Guthrie and Adair Counties, Iowa
Among the prominent men of this township [Valley], we must not fail to mention William C. Bates, who was born in Noble county, Ohio, on the 17th of October, 1843. He moved with his parents to Washington county, Ohio, and then to Guernsey county, Ohio, where his mother died in March, 1865. William came to Guthrie county on the 27th of April, 1867, and settled in Baker township. He was married on the 1st of September, 1874, to Miss Hannah E. Rose, a daughter of E. A. and Jane (Thompson) Rose. They have three children whose names are as follows--Sarah J., Effie May and Charles M. In March, 1882, Mr. Bates came to Valley township and settled on section 9, where he owns one hundred and twenty acres of land, part of which is under cultivation. In September, 1864, he enlisted in Company G, 9th Ohio cavalry. He was in Kilpatrick's cavalry, on Sherman's march to the sea, and was mustered out June 17, 1865, at Concord, North Carolina. Mr. Bates was road supervisor and trustee of Baker township, and is a member of the Tracy Post, No. 52, G.A.R.
William W. Biggs is a native of Guernsey county, Ohio, having been born on July 26, 1843. His mother died when he was but one year old, and William was taken to raise by William Irwin, his uncle, of West Liberty, West Virginia. He remained there until he was about twenty-one years of age, when he moved to Henry county, Illinois. In 1866 he went to Hamilton county, Nebraska, and while there was married to Miss Olivia Groves, a daughter of John Groves. They have two children--Ernest L. and Clyde C. William returned to Henry county, Illinois, in the spring of 1875, and there remained until coming to Guthrie county, in February, 1882, where he was appointed superintendent of the county poor farm. He is a member of the Franklin lodge, No. 16, A. O. U. W., of Moline, Illinois.
Stephen F. Bowman, a son of Charles and Catharine (Cochran) Bowman, was born in Vermillion county, Indiana, September 6, 1833. He moved with his parents to Allamakee county, Iowa, in September, 1849, where his mother died, in January, 1853, and his father died in May, 1871. The subject of this sketch was married in Allamakee county, March 29, 1855, to Miss Sarah McGhee. They have four children living--Electa E., Etna, Viola, and Orpha; have four dead--Charles, John, Catherine, and Eliza. Mr. Bowman came to his present location, 1870, and now owns three hundred and fifteen acres of land, mostly under cultivation. He has held the position of road supervisor and school director, and is at present trustee, this being his fifth term.
Elwood Brown, was also a settler of the year 1855, coming here [Valley township] from Blackhawk county, Iowa, and locating on section 21 in the spring of that year. Elwood Brown was born in Hartford county, Maryland, and received an incomplete education at the Bellair acadedmy. His parents died while he was a mere boy, and he went to the home of an uncle in Pennsylvania, from where he soon stepped out into the world to battle for himself, and in early manhood, marrying into a family of Friends, he became a prominent member of that sect. In Lancaster county, where he lived he became one of the "war horses" of the abolition and free soil parties of that day. Although born in a slave state, he early imbibed a hatred to the peculiar institution that clung to him in his later days. During the late civil war, he gave his five boys to his country, that her safety might be assured. Webster was killed by a rebel bullet, while in the discharge of his duty, on the 21st of March, 1865. Frank died from disease contracted in the service, while on his way home. On the 2d of September, 1869, Elwood Brown quietly passed away to that "home not made with hands, eternal in the Heaven," and was laid away in the Guthrie Center cemetery.
James Carbery was born May 20, 1834, in Daugarvan county, Waterford, Ireland, and is the son of Maurice and Johanna (Halley) Carbery. His mother and two brothers and a sister, John, Mary and Thomas, died in Ireland. His father came to Montreal, Canada, in April, 1849, and moved to Pike county, Indiana, in the winter of the same year. In the spring of 1850 he was joined by three surviving sons--Michael, James and Patrick, who landed in New Orleans that year. They moved to LaSalle county, Illinois, in 1853. In April, 1855, they removed to Iowa and settled on section 17, Jackson township, in this county, on a two hundred acre homestead, puchased in 1854. James Carbery went overland to Carson valley, Nevada, in the spring of 1863, where he worked at ranching, and then went to Sacramento valley, in September, 1864, on account of ill health. Returned to Carson Valley in April, 1866, and worked at quartz milling. He was married July 4, 1866, in Carson City, to Miss Celia Finnegan, a native of Castlereagh, county Roscommon, Ireland. He returned with his wife to Jackson township, in November, 1866, where he settled on his farm, on section 17, and where he remained until September 30, 1873, when he moved to Valley township, and settled on section 13, where he now owns three hundred and sixty acres of prairie land, and twenty acres of timber. Mrs. James Carbery died February 2, 1882, leaving six children--Mary Ann, Maurice, Edward, Sabina, Johanna and John Halley.
