History of Guthrie and Adair Counties, Iowa - 1884 - Bayard

Guthrie County >> 1884 Index

History of Guthrie and Adair Counties, Iowa
Springfield, Ill: Continental Hist. Co., 1884.

Transcribed by Bobbi Pohl

M. L. Anderson, druggist, came to Bayard in the beginning of the year 1882, and on the 14th of January of that year, entered into business as one of the firm of Anderson, Cornish & Co., dealers in hardware, stoves and agricultural implements. On the 1st of January, 1883, he sold out his interest therein, and bought out the drug stock and business of Satterwein & Thompson, who had started sometime previously. His present quarters are neat and commodious, being a neat building 20x40, two stories high, situated upon the west side of Main street. The building is owned by his father. He handles only the best of everything in his line, and carries a large stock of drugs, medicines, paints, oil, wallpapers and stationery. Dr. Young, who has his office here, has control of the prescription department.

M. L. Anderson, one of Bayard's druggists, was born in Fayette county, Ohio, November 29, 1852, his parents being Harmon and Margaret Anderson. When sixteen years of age his parents removed to Jefferson, Greene county, where he remained three years, then removing to a farm about eight miles south of Jefferson. He then removed to Bayard, and at once entered into business. He was married in Fayette county, Ohio, in 1876, to Miss Susan C. Crow, a native of Ohio. He is a charter member of the Iowa Legion of Honor lodge, and has been its recording secretary. His parents now live in Scranton, where his father is in the hardware business.

Sidney S. Boughton

The first and only jewelry store was started by Sidney S. Boughton, who still occupies that branch of the mercantile trade. He came here on the 11th of March, 1882, and renting room in the post-office building, opened his present business. His stock, comprising jewelry of all description, silverware, etc., is quite large, taking into consideration the size and newness of the town. 

Sidney S. Boughton was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, April 29, 1858, his parents being Seymour A. and Charlotte (Bushnell) Boughton. He was educated there, and when he was eighteen years of age he went to Casey, Guthrie county, where he followed the occupation of clerking. After staying one year there he went to the Black Hills, and remained two years in Deadwood. He then went back to Casey, and remained there till coming to Bayard, March 11, 1882, where he carries on his jewelry business in the the post-office building, besides clerking in the other departments. He was married April 25, 1881, to Miss Jennie M. Miller, a native of Ohio, at Casey, Iowa. He was elected a member of the Bayard council, March 4, 1884, and was appointed postmaster at Bayard, April 16, 1884.

John W. Cornish

Gornish & Vader, the successors of Anderson, Cornish & Co., handle cooking and heating stoves and ranges, agricultural implements and tools, heavy and shelf hardware, cutlery, etc., and are doing a large and remunerative business. They have the agency for the sale of the Singer, Wilson and Howe sewing machines. This firm started on the 14th of January, 1882, under the firm name of Anderson, Cornish & Co., but on the 1st of January, 1883, M. L. Anderson retired and Daniel Vader purchased their interest and the present firm was formed.

John W. Cornish, of the firm of Cornish & Vader, is one of the principal business men of Bayard. He was born in Schenectady, New York, September 21, 1844, and is the son of Joseph and Eleanor (Joyce) Cornish. His father having died at sea, the family removed to DeKalb ounty, Illinois, when he was eight years of age. Here he remained until the war had commenced in earnest, and in October, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, 58th Illinois infantry, which regiment served in the 13th and 15th army corps. After the battles of Fort Donaldson, Shiloh and Corinth, he was transferred to K battery, 1st Missouri light artillery, and served with it till the close of the war, being discharged at St. Louis in August, 1865. He was married in 1868 to Miss Kate Nellis, a native of Illinois. They have five children--Emma, Herbert, Clinton, Clyde and John. He is a member in good standing of the Masonic order, and is president of the school board, and was one of the first merchants in Bayard. Is also a member of the Legion of Honor, carrying $2,000 insurance in same; also $2,000 in Cedar Rapids' mutual life. He is adjutant of the G. A. R., located at Bayard.

Frank E. Cottral

In May, 1882, Frank E. Cottral opened the first harness shop [in Bayard], in a small building 14x18 on North Main street. In the fall of 1883 he admitted George Kirkham to a full partnership, and they at once commenced the erection of their present commodious and substantial building. This is 20x30, and is well built. Into this they moved in the latter part of October, 1883. They carry a fine and select line of saddles, harness, harness oil, whips, and everything necessary for the equipment of a horse.

