Historical and Biographical Record of Black Hawk County,
Rollin Wells, a farmer and stock-raiser, section 4, Spring Creek Township, was born in Ohio, November 18, 1844, a son of Caleb and Nancy Wells, his father a native of New York, and his mother of Ohio. His parents removed to Black Hawk County, Iowa, in 1857, and settled in Spring Creek Township, and here the father dies in 1868, aged sixty-two years. The mother is still living aged seventy-nine years. Their family consisted of nine children – Elizabeth, Rosanna, Polly. Cornelia, Simon, Allanus, Orlando, Henry and Rollin. Our subject remained with his parents till twenty years of age, when, in 1864, he enlisted in Company F, Seventh Iowa Cavalry, and served a little more than a year, the greater part of the time being on the plains. He was discharged at Leavenworth, Kansas, in 1865. He then returned home and has since followed the peaceful pursuit of agriculture. He has a good farm of 208 acres, with a pleasant residence and good farm buildings. His parents were in limited circumstances, and he was obliged to rely on himself when he started in life, but his natural ability and good management have made him one of the prosperous men of the township, and he is now a prominent and highly esteemed citizen. He was married at Waterloo, Iowa, in 1867, to Clara E. Smith, a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1850, a daughter of Mahlon and Christina Smith. They have a family of six children – Henry, George, Harley, Onie, Simon and Frank.
Jeremiah S. West, section 2, Lester Township, was born in Cattaraugus County, New York, November 9, 1826, and when he was nine years old his parents, James and Julia A. West, removed to Kane County, Illinois, locating near Elgin in 1835. Here he was reared to manhood, remaining in Kane County till the fall of 1854, when he came to Iowa, and after living one year in Buchanan County he came, in October, 1855, to Black Hawk County. He received but a limited education in his youth, but after he had reached his twenty-first year he attended school six months. He has resided on his present farm since coming to the county, which at that time was an unimproved tract of land. He has now one of the best farms in his neighborhood, and has in all 200 acres of land, 160 acres on section 2, and the remainder on section 11. He has seventy-five acres under high state of cultivation, the rest being pasture and meadow. He has a very comfortable house which was built in 1867 at a cost of $1,200, his barn and shed being built in 1863, costing $1,000, and in 1883 he erected a new shed, his farm buildings being large and commodious. This he has made by industry and good management, being obliged to borrow $50 when he came to Iowa with which to make a start. Mr. West was married September 21, 1854, to Abigail Potts, daughter of Jacob H. and Catherine (Huntsman) Potts, her father born in Knox County, Ohio, June 22, 1813, and her mother in Richland County, Ohio, September 25, 1813. They were married in Knox County, February 25, 1834, and about three years later moved to Noble County, Indiana, where they remained two or three years. They then moved to Missouri, where Mrs. West was born; thence to Kane County, and after living there about fifteen years came to Black Hawk County, Iowa, where they made their home in Lester Township till the fall of 1885, with the exception of one year spent on a farm in Buchanan County, Iowa. They then, in 1885, went to Cherry County, Nebraska, where they have taken a homestead of 160 acres. Mr. and Mrs. West have a family of six children-Sytheria, born May 24, 1857; Arista, born November 29, 1859; Theresa, born October 11, 1861; George B., born June 11, 1864; Frederick A., born December 17, 1872, and Lurena E., born January 4, 1879, all natives of Black Hawk County. In politics Mr. West affiliates with the Democratic party. James West, father of our subject, was born November 10, 1801, in Genesee County, New York, and in early life moved to Cattaraugus County with his parents. During the war of 1812 he ran away from home and served in that war. He was a waiter for General Brock. He was married in Cattaraugus County to Julia A. Jolls, who was born May 8, 1803, in Boston, Massachusetts, and when quite young came with her parents to Cattaraugus County. James West was a son of Thomas P. and grandson of Rufus West, who was of English descent. Our subject's Grandmother Jolls was a native of Scotland, and came to America with her parents in an early day. His grandfather, Gardener Jolls, was a native of England, and followed the sea the greater part of his life. Mrs. West's father was a justice of the peace for twenty years, holding that office while living in Lester Township. He has a good farm, well improved, where he resides, beside owning 320 acres of land in Lake County, Dakota.
