A Memorial and Biographical Record of
Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1896
Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.
ALEXANDER BURRELL HANNER, an able and zealous member of the clergy of the Christian Church, and one of the local Elders of the church at Stuart, was born in Jackson county, Indiana, November 23, 1831, a son of John and Rebecca (Burrell) Hanner, natives of Gallia county, Ohio. They resided in Jackson county, Indiana, until 1838, when they started for what was then known as the Black Hawk Purchase, in Iowa, but when they had reached a point near Bloomington, Indiana, the father was stricken with a fever which resulted in his death. The family then returned to Jackson county, Indiana, remaining there until 1848, when they came to Iowa locating first in Lee county, where a brother-in-law of our subject had purchased land. In the fall of the following year they removed to Decatur county, where the death of the cherished mother occurred in the year 1853.
John and Rebecca Hanner became the parents of five sons and one daughter, of whom we offer brief record, as follows: Rachel, who died in Decatur county, Iowa, in 1890, was the wife of James W. Woodmansee; Bartholomew, a shoemaker by trade, died in Lawrence county, Indiana; Frank, who served three years as a soldier in the Seventh Iowa Cavalry, is now engaged in farming in Jackson county, Indiana; John, who died in that county; Reuben, a retired farmer of Harlan, Shelby county, Iowa; and Alexander B., the immediate subject of this review.
Alexander B. Hanner, the youngest child, passed his early live on a farm, attending the common schools of Indiana and Iowa. In the year 1864 he removed from Decatur county to Muscatine county, Iowa, where he followed agricultural pursuits, and while there he also initiated his ministerial labors. He had been a member of the Christian Church for some years, and in 1866 was granted a license to preach. His first pastoral charge was over the church at Moscow, Muscatine county; he next preached to several small congregations in Cedar county, this incumbency extending over a period of two years; he later had charge in turn of churches at Glenwood, Iowa county, and Luzerne, Benton county; for two years presided over two churches in Poweshiek county, and later was installed over two churches in Tama county, during which pastorate he maintained his residence on a farm. Mr. Hanner also preached for four years at Clemons Grove, Marshall county, and after residing on his farm seven years he removed to Dallas county, where he had charge of two churches and resided near Redfield. From that place he came to Stuart, where he has since maintained his abode and where he has had charge of the church for three years. IN the year 1890 he organized a church in Harrison county, preaching for the same one year; his next pastorate was with two congregations in Marion county, - at Pleasant Ridge and Dallas.
On the 15th of August, 1852, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Hanner to Juda Young, who was born in Jackson county, Indiana, on the 20th of March, 1835. They became the parents of eleven children, concerning whom we enter brief record as follows: Juda is the wife of Thomas Craft, of Belle Plaine, Iowa; Rebecca died in childhood; John W. is a farmer of Decatur county, this State; Rachel, deceased, was the wife of Lorenzo D. Skyles; Alexander B. is a farmer of Dexter, Iowa; Sarah Elizabeth is the wife of Henry Wonderly, of Des Moines; Mary E. is the wife of James L. Armstrong, who resides near Redfield, Iowa; Bartholomew is an employe of the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad; Francis Luke is in the employ of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad; William, who retained a clerical position in a general store for the period of five years, is now a commercial traveler; and Rosa Bertha died in early life.
In his younger years Mr. Hanner was an adherent of the Democratic party, but at the time of the Civil war he became an independent voter. In the Centennial year, 1876, he identified himself with the Prohibition party, having been one of the first to espouse its cause and interests, and having ever since been a stalwart advocate of its principles and policies. He has been called upon to serve in offices of public trust and responsibility, having served as Township Clerk, Assessor and Justice of the peace. He has delivered many able and earnest speeches in support of the prohibition cause, and for four years has been, and is at the present writing (1895), chairman for the Ninth Congressional District, of the Prohibition State Central Committee. In his fraternal relations our honored subject is a Royal Arch Mason, being Chaplain of the blue lodge and chapter, and is also a member of the Order of the Eastern Star. He is a forceful and entertaining speaker and able writer, and is a frequent contributor to prohibition and church papers.
Hardin, a prominent banker, farmer and capitalist of Iowa, now living in
Pleasantville, is numbered among the pioneers of the State. In the year in which
Iowa was admitted to the Union he became identified with its interests and has
aided largely in opening up to civilization the region now comprised within
Marion county. He has been prominent in the development of its agricultural and
business interests, and, as a result of his marked ability, great executive
capacity, industry and perseverance, has arisen to a place among the wealthy men
of the State. A native of Indiana, he was born in the vicinity of Hardinsburg,
Washington county, February 22, 1822. His father, John Hardin, was born in North
Carolina, July 5, 1795, and by occupation was a farmer and stock-raiser. He was
reared to manhood in the State of his nativity, whence he removed to Tennessee,
and later went with a brother to Washington county, Indiana. There he was united
in marriage with Miss Ellen, daughter of Abram Colclaseur. As a mere boy he
served during the war of 1812 in the capacity of a hostler. After his marriage
he and his wife began their domestic life in Washington county, but subsequently
removed to Effingham county, Illinois, where the father died in 1885, in his
eighty-eighth year. His wife passed away at the same place, in the eighty-second
year of her age. The paternal grandfather of our subject, John Hardin, was born
and reared in North Carolina, but spent his last days in Indiana. He was of
Scotch-Irish extraction. His father was Eichabud Hardin, who emigrated from
England to the United States and reared a family of thirteen sons, all of whom
reached years of maturity.
subject is the third in order of birth in a family of eleven children, seven
sons and four daughters, all of whom reach adult age, were married and had
families of their own. Elisha spent his boyhood days in Washington county, and
attended the public schools, pursuing his education in a log school-house with
slab seats and other primitive furniture. The teacher himself had advanced
little beyond the rudiments of knowledge, but Mr. Hardin managed to acquire a
fair English education, and through experience and observation has become a well
informed man. He remained upon the home farm until he had attained his majority,
and aided in the work of the fields through the summer months. In his twentieth
year he began teaching school in Washington county, following that pursuit
through five winter seasons.