Frank E. Cottral, of the firm of Cottral & Kirkham, was born in Jackson county, Iowa, January 6, 1859, his parents being James H. and Nancy (Taylor) Cottral. He learned the harness-making trade in Sabula, Iowa, which place he left in 1882 to commence the business for himself in the new town of Bayard. He has succeeded in building up a good trade by close application to business. he was married in August, 1879, to Miss Caroline Wolff, a dughter of John and Anna Wolff. The have an interesting family of three children--Anna, Frank and a baby.

David Guyer

Guyer & Little are the sole operators of the meat business in the town [Bayard]. They opened a meat-market here in September, 1883, and are enjoying the result of a patient and careful application to business.

David Guyer, of the firm of Guyer & Little, was born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, April 2, 1847, his parents being Henry and Hester (Zimmerman) Guyer, both parties of old Pennsylvania families. When twenty-one years of age he removed to Ogle county, Illinois. After two years he went to Marshall county, Kansas, where he was in the lumber business two years. He came to Iowa in the spring of 1878, and lived in Dallas county, following the painting business, till September, 1883, when he came to Bayard, and went into the butcher business with Mr. Little. He was married in Pennsylvania in February, 1873, to Miss Nancy Burkett, a native of that state. They have four children--Henry, William, Catherine J. and Fanny.

Elijah J. Hagan

The Bayard blacksmith shop is operated by Hagan & Gilmore, who commenced business here October 1, 1883, purchasing the property formerly occupied by Jacob Neff. They employ two skilled workmen and do all kinds of machinist's work. A general blacksmith business is transacted, and manufacture of plows and cornplanters is a specialty. The latter implement is an invention of E. J. Hagan, a member of the firm, and is a combination of a sulky check-rower and a corn-planter, and was patented June 12, 1883. The National Farmer, published in Washington, District of Columbia, in its issue of June 21, 1883, thus speaks of it:  "A sulky check-row and corn-planter.-- A patent has just been issued with above title to Elijah J. Hagan, of Bayard, Guthrie county, Iowa, which will doubtless prove a great boon to corn-growers. It certainly contains in greater perfection the qualities embraced in its title than any planter we have ever yet seen. The ease with which the planter, proper, can be suspended on the sulky and carried from place to place, the absolute certainty of a correct check drop, the facilities for regulating the depth of planting, the lightness of draft and other advantages obtained in the harmonious operation of the device arranged by Mr. Hagan, is truly admirable. We congratulate Mr. Hagan and the corn-raisers on the benefits surely to arise to each from this invention."

Elijah J. Hagan, of the firm of Hagen & Gilmore, blacksmiths, is a native of Ohio, and was born April 19, 1845, his parents being George and Elizabeth (Jones) Hagan. He remained in Ohio until he was eleven years of age, when his parents moved to Warren county, Iowa. In April, 1879, he went to Greene county, where he followed farming and stock-raising until coming to Bayard. He was married in Warren conty, Indiana, November 10, 1867, to Miss Mary Hildreth, a native of South Bend, Indiana. They have three children--Martha L., Lillie M. and Chester J.

Lewis V. Holdridge was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, March 28, 1857. In 1869 he moved to Iowa county, Iowa, where he lived on a farm until 1878, when he came to Guthrie county, locating on section 12, Highland township, and remaining there until 1882. His father, Aaron Holdridge, died in Iowa county, in 1878. Lewis is now living with his mother in Bayard. He owns eighty acres of land in section 12, and eighty acres in section 2, which is rented out. He is engaged in buying and selling cattle and horses.

J. H. Jackson came to Bayard before the town was laid out, and on that being done, proceded at once to erect a building in which to conduct his business [general merchendise]. This edifice is 20x50, two stories high, in which he placed a stock of groceries. To this he has since added a general stock, consisting of dry goods, boots, shoes, hats, caps, etc. Country produce in large quantities is also a large part of the business of Mr. Jackson, who has a most excellent patronage, merited by honorable and straightforward dealing. He is also the postmaster of Bayard, the office being kept in his store.

