History of Black Hawk County, Iowa - 1878 - S

Black Hawk County >> 1878 Index

History of Black Hawk County, Iowa
Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1878.

S


Unless otherwise specified, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.

SAGE, GEORGE G., farmer, Sec. 4; born in Onondaga Co., N. Y., in 1824. Married Sarah J. Amidon in 1850; she was born in the same county in 1831; they have six children - Harriet A., Edward A., Orrin G., Frank L., Rosella and Eudora L. Came to this county in November, 1864, and settled in Mt. Vernon Tp., where he resided until 1877, when he settled on his present place, where he has since made his home.

SARVAY, LOTUS, farmer, Sec. 26; P. O. Traer; born in Jefferson Co., N. Y., July 22, 1846; emigrated to Iowa and on to his present farm in 1868. He was married same year to Miss Sarah Colburn, from Jefferson Co., N. Y.; she was born Aug. 22, 1847; they have two children - Leonard, born Jan. 6, 1874; Elizabeth C., Sept. 7, 1877. He has 160 acres of land, valued at $30 per acre. He has held the offices of Road Supervisor two years. He is quite extensively engage in stock raising; makes hogs a specialty, of which he keeps a fine herd. He has made some fine improvements on his farm. In politics he is Republican; they are members of the M. E. Church.

SAYLOR, JOSEPH M., farmer, Sec. 11; P. O. Waterloo; born in Somerset Co., Penn., Dec. 25, 1837. Married Mary Buechly in Dec., 1860; she was born in Somerset Co., Penn., Jan. 21, 1837; they have two living children - Elias B. and Daniel; three children dead - William, Emma and Elnora. Came to this county in 1862, settling on his present farm of 120 acres, value dat $50 per acre. Members of the German Baptist Church.

SCHAEFER, JACOB, farmer, Sec. 33; P. O. Waterloo; born in Prussia Feb. 11, 1846; came to America with his parents in 1854, first settling in Lee Co., Ill.; came to this county, settling on his present farm of 120 acres, valued at $35 per acre, March 9, 1871. Married Mary E. Amfahr Sept. 29, 1871; she was born in Prussia Aug. 27, 1851. Members of the Roman Catholic Church. They have two children - Angeline, born July 9, 1872, and Charles P., born Nov. 26, 1877.

SCHENK, JOSEPH, farmer, Sec. 19; P. O. Waterloo; was born in Germany May 6, 1834; emigrated to this country and Connecticut in 1854; to New York in 1855; to Burlington, Iowa, in 1857; he took a trip to California in 1859; returning, he made a trip to Germany in 1863. Was married in 1864 to Miss Mary Gizer, from Germany; she was born Feb. 14, 1843. Returning to this country, he settled on his present farm in 1864; he has 240 acres of land, valued at $4,000; they have had seven children - Joseph, John M., Elizabeth, Irwin, Catherine, Lena, Casper W. Democrat.

SCHMITT, CASPER, Jr., far., S. 6; P. O. Waterloo; owns 120 acre of land in Black Hawk Co., and eighty in Buchanan Co., probable value $4,000; born Sept. 21, 1829, in Bavaria, Germany, where he attended school between the ages of 6 and 14 years; he then turned his attention to farming, and followed that business until he came to the United States, arriving in New York City Oct. 1, 1853; he then went to Seneca Co., Ohio, where he engaged in various occupations until April, 1856, when he went to Stephenson Co., Ill., and worked there by the month until the Spring of 1857; he then began the cultivation of a piece of land for himself, which was leased him by his former employer, and in that way he continued until the Fall of 1860, when he came to Black Hawk Co., Iowa, and was married in November of that year to Helena Berger of this county, she died in Jan., 1864; in Feb., 1865, he went back to Seneca Co., Ohio, and stayed there until April, 1867, and then moved to Freeport, Ill., where he was married May 7, 1867, to Matilda, daughter of Adam and Anna Maria Kungel, of Bavaria, Germany; she was born Sept. 12, 1841; they have five children - Francis, born March 23, 1868; Theresa, born March 12, 1870; Henry, born Oct. 15, 1872; Edward, born Oct. 12, 1874, and Albert, born Nov. 15, 1876; there is also one child, Kasper, born of his first wife, Nov. 3, 1863. In the Spring of 1867, Mr. Schmitt again returned to Barclay Tp., and finally settled here and engaged in farming. He is Democratic, and he and his wife and children are members of the Catholic Church.

