History and Biographical Record of Black Hawk County, Iowa - 1886 - C

Black Hawk County >> 1886 Index

Historical and Biographical Record of Black Hawk County, Iowa
Chicago: Inter-State Pub. Co., 1886

C


John E. CARNES, residing on section 15, Lester Township, was born March 8, 1814 in Center County, Pennsylvania, where he remained till eighteen years of age.

His parents, John E. and Jane (Aiken) Carnes, were natives of Genesee County, New York, and Pennsylvania, respectively. The father was born April 11, 1787, and died October 21, 1814, his death being caused by his falling from a tree. At the age of eighteen our subject went with his mother to Wayne County, Ohio, where she died October 23, 1854. Mr. Carns was married April 16, 1840, to Margaret Clubine, daughter of John and Deborah (Lemison) Clubine. To this union have been born twelve children-Emily J., born February 20, 1841, wife of A.B. Perry; Robert, born February 18, 1843, was a member of the Ninth Iowa Infantry, and was killed by a sharpshooter at the battle of Resaca, May 15, 1864; James C., born October 30, 1844, enlisted in the Thirty-first Iowa Infantry, and was wounded at Kenesaw Mountain, July 2, 1864, dying from the effects of his wounds at Chattanooga Hospital the 19th of the following October; Margaret E., born October 1, 1845, wife of Edwin Jefferson; John W., born July 11, 1848, contracted consumption while in the war, from which he died April 4, 1870; Thomas A. born April 16, 1850, now living in Lester; Mary l., born May 21, 1852, died October 6, 1856; Perry A., born May 8, 1854, died September 16, 1855; Charles W., born July 19, 1857, married and living in Lester; Orrin, born August 19, 1859, living in Lester; Loren W., born November 6, 1861; living at home, and U.S. Grant, born January 9, 1864, living at home. Mr. Carns came with his family to Black Hawk County, Iowa, in June, 1857, when he entered 200 acres of land from the Government, it being swampy land, located about one mile north of his present farm. On this land he made his home till 1880, when he removed to the place where he has since resided, and is now the owner of thirty-two acres of good land on section 15. Mrs. Carns's brother, James C. Clubine accompanied them to Black Hawk County in 1857. Mr. And Mrs. Carns are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics Mr. Carns affiliates with the Republican party. He has served as township assessor three terms, and has held the office of justice of the peace four years. Mr. Clubine, father of Mrs. Carns, was born in Germany, November 30, 1794, and when he was two weeks old his parents immigrated to America, locating in Ithaca, New York. He ran away from home at the age of fourteen years, and did not return for three years. He served in the war of 1812 nine months, being stationed at Governor's Island, near New York. On leaving the army he went to Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, and was there married, remaining there several years, his wife dying in that county when Mrs. Carns was but four years old. He was remarried, and a few months later moved to Wayne County, Ohio, and in 1842, he moved with his family to St. Joseph County, Michigan. He came to Black Hawk County, Iowa, in 1855 and settled in Lester Township.

At the time of his death he was a resident of Jesup, Buchanan County, Iowa, aged eighty-six years.

Thomas Cascaden, one of the enterprising business men of Waterloo, is a native of the North of Ireland, born June 23, 1835. When about fifteen years of age his parents, David and Mary E. Cascaden, immigrated to America, landing at Quebec, from there going to London, Canada, where they resided till their death. Thomas was reared to manhood in London, Canada, and attended the schools of that place till his seventeenth year. He then entered a foundry where he learned his trade, serving an apprenticeship of four years, after which he worked at his trade as a journeyman in the United States for a time. He then returned to Canada and conducted a foundry at South Hampton until 1870, when he came to Cedar Falls, Iowa, remaining there two years. He then removed to Waterloo, this county, and established his present foundry in connection with which he was extensively engaged in dealing in agricultural implements until 1885, when he disposed of that business. He was married in 1873 to Anna Mayes, of Waterloo, a native of Ohio. They have three children--John, David and Kittie. Mr. Cascaden, by a previous marriage, has one son whose name is Thomas. No man has done more to build up the town of Waterloo than Mr. Cascaden. He came here without a dollar, but in all his undertakings he has met with success, owing to his industry, frugality and good business management. He built the Frank block which is now occupied by Frank Brothers, clothiers, this block being one of the last he built in the city, and cost $20,000. He also built the Lamb & Lathrop block, corner of Fourth and Jefferson streets, north of the Irving Hotel on Bridge street, which hotel he assisted in building. He also built the four blocks opposite his office and the fine Tinner block. Around his fine, imposing residence, which is situated on an elevation, he has four and a half acres of ground, and all his surroundings betoken comfort as well as prosperity.