J. H. Jackson, ex-postmaster of Bayard [this is a separate article from the above, I presume of the same man but written later], was born in Wyoming county, Pennsylvania, August 17, 1848, his parents being C. F. and Sylvia (Smith) Jackson. He came to Iowa in 1868, locating in Cedar county, where he remained two years. He then went to Page county, remaining till 1873, when he went to Chicago, and stayed one year, learning telegraphy. He then went to Oxford Junction, Jones county, Iowa, where he was station agent for six years on the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul and Dakota and Northwestern railroads. He then filled the same position at De Witt, on the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul railroad for two years, then coming to Bayard, and commencing business. He married August 24, 1874, to Miss Hannah Bryan, a native of Jones county, Iowa. They have five children--Wilma, Rose, John, Lowell and Clarence. He was the first postmaster, having been appointed March 20, 1882, and resigned April 1, 1884, in favor of S. S. Boughton.

Frank M. Jeffers

BAYARD HOUSE - Frank M. Jeffers, the proprietor, was born in Fountain county, Indiana, August 19, 1836. Removed to Marengo, Iowa county, Iowa, October 10, 1854. He was married to Miss Catherine Troup August 26, 1855, a native of Warren county, Indiana, who died January 28, 1872. He lived in Iowa county eighteen years, working at carpentering the principal part of the time. He removed to Des Moines in December,1873. Married Mrs. Margaret McNeil, March 16, 1874. Lived in Des Moines nearly ten years. Mrs. Margaret (McNeil) Jeffers is a native of Henry county, Indiana. He removed to Bayard, Guthrie county, in August, 1883, where he is now proprietor of the Bayard house. He had six children by his first wife, and two by his second wife--Gwendolyn and Claire B. He enlisted in company G, 28th Iowa infantry, August 13, 1862, and was mustered in in August 26th, and landed at Helena, Arkansas, November 19, 1862. His command was assigned to the 13th army corps, and left Helena April 7, 1863, for the Vicksburg campaign. Was engaged in the battles of Magnolica hill, Raymond, Bolton Station, Champion hills, Edwards' depot, siege of Vicksburg, Jackson, Carrion Crow bayou, and also in Banks' campaign, up Reel river, in 1864. He was wounded and captured at the battle of Mansfield, April 8, 1864, and was paroled June 20, 1864, and returned to Keokuk, Iowa, July 10, 1864, and was discharged March 31, 1865, at the latter place.

William H. Little

Guyer & Little are the sole operators of the meat business in the town [Bayard]. They opened a meat-market here in September, 1883, and are enjoying the result of a patient and careful application to business.

Mr. William H. Little, of the firm of Guyer & Little, is a native of Carroll county, Maryland, and was born July 26, 1832, his parents being Peter and Sophia (Fuss) Little. His home remained in Maryland until the close of the war, when he removed to Fulton county, Illinois, he farmed there six years; then removed to Champaign county; he farmed there till 1877, when he came to Dallas county, Iowa, removing to Bayard in September, 1883, to go into his present business. He was married in Maryland to Miss Rebecca Ann Everly, a native that state, in 1860. He has five children--John D., William G., Reason J., Kirby A. and Victoria B. His wife died in 1877 in Champaign county, Illinois. He enlisted August 30, 1862, in Compnay C, 6th Maryland volunteer infantry, which was assigned to the 3rd army corps, and afterward merged into the 6th, of the Army of the Potomac. Among the battles in which he personally engaged are the following: Opaquon Creek, Winchester, Virginia; Wapping Heights, Kelley's Ford, Brandy Station, Locust Grove, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna river, South Anna river, Hanover Junction, Cold Harbor, Bermuda Hundred, Jerusalem, Plank Road, Ream's Station, Charlestown, Smithfield, Winchester, Flint Hill, New Market, Cedar Creek, siege of Petersburg, Poplar Grove, Grand Assault, Sailor's Run, Lee's surrender at Appamattox. He saw Phil Sheridan coming into the ranks from his famous ride. He was discharged June 24, 1865.

Michael McDonald was the successor of Mr. Turner in this office [sheriff], having been elected in 1871, and again in 1873.