SCHOMMER, PETER, school teacher, Sec. 22; P. O. Gilbertville; owns forty acres, probable value $1,200; he was born June 26, 1851, in the province of Rhine, Germany, where he attended school from the time he was 6 years until he was 18 years old; having passed successfully through his common school and academical courses, he engaged in teaching school for one year and nine months, and in January, 1872, he came to the United States, arriving in New York City on the 6th of that month; he went immediately to Milwaukee, Wis., where he stayed a short time, and then came to Black Hawk Co., Iowa, and settled in Fox Tp.; during his first year in this township he was engaged in farming, and in the following year, he again engaged in school teaching, which vocation he has since continued to follow; he attended a course of studies at the "Western Waterloo College," and also at the "Mt. Vernon Institute," Linn Co., Iowa, so as to try and perfect his knowledge of the English language; he is a close student, and never fails to avail himself of a favorable opportunity to improve his already well-stored mind; the youth of the county, and very many others, too, would do well to emulate his example in this respect. He was married May 27, 1877, to Anna, daughter of John and Margaritta Nosbisch, of Rhine Province, Germany. In politics Mr. s. is a Democrat; he and his wife are members of the Catholic Church.

SCHRAEDER, WILLIAM, far., Sec. 9; P. O. Waterloo; born in Germany in 1816, and emigrated to America in 184, and settled in La Salle Co., Ill. Married Seble Sebelee in 1859; she was born in Germany in 1826, and have four children - Mary, Henry, Annie and Katie; lost one infant daughter. Came to this county in 1867, and settled on his present farm of eighty acres, valued at $30 per acre. Are members of the Catholic Church.

SEAMAN, B. K., dealer in books and stationery, fancy goods, pictures and picture frames, East Side; was born in Essex Co., N. Y., Oct. 3, 1807. Married Charlotte H. Mead July 7, 1829; she was born in Warren Co., N. Y., Nov. 25, 1807. Mr. S. commenced life as Steward in Troy Conference Academy, of West Poultney, Vt., and graduated at the State Normal School, of New York, in 1844, and was afterward Principal of Model Department; moved to Clintonville, N. Y., where he was engaged in teaching and mercantile trade, but after nine years' residence moved to Appleton, Wis., purchasing an interest in a flouring-mill; came to this county in 1869, and for several years was Principal of public schools in this city. They have two children living - F. D. Seaman, at Alma City, Minn., and Mrs. C. G. Moak, whose husband is a merchant in Sun Prairie, Wis.; Mead H. died in Andersonville prison during our late war.

SEAVY, RUFUS, retired; born Aug. 9, 1802, in Chester, N. H.; in 1847, came to Lawrence, Mass.; in 1855, came to Butler Co.; in 1866, removed to Cedar Falls; he owns 4 1/2 acres with his residence in this city. Married Betsey Smith November 16, 1835; she was born May 2, 1811, in Chester, N. H.; had four children - Charles, enlisted in Co. B, 31st Iowa Infantry; served about nine months, and died June 21, 1863, at Walnut Hill, Miss.; the survivors are Meranda J. (now Mrs. Speer), Eunice F. (now Mrs. Homer Hammond), and George. Are members of the M. E. Church.