Joshua P. Churchill, a farmer of Union Township, fourth child of Randal and Catherine J. Churchill, was born May 8, 1844, in St. Joseph County, Michigan, coming to Black Hawk County with his parents when ten years of age, and remaining with them until his majority. He learned the art of photography, and practiced it until after the death of his father. He went to Colorado in 1866, and engaged in mining until 1868, when he returned and took charge of the homestead, where he has lived ever since, with the exception of two years spent in Colorado in the hope of benefiting his wife's health. He assisted his brother, Loren E., to get an education, and was his quiet helper in all his enterprises. He provided and cared for his mother until her death, which occurred May 26, 1881. Mr. Churchill was married March 16, 1879, to Miss Martha T. Stamp, who was born in Cass County, Michigan, July 7, 1846. Mr. and Mrs. Churchill have two children--Ralph L., born April 7, 1880, and Grace L., born June 8, 1883. In politics he casts his suffrage with the Republican party, but has always avoided official position; but has frequently been sent as a delegate from his township to county conventions, and was one of the delegates representing Black Hawk County in the Republican State Convention at Des Moines, in 1885, when Wm. Larrabee was nominated for Governor. He and his wife are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and earnest advocates of temperance. He has attained quite a reputation as a writer for the local press.

Randall Churchill, deceased, one of the pioneer settlers of Black Hawk County, was born in New York State, November 2, 1809. His parents were William and Jane (Dell) Churchill, the former born in 1770, of English descent, and the latter in 1775, of Irish and German descent. His grandfather, William Churchill was born about the year 1730, and was twice married, having three sons--David, Lemuel, and William by the first marriage, and three daughters and one son by the second. The mother of our subject died in 1840, and his father, after clearing four farms in the heavy timber of Ohio and Michigan, and raising a family of twelve children, and standing a bulwark of the Baptist church for more than sixty years, died in 1862, aged nearly ninety-two years. Randal Churchill accompanied his parents to Ohio in his boyhood, and there grew to manhood. In the early settlement of Ohio their mode of transportation was by what was termed a "flat-boat", a large boat capable of carrying several tons of produce, but rowed by hand. These boats or barges were manned and allowed to float down the Ohio River, and then the Mississippi to New Orleans, where the cargo was placed upon the market. Randal made the trip to New Orleans in this manner, when but seventeen years of age. He was married May 14, 1834, to Catherine J. Hamilton, who was born in Pennsylvania, March 3, 1811. Immediately after their marriage, they moved to St. Joseph County, Michigan, where they resided for twenty years, Mr. Churchill clearing and improving a heavily timbered tract of land. In 1854 they sold the farm in Michigan and moved to Black Hawk County, Iowa, purchasing 517 acres of land, part of it from the Government. He was well and favorably known in the county, held numerous township offices, being many years a justice of the peace, several times assessor and almost constantly school director. He was frequently impaneled on the jury at the county seat, and sat on one case where the defendant was convicted of murder. His family consisted of seven children, all of whom grew to maturity and usefulness, except one that died in infancy. Joshua P., the fourth son, who now resides on the old homestead, and Loren E., the youngest are more nearly related to Black Hawk County history than any of the rest. Loren E. took the full course of the Iowa State Normal School at Cedar Falls, became a successful teacher, held the office of county superintendent of schools of Black Hawk County for four years, edited the Iowa Teacher, won for himself quite a reputation as a writer and thinker, and took high ground among educators generally, but died in his thirty-fourth year, March 12, 1886. Few men, if any, in the county enjoyed a larger or more ardent circle of friends than Loren Edward Churchill. Randal Churchill endured all the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life, coming as he did when the wolves were boisterous watchers of his premises at night and the red deer cantered in full view in the daytime. The financial crash of 1857, when State Banks was the bane of our country, made close times for Mr. Churchill, but being free from debt he passed through safely. 1858 was known as "the wet summer", and as the rivers were not bridged yet the high water placed him in perfect quarantine so he could not market any of his produce. The vast amount of rain damaged 600 bushels of wheat so he could not sell it at any price, but he "saved it" by feeding it to hogs and selling the hogs at $2 per hundred, dressed. Mr. Churchill was a zealous supporter of President Lincoln's administration and gave him his last ballot. He died October 5, 1865.