Michael McDonald was one of the first men in Bayard, and is now its most prominent business man, as well as one of the most prominent men in Guthrie county. He is the son of Patrick and Ann McDonald (who still live in Highland township) and was born in county Mayo, Ireland, in July 1840. When he was but six months old his parents removed to America, going to Pennsylvania and remaining there until 1856. In April of that year they removed to Des Moines, and in September remomved to Highland township in this county. In August, 1862, when but seventeen years of age, Mr. McDonald enlisted in company I, 9th Iowa, remaining with his regiment till August, 1865, when he was discharged with his regiment, the war being over. He has served the county two terms as sheriff, being elected the first time in 1871, and serving till 1875. He was elected to the nineteenth general assembly as representative from Guthrie county in 1882 on the greenback ticket. He was the first mayor of Bayard, serving in that capacity in 1883. He was married May 10, 1868, to Miss Eliza Jane Garnes, a native of Ohio. They have five children--Edward Sarsfield, William T., Annie Grace, Robert Emmet, and Charles Parnell. Two of their children died: Agnes died in July, 1873, aged five; and Blanche died in August, 1873, aged seven months. Mr. McDonald is master of the Masonic lodge of Bayard.

The grain business [in Bayard] is fully represented by Michael McDonald. In July, 1882, Mr. McDonald built the only elevator that the town has, and commenced the business of buying grain in August following. This elevator has a storage capacity of 18,000 bushels, and the power is obtained from a fifteen horse-power engine. The building is 24x54 on the ground, and sixty feet in height, the engine room being 14x24, besides. Mr. McDonald handled in 1883 over one hundred thousand bushels of corn, and fifty thousand bushels of wheat and oats. He has excellent side track facilities on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul track, and has a new office on Main street. He has been concerned in the agricultural implement business with D. C. Hubbard, but closed it our March, 1884, and is confining himself closely to his grain business, and farming his large farm on sections 17 and 20, in Highland township.

Charles H. Miller

The pioneer furniture store [of Bayard] was established by the present proprietor, Charles H. Miller, on the 20th of February, 1882. This gentleman came here in November, 1881, and commenced the erection of a building suitable for his business. The main part of this structure is 22x40 feet in dimension, two stories high, with an addition, in the shape of a work-room, 16x18. He carries a fair-sized stock of furniture of all kinds, picture frames, spring beds, mattresses, window glass, window shades, bedroom and parlor suites, etc. He also carries on the undertaking business, which he makes a specialty, and keeps constantly on hand a fine line of goods for this purpose, coffins, caskets, robes, shrouds, etc. A good business, the result of industry, energy, and honorable treament of patrons, has been built up by this gentleman, one of Bayard's enterprising merchants.

Charles H. Miller, furniture dealer and undertaker, of Bayard, is one of the solid business men of the city. He was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, August 15, 1847, and is son of Frederick and Dorothea (Pope) Miller. He came to America with his parents in 1849, settling in Auglaise county, Ohio, where his father followed farming. In 1870 Mr. Miller left Ohio and came to Clay county, Iowa, his parents following in a short time. After remaining there about six years, he removed to Alta, Buena Vista county, and engaged in contracting and building. After a stay of eighten months he removed to Odebolt, Sac county, where he engaged in the same business. This he followed until January 20, 1882, when he camae to Bayard to engage in his present business. He was married in Clay county, September 29, 1871, to Miss Susan Bender, daughter of John and Martha (Dutt) Bender. They have three children--Wallace C., aged ten years; Louis Albert, aged five years; Florence Maggie, aged two years. He is a member of the Iowa Legion of Honor, and retains his membership in Odebolt lodge.

George W. Mount in March, 1882, opened a general merchandise store, but after a year's trial closed out all his stock except the clothing and gent's furnishings goods, which his stock now constists. He is the only merchant in the town devoting himself exclusively to this line, and carries a well-selected and clean stock. His store building is 20x40 feet in dimension, two stories high, and situated on the east side of Main street. An old resident of the county, a member of one of its most prominent families, an honorable, upright, frank, affable gentleman, it is no wonder that he can boast of a large and increasing trade. He is also interested in the real estate business in this town to some extent. George W. Mount is a member of one of the oldest and most widely known families in Guthrie county. He was born in Montgomery county, Indiana, July 29, 1847, and is the son of Stephenson and Louisa (Wasson) Mount. In 1851 the family removed to Dallas county, Iowa, and in 1854 to Guthrie county, settling one mile east of Morrisburgh, in Jackson township. He was married, February 13, 1870, to Miss Melinda Kunkle, daughter of Benjamin Kunkle, she being the first white child born in Guthrie county. George removed to Bayard in the fall of 1881, his being the second family in the town, and at once commenced the real estate business in partnership with H. D. Ochiltree, going into his present business in March, 1883. Mr. and Mrs. Mount have had six children, five of whom are living. Their names are--Guy, George, Earl, Roy and Sadie. Effie, aged thirteen, died in the summer of 1883. Mr. Mount was in company C, 46th Iowa infantry, during the war. He had three brothers in the service. He is a charter member of the Masonic lodge of Bayard, a member of the G. A. R. and Iowa Legion of Honor.