1848 Mr. Hardin arrived in Marion county, Iowa, and took up his residence upon a
farm three miles northwest of what is now the town site of Pleasantville. There
he entered 200 acres of land from the Government and still holds the title to
that place. Not a furrow had been turned or an improvement made thereon; but
with characteristic energy he began its development and in course of time waving
fields of grain replaced the once barren tract. From time to time he added to
his property until at the present time he owns 840 acres of valuable land, the
greater part of which is under a high state of cultivation. For forty years he
resided upon that farm. He has made a specialty of stock-raising, having had
large numbers of horses and mules upon his place, and having devoted particular
attention to the breeding of cattle. In his various undertakings he has
prospered. Careful management and energy have been two important factors in his
success and are qualities which always insure prosperity.
1888 Mr. Hardin removed from the farm to Indianola, Iowa, where he resided for
three years, during which time he was connected with the banking interests of
that place, being a stockholder and director and the vice-president of the First
National Bank, in which he still retains an interest. In 1892 he organized the
Citizens' Bank, of Milo, Warren county, of which he was president for a time,
but he has now sold his interest in that institution. In 1888 he became
interested in the Citizens' Bank, of Pleasantville, of which he is now a
director, and he was also one of the directors of the First National Bank, of
Knoxville, having been thus officially connected with the institution for twenty
years. His connection with the various banking institutions of central Iowa has
led to a close and systematic study of the financial questions of the country,
and he expresses himself strongly in favor of the free coinage of silver.
the 15th of September, 1846, Mr. Hardin was united in marriage with Miss Nancy
K. Polson, daughter of Thomas Polson. By their union have been born ten
children, six of whom are living, namely: Mary E., Martha A., Sarah A., Leander
M., Cora A., and Hattie J. Those deceased are John T., Susan Caroline, Sophronia
B., and an infant son.
Ebenezer Williams Hartman, who has been
closely identified with the interests of Warren county for almost half a
century, was born at Mansfield, Ohio, January 24, 1834, a son of John D. and
Margaret (Parker) Hartman, natives of Pennsylvania.
The parents were married in Ohio, whither they had accompanied their
parents with the tide of Westward emigration.
The father was a merchant at Mansfield until the time of his departure
for the West, and after he located in Iowa he continued that occupation,
together with farming and the real-estate business.
He entered Government land, and subsequently laid out a town upon a
portion of his farm, which became the thriving village of Hartford, in the
northeast corner of Warren county. There
he erected the family home, which he maintained for many years, finally selling
out and removing to California. In
October, 1878, while on a visit to his children here, he was stricken with
disease, and died at the home of our subject in Indianola.
His wife, who was seventeen years his junior, still lives with her son at
Clarkson, and is now seventy-nine years of age.
Mr. and Mrs. Hartman were the parents of six children, namely: Ebenezer
W., the subject of this sketch; William H., a farmer, merchant and Postmaster at
Clarkson, Warren county; Sarah J., wife f Thomas J. Deacon, of Des Moines; David
H., a successful agriculturist of Iron Mountain, Missouri; Vienna M., wife of
James E. Deacon, a brother of Thomas J., and a resident of Napa, California; and
one deceased in infancy. William H.
and David H. each shouldered a musket and went to the front in defense of the
Union during the late Civil war, and Ebenezer W. was rejected on physical
examination when a candidate for like honors.
Ebenezer Williams Hartman accompanied his parents
to Iowa before the State was admitted to the Union, in August, 1846.
At that time the Territory was not blessed with a "schoolhouse on
every hilltop and a saloon in the valley," and the early education of our
subject was somewhat limited. However,
he attained a fair knowledge of the elementary branches, to which, by careful
systematic study, he has added a most thorough professional education.
He is also exceptionally well informed upon current events. Much of his life work is of a semi-public character.
He learned the mercantile business with his father, and, on attaining his
majority, established himself in business at Hartford, remaining there until
1862. Having been previously
selected as Deputy Sheriff of warren county, he then disposed of his stock of
goods and moved his family to Indianola. Since
coming to this city Mr. Hartman has devoted much of his time to public life.
He served seven consecutive years as Justice of the Peace in this city,
held the position of Mayor for a time, and after its organization as a city of
the second class he served nine years as City Clerk. In 1873 Mr. Hartman was admitted to the bar as a practicing
attorney, and at once formed a partnership with Hon. Lewis Todhunter, which
existed until the retirement from practice of the senior member of the firm.
Mr. Hartman and his son Harry have a complete and valuable set of
abstract books of Warren county, and their principal business at present is in
the line of insurance, abstracting and loaning money.
For many years our subject has taken great
interest in the principles of Odd Fellowship, and has been honored by the order
as have but few. He has filled
every position from the humblest in a subordinate lodge to the highest within
the gift of the State, having filled most of the minor positions in the Grand
Encampment and Grand Lodge of Iowa, and has on two occasions attained the
prominence of the highest official stations in these grand bodies.
