A Memorial and Biographical Record of
Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1896
Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.
JASPER L. JOLLEY submitted by Richard Kinkead
JASPER L. JOLLEY is numbered among the native sons of Iowa, and is a worthy representative of an honored pioneer family. He was born in Dallas County, near Adel, November 29, 1860. His paternal grandfather, John Jolley, was a native of North Carolina, and made farming his life work. He married Hannah Cook, who was born near Steubenville, Ohio, and both spent their last days in Union County, in the Buckeye State, where the grandfather died at the age of seventy-eight years. Both were members of the Society of Friends or Quakers, but the family became identified with the Methodist Episcopalian Church.
Lewis Jolley, father of our subject, was born in Union County, Ohio, December 21, 1827, was reared to manhood upon a farm, and in 1855 emigrated to Iowa, casting his lot among the early settlers of Dallas County. For several years he worked at the carpenter’s trade, and then turned his attention to farming. In February, 1856, Mr. Jolley was united in marriage with Mrs. Elizabeth (Sowsh) Young, widow of George Young. She is of Irish lineage, her grandparents having come from the Emerald Isle to America. Her parents were Joseph and Mary (Montgomery) Sowsh, natives of Pennsylvania and members of the farming community. Her mother died at the early age of twenty-seven years, but Mr. Sowsh long survived his wife and passed away in Ohio when about eighty years of age. Mrs. Jolley was born in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, and was ever a faithful companion and helpmeet to her husband. The parents of our subject had five children, four of whom are yet living.
Two years after his marriage Lewis Jolley began farming upon a tract of wild land. He moved an old gun-shop to the place, in which he lived until a frame residence could be erected. Steadily and persistently he continued his labors until acre after acre was placed under the plow, and good improvements stand as monuments to his thrift and enterprise. He was an energetic man, possessing good business ability, and was recognized as one of the representative agriculturalists of the community. He was always opposed to oppression of any kind, was a strong anti-slavery man and active in support of the temperance cause. He filled various local offices with credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents, and in religious belief he and his family were Methodists. In 1883 he retired to private life and died in the home where his widow now resides, in November, 1887. Mrs. Jolley, like her husband, shares in the high regard of all who know her. One of her daughters has become quite a fine artist, and the various members of the family occupy enviable positions in social circles.
Jasper Jolley is recognized as one of the most practical, progressive and prominent farmers of his native county. His boyhood days were spent on his parents’ farm, and as soon as old enough to follow the plow he began work in the fields. He continued at home until his marriage, which was celebrated on the 26th of November, 1884, the lady of his choice being Miss Sarah C. Cook, a native of Indiana. They began their domestic life on a farm which he rented from his father, and he is now the owner of the old homestead of 450 acres, which his father transformed from a wild region. He keep it under a high state of cultivation and it is ever neat and thrifty in appearance.
To Mr. And Mrs. Jolley have been born four children: Lena C., Loren Cook, August 16, 2008orothy L. And Lewis. Our subject and his wife have many warm friends in this locality , where they have long resided. Like his father, he is a strong Republican, unwavering in his support of the principles of the party, and is devoted to the best interests of his county.
Christopher T. Jones
In the history of the public affairs of Iowa the name of this gentleman
stands prominently forth as one whose connection with political affairs has been
honorable and commendable, indicating him to be a man of innate nobleness of
character as well as great mental capacity. He is now serving as Clerk of the
Supreme Court of Iowa, to which position he was elected in 1894.
A native of Kentucky, he was born in Barren county, near Glasgow, the county
seat, on the 11th of September, 1837, being the son of John and Mary (Young)
Jones, natives of Virginia. His father for a number of years engaged in
school-teaching, and in 1842 removed with his family to Iowa, where both he and
his wife died in 1843. Their home was in Louisa county, but on their demise
their son Christopher was taken to Washington, Iowa, where he pursued his
education in the public schools and later attended Washington College for a few
years. His literary education being completed, Mr. Jones then began preparation
for a life work. His choice of a calling was the law, which he studied under the
direction of J. R. Lewis, at Washington, and afterward in the office of his
brother, William B. Jones, of Franklin, Kentucky. After thorough and systematic
preparation he was admitted to the bar, in 1859, and in a short time returned to
Washington, Iowa, where he re-entered Washington College, with the intention of
completing the course of study and graduating.