Mr. James M. Munsinger, junior member of the firm of Smith & Munsinger, is the son of John and Julina (Fuller) Munsinger, and was born in Loraine county, Ohio (Russia township), November 15, 1857. His father is a native of Germany, and his mother of Ohio. When he was eight years of age his parents removed to Jones county, Iowa, where he remained until twenty-two years of age, with the exception of two or three years spent in other places. he then removed to Carroll county, Illinois, where he remained about two and one-half years, then coming to Guthrie county, and locating in Bayard in March, 1882, buying a one-half interest in the present business. He was married in Carroll county, Illinois, to Miss. Elizabeth Smith, a native of Illinois, January 1, 1880. They have two children--Gracie May, born January 13, 1881 and Lawrence Estel, born January 28, 1884.

Hiram D. Ocheltree, who does the principal real-estate and insurance business of Bayard, removed from his farm to this town in the fore part of 1881, and entered into this line of business.

Hiram D. Ocheltree, the subject of this sketch, was born in Greenbrier county, West Virginia, December 22, 1846, and his parents were John R. and Sarah (McCoy) Ocheltree. In 1856 they removed to Cedar county, Iowa, where the father farmed until 1867, when the family removed to Guthrie county, settling near where Bayard now stands. Hiram commenced farming for himself in 1866, and also carried on the real-estate and insurance business at his residence. He removed to Bayard, March 1, 1881, though he still retains the ownership of his farm on section 1. He went into partnership with Mr. George W. Mount in the insurance and real-estate business, they also running a general store. He was elected justice of the peace in October, 1881, unanimously, commencing his duties January 1, 1882. He does the real-estate business of the city, besides carrying on the insurance business. He has made himself popular with all classes while justice of the peace, as he has used his influence in the settling of many suits without trial, thus saving costs for the parties. He was married in the fall of 1866, to Miss Maggie Reed daughter of Alexander and Annie (McCibben) Reed. They have two children--David Albion and Lillian Frances.

Edwin A. Olive

The pioneer drug store was established in Bayard by E. A. Olive, in November, 1881, which he is operating at the present time. His building is 20x60 feet in size, two stories high, and the storeroom is filled to overflow with a neat stock of the purest drugs, medicines, paints, oils, wall paper, cigars, and all various toilet articles sought after by the ladies. Particular attention is paid the accurate compounding of prescriptions, a department presided over by Mr. Olive in person, his certificate as a pharmacist having been granted him November 28, 1881. He has just finished (1884) building a two-story building to be used as a newspaper office by the Bayard News, of which he is the proprietor, and as a lodge room.

Edwin A. Olive, an enterprizing and successful druggist of Bayard, was born in Columbia, Marquette county, Wisconsin, October 19, 1853, his parents being Richard (a physician in Scranton), and Elizabeth Olive. He removed from Wisconsin to Greene county in May, 1872, where he settled on a farm near Scranton and remained until November, 1881, when, removing to Bayard, he engaged in the drug business. He was married October 22, 1876, to Miss Laura B. Ones, a native of Pennsylvania, which marriage is blessed by one child--Evert. Mr. Olive belongs to the I. O. O. F., having been initiated in 1877 in Scranton lodge, No. 357, in which he has taken all the subordinate degrees, and has consequently held all the offices, being P. G. when he left Scranton.

T. J. Patterson located here [Bayard] at the starting of the town, in 1882, and after a short time spent in buying stock for Beale Brothers and M. McDonald, rented the store on the west side of Main street formerly occupied by Shaw & Armstrong, in September 1882. He carries a good line of dry goods, groceries, boots, shoes, queensware, toilet articles, tobacco and cigars, and is known far and wide as one of the enterprising merchants of this lively town.