Mr. Hartman was elected Grand Patriarch of Iowa, serving in 1870-1,
following which he was twice elected to the office of Grand Representative,
meeting with and being a member of the Sovereign Grand Lodge at its meeting in
Baltimore in 1873; at Atlanta, Georgia, in 1874; at Indianapolis in 1875, and at
Philadelphia in 1876. In 1887 the crowning glory of Odd Fellowship in Iowa was
conferred upon him, in his selection as Grand Master. In 1890 he was again returned to the Sovereign Grand Lodge as
Grand Representative of the Iowa Grand Lodge, attending the meeting at Topeka,
Kansas, in 1890, and at St. Louis in the following year.
No man in Iowa stands higher in the estimation of the brotherhood than
does Past Grand Master Hartman. As
a presiding officer he was always prompt, accurate and just.
His decisions were never hasty, but always sustained by the law of the
order; for, like the hero of old, he believed in the doctrine, "Be sure you
are right, then go head." His
reports and addresses to the order always evinced thoughtful and careful
preparation, and commanded the profound respect and consideration of his
superiors in office. In politics
Mr. Hartman is not aggressive, but has been a life-long Republican.
In religious affairs he is an active and influential member of the
Missionary Baptist Church.
Mr. Hartman has been thrice married, his first
wife being Miss Celia McKinney, a native of Ohio.
They had two children: Charles
Walton, of Los Angeles, California; and Hattie Maude, deceased in early
childhood. A year after his removal
to Indianola Mr. Hartman was called to mourn the death of his wife.
In 1864 he wedded Miss Sallie McKee, a native of Indiana, and they had
three children: Estella A., at
home; Ida E., deceased in young womanhood; and Harry H., who is now associated
with his father in business. After
fourteen years of happy wedded life the home was again invaded by the dread
destroyer, death, and the wife and mother was removed.
The present companion of Mr. Hartman was Mrs. Anna R. Dale, nee
Sullenberger, a native of West Virginia. She
had two sons by her former marriage: Harry
M., a practicing physician of Indianola; and William A., a printer in Indiana.
The subject of this sketch is a descendant of two of the pioneer families of the famous Lancaster county of Pennsylvania. He was born in Cumberland county, that State, October 7, 1844, one of the nine children of John and Fannie (Erb) Hartzler, all of whom are living except one. The names of his brothers and sisters are as follows: Mary, wife of Joseph Ruhl, Cumberland county, Pennsylvania; John, on the old homestead in Pennsylvania; Samuel, Cumberland county; Daniel; Annie, wife of Jacob Herr; Barbara, wife of John Greble, and Harry, - the last four being residents of Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
John Hartzler, the father, was born in Lancaster county, near the city of that name, in the year 1800, and when five years of age removed with his father's family to Cumberland county, where his life was spent. He was a farmer, enterprising and successful, and after he was retired from active life spent his closing years in the city of Carlisle, where he died at the age of seventy-seven. His wife, nee Fannie Erb, was also a native of Lancaster county, born in the year 1805, daughter of Rev. John Erb and Catherine, his wife, both natives of Lancaster county. Her father was a Mennonite preacher, and lived to be sixty years of age. Mrs. Hartzler died at the age of seventy-five. Grandfather Abram Hartzler was born in Lancaster county in the year 1769. That place continued to be his home until 1805, when he removed to Cumberland county, where he died at the age of eighty-seven years. He was a well-known and highly respected man. His father, the great-grandfather of our subject, was the progenitor of the Hartzler family in this country, having emigrated from his native land, Switzerland, to America far back in the Colonial period, and made settlement among the earliest pioneers of the Keystone State. He died in Pennsylvania, at a good old age.
Abram Hartzler, whose name graces this sketch, started out on his own responsibility early in life. He was married in October, 1868, to Miss Fannie Strickler, a native of Carlisle and a daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Brenneman) Strickler, she being one of their six children. Her parents were Lancaster people by birth, and by occupation her father was a farmer. He died at the age of seventy-six years; her mother, at forty-two. Mr. and Mrs. Hartzler have nine children living, namely: Traub, Lincoln township, Warren county, Iowa; Ada; Effie, wife of William Spray, Indianola, Iowa; Harry, also of Indianola; and John, Lula, Berty, Frank and Katie, at home.
Mr. Hartzler has always been engaged in farming, and on a large scale. In the year 1887 he came West to Iowa and took charge of the noted Bozler farm near Indianola, a property comprising about 1,000 acres, where he has since carried on his operations, cultivating some 250 acres, chiefly in corn and oats, and utilizing the rest of the land for stock purposes. He is one of the noted stock men of this region. He keeps from 150 to 200 head of cattle, a large flock of sheep, and between 100 and 150 hogs. Also he deals to a great extent in horses, owning, buying and selling, and frequently making shipments to Pennsylvania. His cattle market is Chicago.
In politics Mr. Hartzler is a strong Republican, deeply interested in the principles represented by his party. During the war he enlisted in the Two Hundred and Ninth Regiment of Pennsylvania, Company A, and went to the front, where he rendered the Union valiant service until he was honorably discharged in June, 1865, at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Such, in brief, is a review of the life of one of Warren county's most enterprising and broad-gauge men.
gentleman is entitled to distinction as one of the pioneer merchants of Russell,
Iowa. He has witnessed the growth of Russell from a small hamlet to a prosperous
town containing 600 people, and has not only been a witness to this growth but
also has been an active participant in bringing it about, and it is appropriate
that in this connection more than a passing notice be made of him.
