Floyd County, Iowa
Stephan Bucklin was born in Clinton County, N.Y., Dec. 22, 1828, where he lived till 1868, when he came to Floyd County, Ia., and settled on section 5, Riverton Township. He has 127 acres of good land. He was married Aug. 13, 1855, to Ellen Hill, a native of Vermont, born in September, 1837. They have six children - Hollis, born Sept. 21, 1856; Elva, March 20, 1862; Louis, Aug 9, 1864; Libby, April 20, 1866; Lowell, Aug. 23, 1868; Jennie May, Aug. 2, 1873. Mr. Bucklin is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Politically he is a Republican. He has held the office of Road Supervisor, and has been a School Director for ten years.
Deodat Butler, farmer and stock-raiser, section 16, Riverton Township was born in Saratoga County, N.Y., Oct 22, 1821. He is the son of Amos Butler, who died when he was five years old, and he went to live with his grandfather, Deodat Jeffers. He went to Dodge County, Wis., in 1851, where he was engaged in farming till 1867, when he came to this county and settled on his present farm, where he owns 180 acres. He was married July 2, 1846, to Alvira Meade. They have seven children - Clarinda, Mary, Myron, Byron, William, James and Warren. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He was County Supervisor two years, and Township Trustee several years.
L. A. Butler was born in Canada, March 6, 1823, where he lived until 1840, when he came to the United States, to New York, where he lived four years; then went to Wisconsin where he lived twenty years, engaged in farming most of the time. In 1850 he went to California; crossed the plains, and remained there three years, when he returned to Wisconsin. In 1864 he came to Floyd County, Iowa, and settled on section 12, Riverton Township, where he has 197 acres of good well-improved land. He was married in 1848 to Rachel ROderick. They had three children - Adell, Alfred and Sherman. Mrs. Butler died in 1856, and in 1857 Mr. Butler married Matilda Carter, a native of Canada, born in 1833. They have four children - Sophronia, Leo, Ida and Berta. Mr. Butler is a Republican.
George Carr, son of Joseph Carr, a native of France, was born in Franklin County, N.Y., Nov. 15, 1825. He went to Chicago in 1844, and in a few days to Wisconsin, where he remained till 1847, when he returned to Chicago. He was engaged in building and contracting there till 1855, when he came to Dubuque, Iowa, and the same fall went to Bremer County. He built the first steam saw-mill in Waverly, and followed lumbering there till 1866, when he came to this township. He built a steam saw-mill on his land and ran it eleven years. He sawed one walnut tree, cut on Captain Foster's land, on section 27, which made over 6,000 ft. of lumber. He did a large business in the saw mill. He was married Aug. 27, 1851, to Frances Stover. Of their eleven children but eight are living - Ida (Mrs. I. A. Weeks), Florence V.(Mrs. M. Stevens), Frank L., George C., Robert E., Mary (Mrs. J. Hopkins), and Cecil. He has been Supervisor several years; was a member of the School Board several years. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and has been W.M. for the past seven years.
W. B. Carter was born in Ohio, July 1828. He left there March 1853, and came via the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, to Muscatine, thence across country to Floyd County, arriving here May 4. He settled on section 3, range 15 west, Riverton Township. He now has 400 acres of good well-improved land. He is a Baptist, and in his political views a Republican. He was married in 1848 to Phoebe Ripley, who was born in Ohio in 1826. They have eight children - Marion, Alice, Augustas B., Julia, Olive, David, Lorenzo D., and William. David is at home with his father. He raises both grain and stock.
Nathaniel W. Cotton, born in Prince Edward Island, April 17, 1831, is the son of Joseph Cotton, a native of England, who moved to Summit County, Ohio, in 1838, and to Elkhart County, Indiana, in 1843. In 1859 he came to this county, and settled on section 17 Riverton Township, where he still resides, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising; he also gathers cream for the Nashua Creamery. He enlisted in the war for the Union, in Company G, Twenty-seventh Iowa Infantry, and served about three years. He was in the battles of Ft. Derissa, Pleasant Hill, Dead Oaks, etc.; was disabled and laid in the hospital several months. He was married June 5, 1856, to Sarah B. Mitchell. They have four children - George W., Luella B., Anna L., and Isaac F. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Fred C. Danforth, born in Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin, Mar. 10, 1854, is a son of Calvin Danforth, a native of Vermont, and now a resident of Charles City, Iowa. When he was ten years old his parents moved to Beaver Dam, Wis., to Elkhart, Wis., in 1867, and in the spring of 1869 to Charles City, Iowa. He graduated law at Iowa City in 1875, and took a literary course at Ames Agricultural College, of Iowa. He practiced law in Charles City and Spencer, Iowa, till 1880, when he came to the farm on section 15, Riverton Township, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He was married in 1878 to Electa Waterbury, daughter of L. P. Waterbury, of this township. They have one child - James A.