A. D. Clark, residing on the north-east quarter of section 2, Poyner Township, was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, August 11, 1836, a son of Elick and Eunice (Brown) Clark, the father a native of Rutland, Vermont. Both parents died in Ashtabula County, the father in 1867 at the age of sixtyy-three years, and the mother in 1852 aged fifty-two years. A.D. was reared at his native place and in his youth received a good common-school education. October 8, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, First Wisconsin Infantry, and for a time served in the Fourteenth Army Corps under General Thomas. He participated in the battles of Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga and Mission Ridge, serving General Sherman till the capture of Atlanta, after which he returned to the Fourteenth Army corps. He was discharged October 8, 1864. In March, 1867, he came to Black Hawk County, Iowa, when he settled on his present farm, which at that time was an unimproved tract of land. He now owns 160 acres of well-cultivated land, a comfortable residence, surrounded by fine grounds, barns and sheds in good condition. Since coming to Iowa he has taught school every winter with the exception of three, and during the summers has followed agricultural pursuits. Mr. Clark was married April 22, 1860, to Mary Lindsey, daughter of Nelson and Matilda (Baker) Lindsey, both natives of New York. Mr. Lindsey is now living in Waterloo, Iowa. Of the four children born to Mr. and Mrs. Clark three are living--Ellen M., Charlie L. and Roscoe L. An infant unnamed died in 1861. Mr. Clark has served his township as assessor for several years.

Andrew Clark, one of the old pioneers of Black Hawk County, resides on section 22, Spring Creek township, where he owns 700 acres of valuable land. He was born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, November 13, 1836, a son of John and Barbara Clark, also natives of Pennsylvania. In 1852, his parents moved to Black Hawk County, Iowa, and settled one mile east of where our subject now lives. His father entered large tracts of land and left his family in good circumstances. He died July 28, 1877, and his widow now makes her home with her youngest son, William. Their family consisted of eight children--Simon, George, Henry, Mrs. Teeter, Andrew, Mrs. Howrey, Lewis and William. Andrew Clark was reared a farmer, receiving a fair education in the common-schoools. He was married September 4, 1857, to Sarah A. Masters, a native of Pennsylvania, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Masters, her mother deceased, but her father living in Central City, Iowa. Of the three children born to Mr. and Mrs. Clark, but two are living--Minera L., wife of Edward Haymond, and Lizzie J. Elliott is deceased. In politics Mr. Clark is a Democrat. He has served his township as schoool director and takes an active interst in educational matters. Mrs. Clark is a member of the Brethren church.

Lewis Clark, farmer and stockraiser, Spring Creek Township, lives on section 27, where he has a fine farm of 320 acres, all under cultivation. He was but ten years of age when his parents came to Black Hawk County and here he was reared and educated, attending in his youth the pioneer schools. He was born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, February 7, 1844, a son of John and Barbara Clark. His parents came to Iowa in 1854 and settled in Spring Creek Township, where the father died. The mother now makes her home with her son William. He has been successful in his agricultural pursuits and is now among the prosperous and well-to-do citizens of Spring Creek township. In politics he is a Democrat. He has served in several official relations; among others has been road supervisor and school director, taking a special interest in educational matters. He was married April 9, 1865, to Hester A. Howell, daughter of Stephen and Mary Howell. They have three children--William, James L. and Lewis.