The affairs of the nation, however, claimed his attention. The patriotism of
his loyal nature was aroused when the rebellious South attempted to overthrow
the Union and he promptly responded to the country's call for volunteers. His
enlistment made him a member of Company H, Second Iowa Volunteer Infantry,
commanded by Colonel S. R. Curtis. The regiment started southward and on
reaching Missouri he was taken ill, and six months after his enlistment was
discharged on a surgeon's certificate of disability.
Thus forced to return home, as soon as possible he resumed the duties of
civil life. In 1864 he was elected to the office of Clerk of the District Court
of Washington county and served in that capacity from the 1st of January, 1865,
until January, 1875. His long continuance in that position is a most high
testimonial of his ability. His duties were discharged with a promptness and
efficiency that won him high commendation and caused his re-election from time
to time until his service covered a decade. On retiring from office he entered
upon the practice of law, to which he devoted his energies for six years, in
which time he succeeded in building up a large and lucrative patronage. On the
expiration of that period he accepted the position of Deputy Clerk of the
Supreme Court of the State, and in 1894 he was elected to his present office for
the term of four years. In 1880 he was chosen Presidential Elector on the
Republican ticket for the First Congressional District of Iowa. He is deeply
interested in the welfare of his party, to which he gives an intelligent and
helpful support, and in the counsels of his party he is a valued adviser. He is
a man of worth, justly deserving the confidence reposed in him and the high
regard in which he is universally held. His pleasant, genial manner and ever
courteous demeanor have won him a host of warm friends, while in the social
circles in which he moves he is a great favorite.
In 1865 was celebrated the marriage which united the destinies of Mr. Jones
and Miss Gertrude Reister, of Washington, Iowa, a daughter of George H. Reister.
Mr. and Mrs. Jones have three children, namely: Maude G., wife of T. E. Garrett,
of Boone, Iowa; and Fannie and Howard, at home.
Jones, a retired merchant of
Winterset, Iowa, has been identified with the interests of this city since 1868.
Mr. Jones, like many of the good citizens of this country, is not a native of
America. He first saw the light of day in a little town of Wales, September 17,
1835, his parents being William and Catherine (Thomas) Jones, natives of that
country, where they passed their lives and died. His father was in early life a
carpenter but later turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, in which he
was engaged up to the time of his death. Edward W. attended the public schools
of his native town, then took a course at Aberdaron, Wales, and afterward spent
two years in school at Manchester, England, where he acquired a fair knowledge
of the English language, and where his studies were completed. Up to the time he
was fifteen he lived on a farm. After leaving the Manchester school he secured a
position in a wholesale notion house there, where he was employed as clerk for
some time, and on severing his connection with that establishment went to
Liverpool, took passage for America, and in due time landed at New York city.
From New York he directed his course westward to
Columbus, Wisconsin, where he accepted a clerkship in a general store. He
continued to reside in Columbus until 1868. In the meantime he formed a
partnership there with a Mr. Loomis, under the firm name of Jones & Loomis,
and they conducted a successful business until 1868, when Mr. Jones sold out and
removed to Winterset, Iowa. Soon after taking up his abode here he opened a
general store on the south side of the public square, and this business he
conducted alone until 1871, when he took in as a partner Mr. M. R. Tidrick and
the firm name became Jones & Tidrick. In 1879 they sold out to the Terrill
Brothers. After this Mr. Jones purchased a stock of implements from Ratclift
& Nicholson, three years later sold out to J. J. Gaston, and then, in
company with R. B. Terrill, and under the firm name of Terrill & Jones
engaged in the boot, shoe and clothing business, which they conducted
successfully up to 1894, when they sold out to M. J. Graham & Sons. Since
1894, Mr. Jones has been retired from active business. He started out on his
business career without any capital whatever and the success he has achieved in
due solely to his own industry and good management. His pleasant home in
Winterset is a substantial stone residence located on one of the principal
streets of the town, and in addition to his property here he is the owner of a
fine farm of 150 acres, well improved with good buildings, etc.