SECHSER, JOHN, farmer, Sec. 16; born in Germany in 1820. Married Elizabeth Collar in 1852; she was born in Germany in 1822; have three children - John, Jr., Frank and Michael. Came to this country in 1856, and settled in Dyersville, Delaware Co., where he resided until 1866, when he came to this county, and in 1878, settled on his present estate of 160 acres. Are members of the German Meth. Church.

SERGEANT, BYRON, farmer, Sec. 24; P. O. waterloo; born in Pennsylvania Dec. 25, 1829; emigrated to this State, and on his present farm in 1853. He was married in 1855 to Miss Maria Crane, from New York; they have four children - Effa H., Harriet M., George C. and Alma B. He has 262 acres of land, valued at $30 per acre. He has held the offices of Township Supervisor four years; Township Trustee one year; Secretary School Board six years. Mr. sergeant was among the earliest settlers in the township; only one when he came; he attended the meeting for the organization of the county in the Fall of 1853. He is a Republican, and attended the first Republican Convention held in the county. He has always taken a lively interest in his county and township. He also attended the meeting, and assisted in the organizing of the township. He was chosen as Clerk of the meeting, and was afterward elected permanent Clerk of the township. there were but 11 voters in the township at that time. They depended entirely on a home market to dispose of their products for the first three years.

SEVERANCE, GEORGE, farmer, Sec. 26; P. O. Hudson; born in Greenfield, Mass., in 1827; he moved to East Hartford, Conn., in 1854, and worked at his trade as burnisher until 1856, when he moved to and located in Grundy Co. in this State, and to his present location in 1860. He was married in 1848 to Miss Eliza E. Backus from Connecticut; they have five children - Annie E., Isabel M., Cora J., Charles F., Virginia I. Mr. S. has held the offices of School Director one year, Road Supervisor three years. He was the first Road Supervisor elected in Grundy Co.; only two houses in Grundy Center when he came. He hauled the lumber from Dubuque, with an ox team, and built the first frame house built in Grundy Center. He came through from Chicago to Waterloo with team in 1856, and it rained every day but one while on the way.

SEVERIN, L. H., druggist, Main st., residence, corner Washington and Fourth sts; born Feb. 2, 1842, in Germany; in 1853, came to Chicago; in 1855, removed to Elgin, Ill., and was five years apprenticed to the drug business. In 1861, enlisted in Co. A, 36th Illinois Infantry; served three years and three months, and was honorably discharged in 1865. Came to Cedar Falls and commenced his present business in 1867. Married Celia Zach in 1867; she was born in 1851 in Bridgeport, Conn.; have two children - Mary and Celia. Are members of the German Lutheran Church. Has been four years a member of the City Council.

SHAFER, AUGUSTUS, farmer, Sec. 6; born Feb. 24, 1828, in Penn.; in 1834, came to Crawford Co.; in 1849, came to De Kalb Co., Ill.; in 1852, came to Rockford, Ill., and in 1854, removed to Cedar Falls. He owns 165 acres of land. Married Mary Hammen in 1853; she was born in 1832 in Westmoreland Co., Penn.; had nine children, seven living - Emma C., Charles H., Elmer E., Simon W., Irene E., Burton A. and Della A.

SHAFFER, SAMUEL M., farmer, Sec. 19; P. O. Cedar Falls; born in Carroll Co., Ind., in 1837. Married Nancy Lenhart in Oct., 1861; she was born in the same county in 1842; have three children - William H., James L. and John W. Came to this county in 1866, and in 1869, settled on his present estate, consisting of eighty acres, valued at $40 per acre. Has been Road Supervisor four years, and his family are members of the M. E. Church.