Henry Dodge, born in Chenango County, N.Y., Sept. 10, 1837, is a son of Martin Dodge (deceased), a native of Vermont. He resided in Rochester, N.Y., till 1854, when he came to Iowa, settling in Chickasaw County, where he lived till 1870, when he came to this county and settled on section 14, Riverton Township. He owns 160 acres, and 15 of timberland, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He enlisted in the late was in Company H, Fourth Iowa Cavalry. Was in the battles of Old Town Creek, surrender of General Forrest, and several others. He was married in 1872 to Kate E. Poole. They are the parents of five children - Charles E., Herbert, Horace, Loyal J., and Joseph (deceased).
David Dyas, born Jan 14, 1823, is a son of Richard Dyas, a native of Ireland. He came to this county in 1855, where he now owns 337 acres of well-improved land. He resides on section 16, Riverton Township, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He has been Assessor one term; Township Trustee one term, Postmaster and School Director several years. He married Elizabeth Philips. They are parents of six children, only five living - Susan C., Rachel, William R., Ella V., and Sylvester. One daughter died at the age of seventeen.
Spencer Faville, born in Herkimer County, N.Y., Feb. 6, 1817, is a son of James Faville, also a native of New York. He received his education in the common schools of his native State. He learned the trade of tanner and currier's trade when a boy and worked at it fourteen years in New York State. In 1845, he went to Jefferson County, Wisconsin, where he was engaged in a flour-mill and the lumber business, and part of the time farming. In 1863, he came to Nashua, Iowa, and in 1867 to this county, where he is engaged in farming and stock-raising on section 24, Riverton Township. He owns 160 acres and some timber land in Chickasaw County. He was married in 1839 to Laura Ostrom. They have two children. Ostrom married Mary Baker, and has two children - Baker and Spencer. Mary married George J. Clapp, who died Jan. 9, 1878, leaving three children - Olivia A., Rush F. and Laura M. Mr. Faville was County Supervisor of Chickasaw County and is now a Township Trustee.
Hon. Alvin L. Flint, born in Orange County, Vt., May 12, 1822, is a son of Phineas Flint, and brother of Hon. W. L. Flint, of this township. He was educated in the common schools of his native State, and resided on a farm till 1843 when he went to Jackson County, Michigan. In 1845 he went to Racine County, Wisconsin; in 1850 to Green Lake County Wis.; in 1860 came to Nashua, Iowa, and to this county in 1874, where he owns 240 acres of land. He resides on section 13, Riverton Township, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising, making the breeding of Devonshire cattle a specialty. He also owns 480 acres in Butler County. He was married June 10, 1847 to Sarah Vanvalin, a daughter of David Vanvalin, born in Greene County, N.Y., on the Hudson. Mr. Flint was a Representative in Wisconsin in 1861, and has been Mayor of Nashua two years.
Hon. Waldo S. Flint, born in Orange County, Vt., Feb. 23, 1820, is a son of Phineas, a native of Hampton, Connecticutt, a son of Phineas, son of Nathaniel, son of Nathaniel, son of Joseph, son of Thomas, the emigrant ancestor who came from Wales and settled at Salem, Massachusetts. The old homestead is still in the hands of his descendants, the Flints, and has never been out of their possession. The deed was witnessed by Giles Corey, who afterward became a victim of the witchcraft delusion in 1692, and was pressed to death at the age of eighty years. Waldo S. Flint went to Batavia, N.Y., in 1836; to Jackson, Mich., in 1841; to Racine County Wis., in 1843; to Green Lake County, WIs., in 1850, and came to this county in 1875. He held offices of trust in Wisconsin, being a member of both houses of the Legislature. He was elected a Representative for Floyd County in the fall of 1881. He owns 400 acres of well-improved land, and fifteen acres of timber, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He was married May 19, 1853, to Sarah J. ROsebrooks, of Onondaga County, N.Y. Of their five children, only three are living. Edwin W., Charles M., and Carrie. Charles is married and living in Nashua.