J. Hatcher was born in Belmont, Ohio, April 29, 1837, son of Mahlan and Nancy (Hatcher)
Hatcher, and the sixth born in their family of nine children, - six sons and
three daughters. Six of this number are still living, namely: Mrs. H. H. Day,
Chariton, Iowa; Albert, for the past fifteen years at the head of a millinery
establishment at Chariton, Iowa; E. J., whose name graces this article; Sarah,
wife of M. H. Cloas, Beaver, Pennsylvania; Ruth, wife of David Webster, a
stock-raiser in the State of Washington; and William, a foundryman of Chariton.
Mahlan Hatcher was born in Loudoun county, Virginia, in 1802. His father also
was named Mahlan. The elder Mahlan Hatcher was a native of the Empire State, but
the greater part of his life was spent in Belmont county, Ohio. He moved to Iowa
in 1868, where his wife died. He died in Chariton, this State.
subject of our sketch was reared on a farm and has all his life been more or
less interested in agricultural pursuits. He started out on his own
responsibility at the age of seventeen, and when he was twenty-two came West to
Iowa, crossing the Mississippi at Burlington and coming direct to the western
part of Lucas county, where he secured work on a farm and where he remained
year. Then he came to the east end of the county and settled three miles
northwest of Russell, where he purchased 200 acres of land, the purchase,
however, not being made until after he had lived on this farm three years. It
was in 1860 that he moved here and on the place at that time was a little frame
house, 16 x 24 feet, a story and a half. Here he and his bride began
housekeeping. In the purchase of this 200 acres he was assisted by his father,
and subsequently as prosperity attended his efforts he was enabled to purchase
160 acres more. To the management and care of this farm he still gives his
personal attention. For a number of years he ahs been engaged in mercantile
pursuits in Russell. For eleven years he occupied the building now used by Mr.
Clark and since 1892 has been in his present commodious quarters. This building,
40 x 70 feet, is of brick, two stories and basement, with ware-rooms adjoining
it. He erected it in 1892 and opened its doors for business in October of that
year. His store is one of the best equipped in the county. He carries a full
line of general merchandise, including hardware and queensware, and for the past
six years has also handled farming implements for the Milwaukee Harvester
Company and Walter A. Wood, and from a small beginning his business has grown to
be a large and lucrative one.
8, 1861, Mr. Hatcher was united in marriage to Miss Henrietta Berry, a native of
Belmont county, Ohio, and a daughter of John Berry, also a native of that
county. Mrs. Henrietta Hatcher departed this life in 1880, and a monument in
Chariton cemetery marks her last resting place. She was a devoted Christian and
at the time of her death was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
November 8, 1882, Mr. Hatcher married Miss Mattie Rosemond, a native of Guernsey
county, Ohio, and a daughter of James Rosemond. The Rosemond family removed to
Scott county, Iowa, about 1856. By his first wife the subject of our sketch had
six children, four daughters and two sons, three of whom are living, namely:
Anna B., wife of Franklin Yountsey, a farmer of Benton township, this county,
Mrs. Yountsey being a musician of some note; and Holly and Hallie, twins, the
former at home and the latter in the store with his father. Holly and Hallie
received their commercial education in a business college at Indianola. Three of
the children died in early childhood - Jinky, Mamie and Henrietta.
Hatcher cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln and has ever since
acted with the Republican party, taking an intelligent and active interest in
political matters, but never seeking official position for himself. He and his
family are identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is a
liberal supporter. In every way a public-spirited and generous citizen, he has
by both his influence and means done much to promote the general welfare of
Russell. His residence, which is located one block south and two blocks west of
his store, is one of the most attractive and delightful homes in this prosperous
Hatcher, a machinist and foundryman of Chariton, Iowa, is a native of Belmont
county, Ohio, born October 27, 1845. His parents were Mahlon B. and Nancy (Hatcher)
Hatcher, both of whom were natives of Virginia but not related. The paternal
grandfather was a miller of the Old Dominion and both branches of the family
have long been established in this country. They are a long-lived people, mostly
following agricultural pursuits, are tall of stature and rather above medium
size. the father of our subject was an early settler of Belmont county, Ohio,
where he opened up a new farm in the midst of the wilderness; his family
numbered six sons and three daughters, seven of whom are yet living, namely:
Rebecca, now Mrs. Day, of Chariton; Joseph, who died in New York city; Samuel, a
resident of Kansas City; Albert, a merchant of Chariton; Joshua Gregg, who died
in Chariton in middle life; Mrs. Sarah Close, of Beaver, Pennsylvania; Elijah,
who is engaged in general merchandising in Russell, Iowa; Mrs. Ruth Webster, of
Vancouver, Washington; and William F.
last named served an apprenticeship to the machinist business at the roundhouse
in Burlington, Iowa, and in 1864 came to Lucas county, where he followed farming
for a few years. He then entered the army as a member of Company K, Forty-sixth
Iowa Infantry, for one hundred days' service, and during most of the time did
duty at Memphis, Tennessee. On the expiration of his term he returned to Lucas
county and resumed farming, to which he devoted his time and energies until
1870, when he came to Chariton. the following year he purchased his machine shop
and later added the foundry and the pump manufactory. The machine department is
a general repair shop, and he also does a general foundry business, casting
building columns, general house castings, etc. He manufactures the Hatcher Pump,
a brass-lined and brass-cylinder pump, very popular and very serviceable. His
shops have been twice destroyed by fire, and as he had no insurance upon them
his loss was very heavy, amounting to $3,000 the first time and $1,800 the
second; but with characteristic energy he set to work to retrieve his lost
possessions and is now doing a good business.