SHAFFNER, P., farmer, Sec. 27; P. O. Hudson; born in Knox Co., Ohio, in 1832; he emigrated with his parents to Clark Co., Ill., in 1848. He was married in 1860 to Miss Malinda Rupp from Ohio. They have three children - Ella May, born July 9, 1861; Emma N., born March 1, 1863; Etta D., born Aug. 14, 1874. In 1864, he, with his family, moved by team to Anoka, Minnesota, where he was engaged in the grocery and meat trade for four years. Mr. Shaffner went to Minnesota for his health. The distance they traveled was 1,100 miles, which took six weeks. In 1869, he came to Iowa and settled on his present farm, which consists of 145 acres of land, valued at $35 per acre. He has held the office of School Director one year. In politics, Republican. they are members of the M. E. Church; but not having any M. E. Church near they unite with the United Brethren and worship in their new church on Sec. 24.

SHANLIS, NOAH P., far., Sec. 35; P. O. Waterloo; born in Somerset Co., Penn., in 1847. Married Hannah Perkins in 1871; she was born in Maine in 1851; he came to this county in 1867, and in 1871, settled on his present farm of eighty acres, valued at $40 per acre. Members of the M. E. Church. Charlotte, Effie and Ammon N. are their children.

SHANLIS, SIMON, farmer, Sec. 16; P. O. Waterloo; owns 580 acres of land, valued at $40 per acre; born in Penn., Nov. 5, 1821, where he married Julian Harsh Oct. 20, 1842; she was born in Penn., Feb. 2, 1822; they came to this county, settling on their present farm Oct. 24, 1867. They are members of the United Brethren Church. They have ten children - Elizabeth, born March 18, 1843; Simon, born July 31, 1844; enlisted in the 142d Penn. V. I. Co. C, Aug. 2, 1862, and discharged may 29, 1865; Caroline, Jan. 14, 1846; Noah, Sept. 3, 1847; Amanda, Nov. 24, 1848; Emanuel E., Dec. 19, 1851; Wesley, May 17, 1854; Charlotte, Nov. 3, 1855; Jacob R., Sept. 8, 1859; John R., June 20, 1862.

SHAW, C. L., farmer, Sec. 35; P. O. Raymond; born in Wyoming Co., N. Y., in 1836; moved to Illinois in 1853; to Iowa and Cedar Falls in 1866; on his present farm in 1876. He was married in 1857 to Miss Jeannitte Culver, from New York; they have four children, three living - Elmer F., born Sept. 28, 1858; Carrie D., born March 31, 1862; Lottie, born April 26, 1869. He has 240 acres of land, valued at $7,000. He enlisted in the 105th I. V. I., Co. A, in 1862; mustered out June 20, 1865; he was in sixteen severe engagements. He was in the Atlanta campaign with Gen. Sherman. He has held the offices of Township Assessor, one year; Township Clerk one year.

SHAW, SAMUEL D., retired; was born in Rutland Co., Vt., April 19, 1811; emigrat5ed to St. Louis, Mo., in 1831, and after eight years moved to Licking Co., Ohio, where he married Elizabeth Stoughton July 16, 1840; she was born in Greenville, Licking Co., Ohio, Sept. 30, 1819, and they came to this county in 1852, settling in Orange Tp., on Sec. 1. Elected Judge of the County Court in 1862, and moved to this city.

SHEAN, JAMES, farmer, Sec. 14; P. O. Waterloo; born in Ireland in 1815. Married Mrs. Elizabeth Kelley in 1862; she had three children by first marriage who are still living - Mary A., Maggie and Elizabeth A. Came to this county in 1852 and settled on his present estate of eighty acres, valued at $30 per acre. They have one child - Rosa, and are members of the Catholic Church.

SHEHAN, PATRICK, farmer, Sec. 21; P. O. Cedar Falls; was born in Ireland in 1820. Married Ann McArdle in 1857; she was born in Ireland in 1821; have ten children - John, Mary, Catharine, Patrick, Daniel, Elizabeth, Thomas, William and Margaret (twins), and Maurice. Came to this country in 1850, landing in New Orleans; lived in Indiana and Ohio until 1855, when he came to this county and settled in Cedar Rapids, where he engaged at his trade, being a mason; in 1863, he came to this township, and settled on his present estate, consisting of 250 acres - 100 acres valued at $50 per acre, and the remainder at $20 per acre. Mr. S. and family are members of the Catholic Church.