His [James'] father, Maurice Carbery, who purchased his home in Jackson township, in the summer of 1854, and was the first Irish settler in Guthrie county, returned to it in the spring of 1855, with his family, was born the 21st of January, 1802, and is the son of Michael and Ellen (Mahoney) Carbery. He was married in Ireland, to Miss Johanna Halley, a daughter of Michael and Ellen (Drumme) Halley. His oldest son, Michael, lives on the old homestead, and married Mary Jane Henderson. Patrick, the youngest, married Margaret Dudley, and now lives in Madison county, Nebraska. Patrick enlisted at Panora, in 1863, in Company I, 29th Iowa infantry, and was mustered out at the close of the war.
Isaac M. Clippinger, who resides on section 6, was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, February 22, 1843, being the son of Solomon and Rachel (Meason) Clippinger. His father was a tanner by trade, and in 1847, he moved his family to Groveport, Ohio, where he remained about 5 years, suffering in the meantime a loss of $20,000 by fire, then moved to Ironton, Ohio. In 1857, they moved to Topeka, Kansas. In 1860, leaving the family, he and his son, Isaac, went to the Pike's Peak gold mines, returning to Topeka in the winter of the same year, then with the family returned to Ohio and settled at Lima, in Allen county. Here Isaac was married to Miss Jennie E. Ashton, a daughter of Charles and Mary (Haverfield) Ashton. They have two children, Rosa Frances, and Anna Mary. He came to Guthrie Center in 1877, and moved to his present location [Valley township] in October, of the same year. Mr. Clippinger is a member of Orange Lodge, No. 123, A. F. and A. M., and was master of the same in 1883.
John B. Goff, a prominent farmer and stock-dealer in Valley township, was born in Delaware county, Indiana, July 5, 1844, and is the son of Nathan and Elizabeth Goff. In the fall of 1864 he came with his parents to Madison county, Iowa, where they still reside. John was married there, on the 6th of October, 1865, to Miss Florence Shepherd, a daughter of Bazil L. and Henrietta (Stockman) Shepherd. They have four children--Milton S., Eddie C., Henry F., and Minnie Belle. John moved in Cass township in 1870, and there remained until March, 1884, when he removed to his present location on section 2, where he owns two hundred and fifteen acres of fine land, one hundred acres of which are under cultivation. He raises stock and follows farming in general.
William Hellyer, a native of the "old Keystone State," born in February, 1818, came to Guthrie county in 1855, and purchased a farm on section 18 in Valley township. The following year he improved it, and on the 6th of May, 1857, brought his family here and settled down. In early life he had moved with his parents to Ohio, where he was reared, and where he was united in marriage with Miss Kate Cain, by whom he had two children--N. T., lately a practicing attorney, but now engaged as local historian with the Continental historical company, and V. B., now a resident of Audubon. Mr. Hellyer the elder enlisted in Company C, 4th Iowa infantry, during the late civil war, and died at Springfield, Missouri, on the 27th of May, 1862; his wife died in Guthrie county, July 2, 1860.
John Henderson, a farmer and stockraiser on section 13 [Valley township], came to Guthrie county in the spring of 1855, and settled with his parents in Jackson township. He was born in Lawrence county, Indiana, on the 14th of November, 1845, and there remained ten years, when he came to Guthrie county. He was married in Nevada, Story county, Iowa, October 12, 1867, to Miss Emeline Fenn, by whom he has had four children--Anna Belle, Arthur S., Charles and Jonathan. He came to his present location on section 13, Valley township, in November, 1867. He pays particular attention to the raising of stock. He took the sweepstakes on brood sow at the Iowa state fair, at Des Moines, in 1853. Mr. Henderson is a member of the Panora lodge, No. 121, A. G. and A. M. He has also held several important township offices. He is the fifty-sixth member of the Duroc-Jersey association which has a membership of hundreds in the twenty different states, and he is one of the most enterprising and progressive breeders of fine stock in this section.