Hatcher was married in Lucas county, September 1, 1869, to Miss Mary Evans, a
native of Steubenville, Ohio. Two children bless this union. Robert, the elder
of whom is now engaged in merchandising in Colfax, Illinois, is married and has
one child; and Oliver is employed in his father's shop.
his political relations Mr. Hatcher is a Republican. He has been engineer of the
city fire department for several years. He was also Street Commissioner for two
or three years, and has ever been a public- spirited and progressive citizen,
who manifests a deep and abiding interest in all that pertains to the welfare of
the community. Socially he is connected with the Grand Army of the Republic, the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Ancient Order of the United Workmen.
His wife and son Oliver are members of the Episcopal Church, and the Hatcher
family is one of prominence in the community, the members of the household
having many warm friends who esteem them highly. Mr. Hatcher has ever lived the
life of an upright, honorable man and naught can be said against him.
JOHN CARY HEADLEE, Guthrie Center, Iowa, is one of the well-known citizens of this (Guthrie) county, having been here since 1856.
Mr. Headlee was born in Noble county, Ohio, February 28, 1835. His father, Francis Headlee, was a Virginian by birth and a son of John Headlee. The Headlees are of French origin and were for many years prominent citizens of the Old Dominion. Francis Headlee married Miss Mary Cree, who was of Irish descent. They came west to Guthrie county, Iowa, in 1866, and here passed the closing years of their lives, his death occurring at the age of seventy-six years, and hers at eighty-two. They were the parents of eleven children, as follows: Penelope, Luther, Sarah, George, John C., Esther, Francis, Mary, Daniel, Dwight, and one that died in infancy. The father was a farmer during his active life. In politics he was a Democrat and in his religious belief he was broad and liberal. His son Francis was a soldier in the late war, serving through that struggle as a member of an Ohio regiment.
On his father's farm in Noble county, Ohio, the subject of our sketch spent his boyhood days. While his educational advantages were limited, he was early taught the important lessons of honesty and industry. Much of his time was spent in chopping and grubbing in the "clearing," and in tilling the soil. During the winter months he attended school in a log school-house, and the education re received there was extended by home reading and study and by actual business. On attaining his majority he came to Iowa, the journey hither being made by boat to Marietta, Ohio, and on down the river to Cairo, Illinois, and thence up to Keokuk. From Keokuk he drove through to Guthrie county. Arrived here, he purchased 160 acres of land where he now resides, on section 9 of Baker township, and he also bought eighty acres in Bear Grove township. Here he first put up a rude shanty and subsequently erected his modern residence, which is 28 x 30 feet, with an L 14 x 18 feet. Near the house is a fine orchard of two acres. To his original purchase he has from time to time added other lands until now his farm contains 400 acres, mostly rich land along Seeley creek, and all well improved. His barn is 36 x 60 feet with 16-foot posts, and a rock basement. The hay barn, which is 24 x 72 feet, has a capacity of eighty tons. Besides his home farm Mr.. Headlee owns 500 acres elsewhere, all of which is devoted to general farming and stock-raising.
Mr. Headlee was married April 24, 1869, to Miss Mary D. Herron, daughter of William and Rachel Herron. She was born and reared in Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Headlee are the parents of six children, viz.: Theresa, wife of Daniel Lobdel, of Baker township, this county; Hallie, wife of Logan Rice, also of this township; John C., Jr.; Abbie; Lettie; Thurman; and Willard, deceased.
In politics Mr. Headlee is a Democrat; but has never aspired to office as his extensive farming operations have kept him sufficiently occupied. He is a member of the Masonic order, Orange Lodge, No. 123 Mr. Headlee is a self-made man. His strong physique, clear intellect and earnest ambition have combined to make him a useful and successful citizen.
Mills Hightower, one of the representative farmers and highly respected citizens
of Madison township, Madison county, Iowa, dates his birth in Jefferson county,
East Tennessee, November 10, 1838.
Hightower, his father, was born either in Tennessee or one of the Carolinas - it
is not known which - and was by occupation a farmer.
Grandfather Allen Hightower was a native of South Carolina. The
mother of our subject, nee Rachel Mills, was born in east Tennessee, daughter of
Samuel Mills, of Carolina, and a member of a Quaker family.
It was in east Tennessee that John and Rachel Hightower were married.
They continued to reside there until 1843, when they moved to Henry
county, Iowa, where they made settlement and where he died shortly afterward.
She subsequently became the wife of Stephen Hockett, and in 1865 they
moved from Henry to Dallas county, where she is still living, now in her
She is the mother of two sons and one daughter.
The daughter, Elizabeth, is deceased, and the son, Joseph, is a resident
of Dallas county.
M., the eldest of these three, was five years old at the time the family removed
to Henry county, Iowa, and in the district schools of the latter county he
received his education.
At about the age of eighteen years he began working out by the month, and
was employed in this way until the time of his marriage, in 1863.
After that event he settled on a farm in Henry county, continued there
two years, and in 1865 became a resident of Madison county, where he has ever
His farm here comprises 160 acres, its location being on section 7 of
While he is engaged in general farming, he makes a specialty of feeding
stock and frequently makes shipments to distant markets, and at times he has
also bought and sold stock.