SHERWOOD, W. A., firm of W. B. Sherwood & Co., pottery on First street; born April 17, 1842, in Attica, N. Y.; the same year came with his parents to Whitewater, Wis.; in 1858, came to Green Lake Co., Wis.; in 1866, came to Eldora, Iowa; in 1867, removed to Cedar Falls. Married Josephine Tolman in 1865; she was born April 10, 1846, in Worcester, Mass.; had three children, two living - Hattie and Nellie.

SHIELDS, ROBERT R., farmer; Sec. 33; P. O. Cedar Falls; born in England, July 12, 1809, and married Hannah Johnson in 1832; she was born in England in 1809, and died in 1853; have six children living - Elizabeth, Mary, Isabel, Jane, Samuel and Edward; they have lost six children - Robert, Edward, Eliza, Sarah, Rosana and Robert. Came to America in 1851, and settled in St. Joseph Co., Mich., where he resided until 1856, when he came to this county, and in 1873, settled on his present farm of forty acres, valued at $40 per acre.

SHIELDS, SAMUEL, farmer and broom manufacturer, Sec. 17; P. O. Cedar Falls; born in Yorkshire, England, in 1841, and came to this country in 1854, with his father Robert, and settled in St. Joseph Co., Mich., where he lived until 1861, when he married Orilla Thomas; she was born in Rock Island Co., Ill., in 1843. Resided one year in Chicago, and moved to this county, and in 1864, settled on his present estate of 120 acres, valued at $30 per acre. Is Justice of the Peace, School Director and Secretary. Has been engaged in the manufacture of brooms for twenty years, and does an extensive business. Their children are Edward V., Melinda E., Emma J., Nellie E. and William C.

SHILLIAM, SAMUEL, livery, sale and feed stable; also dealer in live stock; was born in Mineral Point, Wis., April 9, 1845; moved to Hazel Green, Wis., when quite young, with parents, where he married Mary H. Bates Dec. 11, 1867; she was born in Vinegar Hill, Jo Daviess Co., Ill., in May, 1850; in December, 1869, came to this city, where he has been identified as one of the live stock shippers of the city.

SHIMER, JESSE, farmer, Sec. 19; P. O. Waterloo; born in Madison Co., Ind., in 1827, and married Eliza Winsett Dec. 29, 1849; she was born in Delaware Co., Ind., Feb. 19, 1831, and died June 28, 1859; they have four children - Henry C., born Dec. 19, 1850; John A., Jan. 26, 1853; William A., March 14, 1857, and James M. March 4, 1859. In 1852, he emigrated to the West, and settled in Linn Co., and in the following year came to this county, and settled in Spring Creek Tp. Married his present wife, Elizabeth Leach, Aug. 25, 1859; she was born in Wood Co., Va., July 28, 1840; their children are Elvira J., born Oct. 5, 1860; Harvey L., Sept. 27, 1862; Jesse M., Nov. 23, 1864; Melissa M., Jan. 30, 1871, and Hanford A., Jan. 5, 1873; have lost three children - Berry E., Irving G., and Effie E. Mr. S. was largely engaged in the stock business during his residence in Spring Creek, where he resided until 1874, when he removed to La Porte City, and, in 1877, settled on his present farm, where he has since made it his home.

SHOCKEY, C. C., restaurant and confectionery, Main street; born June 29, 1847, in Fountain Co., Ind.; in 1856, removed to Iowa City, Iowa; in 1862, came to Danville, Ill.; in 1866, returned to Iowa City; in 1867, came to West Liberty; the same year, to Brooklyn, Iowa; in 1868, came to Iowa Falls; in 1870, came to Waterloo; in 1872, came to Parkersburg, Iowa; in 1873, came to Eldora, then to Osage; in the Spring of 1874, came to Cedar Falls. Married Henrietta F. Foss April 23, 1870; she was born Jan. 31, 1853, in Janesville, Wis; have one child - Henry C., born June 24, 1876.