Robert H. Clark, dentist, La Porte City, Iowa, was born in Livingston County, New York, January 4, 1835, a son of Calvin E. and Harriet C. Clark, who were of English descent. He was reared and educated in his native State, his early life having been spent in various pursuits. He has been twice married, taking for his first wife, Mary A. Gilmore, a daughter of Dr. James Gilmore, of Springbrook, Erie County, New York. She died leaving two children, William G. and Emma L. Mr. Clark was subsequently married to Mrs. Sallie A. (Woodley) Kennedy, a daughter of Abraham W. and Rhoda Woodley of La Porte City. Mrs. Clark has been a resident of Black Hawk County for many years. She was formerly married to the late A.C. Kennedy who was an early settler of this county, and to this union were born three children--Estella I., Orra A., and Olive M. In August, 1862, Mr. Clark enlisted in Company B., One Hundred and Thirty-sixth, New York Infantry. He participated in the battle of Chancellorsville, but the Eleventh Army Corps, of which he was a member, was principally held in reserve by General Sigel. He was shortly afterward taken sick with typhoid fever and confined in the hospitals of Philadelphia for four months. He was honorably discharged in August, 1863. He began to practice dentistry in 1865 which he followed successfully for a time in Michigan and also in Danville, New York. He came to Black Hawk County, Iowa, in 1873, locating at La Porte City, where he has since built up a large and lucrative practice and has established an excellent professional reputation, being the leading dentist of this city. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a comrade of the Grand Army post. Politically he is a Republican.

William Clark, a prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Spring Creek Township, was born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, April 12,1846, a son of John and Barbara Clark. His parents moved to Black Hawk County, Iowa, in 1854, and here he was reared. His parents died in this county leaving a large estate to their children, which they had acquired by many years of arduous toil and frugality. There was a family of eight children--Simon, now of Missouri; George, Lewis, Andrew, Henry, Nancy, wife of John Howery; Emeline, wife of D.B.Teeter; and William. William Clark was reared in Black Hawk County, receiving a fair education in the common schools. He has been an industrious man, and has added to the estate left him by his father until he now owns 343 acres of fair land. He is one of the prominent residents of the township, and has held many local positions of trust. In politics he is a Democrat. He was married January 1, 1873, to Ada Wallace, daughter of James Wallace of Benton County.

Judge Carlton F. Couch was born in Chautauqua County, New York, May 25, 1845. He was reared on a farm in his native State, his father, Warren Couch, being a farmer by occupation. His primary education was received at the district schools, and later he attended the Westfield and Jamestown academies. In the spring of 1866 he came to Waterloo, Iowa, and in the fall of the same year he began reading law, entering the office of Bagg, Allen & Miller. He completed his law studies under the firm of Boies & Allen, and in the fall of 1868 was admitted to the bar. In the spring of 1869 he became a member of the law firm of Boies & Allen, the firm of Boies, Allen & Couch continueing till January, 1874, when Mr. Allen retired. The firm of Boies & Couch then continued till 1882, when Mr. Couch was elected Judge of the Ninth District which is composed of five counties--Dubuque, Delaware, Buchanan, Black Hawk and Grundy--and is still holding the same position. The Judge was married in 1873 to Jessie E., the eldest daughter of Robert Manson, of Waterloo, who died May 29, 1879. To this union has been born one daughter--Gertie A.

Daniel W. Crouse, physician and surgeon, of Waterloo, is a native of Chester County, Pennsylvania, born November 5, 1845. When he was eleven years of age, his parents, Daniel and Mary (Maurer) Crouse, removed to Carroll County, Illinois, and there located on a farm. Daniel attended the Mount Carroll Seminary, and afterward went to the University of Michigan, from which institution he graduated in 1868. Immediately after graduating he went to New York, and attended lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons. He took a second course of lectures at Long Island College Hospital, graduating again in June 1869. He then began the practice of medicine at Morseville, Jo Daviess County, Illinois, but in the fall of 1869 came to Waterloo, where he has since followed the practice of his chosen profession. December 4, 1878, he was united in marriage to Florence B. Hawley, of Westfield, New York. The Doctor is a member of the Cedar Valley Medical Association, and is president of the Iowa State Medical Association and also belongs to the National Medical Association. He is at present Commissioner of the Insane of Black Hawk County.