Samuel D. French, born in Herkimer County, N.Y., May 30, 1842, is a son of Luther L. French, a native of Connecticut. He received his education in the common schools and at Whitestown Seminary, in Whitesboro, Oneida County, N.Y. He enlisted in the late war in Company F, One Hundred and Twenty-first New York Volunteer Infantry. Was transferred by the War Department to the United States Signal Corp, attached to the Potomac Army, and was employed in both the Telegraph and Flag departments of the corps. Was discharged in June, 1865. He came to Iowa in 1867, and in April, 1869, was married to Elvina Kinney, a daughter of Hon. Joseph Kinney, a native of Vermont, and one of the early settlers of the Territory of Wisconsin, and a Representative in the Legislature of that State two terms. Immediately after marriage Mr. French settled on his farm in Riverton, which he now occupies. On his farm is a rich bed of peat, covering several acres, and averaging six feet in depth. When dry it can be used for fuel without the use of wood. He also has a never-failing spring of pure water near his house, and in 1878, by utilizing the water therefrom, began the manufacture of creamery butter, and established what is known as Crystal Spring Creamery, which has since been in operation.
Rev. William Gibson, born in Essex County, N.Y., Dec. 9, 1826, is a son of John Gibson, a native of Ireland, who came to America when a young man. William Gibson received his education in the select school of Prof. Eli Maynard, in Clinton County, New York, and was licensed to preach by the Methodist Episcopal church July 19, 1860. He enlisted in the war for the Union in Company E, Second New York, Harris Light Cavalry; was in the battles of Cedar Creek, Waynesboro, Five Forks, Harper's Farm, Appomattox and others; was Quartermaster Sergeant at the last named place. He was injured during the war, and is a pensioner. Was discharged June 5, 1865. In November 1865, he came to this county and settled on his present farm on section 13, Riverton township. He was an itinerant minister in Iowa seven years, under the direction of the presiding elder; was on Horton circuit one year; organized a class in Riverton Township in 1866; at Syracuse one year; Horton Circuit two years, and three years at Plainfield, where he built up a large church, it being one of the grandest and strongest churches in this locality. He was ordained Deacon by D. W. Clark, at Independence, Sept. 26, 1869, and Elder Oct. 5, 1872, at Cedar Rapids, by Bishop Andrews. After leaving Plainfield he preached three years in Riverton, and has preached at intervals since. He was married May 29, 1848, to Hannah McKee. They are the parents of ten children - John H., Katie M., William T., Freemont, George A., Imogene, Sadie F., Ida M., Frank E., and C. Eddie.
James M. Howard was born Jan. 1, 1817, in Kentucky; when one year old he was brought with the family to Lawrence County, Indiana, where he resided until seventeen years of age; he next moved to Cook County, Ill., where he lived until 1852, except two years in Waukegan, Illinois, still following farming. Next he went to California, crossing the plains with oxen, being five months on the road. In 1856, he returned, by way of the Isthmus of Panama, and settled in Nashua, Chickasaw County, Iowa, preparing in the fall to build a house, which he erected and finished the following spring. His present farm is on section 3, this township where he owns 770 acres of good land, and makes of specialty of raising corn, oats and live-stock. March 6, 1845, Mr. Howard married Lucinda Carron, who was born in Greenbrier County, Virginia, April 21, 1828. The have three children now living, namely: Mary V., born in Eldorado County, California, in June 1853, and is now the wife of Andrew Smith; Elbert W., who was born in Sacramento County, California, March 16, 1856; and Clara A., born in this township March 29, 1862. Mr. Howard belongs to the Wesleyan Methodist church and in his political views is independent.