DANIEL SHOOK. SHOOK & WALKER, dealers in groceries, East Side. Daniel Shook was born in Coshocton Co., Ohio, Jan. 19, 1845, and came to this county in the Spring of 1869; commenced business in 1870....

SHOWALTER, E., farmer and dentist, Sec. 15; P. O. Waterloo; born in Tuscarawas Co., Ohio, Aug. 30, 1839; in 1856, he went to Ashland Co., Ohio, where he attended school until 1859; in 1862, he moved to Wayne Co., Ohio, where he married, at West Salem, Catherine A. Meyers Aug. 28, 1862; she was born in the same county June 2, 1841. Emigrated to Van Buren Co., Mich., and came to this county in 1873, settling on their present estate, consisting of forty acres, valued at $40 per acre. Are members of the German Baptist Church. Their children are Sarah, born Oct. 12, 1863; Mahlon F., May 27, 1867, and John, Feb. 7, 1875.

SIMMONS, GEORGE W., proprietor of the New York House; was born in Steuben Co., N. Y., Oct. 29, 1816. Married Deborah Fulkerson Nov. 23, 1839; she was born in Yates Co., N. Y., June 9, 1816; Mr. S. moved to Yates Co., N. Y., where he married, and then in 1843, emigrated to Calhoun Co., Mich., and then came in 1854, to this county, settling in this city, and building a portion of his present house twenty years ago; has kept it as a hotel for eleven years.

SKOW, PETER, farmer; Sec. 24; P. O. Waterloo; born in Denmark in 1852, and married Martha Fillerup in 1874; she was born in Denmark in 1852. Came to this country in 1872, and after one year in Grundy Co., came to this county, settling in this township. Anna K. and Grace E. are his children.

SMALLING, IRA, far., S. 6; P. O. Janesville, Bremer Co.; born in Greene Co., N. Y., in 18l8. Married Mary E. Peck Feb. 2, 1842, and came to this county in April, 1865, and settled on his present farm, consisting of eighty acres of land, valued at $3,000. Are members of the Prebyterian Church. Their living children are Dorrance K. and Eunice C.; they lost one child - Harriet B.

SMITH, A. L., farmer, Sec. 30; P. O. Cedar Falls; born March 31, 1835, in Massachusetts; in 1839, came to Winnebago Co., Ill.; in 1865, came to Black Hawk Co., Iowa; owns 185 acres, valued at $25 per acre. Married Eunice M. Wheeler April 2, 1857; she was born in 1837, in New York; have six children - Fred L., Elsie E., Orvil, Courtney, Orra and Gains. Mr. S. has been three years Assessor.

SMITH, A. S., Mayor, and dealer in real estate; residence corner Third and Washington streets; born Aug. 24, 1814, in Litchfield, Conn.; in 1817, came with his parents to Bradford Co., Penn.; in 1841, commenced the general merchandise business, and so continued till 1854, when he removed to New York City and engaged in the commission business for about two years; in 1856, removed to Cedar Falls. Married Sarah M. Baldwin Oct. 10, 1841; she was born in 1819, in Connecticut; have four children - Robert S., Sarah A., Edward P. and Ella S. Mrs. S. is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

SMITH, GEORGE W., farmer, Sec. 4; P. O. Cedar Falls; was born in Fulton Co., N. Y., in 1807. Married Lorinda Throop in 1827; she was born in the same county in 1806; they have three children - Angeline, Eliza and Melissa; have lost two children - Enoch T. and George W. Came to this county in July, 1855, and settled in Cedar Falls, where he built a grist-mill, and engaged in that business until 1873, when he purchased and settled on his present estate, consisting of seventy-two and one-half acres of land, valued at $2,000. Held the offices of Supervisor, Constable and Sub-Director of Schools, and has been otherwise prominently known and identified with the interests of the county.