Jonathan Henderson, who was a prominent farmer and stock-raiser in Valley township, was born in Virginia, November 19, 1804, and was the son of Jonathan and Jane (Thomas) Henderson, who moved to Lawrence county, Indiana, some few years after. The subject of this sketch was married in Lawrence county, Indiana, in 1828, to Miss Nancy Dale, a daughter of William and Mary (Lisles) Dale. They had eleven children--Mary J., married Michael Carberry; James, married Polly A. Montgomery; William, died in March 1839; Nancy C., married Hiram Payne; Sarah A., died April 14, 1858; Emily E., married James Moody; John, married Emeline Fenn; Samuel, married Ella Halley; Lewis S., died in December, 1872; Lucinda C., married William Mains. Mr. Henderson came to Jackson township, Guthrie Center, in 1855, and settled on section 22, and there remained until the spring of 1879, when he came to Valley township. In August, 1881, Mr. Henderson died, leaving his vidow to mourn his loss, and who now makes her home with her son James.
Ephraim W. Moore, a Baptist minister, located in Valley township on the 1st of June, 1855, and took up a claim on section 1. He was the son of Jesse and Amelia (Stone) Moore, and was born August 3, 1819, in Knox county, Kentucky, but removed from that state to Indiana in an early day, where he was united in marriage with Miss Lucy J. Baranson, of Parke county, by whom he had some eight children. He is now in Indiana, engaged in his calling of carrying the gospel to sinners. His son, Thomas J. Moore, a lad of ten or eleven years when his parents came to this county, is yet a resident of the township.
George J. Moore was born in Park county, Indiana, in December, 1842, and is the son of E. W. and L. J. (Branson) Moore. He came with his parents to Valley township in June, 1855. He was married to Miss Louisa Stephens in the spring of 1863. By this union they have seven children--John G., died November 11, 1864; Elizabeth J., married to Geroge P. Wright; Eunice A., Sarah L., William E., Charles H., and Wilson J. Mr. Moore owns one hundred and ninety-seven acres of land, one hundred and twenty of which is under cultivation, and he raises Hereford stock, and follows general farming. He has been trustee, clerk, and justice of the peace.
Thomas J. Moore, a farmer and stockraiser on section 31, in Valley township, was born in Parke county, Indiana, in November, 1844, and is the son of Ehpraim and Lucy J. (Branson) Moore. His parents came to Valley township in 1855, and settled on section 1. T. J. was married to Miss Margaret Thompson, a daughter of James and Polly (Mann) Thompson. They have two children--Mary J. and George T. Mr. Moore came to his present location on section 31 in 1870, where he owns one hundred and twenty acres of land, over half of which is under cultivation, and raises stock and follows general farming.
Matthew Nesselroad, one of Valley township's prominent citizens, was born December 10, 1830, in Noble county, Ohio, his parents being John and Jane (Grimes) Nesselroad. He was married in October, 1855, to Miss Margaret Parrish, daughter of John and Eleanor (Grimes) Parrish. Mr. and Mrs. Nesselroad are blessed with five children--Luther, Alvin, married to Susan Kessler; Charles H., married to Margaret Miller; Clarence and Eva E. Mr. Nesselroad came to his present location, on section 15, in Valley township, April 7, 1867. He is road supervisor of the district, this being his third term in succession, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He is the possessor of seven hundred acres of fenced land, three hundred and fifty of which are under cultivation, the balance being fine pasture and meadow land. Matthew's success is due to his motto: "What is worth doing at all, is worth doing well."