Robert J. Huie, born in Ogle County, Illinois, June 5, 1840, is a son of David Huie, a native of Scotland, born in 1811. He came to this county in 1866, and settled on section 28, Riverton Township, where he still resides. He enlisted in the war of the Rebellion, in August 1862, in Company E, Ninety-second Illinois Infantry; the last two years they were mounted. He was in the battles of Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Aiken, Averysboro, Resaca and many smaller ones, and was with Sherman on his march to the sea. He enlisted as private, and at the first camp was appointed Fifth Sergeant; in 1864 was made Orderly Sergeant, and in the spring of 1865 was commissioned and mustered in as Second Lieutenant. He was married in 1862 to Julia A. Hammond. They have five children - Nellie M., Anna L., Jessie E., Marshall S., and Recina K. He has been Assessor six years, and Justice of the Peace five years. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Charles Kelbourne, born in Otsego, New York, Aug. 10, 1809, is a son of Giles Kilbourne, a native of Berkshire County, Massachusetts, who died in New York State at the age of ninety-three. He resided on a farm until thirteen years of age, when he went to Homer, N.Y., and clerked in a store for five years. He then went to Cortland Academy and prepared for Hamilton College, near Utica, graduating from there in 1833, with high honors. He taught five years in Vernon Academy, Oneida County, and Cherry Valley, Otsego County, N.Y., in the meantime studying law. He was admitted to the bar in 1839, and practiced in Vernon, N.Y., five years. In 1844 he went to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and soon after settled on Fox River, near Princeton, Wisconsin, where he was engaged in the lumber business, and then farming till 1868, when he came to this county. In 1867 he was a member of the Wisconsin Legislature; was also Justice of the Peace in Wisconsin several years, and is now Justice of the Peace here. He was married in 1839 to Mary L. Sayles. They are the parents of seven children - Henry L. (surgeon in the United States army the past twenty years); Charles, died in the late war; Frederick A., Edward L., Arthur B., Louis D., and Everett L. Mrs. Kilbourne is a member of the Congregational church.
Julius M. Nevins, son of Russell M. Nevins, was born in Washington County, Vt., Dec. 20, 1826. In 1837 his parents moved to Milwaukee, Wis., and to Jefferson County, Wis., in 1838. In 1849 he went to California with an ox team, and came back in the fall of 1851. He traveled through Washington Territory. In 1859 he went again to California, and in 1861 returned to Wisconsin. In 1864 he came to this county, and in January, 1873, went to California, returning the same spring. In 1876 he went again to California, taking his wife and eldest daughter, and remained one year. He was married May 29, 1847, to Elizabeth King, of Canada, a daughter of John King, a native of England. They are parents of seven children - Marilla, Adella, Matilda, Almeda, Sarah and Viola. A son died in infancy.
John Noble, son of Jacob B. Noble, was born near Cornwall, Canada West, Sept. 18, 1833. In 1846 he went with his parents to St. Lawrence County, N.Y., and in 1855 came to Chickasaw County, Iowa., and to this county in 1864, where he is engaged as a farmer and stock-raiser. He owns 235 acres of well-improved land. He was married Dec. 29, 1861, to Zelia A. Hall, daughter of E. C. Hall, who came to this county in 1859. They have one child - George E., born May 25, 1868. He has been Constable and Township Trustee six or seven years.
Solomon H. Noble, born in Cornwall, Canada West, Nov. 20, 1835, is a son of Jacob B., also a native of Canada. His education was limited. In 1846, he went with his parents to St. Lawrence County, N.Y., and in December 1855, came to Iowa, going first to Chickasaw County, and in 1868 came to this county. He resides of section 24, Riverton Township, and owns 240 acres; is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He was married Jan. 22, 1864, to Belinda Helms. They have five children - Marshall H., Ada N., Charles E., Katie M., and Cornelia. He has been Constable here twelve years.
Daniel D. Perry was born in Bergen County, N. Y., Sept. 19, 1822. In 1849 he came West and located in Jefferson County, Wis., and in 1875 he came to this county. He was a miller in the East, but since coming West has followed farming. He resides on Section 14, Riverton Township, owns 418 acres, and is engaged both in farming and stock-raising. He was married in April 1841 to Sarah Haring. They are the parents of six children – William H., Maria C., Catharine C., Sarah E. and Susan J. They lost one daughter named Susan J.