SMITH, GEORGE W., farmer, Sec. 6; born in Livingston Co., N. Y., in 1838, and emigrated to this State in 1854, and in 1861, enlisted in the 9th I. V. I., Co. D; served one year and was honorably discharged. Married Fannie Flint in July, 1863; she was born in New Hampshire in 1844; they have five children - William, Frederick, Charles, Florence and Franky; lost three children - Benjamin, Dora and one that died in infancy. Settled on his present estate of 240 acres in the Spring of 1878, where he has since made his home.

SMITH, J. H., general store, Fourth street; born in Cortland Co., N. Y., in 1831. Married Martha Jacobs in 1858, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1843; they emigrated to this county in the Fall of 1853, first settling on Sec. 17, in Barclay Tp.; came to this city in 1867, and commenced his present business in 1873. Grant is their only living child; John C. died at the age of 19 years, and Freddie, when ten months old.

SMITH, THOMAS I., farmer, Sec. 17; P. O. Waterloo; owns 170 acres of land, probable value $4,300; born Oct. 8, 1830, in Cortland Co., N. Y., and when old enough to work, assisted his father (Abraham Smith), to work the farm, until he was 21 years of age; in 1851, he went to Galena, Ill.; he lived there for about six months, and then went to Wisconsin, where he engaged in various occupations until 1853, when he went to the pineries of that State and superintended the running of the lumbering shanties until 1859, during that time he did considerable rafting on the Mississippi River; he came to Black Hawk Co., Iowa, and settled in Barclay Tp., in 1859, and on Dec. 26 of that year, was married to Henrietta, daughter of Cyrus and Catharine Smith, of this township; she was born Dec. 26, 1842; they have five children - Frank M., born Dec. 26, 1860; Rachel, born Sept. 6, 1865; Owen a., born March 6, 1866; Elias P., born March 17, 1868 and Jennie L., born July 12, 1872. Mr. Smith had entered eighty acres of land here in 1855, four years before he became a settler; when he arrived in Galena in 1851, he had not a cent in his pocket, and now is the owner of a nice home and farm free from debt. In politics, he is a Democrat, and was Road Supervisor three or four terms; Mrs. Smith is a member of the Wesleyan M. E. Church. Her father was one of the first settlers of this township, having came here in 1856; he died Nov. 21, 1874.

SMITH, WILLIAM F., farmer, Sec. 35; P. O. Waterloo; born in Hanover, Germany, in 1835. Married Augusta Kistner in 1859; she was born in the same place in 1836, and died in 1872. Came to this country in 1858, settling in Somerset Co., Penn., and in 1863 came to this county, and settled on his present farm in 1864; it contains 120 acres, valued at $35 per acre. Charles, Ida, Anna, John, Emma, Willie and Edward are their children.

SMITH, WILLIAM, farmer, Sec. 30; P. O. Waterloo; born in Ireland in 1818. Married Bessy Glannay in 1842; she was born in Ireland in 1815. Annie, Henry, Richard, Mariah and Jane are their children; lost three children - Isabel, Eliza and Eliza. Emigrated to America in 1853, and settled in Winnebago Co., where he resided until 1869, when he moved to this county, and settled on his present farm of eighty-three acres, valued at $40 per acre.

SNOWDEN, WILLIAM, dealer in drugs, medicines, paints, oils, glass, dye stuffs, etc.; was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., Feb. 8, 1834; emigrated to Ogle Co., Ill., in March, 1856, and came to this city in July, 1860, where he married Delia M. Evans Aug. 6, 1863; she was born in Edwardsburg, Mich. Mr. Snowden commenced business on his arrival in this county, and is one of the pioneer business men.