Hightower was married in Henry county, Iowa, January 29, 1863, to Elizabeth
Smith, a native of Ohio, reared partly in that State and partly in Henry county,
They are the parents of three daughters and one son, viz.: Clara, wife of
S. E. Thompson, of Earlham, Iowa; Leona, wife of T. Williams, a farmer, of
Madison county; Alice, at home; and Clyde, also at home and assisting in the
Hightower is Republican in his political views, and has been ever since he cast
his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln.
He was a Justice of the Peace for a number of years, and at this writing
is serving as Township Trustee.
He and his family are members of the Friends' Church.
numbered among Warren county's pioneers, having been identified with its
upbuilding and development since 1846.
When he cast in his lot with the early settlers, locating on section 14,
there was not a settlement in Otter township.
From that time up to the present he has been numbered among the valued
citizens of the community, and with pleasure we present the record of his life
to our readers.
He was born in Caswell county, North Carolina, on the 12th of March,
1827, in a primitive log house.
His father, Allen S. P. Hightower, was a carpenter by trade, and divided
his attention between that business and farming.
He married Miss Elizabeth Hatcher, a Virginian, and to them were born a
family of eight children, of whom Thomas is the youngest.
All were natives of North Carolina except Allen L., whose birth occurred
in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
A brief record of this family we herewith give.
Gregory, the eldest, died in Missouri;
Jane became the wife of Thomas Hodge, of Randolph county, Missouri, but
both are now deceased; Allen L., died in Jackson, Tennessee; Robert M. died in
Otter township, Warren county, in 1888, and was laid to rest in the Hammondsburg
cemetery; John died in Henry county, Iowa, in 1843; Frances is the deceased wife
of William Dorren, of White Oak township, Warren county, now living in Boone
county, Iowa; Mary A. E.., living on the old homestead, is the widow of John H.
Hobbs, who died in Henry county, Iowa, in 1853; and Thomas completes the family.
The father was a soldier in the war of 1812.
He removed with his family to east Tennessee when Thomas was a child of
While there residing the mother died and Mr. Hightower afterward wedded
Miss Kimbo, a native of Tennessee.
They became the parents of two children
Nancy a., now the wife of Mr. Hennis, a farmer of Tennessee, and Joshua
Harrison, who was born on the day that William Henry Harrison was inaugurated as
president of the United States.
He is also an agriculturist of his native State.
paternal grandfather of our subject, Raleigh Hightower, died in Caswell county,
Accompanied by two brothers he crossed the Atlantic from the Emerald Isle
- the place of his nativity - to America.
The maternal grandfather, William Hatcher, was born in England, and
coming to this country in an early day aided the Colonies in their struggle for
independence, valiantly serving for seven long years.
He was afterward granted a pension as a reward for his efficient aid.
subject of this sketch was reared and educated in Tennessee, and in the spring
of 1843 emigrated Westward, accompanied by his brother John and two sisters.
They located in Henry county, but after a short residence there Mr.
Hightower removed to Keokuk county in the spring of 1845, and the following year
came to Warren county.
In 1867, he wedded Miss Amanda M. Graham, daughter of James C. Graham and
a native of Kentucky.
Their only child, Francis Monroe, died at the age of eleven months.
March, 1846, Mr. Hightower secured a squatter's claim and his nearest neighbor
at that time was David Laird, who lived in Washington township, three and a half
The country was wild and unimproved, the greater part of the land being
still in its primitive condition.
Wolves were frequently seen in the neighborhood, and manifested their
presence by occasional depredations in the chicken-house and sheepfold.
Mr. Hightower has killed many of these animals.
He has also seen as many as fifty deer in this region.
He erected a little log cabin sixteen feet square, and his home was
shared by R. M. Hightower, who has long since departed this life.
Adjoining was his brother's farm, and the two places are now comprised in
the town of Hammondsburg.
The land at that time, however, was unsurveyed.
The farm of our subject was partially covered with light timber and brush
and the remaining portion was an unbroken prairie.
With characteristic energy he began to clear and improve this, fields
were plowed and crops planted, and in course of time abundant harvests were
He is an enterprising, progressive farmer, and through his earnest labors
developed one of the best farms of the neighborhood.
He also aided in organizing the township, and in platting Hammondsburg,
and assisted in erecting the first house in the pretty little city of Indianola.
When the land came into market he purchased forty acres at the land
office in Chariton, and subsequently eighty acres in Fairfield.
From that time until the present he has been actively identified with the
upbuilding of the community.
Mr. Hightower is a Democrat, having supported that party since casting his first
vote for Zachary Taylor.
Few men are more widely known in Warren county, and none are held in
higher esteem than Thomas Hightower.
Samuel Hockett, Redfield, Iowa, is well known in this part of the State for the prominent part he has taken as a worker in the Friends' Church. On
coming to Iowa, in 1881, he organized the church of which he is now Presiding Elder, starting with a membership of less than twenty and in a
few years increasing it to upwards of sixty. At present, however, its membership numbers only about forty. Besides his efficient work here he
has been largely instrumental in advancing the cause of Christ elsewhere.
Samuel Hockett dates his birth in Randolph county, Indiana, May 9, 1835,
he being the eleventh in a family of twelve children. When he was three years old his parents removed with their family to Henry county, Iowa.