William H. Perry was born in New Jersey, June 6, 1843, is a son of Daniel D. Perry, and came with him to Wisconsin in 1849. He came to this county in 1873, where he is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He was married June 6, 1863, to Martha J. Balser. Of their three children, only two are living – Ida M. and Hattie B. One daughter, Ina B., died at the age of sixteen months. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Sanford Ripley was born in Gallia County, Ohio, July 27, 1829. He left there in March, 1853, and came, via the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, to Muscatine, Iowa; from there with a two-horse team, in company with others, to Red Oak Grove, Cedar County, Iowa; from there to where Nashua now is, June 4, 1853. His father built the first house inside the town of Nashua. Geo. H. Clark built one a little outside in 1851 or 1852. In the fall of 1854, Mr. Ripley moved to the place where he still lives, section 34, range 15, Riverton Township. Snow being knee-deep, and no house there, the family camped under the wagon till he could build a cabin. He has 250 acres of well-improved land. He was married in 1846 to Susan Norton, nee Bumgartner, who was born in Gallia County, O., in January, 1820. They have three children - Esther, born Dec. 31, 1855; Lovina, Oct. 6, 1860; Maria, June 14, 1863. He ran out with a compass and staked the first road from Nashua, going in a northwesterly direction till he struck section 1, range 94-17, which is now Union Township. This continued to be the regular traveled road for many years. Politically he is a Republican.
Note from Joe: Susannah BUMGARDNER married Harvey Norton 23 sep. 1841, They had but one child named Candace. She then married Sanford Ripley 21 June 1846 both marriages taking place in Gallia County Ohio.
A. B. Scofield was born in Clearfield County, Pa., Oct 28, 1835. His father moved from there to Rock County, Wis. He lived with his father till he was twenty-three years old, when he came to Nashua, Chickasaw County, Ia., and taught a writing school one winter; worked in a fanning mill factory the following summer, and taught in the public school in the fall and winter. He built what is known as the Thompson Schoolhouse, in Riverton Township. In October 1860, he was married to Sarah Beck, born in Ohio, in 1842. They had four children – Emma Jane, born in 1862, and died at the age of two months; Irwin J., born in May 1866; Mary L., born in November 1868; W. A., 1869. Mr. Scofield has been Justice of the Peace for four years; has been Director and Secretary of the School Board, and has held various township offices. Politically he is a Republican.
Solomon M. Stevens, son of Solomon K. Stevens, a native of Vermont, was born in Cortland County, N.Y., Jan. 1, 1851. In 1855 he came West with his parents and settled in Bureau County, Ill., and in March 1871 came to this county. He resides on section 16, Riverton Township, where he owns forty acres; he also owns eighty acres on section 21, and is engaged in farming and stock raising. He was married in 1876 to Maria Mitchell, a daughter of Moses Mitchell, now of Chickasaw County. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Riverton.
Scofield S. Waterbury born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., Dec. 7, 1833, is a son of Shadrach Waterbury, a native of Connecticut, who died when Scofield was four years old. In 1850 he went to Jefferson County, Wis., locating in the ancient city of Aztalan, where he remained till the spring of 1864 when he came to this county, and located on section 24, Riverton Township. He owns 345 acres and is engaged in farming and stock raising, breeding short horned cattle and Norman horses. In 1874 he imported French Monarch, a fine Percheron of 1,800 pounds weight. He also has a colt of his three years old that weighs 1,400 pounds. He was married in November 1856 to Annie E. Willis. They are the parents of six children. Electa A., Lizzie D., May E., John P., E. Belle and Willis. Their eldest daughter is the wife of F. C. Danforth.
G. B. Waterman was born in Berkshire County, Mass., where he lived till he was four years old, when he moved to Oneida County, N. Y., and lived twenty-five years. In 1869 he came to Floyd County, Ia., and settled on section 28. He has 120 acres of good, well-improved land. He raises stock, and makes a specialty of hogs. He sells his cream to the Charles City Creamery. He was married in 1869 to Sarah M. Bellows. She was born in Massachusetts in 1852. They have seven children.
A. F. Worden was born in New York, Jan 28, 1828, where he lived till he was four years old, when he went to Michigan and remained twenty-three years. In the fall of 1855 he came to Floyd County, Iowa and settled on section 10, Riverton Township. He has 120 acres of good well-improved land. He has always been a farmer. He was married Jan. 1, 1854, to Elizabeth Jane Cieland, a native of Washtenaw County, Mich., born March 6, 1832. She died July 24, 1882. They have one adopted child – Albert G., born Feb. 6, 1872. Mr. Worden is a member of the Wesleyan Methodist church. Politically he is a Republican. He was the first Constable elected in the township.