Enos Wood has been a resident of Black Hawk County, Iowa, since the fall of 1854, when he settled about eighty rods east of his present house. He lived in a sod house till the following spring when he built a log house, in which he made his home till 1879. He then erected his present house at a cost of $2,500 which is one of the best residences in this township. It is a seven-room house, 18 x 31 feet in dimension, with a wing 16 x 22 feet. The foundation is of stone, and an excellent cellar, seven feet four inches in height, is under the whole house. The house is built of the best material, and stands on a high elevation commanding a fine view of the surrounding country. Mr. Wood is a practical farmer and stock-raiser, and in his chosen avocation has met with success, and now owns nearly 400 acres of land located on sections 4 and 5, his residence being on section 5, and his farm buildings are first-class, his barn costing $4,000. The size of his barn is 40 x 70 feet, and his shed adjoining the barn 32 x 100 feet, the former holding about 200 tons and the latter 100 tons of hay. The cost of the latter was $2,300. Mr. Wood has seeded his farm and is devoting his time to raising stock, and has on hand at present about 150 head of cattle. During the last year he raised 300 tons of hay. Mr. Wood is a native of Cattaraugus County, New York, born July 8, 1823, a son of Isaac P. and Louisa (Chaffee) Wood, natives of Onondaga County, New York. At the age of eighteen years he left his native county and went to Michigan where he remained six months helping to build the Michigan Central Railroad, working for $20 per month, receiving his pay in State warrants. He then worked on a farm in Medina County, Ohio, for two summers, after which he returned to Onondaga County, New York, where he remained seven years, coming to Iowa in 1854 as before stated. He was married January 1, 1844, to Morilla Nodine, who was born near Danbury, Connecticut, December 13, 1822. At the age of four years she went to Onondaga County with her parents, Jeremiah W. and Maria (Strope) Nodine, and there received a common school education, living there till her marriage. Her father was born near Danbury, September 25, 1800. He was married in Onondaga County, New York, and is still a resident of that county, now living at Spafford. He was reared a farmer and has made that the principal avocation of his life. Her great-grandfather, Frederick Whiting, was a native of London, England, and while attending school he, with several other students, took an oath against the king and all were banished. He came to America and settled in Connecticut in an early day, and is supposed to be dead, nothing having been heard of him for many years. Her mother, Mrs. Modine, was a native of Hamburg, Germany, born in 1795. Her father, Peter Strope, came with family to America when she was a child, locating in Onondaga County, where she died in 1876. To Mr. and Mrs. Wood have been born six children of whom four are living – Harriet, born March 31, 1847, wife of Samuel Canfield, of Lester Township; Louisa M., born February 8, 1857, wife of Jacob Tisinger, of Bennington Township, this county; Finnetta, born February 6, 1859, wife of Henry Hotendorf, of Lester Township, and Lilla, born May 18, 1861, wife of Otto Wildhagen, of Lester Township. Frank, the eldest child, died in Onondaga County, aged nearly nine months, and Emerald, born January 20, 1849, died August 27, 1870. Mr. Wood is liberal in his religious views. In politics he affiliates with the Republican party. He has been justice of the peace two years, and has served two terms as road supervisor. He has also served as road supervisor. He has also served as school director. When the Chicago, Iowa & Northern Pacific Railroad was being built Mr. Wood gave $500 cash, and the right of way through his farm, which took away about twelve acres, and also the ground for a depot. Isaac P. Wood, father of our subject, spent his life in Onondaga County, with the exception of a few years' residence in Cattaraugus County, New York. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and died about the year 1844. His widow is still living in Onondaga County, where she was born in August, 1800, and is now drawing a pension from the Government on account of her husband's services during the war of 1812.
Philander Wood was born in Ontario, Canada, April 13, 1826, his parents, Charles and Annie Wood, also being natives of Canada, his mother dying when he was but three years of age. He was reared to manhood in his native country, receiving the benefits of a common school education. His youth was spent on a farm, his father being a farmer by occupation. December 25, 1850, he was married to Elizabeth Whitney, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Whitney, of Ontario. Four children have blessed this union – Mary A., wife of P. D. Finch, of Black Hawk County, Iowa ; Samuel A., of Plymouth County, Iowa ; Charles N. and Willis. Mr. Wood left Canada in 1854, when he settled in Lee County, Illinois, and after a residence there of seven years he removed to Butler County, Iowa. He remained in Butler County till 1883, in which year he came to Cedar Falls, Black Hawk County, and during his residence here he and his family have made many friends by their courteous and hospitable manner. Mr. Wood has still his Butler County property, which consists of a valuable farm of 320 acres. Politically Mr. Wood is a Republican. Mrs. Wood is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church.