History and Biographical Record of Black Hawk County, Iowa - 1886 - G

Black Hawk County >> 1886 Index

Historical and Biographical Record of Black Hawk County, Iowa
Chicago: Inter-State Pub. Co., 1886

G


JOHN GARRETT, farmer and stock-raiser, section 15, East Wa­ terloo Township , was born in Huntingtonshire , England , June 24, 1827 , the eldest son of Francis and Sarah (Stratton) Garrett. His mother died when he was about ten years old. He was reared on a farm, and at­tended school in his native place till ten years of age. At the age of twenty-five years he immigrated to America , arriving at New York in April, 1852. He then went to Oneida County , New York , where he obtained work by the month on a farm, remaining there five years. In March, 1857, he came to Illinois locating in Win nebago County , where he was employed on a farm for the first season. He then rented a farm and there followed agricult­ ural pursuits about seven years. In the year 1853 Mr. Garrett married Hannah Hewitt, a native of England , but at the time of her marriage living in Oneida County , New York . She is a daughter of James and Mary Hewitt, her mother hav­ing died in this county in July, 1885, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Sohner. Mr. and Mrs. Garrett are the parents of five children -- William F., Charles H., Hollis J ., Minnie M. and Horatio S. In the spring of 1865 Mr. Garrett came with his family to Black Hawk County , Iowa , and settled on eighty acres of prairie land which he began to improve, and to this land he added from time to time till he owns 320 acres. Of this land he has given part to his children, and is now the owner of 160 acres. He has been very success­ful, as a hog and cattle raiser, most of his money being made in stock-raising. His fine residence is well and comfortably furnished, and his barn and out-buildings are of the best. Mr. Garrett had but very limited means when he commenced life in this country, but by his own persevering in­dustry and strict economy, together with his good management, he has acquired a competency for his old age. The family belong to the Baptist church.

G. W. Gilbert, merchant of Waterloo, is a native of Tioga County, New York, born July 10, 1833, the second son of Levi and Betsey (Watkins) Gilbert. His parents were both natives of Massachusetts, and were early settlers of New York State, living there till their death. G. W. attended school until he reached the age of seventeen years, when he entered the store of his father who was a boot and shoe merchant. At the age of nineteen he formed a partnership with his elder brother, Dan. B. Gilbert, of Waverly, with whom he continued four years. In the fall of 1855 he came to Iowa and stopped at Fort Dodge two years, in which place he preempted land. He then returned to New York in the fall of 1857, and in April, 1858, he was married to Sarah M. Jenks, of Owego, New York. Immediately after his marriage he came to Waterloo, where he has since resided. Soon after coming here he embarked in the mercantile business in partnership with J. R. Millard, with whom he was associated one year. He then sold his interest to his partner, and shortly after purchased a new store which he stocked with dry-goods, and has since carried on the business alone. His store is centrally located at No. 66 Commercial Street, and is well stocked with a full assortment of everything in his line. For two years he was associated with George A. Loring in the grain business, their elevator being on the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad. Mr. Gilbert was one of the stockholders of the First National Bank of Waterloo, which was organized in 1863. Both he and his wife are members of the Congregational church of Waterloo, and he has served in the capacity of trustee about four years.

Christian Good was born in Greene County, Tennessee, December 23, 1826, a son of John and Susannah (Smeltzer) Good, his father being a native of Virginia, and his mother of Tennessee, both of German extraction. His parents emigrated from Tennessee to Boone County, Indiana, a half a century ago, living in that county till their death. They were the parents of eleven children, of whom Christian was the eighth child. He was married in Boone County in 1846 to Charity Cotton, who was born in Indiana in 1826, a daughter of Cyrus and Mary Cotton, who were also natives of Virginia, of English, Dutch and Welsh extraction. Mr. and Mrs. Good have had eleven children born to them--John C., living in Cherokee county, this Sate; William A., of La Porte City; Noah P., living in this county; Irenius C., of Benton County, Iowa; Martha A., Eve R., Allie I., Handy O., Isaac N., and Francis M. at home. Mr. Good was one of the pioneers of this county, coming here when Indians and wild animals were the principal inhabitants, and has witnessed the many changes which have taken place since that early day. He was the first settler of Big Creek Township . He was also the first justice of the peace of this township. He was a minister of Evangelical Luthern denomination for several years, but has retired from the ministry, and is now living on section 29, Big Creek Township, where he has eighty acres of fine land. Of late years Mr. Good has been quite liveral in his religious views. He is one of the respected citizens of his township.

Alfred Grundy, attorney at law, of Cedar Falls, was born December 3, 1852, in Bureau County, Illinois, his parents, Henry and Henrietta Ruth Grundy, being natives of England. They immigrated to America about the year 1850, when they settled in Bureau County. Our subject was reared in his native county, receiving his primary education in the district schools. In the fall of 1876 he entered the Iowa State Normal School at Cedar Falls, being one of its first students. He attended that institution two years, and graduated in June, 1879. He taught one year in Christian County, Illinois, and during 1879 and 1880 he taught in the graded schools at Brooklyn, Iowa. During the summer of 1880 he taught in the teachers' institute held at Montezuma, Iowa, and in September of the same year he accepted the principalship of the Dyersville public schools, which position he filled acceptably for three years, and in the summer of 1882, was one of the instructors in the teachers' institute held at Dubuque, Iowa. In the fall of 1883 he entered the Iowa State University at Iowa City, graduating in the law class of June, 1884. He then formed his present partnership with the Hon. H. C. Hemenway, with whom he has since been engaged in the practice of law under the firm name of Hemenway & Grundy. July 11, 1881, Mr. Grundy was united in marriage to Miss Florence M. Sargent, a daughter of Thomas and Louisa Sargent, of Grinnell, Iowa. A son, Eugene A., was born to this union February 7, 1885. In politics Mr. Grundy affiliates with the Republican party. He is identified with both the Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges of Cedar Falls.