Mr. Jones has been thrice married. He first
wedded Miss Emily J. Wood, of Columbus, Wisconsin, whose untimely death occurred
February 26, 1868. She left two children, Roy and William E., the former a
resident of Bonesteel, South Dakota, and the latter of Los Angeles county,
California. For his second wife Mr. Jones married Miss Sarah D. Wood, a sister
of his first wife, their marriage occurring November 3, 1868. She died in
October, 1886, leaving one son, Harvey B., of Florence, Alabama. His present
wife, nee Margaret Cox, is a daughter of Theodore Cox, of Madison county, and
their marriage was consummated February 14, 1888. This union has resulted in the
birth of a little daughter, Eleanor.
In his political affiliations Mr. Jones is
identified with the Republican party. He has served as a member of the City
Council of Winterset three terms - six years in all - and during that time was a
valued member of the board. Both he and his wife are consistent members of the
First Presbyterian Church, of Winterset.
Henry Jones, Superintendent of the Guthrie County Infirmary and Farm, is well
known in this county and is a man well fitted for the position he occupies. He
is a native of the neighboring State of Illinois, born in Peoria county, May 7,
1843, son of Elias and Jane (Hutman) Jones, the former a native of Ohio and the
latter of Pennsylvania; both are deceased. Henry was the youngest in his
father's family and was left an orphan when he was two years old, the other
members being Malinda, Tazewell county, Illinois; Mary Ott, Guthrie county,
Iowa; and Eliza, of Ohio.
The subject of our sketch after the death of his parents found a home in the
family of his uncle, James Jones, of Coshocton county, Ohio, where he was reared
to farm life and received a public-school education. In 1857 he accompanied this
uncle to Iowa, locating with him in Benton county, where he was engaged in
farming at the time the war broke out. In August, 1862, in response to President
Lincoln's call for "three hundred thousand more," young Jones enlisted
in Company A, Twenty-eighth Iowa Volunteers, and remained on active duty until
the close of the war. He was a participant in many of the prominent engagements
of that sanguinary struggle, among which we note the following: Grand Gulf, Port
Gibson, Edward's Station, Champion Hill, Vicksburg, Jackson, Sabine Cross Roads,
Cane river, Berryville, Alexandria (Virginia), Fisher's Hill and Cedar creek.
Then he went to Savannah. He was honorably discharged at Davenport, Iowa, August
1, 1865, after which he returned to Benton county.
The two years immediately following the war Mr. Jones spent in Benton county.
From there he went to Kansas, made a sojourn of one year in the Sunflower State,
returning thence to Iowa and taking up his abode in Guthrie Center, Guthrie
county, where he was successfully engaged in the livery business for a period of
twelve years. He has occupied his present position, that of Superintendent of
the County Farm, since 1891. This farm is one of the finest in the county,
comprises 260 acres, and has first-class improvements. The infirmary is a large
frame structure located on a natural building site, and under the present
management is well kept, the inmates being well fed and clothed, and everything
about the premises showing perfect cleanliness. The farm, too, shows special
care, and an air of order and thrift pervades. As a superintendent Mr. Jones is
decidedly a "success."
At the age of twenty-three Mr. Jones was married, in Benton county, Iowa, to
Miss Anna Segrest, daughter of John Segrest and a lady of musical talents. Their
union has been blessed in the birth of five children, namely: James H., a
resident of Stuart, Iowa; Marion L., at home; Anna M., a proficient musician;
and Fred R. and Bertie.
In his political relations Mr. Jones is an ardent Republican, always taking a
deep interest in advancing the welfare of his party. He is a charter member of
the local post of G. A. R.
