. A man whose word was as good as his bond, of the strictest integrity, conscientious and
fearless in the discharge of that which he believed to be his duty, with a keen sense of justice and honor, Judge Tracy merited that high regard
in which the people of Burlington have held him during his residence of thirty years in this city. Charitableness was one of the cardinal
traits of his character and he was generous to a fault. Though strong in his prejudices, he entertained respect for the opinion of others. He
was an affectionate husband and at his home his friends were ever welcome. Every wish of the family was gratified and those who were his
guests were the recipients of a lavish hospitality. He was a citizen that Burlington can ill afford to lose."Mrs. Tracy is still living and resides with her sons at the old
homestead. Her father, Col. Hiram A. Stone, was a native of Albany, New York, and belonged to the Knickerbocker stock. He came out to Iowa at
an early day, locating near Washington, in Washington county, and was for years engaged in farming. Also at one time he served as County
Sheriff. He died in middle life. Mrs. Tracy is a member of the Presbyterian Church, of which her honored husband also was for years a
prominent and active member. From this brief glimpse of his parentage, we turn now to a personal sketch of the son, George S., who has chosen
his father's profession and who has entered upon a career which promises to be one of great usefulness.
Mr. George S. Tracy was born in Burlington, October 27, 1861. His
education was received in the schools of this city, at Burlington University, and at Notre Dame University in Indiana, he being a graduate
of the last named institution with the class of 1881. Then he entered the law department of the State University of Iowa, and in June, 1883,
was admitted to the bar. He began practicing in Burlington at once, has practiced here ever since, and has attained a professional standing of
which many an older lawyer might be justly proud. He was appointed Deputy County Attorney January 5, 1891, under Judge James D.
Smythe, now District Judge, and in April, 1891, to the office of County Attorney,
Judge Smythe having resigned when appointed to the District Bench. In the fall of 1891 he was elected to the office, and has since filled it
most efficiently, having been twice re-elected, in 1892 and in 1894. He takes an active interest in political affairs, affiliating with the
Democratic party. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
R. M. TrimbleThe subject of this sketch is the popular young hardware dealer of New
Virginia, Warren county, Iowa. Although his identity with the business interests
of this place does not yet cover a long period, he is by no means a stranger
here, having passed his whole life in Warren county and having been five years a
resident of Virginia township.Mr. Trimble was born on his father's farm in White Oak township, Warren
county, Iowa, August 7, 1866, and was reared to farm life, receiving a
common-school education, which was supplemented by two years at Simpson College.
When he was seventeen he taught the Center school in Squaw township. Afterward
he taught the Fairview and other schools in the county, altogether his
experience as teacher covering no less than fifteen terms. When not engaged with
his school duties he was at home on the farm, and for about five years he had
charge of the farming operations, his father and brother during that period
being occupied in conducting a store at Liberty Center. He came to New Virginia
and purchased the hardware stock of C. S. Carson, and in the business center of
the town erected the fine building he now occupies. The building is 22 x 50 feet
in dimensions and has as addition 18 x 32 feet. That was in 1894, and in January
of the present year (1895) he opened his store and is now doing a fair business.
Mr. Trimble's parents are among the pioneers of this portion of Iowa. Enoch
Trimble, his father, is a native of Knox county, Ohio, and early in the '60s
emigrated from that State to Iowa, locating on a farm in White Oak township,
Warren county. Here he was married to Miss Hettie V. Condit, daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. M. Condit, and a native of Ohio. She accompanied her parents to Iowa at an
early day, and for a period of about fifteen years was engaged in teaching. She
attended the first teachers' institute ever held in Warren county, and also she
attended the Des Moines institutes. Her first term was in the subscription
schools, and on one occasion she accepted as compensation for her service, or,
rather, part compensation, an ox yoke. She and Mr. Trimble were married at the
residence of Moses Hewitt. Their union has resulted in the birth of seven
children, one daughter and six sons, the subject of our sketch being the eldest.
The others in order of birth are as follows: G. S., who conducts a meat market
and restaurant in New Virginia; J. H., a contractor and builder of New Virginia;
Nannie, who died at the age of twenty-three years, was the wife of Elmer
Workman, of Knox county, Ohio; Allen, who died in infancy; Scott, of Mills
county, Iowa; and Blaine, at home. Enoch Trimble served throughout the war as a
member of the First Iowa Cavalry, enlisting at Indianola and receiving his
discharge at Davenport, and, like most of the veterans of the civil war, he is
identified with that popular organization known as the Grand Army of the
Republic, being a member of Milo Post, No. 270. He is aggressive in his
political views, has long affiliated with the Republican party, and at one time
rendered efficient service as Sheriff of Warren county. R. M. Trimble is also a
Republican. He cast his first presidential vote for Benjamin Harrison.
The subject of our sketch was married March 18, 1888, to Miss Inez M.
Thompson, a daughter of A. L. Thompson and a native of Clarke county, this
State. They have three children: Elmer, born in 1890; Delbert, 1892, and Ruby,