T. J. Patterson, a prominent business man of Bayard, was born February 9, 1848, in Murray county, Tennessee, his parents being J. E. and Agnes S. (Matthews) Patterson. The family moved to Arkansas when the subject of this sketch was about twelve years old, and after a few years residence there made their home in Middle Tennessee, Missouri, Mississippi, and Jones county, Iowa, at different times. T. J. Patterson came to Bayard in 1882, when the town was first located, having been living in the county four years prior to this time. He was married in Greene county, Missouri, to Miss Emma J. Richards, of Ohio.

George W. Rawlings was born in Marion county, Indiana, July 17, 1830. He removed to Warren county, Illinois, in 1850, where he lived on a farm for four years. In 1854 he moved to Jasper county, Iowa, where he remained for several years, farming and working at other occupations, until finally he learned the mason's trade. He resided in Jasper county fifteen years, removing from thence to Iowa county, and came to Guthrie county in 1882. Mr. Rawlings has been an efficient worker in the vineyard of the Lord, preaching two years in the Linnville circuit in the Methodist Episcopal church, from which he was transferred to the Williamsburg circuit, then later to the North Liberty and Oxford circuits. Then he lived in Oxford, Johnson county, eight years, working at his trade and preaching, and arrived in Bayard in October, 1882. He was married in 1849, in Indiana, to Miss Verlena DeHart, a native of that state. They have two children living and four dead--Sarah, married Silas Hooker, now living in Texas; Rebecca Jane, married William Poole, now living in Johnson county; Thomas Ray, died December 15, 1867, aged sixteen years; William H., died in 1853, aged six months; Eddie L., died March 5 1865, aged two and a half years, Minnie May, died March 11, 1877, aged eight years. He built the building which his wife occupied for millinery goods in 1882. She carried a large stock of millinery goods, ribbons, laces, etc., and had all the trade in the surrounding country.

James Rutledge, the representative in Bayard of J. W. Pollock & Co., lumber merchants, is a native of County Mayo, Ireland, and was born January 8, 1850. He is the son of James and Maria Rutledge. He removed to this country in 1874, and spent the first five years in America at Chicago. He then went to Des Moines, where he was connected with the lumber business until coming to Bayard in August, 1883. He was married at Crown Point, Indiana, in April, 1875, to Miss Isabel Lambir. He has built up a large business for his company by his business qualifications and close attention to duty.

Jacob P. Smith, the senior partner in the firm of Smith & Munsinger, is a native of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, having been born February 20, 1844. His parents were William R. and Elizabeth (Stauffer) Smith. When he was twelve years of age the family removed to Carroll county, Illinois, and in 1863 to Jones county, Iowa. After remaining there four years they went back to Carroll county, Illinois. Mr. Smith was one of the first merchants to come to Bayard, arriving in the fall of 1881. He was married June 23, 1864, to Miss Mary R. Munsinger, daughter of John and Sarah (Fowles) Munsinger. They have one child--Charles Edward--born December 3, 1883. Mr. Smith is a man of means, and is one of Bayard's substantial merchants. They have one adopted child--Nellie--born in 1874, who was adopted on the 10th of May, 1882.

Thomas Stevenson, second mayor of Bayard, is a native of County Armagh, Ireland, and was born April 2, 1847, his parents being William and Jane (Mills) Stevenson. With his parents her removed to this country in 1854, living in New York City fourteen years. Thomas then left home and came to Iowa, and chose Scott county for his stopping place. In April, 1870, he went to Greene county, for the purpose of farming, which occupation he followed until coming to Bayard, which was in the fall of 1882. He was married in Greene county, July 2, 1874, to Miss Charlotte Longman, a daughter of William and Charlotte Longman. They have five children--William George, John Richard, Thomas Edward, Mills Garfield, and Margaret Jane. Mr. Stevenson's sterling qualities soon won for him the friendship of his fellow-citizens in Bayard, and they showed their appreciation by electing him unanimously to the office of mayor at the March election, 1884. He is a member of Charity lodge, No. 197, A. F. and A. M., at Coon Rapids.