Jones, for more than forty years a
prominent business and professional man of Bloomfield, Iowa, now retired from
business, but still active in whatever public enterprise may benefit his town
and county, was born in Putnam county, Indiana, near Greencastle, January 7,
His father, Rev. Benjamin Jones, was a local
preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was prominent as a pioneer of
Putnam county, being one of the six first settlers there in 1819, and was called
far and near to solemnize marriages among the early settlers, and took an active
part in all public enterprises tending to improve and build up civilization in
that then new country. This Benjamin Jones was born in Queen Anne's county,
Maryland, and was the son of another Benjamin Jones, who traced his ancestry
back through a line of Benjamin Joneses in Maryland to the time when Lord
Baltimore landed there. Like all the Jones family, the original Benjamin Jones
of Maryland was from Wales, the first home of the Johanes, Johns, or Jones
The mother of Maston H. Jones was Esther
Alexander prior to her marriage, and was a daughter of Peter Alexander, of
Rockbridge county, Virginia, who was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and at
his death resided in Woodford county, Kentucky. He was of Scotch descent. The
wife of Peter Alexander (mother of Esther Jones) was originally Jannet Steele,
and her mother's maiden dame was Campbell, the Steeles being of Irish descent
and the Campbells Scotch.
The gentleman whose name stands at the head of
this brief record passed his boyhood in his native county as a farmer's boy,
attending school in the log school-house during the winter terms and making
himself useful on the farm at other seasons. At the age of seventeen he was left
an orphan and had to rely on his own resources. Working on a farm, attending
school in the winter and working out the "sums" in Pike's arithmetic
and studying Kirkham's grammar during the vacations of school, he deemed himself
qualified to teach the winter terms of the public school; and by teaching and
working at odd jobs was enabled to attend several terms at the Indiana Asbury
(now the DePauw) University, at Greencastle.
In 1848 he began studying law under Delana R.
Eckels, of Greencastle, under whose direction he remained about a year and a
half, then went into the office of Kinney & Gookins at Terre Haute. In
March, 1851, he was admitted as a member of the bar at a term of the court at
which his former preceptor, Delana R. Eckels, was the presiding Judge, and soon
after settled at Bloomfield, Davis county, Iowa, going into business with Harvey
Dunlavey, the firm being Dunlavey & Jones for five years, then forming a
partnership with W. J. Hamilton, under the firm name of Jones & Hamilton for
five years, then practiced alone for five years, when the firm of Jones &
Traverse was formed, which continued several years, then practiced alone several
years till the firm of Jones & Moore was established, and finally becoming a
member of the firm of Jones & Son.
As a lawyer, Mr. Jones was one of the old school,
never hunted up a case but hung out his sign and let clients come to him, well
knowing that there must be two sides to every case. If he had a hard case that
could not be peaceably settled out of court he fought it out to the bitter end,
and generally made it bitter for his opponent. If he found a case capable of
being settled out of court he always advised a peaceable settlement as better
than a costly controversy. For more than forty years he was busy with law
matters and always tried to treat his clients fairly. In hard cases he required
security in advance for his services, but seldom pressed a man for pay where the
debt was safe. He was for four years Prosecutor of the Second Judicial District
of Iowa, was for two years a member of the Board of County Supervisors, has
served as School Director several terms, was one of the originators of the Union
Guard, the first Republican paper of Davis county, and one of the editors for
four years. It was rated as one of the best country exchanges of its time and
was afterward changed to the Dais County Republican, in which name it is still
published. In 1877, in connection with others, he started The Legal Tender
Greenback at Bloomfield, which is continued now by C. F. Davis as The Bloomfield
Farmer. As a writer Mr. Jones has a style peculiarly his own and is a "hard
He was First Lieutenant of Company D, of the
Forty-fifth Regiment of Iowa Volunteers in the war of the Rebellion, and is now
a member and Commander of Elisha B. Townsend Post, No. 100, of the Grand Army.