Thomas G. Northrop, was born in Mahoney county, Ohio, July 20, 1822, being the son of John and Maria (Granger) Northrop. He was married in 1846 to Miss Isabella Wolffram, a daughter of Gustavus and Margaret (Hetrick) Wolffram. They have five children, four of whom are married--Charles G., Almira A., Winfield S., Henry D. and Emma. Mr. Northrop came to Clayton county, Iowa, in 1853, where he remained five years, and returned to Mahoney county, Ohio, where he stayed until 1869, when he went to Pulaski county, Missouri. In 1876 he came to Guthrie county, and settled in Union township, and came to his present location on section 5 [Valley township], in 1881, where he follows general farming and stock-raising. In 1862, he enlisted in Company H, 10th Ohio cavalry, being commissioned as lieutenant. he was badly injured at Snow mountains, Tennessee, in 1863, and was dischared on account of disability. He is a charter member of the Tracy Post, No. 52, G. A. R.
Edward Parrish, a prominent man of Valley township, was born in Noble county, Ohio, June 18, 1847. In May, 1858, he came to Guthrie county, and settled one mile south of Guthrie Center, where he remained until the spring of 1865, when he moved to his present location on section 14 . He was married March 10, 1872, to Miss Matilda Dupee, a daughter of Harmost and Evaline (Bruner) Dupee. They have five children--Harmon, John E., Ada, Charles and Martha. Mr. Parrish owns one hundred and seventy acres of good land, nearly all of which is under cultivation, upon which he follows general farming and stock-raising.
John Parrish took up a claim on section 17 [Valley township], in May, 1856. He was born in Belmont county, Ohio, May 17, 1806, and was the son of Edward and Martha (Reed) Parrish. He was married in the home of his nativity, January 19, 1834, to Miss Ellen Grimes, by whom he had nine children--Margaret, who married Matthew Nesselroad; Priscilla, married Harrison Straight; Lafayette, died while in the army in 1862; Martha, married George Headlee; Lavina, Edward, married Melinda Dupee; Lydia A., married Frank R. Headlee; Elizabeth, married Samuel Herron; and Ellen J. In March 1871, Mr. Parrish removed to section 15, where he died on the 20th of NOvember, 1882, aged seventy-one years.
Harmon T. Reed was born in Noble county, Ohio, December 7, 1838, and is the son of Bounan and Rebecca (Talley) Reed. He was married in 1858, to Miss Louisa Jordan, a daughter of Elijah and Mary (Legg) Jordan. They have five children--Sidney, married Alice McClelan; Willmington, Elvaline, married Alber Epperson; Cloe and Priscilla. In The spring of 1864, Mr. Reed came to Valley township, settling on section 26, and 1883 moved to Monteith, where he runs a general store, and also owns nine hundred and forty acres of cultivated land. He has held the offices of township trustee and is treasurer at the present time.
Lester N. Wilcox, who is a son of Abel and Nancy (McLain) Wilcox, was born in Monroe county, Michigan, September 25, 1850. He moved with his parents to Steuben county, Indiana, where he remained but a short time, when he returned to Monroe county, Michigan. He remained here but a short time, when he again returned to Steuben county, where his father died. Lester resided in various parts of Indiana, until March 2, 1881, when he came to Guthrie Center, and there remained one year. He was married in Guthrie Center, May 23, 1882, to Miss Semantha Burris, a daughter of Allen and Mary Jane (Osborn) Burris. While in Guthrie Center, he was in the furniture business, but in May, 1882, he came to his present location section 32 [Valley township]. He owns one hundred and sixty acres of good land, mostly under cultivation. He has held the position of school director for some time, and which position he now holds. Mr. Wilcox is a member of the Corinthian lodge, Mo. 285, of Flint, Indiana.
Ernest R. Willey, second son of Derwin E. and Clarinda (Holdridge) Willey, was born in LaSalle county [Illinois], in February, 1852, and in 1853 moved to Cedar county, Iowa, where he remained until October of 1855, when he came to Center township, Guthrie county. He was married in September, 1874, to Miss Mary Frazier, who died in March 1875. He was again married in 1877, to Miss Mary Harlan, a daughter of Judge G. W. and Emma Harlan. They have four children--Neva, Nixie, Oscar E., and Ralph R.