J. W. Stuckenbruck

The first to establish a blacksmith shop in Bayard were Stuckenbruck & Goodrich. This firm who located here in February, 1882, was composed of J. W. Stuckenbruck and C. C. Goodrich. They put up a forge, the building being 24x50. Mr. Goodrich retired from the firm in April, 1883, but the business is at present carried on by Mr. Stuckenbruck. He does a general blacksmith trade, horseshoeing, plow and implement repairing, and is often called upon to almost rebuild a plow. He employs two hands, and sometimes a wagonmaker besides, and superintends all work himself. His trade extends all over the county, and is the largest enjoyed by any one shop in the same.

J. W. Stuckenbruck was born December 14, 1857, in Cedar county, Iowa, his parents being Frederick W. and Jane (Boughman) Stuckenbruck. He commenced his trade at a job-shop in Madisonville, and finished it at Murray's machine-shop, in Tipton. He then ran a shop in Rochester a year and a half, and was in business for himself one year in Tipton; he then worked a year in a plow-shop at Ogden, Boone county, then going to Clarence, and working in the Wilcox barrow factory, until coming to Bayard to start in business for himself. He has had large experience in all branches of his business, and is a splendid workman. He was married October 18, 1882, to Miss Anna Goodrich, a native of Michigan. He is constable of Highland township, having been elected in November, 1883, over theee opponents.

Daniel Vader

Gornish & Vader, the successors of Anderson, Cornish & Co., handle cooking and heating stoves and ranges, agricultural implements and tools, heavy and shelf hardware, cutlery, etc., and are doing a large and remunerative business. They have the agency for the sale of the Singer, Wilson and Howe sewing machines. This firm started on the 14th of January, 1882, under the firm name of Anderson, Cornish & Co., but on the 1st of January, 1883, M. L. Anderson retired and Daniel Vader purchased their interest and the present firm was formed.

Daniel Vader, of the firm of Cornish & Vader, is a native of Cattaraugus county, New York, He came to Bayard in 1832. He was married in 1881, to Miss Frances Nellis, and they have two children--Adelbert and Sarah. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.

William A. J. Wilmar

The Bayard Lumber Company commenced business here April 5, 1882. The gentlemen composing the company are also members of the Clinton Lumber Company, located at Clinton, Iowa. W. A. J. Wilmar, has had charge of the business since its location, and is working up a fine trade. The company's yard is 150x350 feet in size, with a direct frontage on the railroad. They have on hand here usually about eight thousand dollars worth of stock, consisting of pine lumber, shingles, lath, lime, sash, doors, blinds, mouldings, building paper, cement, and hard and soft coal. The office, a neatly constructed building, is 12x16, and has a platform scale convenient. This yard draws its trade from all parts of Greene, Carroll, Audubon and Guthrie counties, and is gradually extending its limits.

William A. J. Wilmar, who represents the Bayard Lumber company, was born in the Scandinavian Peninsula, May 25, 1857, his parents, now residing in Boone county) being Louis J. and Mary (Nelson) Wilmar. When he was eleven years of age, his parents removed to this country, staying a few weeks in Minnesota and then removing to Boone county, Iowa, where he has lived until coming to Bayard to take charge of the business of the lumber company. He was with the firm of P. B. Lindsley & Co., in Boone. He came to Bayard September 18, 1882. He was married May 6, 1882, to Miss Matilda J. Nelson, daughter of Henry and Johanna Nelson. They have one child--Ellery B., aged one year. He is a member of the Banker's Life Association.

John Workman was born in Jefferson county, New York, February 9, 1838, his parents being George P. and Margaret Elizabeth Workman. When he was ten years of age his parents removed to Wisconsin, where he lived until June, 1872, when he removed to section 5, Highland township, Guthrie county. Here he followed farming until the spring of 1883, when he removed to his present home in that part of Bayard known as Allenville. he was married in the fall of 1863 to Miss Rosa E. Krause, a daughter of Carl Krause, of Wisconsin. They have six living children--Luella E., Edith E., John C., Arthur E., Mabel C. and Rollin L. Their soneEugene died in 1866, aged eighteen months. He has eighty acres of land just ouside of Bayard. He deals in horses, and has some splendid stallions of the Clydesdale stock, which are not surpassed in the state. An imported stallion belonging to him has taken first premiums at several fairs, and one sweepstake.