As a lawyer he was always ready to help the young man, and takes great pride in
the fact that he has, without charge, trained in his office more students than
any other lawyer in Iowa, among whom he recalls John W. Scott, of Atlantic,
Iowa; "Chub" Hotchkiss, of Great Bend, Kansas; "Tobe" Smith,
of Harlan, Iowa; S. H. Steele, of David City, Nebraska; F. W. Moore, of
Zacatecas, Republic of Mexico; H. C. Taylor and George W. Sower, of Bloomfield,
Iowa, - all active and honorable members of the legal fraternity.
He also takes great pride in the fact that he was
one of the incorporators of and largest contributor to the Normal and Scientific
Institute, a flourishing school for the training of teachers and business men,
at Bloomfield, Iowa, of which he was first president (and continuously since a
member) of the Board of Regents.
In religion, as well as in politics, Mr. Jones is
an independent. He believes in no 'ism in religion and no loyalty to party in
politics that would interfere with a man's freedom to vote for his friend or
scratch a bad name on the ticket. He never belonged to any church because he
finds in all a great deal of good but in all more or less exclusiveness, and
would be glad to see all denominational lines obliterated. He believes the only
way for any one to make the world better is to be better himself; and this is
work enough for any of us.
Mr. Jones has been twice married. For his first
wife he wedded Emeline Spencer, whose ancestry is traceable back to the early
settlers of New England. They were of the Puritan stock, and the collateral
branches of the family include General Joseph Spencer, a brigadier general of
the Revolutionary war, and Platt R. Spencer, the author of the Spencerian system
of penmanship. He has three sons and one daughter, all by his first wife:
Charles B. S. Jones, a farmer of Davis county; Hon. Samuel Jones, a lawyer, of
Lyons, Kansas; Maston Alexander Jones, a bookkeeper, of Bloomfield, and Mrs.
Alice E. Dewpree, widow of Stephen Dewpree, deceased, who now resides at
Bloomfield. His present wife was Mrs. Susannah Neal, a resident for many years
of Davis county, Iowa.
With meager opportunities for "book
learning," Mr. Jones has made the best he could of his opportunities,
adding self-training and close reading to the limited schooling he had; and
above all, by self-reliance and constant industry, he has been able to attain
more than the average success in his profession, and believes he has contributed
to the happiness and welfare of others and helped make the world better by
living in it, trusting that whatever may be found worthy of an example in his
life may stimulate the boys of to-day in laying hold of the improved and
enlarged opportunities for self-culture which our advanced civilization now
William A. Jones is probably the most extensive breeder
of hogs west of Chicago, and his stock farm is one of the finest to be found in
the West. He is known to breeders throughout the country, for he has made a
national reputation as a successful stock dealer and his honorable business
methods have gained him the confidence of the public and won him a liberal
patronage. His farm comprises 126 acres, and is fitted with every convenience
for furthering his special line of business, having good shelter for his hogs,
as well as all the other conveniences which go to make up a model farm of the
Mr. Jones was born in Wales, August 25, 1858, and is a son of John and Ellen
(Humphreys) Jones, who were also natives of the same country and spent their
entire lives there, as farmers, the father dying at the age of fifty-two and the
mother at forty-eight years. They had nine children, of whom seven yet survive.
From the age of two to seventeen years the subject of this review was reared
by a sister, and then he sought a home in the New World, for he had heard that
better advantages were afforded young men in the United States, and he hoped to
benefit his financial condition by this emigration. He sailed from the port of
Liverpool in 1875, and after a few days landed at New York with only a few
pounds in his pocket. He had thirty pounds when he left home, but of this he
gave twenty pounds to his sister, and with the meager capital remaining started
out to win success. On arriving in this country he made his way to Illinois,
where he had a brother, a resident of Kane county. For four years he lived in
that locality, working by the month as a farm hand, and then came to Iowa,
settling in Polk county, where he again engaged at farm labor in the employ of
others until his marriage.
On the 12th of March, 1884, Mr. Jones was united in marriage with Miss Vera
Reinking, who was born in Des Moines, Iowa, and is a daughter of one of the
early and prominent settlers of the State, C. D. Reinking. Four children have
blessed their union - Alice R., Mabel H., Florence H., and Mildred A., a bright
and charming family, ranking high in social circles.