Derwin E. Willey came to Guthrie county and located upon section 17 [Valley township] in October, 1855. Derwin E. Willey was a native of Ashtabula county, Ohio, being born on the 21st day of December, 1823. In the year 1827 he moved with his parents to Wadsworth, Madonna county, Ohio, and there remained until he became of age, when he left his Ohio home and removed to Bureau county, Illinois. In 1845 he moved to LaSalle county, Illinois, where he was married two years later to Miss Clarinda A. Holdridge, a daughter of Asa and Polly (Warren) Holdridge. Mr. H. was one of the earliest settlers of LaSalle county, where she was married. They have had six children--Asa M., married in 1873 to Miss Lilian Parrish; Ernest R., married Mary Harlan in 1877; Clara A., married in 1875 to Charles Parrish. Harry H., died in June, 1863. George E., Minnie A., died in January, 1879. Mr. Derwin Willey was called from these earthly scenes in 1863, leaving his wife and family to mourn his departure. He was school director at the time of his death and was a member of the Guthrie Center Odd Fellows.
The agricultural implement business [Monteith] is in the hands of Marshall Willey, who started in this line in the spring of 1881. Marshall Willey, a native of Noble county, Ohio, was born in October, 1837, and is the son of John and Melinda (Thorla) Wiley. He was married in Ohio to Miss Oley Fowler, a daughter of Samuel and Sarah Fowler. They have one child--Curtis, who married Mary Cameran. Mr. Wiley came to Valley township in the winter of 1864, and settled on section 26. He now owns one hundred and fifty acres of land, all of which is under cultivation, and raises large herds of cattle and hogs, which are known as some of the best in the township. This gentleman has held the offices of road supervisor, school director and treasurer.
Eli H. Wilson, a farmer and stock-raiser, section 1. --The subject of this sketch was born April 15, 1844, in Marion county, Indiana, and is the son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Morris) Wilson. He moved with his parents to Peoria county, Illinois, in the fall of 1850, and three years later moved to Stark county, Illinois, where his father still resides, his mother having died December 22, 1882. Eli H. was married on the 6th day of April, 1863, to Miss Mary M. Morris, a daughter of James Morris. They have had three children--David and Eddie; Kate May died March 24, 1880, at the age of eight years. In February, 1879, he came to his present location, on section 1, Valley township, where he owns two hundred acres of land, nearly all of which, is under cultivation. In August, 1861, Eli enlisted his services in company E, 86th Illinois infantry. He was in several skirmishes, and was mustered out at Nashville, Tennessee, in February, 1862. He has held the position of road supervisor for two years, and school director for four years. Mr. Wilson is engaged in raising shorthorn cattle, and Poland-China hogs.
William Wilson, a native of Morgan county, Ohio, was born on November 12, 1842, and is the son of Samuel and Eliza (Fuller) Wilson. He was married in Ohio, on November 28, 1867, to Miss Nancy J. Henderson, and by whom he has had three children--Georgie, Jessie, and Lida F. Mr. Wilson came to Valley township in 1881, and settled on section 8. He owns three hundred and twenty acres of land, most of which is under cultivation, and raises, principally, fine stock and other farm products. He enlisted in 1862 in Company C, 122d Ohio infantry. He was in the Wilderness campaign, and with Sheridan in the valley and at Richmond; was wounded at Opequan, Virginia, and discharged on account of being disabled. He returned home after being in the hospital about six months.
Thomas G. Young, a son of George and Sarah (Vail) Young, resides on section 17, in Valley township. He was born in Mansfield, Ohio, in September, 1830. He moved with his parents to Huron, Ohio, in 1833, where his parents both died. Thomas moved to Ashland county, Ohio, in 1850, where he was married in 1853, to Miss Mary J. Dirrim, a daughter of Zachariah and Elizabeth (McCarl) Dirrim. They have four children--Ida, married to W. S. Jacoby; Zella married to J. W. Boston, of Oregon; Hattie E., married to T. F. Hupp; and Libbie. Mr. Young moved to Indiana, where he followed the trade of a baker, having learned his profession in Ashland county. He was in the service of the United States as pastry baker at Camp Mitchell, Indiana. He ran the saw-mill started by Willey and Seeley from April, 1865, to July, 1866, when he bought the mill with forty acres of land. In 1872, he built a flouring-mill on the site of the old saw-mill. He is a member of the Guthrie Center lodge of A. F. and A. M.