This was just previous to the first Government land sale, and, when the United States sold what had been the haunts and hunting grounds of the
Black Hawk warriors, his father purchased a half section of land at $1.25 per acre. Joseph Hockett, the father, was a native of Randolph
county, North Carolina, was of English extraction, and when ten years of age removed with his parents to Highland county, Ohio. He died in June,
1846, at the age of fifty-seven years. Early in life he was united in marriage to Miss Martha Smith, a Virginian by birth who traced her
ancestry back to the Emerald Isle. She survived her husband a number of years, her death occurring in 1877, at the age of eighty-three.
Reared on the frontier, the subject of our sketch had limited
educational advantages, his schooling being confined to the typical district schools of that day. He may well be termed self-educated, for
the greater part of his wide range of knowledge has been gained by observation and by home reading and study. He remained with his mother
until attaining his majority, after which he commenced farming for himself, and for forty-four years he farmed in the same county, and with
the exception of a year or so lived within sight of his mother's home. However, during all these years farming was not his only vocation; he
was constantly working for the Lord. Indeed, he has spent the greater part of his life in the pulpit, and much of his time as well as money in
charities. In the spring of 1881 he sold his farm of 105 acres and came to Dallas county, selecting his location in Linn township, where he
purchased his present property, comprising 160 acres. Here he has since lived with the exception of three years in Greene county, whither he
went to take charge of two churches, one of which was across the line in Calhoun county. At the time he settled in Dallas county his place was
only slightly improved; the first year he and his family suffered not a little from the severity of the weather, and the outlook was enough to
make homesick the bravest hearts. But Samuel Hockett was not one of the kind to be discouraged long, and his determined and well directed
efforts soon gave a different aspect to the place. To-day his farm is ranked with the best improved ones in the township. Besides his own
comfortable residence, he has a good tenant-house.
Mr. Hockett has been married three times. June 8, 1856, he wedded Sarah
Cook, a native of Iowa, who died January 20, 1862, without issue. He was again married, March 22, 1866, this time to Annie Jane Trueblood, a
native of Indiana, whose life was blended with his for a period of twenty-five years, and who passed away June 20, 1891, leaving not only a
devoted husband but also a family of seven children to mourn their loss. She had one other child, Clinton, that died in infancy. Those living
are Clifton, Alice, Hermon, Lydia, Milo, Howard and Grace. Deprived of early school advantages himself, Mr. Hockett has made it a
point to afford his children good education and fit them to occupy useful positions in life. Miss Lydia is now a popular and successful
teacher. November 29, 1891, was consummated Mr. Hockett's marriage to Mrs. Frances E. Taylor, nee Warren, his present companion. She is a
native of New York, and has a son, Clarence, by her marriage to William R. Taylor.
Politically, Mr. Hockett has been an ardent Republican ever since he
cast his first vote for John C. Fremont.
M. Howard, who owns and occupies a fine farm of 120 acres, located on section
23, Walnut township, Dallas county, Iowa, and whose post-office is Campbell, is
another one of the leading citizens and successful farmers of this county. His
land is well improved and in a high state of cultivation, and in connection with
his general farming he is interested in stock- raising, and has an ambition to
keep only the best breeds of stock.
Howard was born near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, June 24, 1848, son of R. and A. M.
(Davis) Howard, the former a native of England and the latter of Marion county,
Ohio. Mr. R. Howard was a saw-mill man and owned a mill near Milwaukee. He died
the year following the birth of our subject, and when Francis was three years
old his mother gave him to a Mr. James Brundidge, a hotel man of Worthington,
Ohio. When the boy was eight years old Mr. Brundidge came out West and located
on a farm in Polk county, Iowa, and here the next seven years of his life were
spent. When he was fifteen he went to Des Moines and entered upon an
apprenticeship to the book-binder's trade, which business he followed for a
period of fifteen years. In 1879 he bought the farm he has since occupied.
28, 1872, Mr. Howard was united in marriage to Miss M. E. Swander, who was born
and reared in Moline, Illinois, the date of her birth being January 12, 1853.
Their union has been blessed in the birth of five children, as follows: Eva R.,
born March 28, 1874; Edwin H., January 17, 1876; Charles L., December 27, 1879;
Lucy, July 12, 1885; and Anna M., November 5, 1888.
Howard is a Republican in his political relations. He cast his first
presidential vote for General Grant, has maintained his allegiance to the party
ever since, and, while he is not a politician, he takes a commendable interest
in party affairs. In their religious belief he and his wife are Universalists.
Dr. Charles H. Hunt, a popular, successful and able dentist, of Oelwein, Iowa, was born in
Utica, New York, October 9, 1837, descending from a family of English origin. His paternal grandparents were Andrew and Anna (McDougal) Hunt,
and their son, Dr. Jeremiah Hunt, was the father of our subject. He was born near Albany, New York, October 19, 1813, and in early life studied
medicine, becoming a regular practitioner. He was graduated at the medical college at Herkimer, New York, and began practice in Utica, that
State, but his progressive views and desire for advancement led him to investigate the new theories and practices of homeopathy. Ultimately he
attended the Cleveland Homeopathic School, completed the course at that institution, and was ever afterward a pronounced advocate of the new
system. His next place of residence was in Syracuse, New York, where he prosecuted his chosen profession for several years, then removed with
his family to McGregor, Iowa, in 1870, making his home there until his death, which occurred September 19, 1881. He married Julia A. Kimball,
who was born in New York February 13, 1815, and survived him ten years, passing away in McGregor June 9, 1891. In December following their
remains were removed from the cemetery at McGregor and transferred to the old family burying-ground in Syracuse, New York.