Upon his marriage, Mr. Jones rented land from his father-in-law for about
five years, and then purchased the farm on which he now resides in Van Meter
township, Dallas county. It is a valuable tract of 126 acres, and the residence
which stands thereon in one of the finest homes on the community. In 1885 he
began breeding hogs, and from the beginning his business has been a profitable
and constantly increasing one. To-day he has over 250 head of full-blooded
swine, valued at from $40 to $1,000 each. He ships his hogs to all parts of the
country, and is undoubtedly the most extensive individual breeder west of
Chicago. During the cholera epidemic of 1892 his losses amounted to $10,000. His
sales for the present year of 1895 will exceed $6,000.
In politics, Mr. Jones is a stanch advocate of Republican principles, and
cast his first vote for James A. Garfield. He is a man of genuine worth, whose
straightforward, honorable business record is without a blemish, and who in all
the relations of life has followed a course that is well worthy of emulation.
Henry Joy came to Lucas county, Iowa, in 1866, and has ever since figured
prominently as one of the representative farmers and leading citizens of his community. He was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, February 25,
1838, son of Thomas and Milly Ann (Rollings) Joy, the former a native of Maryland and the latter of Virginia. The paternal grandfather of our
subject was John Joy, and his birth occurred either in Maryland or Virginia. Thomas Joy and his wife when well along in years removed to
Illinois and settled near Terre Haute, Indiana. There the father died at the age of eighty-seven years and the mother at the age of seventy-three. They were the parents of ten children, - Nancy Jane, George
Washington, Henry, William, Stephen, Mary Frances, Catherine, Elizabeth, Alfred and Louisa A. The parents spent their lives on a
farm, were devoted and active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and were people who stood high in the communities in which they resided.
Henry Joy grew up on his father's farm and was educated in the common
schools, and was engaged in farming in Ohio at the time the war-cloud gathered and burst upon the country. August 8, 1862, in response to
President Lincoln's call for 300,000 soldiers, Mr. Joy enlisted in the Ninety-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and soon afterward went to the
front, going out as a private and returning at the close of the war with the rank of Corporal, his record being that of a gallant and daring
soldier. He was with the forces that operated in the South, was at Missionary Ridge, Nashville and other points, and took part in the
Atlanta campaign. At the battle of Missionary Ridge he was wounded in the left leg by a minie ball, and twice at other places he was struck by
a spent ball, once on the leg and the other time on the scalp; but these were not serious wounds.
At the close of the war Mr. Joy received an honorable discharge and
returned to his home in Ohio. In 1866, as already stated, he became a resident of Iowa, his first location here being on an eighty-acre farm
located a mile and a half northwest of his present place. The farm he now owns and occupies comprises 320 acres on section 33 in Union
township, Lucas county, and is one of the best farms in the county. It is improved with good buildings, orchards, grove, etc., and is under a
high state of cultivation. The two-story residence is modern and commodious and is furnished in good style, and everything about the
premises gives evidence of the taste as well as the thrift and prosperity of the owner. The barn is 46 X 48 feet, with eighteen-foot
Mr. Joy has been twice married. February 20, 1865, he wedded Miss Eliza
J. Swank. Her parents, Lemuel and Martha (Honold) Swank, died in Ohio. She was one of four children, and her brother, James J., was a soldier
in the late war. Their union resulted in the birth of the following children: Millie Ann, John, Frank, Myrtie, Edna, Bruce and Ivy.
The mother of these children departed this life October 5, 1888, and January 8, 1890, Mr. Joy married Miss Fannie Leech, his present
companion. She is a daughter of A. J. and Mary J. (Lackey) Leech, her parents being early settlers of Union township, this county, and the
members composing their family being Lizzie, Fannie, William, Cora and Dora. Mrs. Leech died in January, 1894. By his present wife Mr.
Joy has two children, Dora B. and Edith.
Politically, he is a Republican. Personally, he is a man of fine
physique, being six feet in height and weighing 260 pounds; and in manner always frank and genial, having the happy faculty of making
friends wherever he goes.