Dr. and Mrs. Hunt had a family of three children, of whom Charles H., of
this review, is the eldest. William, the second, enlisted for service in the Union army, and was shot at Petersburg, a poisoned ball entering
the right knee, following along the bone and entering the body. He died in August, 1865, in the Chesapeake hospital, and was buried in the
family cemetery at Syracuse, New York. Alfred O., the youngest, was one of the founders of the Iowa Dental College, of Iowa City, and has served
as dean of the institution since its establishment, in 1885. He was married to Miss Maria Church, a native of New York, and they reside in
Dr. Hunt, of this review, acquired his preliminary education in the
public schools near his home, and then entered the Cooperstown College, of Cooperstown, New York, at which he was graduated with the class of
1853. During that time he was a schoolmate of Roscoe Conkling. He then entered the dental office of Dr. H. R. White and studied dentistry,
practicing at the same time. He further fitted himself for his chosen calling by his attendance at the dental college of Onondaga, New York,
at which institution he was graduated in 1854, with the degree of D.D.S. He then opened an office of his own in Utica, New York, where he
remained for four years, when he removed to McGregor, Iowa, continuing at that point until 1890. He next engaged in practice in Waukon, Iowa,
and since 1894 has been established in business in Oelwein. He is one of the most efficient and capable members of the profession in this part
of the State, and keeps fully abreast with the rapid strides in the direction of perfecting their art made by the profession. His genial,
social manner has made him friends in the various places where he has pursued his profession, and he is now a popular and highly esteemed
citizen of Oelwein. In his political faith he is a Democrat, and he and his wife attend the services of the Episcopal Church.
On the 3d of November, 1890, Dr. Hunt was united in marriage with Miss
Cora Cleveland, a native of Monona, Clayton county, Iowa, born October 8, 1873, the only daughter of Oscar and Mary (Snell) Cleveland. She is
a graduate of the public schools of Monona, and a cultured, intelligent lady. By her marriage, she has become the mother of one child, -
Freddie C., - born in Postville, Iowa, May 10, 1892.
Henry Hunt , one of the representative farmers of Dallas county, was born in
Washington county, Maryland, March 8, 1831. His parents were of German extraction, and were poor, being unable to give him any more than a
common-school education. After reaching a sufficient age Henry began on the farm, and at the age of sixteen years he obtained employment on a
neighboring place, but was obliged to give his earnings to his father until he became of age. For three years after reaching his majority Mr.
Hunt found work, but wages were very low, and it was only by being very saving that he managed to save money enough to enable him to come to
Iowa in 1854 and enter a farm of 200 acres. In 1859 he traded that place for the farm he now owns, which was partially improved, but he was
obliged to go in debt for a part of the place. Since locating on this farm Mr. Hunt has been fairly successful, having added many
improvements, and has given each member of his family the advantages of a good education.
February 17, 1856, he returned to Maryland, and was there married to Ann
E. Myers, also of German ancestry. After marriage they spent three years in Indiana, and returned to Iowa in the spring of 1859, locating
on his farm of 120 acres. In 1872 Mr. Hunt became clear of debt, and he then built the fine house which adorns his farm, also new barns; these
improvements costing a great deal, again put him in debt. It was then that the memorable hard times of 1873 came on, and, had his
creditors pushed him, he would have lost all, but he was known as an honest man,
and he was given all the time he needed. Today he is not only out of debt, but has a snug sum laid by for a "rainy day." Although born and
raised in a Southern State, Mr. Hunt's sympathies were with the North during the war, and since the close of that struggle he has been a
Ten children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hunt and with one exception all
grew to years of maturity, but three of them are now deceased, one of whom left a little daughter, whom our subject raised and educated. He
has also the care of two of his son's children. The seven living children reside in this State. The family attend the Christian church,
although Mr. Hunt is a freethinker.
Patrick H. Hynes
is one of the younger yet prominent representatives of commercial
interests in Monroe county. He is now secretary of the Smoky Hollow Coal Company, of Avery, and secretary and manager of the Avery Supply
He was born April 14, 1865, in Boylesville, Champaign county, Ohio, and is of Irish lineage, his parents, Patrick and Mary (Short) Hynes, having
been natives of the Emerald Isle. In that country they were married, and on crossing the briny deep to the New World took up their residence
in Ohio, where they followed farming. In 1870 they became residents of Iowa, and the father carried on agricultural pursuits near Keokuk until
his death, which occurred in 1871. His wife survived him for many years, and passed away in Avery, in September, 1890.
The family of Mr. and Mrs. Hynes numbered four children: Patrick H., of this review; Faley, who is now superintendent of the Smoky Hollow Coal
Company, and married Miss Emma Pettit, by whom he had two children, William and John; Maggie, wife of Andrew Butler, by whom she has one
son, John; and John, deceased. The surviving members of this family are all residents of Avery.
Mr. Hynes of this review was reared to manhood in his parents' home, and attended school in Beacon. Subsequently he engaged in Elliott's
Business College, of Burlington, that he might fit himself for life's practical duties. He began his business career as a carpenter and coal
miner, and carried on work in those lines until his election as secretary of the Smoky Hollow Coal Company, of Avery. He thoroughly
understands the business in all its details, and is therefore capable of directing others. He embodies the spirit of the times in his
enterprising, progressive business methods, is a popular young man, highly esteemed both in business and social circles, and he has many
friends in this locality.