SNYDER, ADAM, dealer in boot and shoes, repairing of all kinds; East Side; was born in Germany in 1830; emigrated to this country in 1851, settling in New York City in 1852; he went to Canada, and in Oct., 1855, came to Dubuque, Iowa, and came to this county in 1866, settling in this city. Married Sarah Seiffort July 17, 1858; she was born in Vermont; Frank is their only son.

SOLOMON, CHRISTOPHER, farmer, Sec. 19; born in England in 1833, and emigrated to America in 1865, first settling in Michigan, where he resided until 1866, when he came to this county, where he has since made it his home; owns farm of eighty acres of land valued at $1,600, lives in the enjoyment of a bachelor.

G. PAUL SOMANEUX

Early Settlement

The first "pale-face" to enter the domain of the Sacs and Foxes, in that portion of the valley of the Cedar now embraced within the limits of Black Hawk County, was, so far as is now known, G. Paul Somaneux, a Frenchman, who located at the Falls of the Cedar in the Spring or early Summer of 1837, and commenced trafficking with the natives. For some reason, probably not caring to spend the Winter alone, surrounded by "no gentler" neighbors than Indians, he left his encampment in the Fall of that same year. Although his first stay was so brief, Somaneux must probably be considered the pioneer settler of Black Hawk County, for he returned ten years after his first visit or stay, and in the Winter of 1847-48, in company with A. J. Taylor, trapped above Sturgis Falls. During the following Summer of 1848, Somaneux worked for Overman & Co. In the Fall of that year, he trapped along the Shell Rock, and early in the Winter of 1848-49, made a claim and built a cabin where the village of Cedar City now stands. He is said to have been a very devout Catholic, having been reared by a Catholic priest at Detroit, Mich., and very rarely uttered a profane word. He died at his cabin n the Fall of 1850, and was buried on the bank of the slough, near by. Leaving no known heirs, his estate was administered by John T. Barrick.

SOUTH, CHARLES S., farmer, Sec. 25; P. O. Blakeville; born in Allegheny Co., Penn., Oct. 31, 1842; emigrated to this state and his present farm in 1865. He was married, in 1863, to Miss Jane McGill, from Greene Co., Wis; they have five children - John C., Edith R., Harry R., Leonard and Effa. He has eighty acres of land, valued at $2,000. He has held the office of School Director one year. Mr. S. enlisted in the army Sept. 5, 1861, in the 5th Wis. Battery; mustered out March 3, 1863; he was in several severe engagements.

SPEER, JOHN A., farmer and nurseryman, Sec. 19; he was born in Westmoreland Co., Penn., in 1834, where he enlisted in the 11th Penn. Res. in May, 1861, and was honorably discharged in 1865. Married Sabina Barr in 1866; she was born in Armstrong Co., Penn., in 1840; they have three children - Lola, Victor and Mildred; came to this county same year of marriage, and settled on his present estate, valued at $60 per acre.

SPEICHER, JOHN, farmer, Sec. 16; P. O. Waterloo; owns eighty acres of land, valued at $45 per acre; born in Somerset Co., Penn., Jan. 7, 1816. Married Barbara Saylor Jan. 24, 1841, who was born in Somerset Co., Penn., March 12, 1822. Emigrated to Allamakee, Iowa, in the Fall of 1854, and came to this county Oct. 19, 1856. Mr. S. is one of the Speakers of the German Baptist Church. Missouria (now Mrs. Louis Libby),born Nov. 7, 1841, and William, March 16, 1860, are their children.

SPOOR, JACOB, far., S. 25; P. O. Waterloo; born in Somerset Co., Penn., in 1835. Married Lydia Horner in 1865; she was born in Wayne Co., Ohio, in 1840; came to this county in 1866, settling in Orange Township. Have four children - Lovina, Wilson, Eunice and Mariah.

Sprague, James W., farmer, Sec. 5; P. O. La Porte City; born in Oswego Co., N. Y., in 1844. Married Amanda Brown in 1874; she was born in Logan Co., Ohio, in 1846; have one child - Dora M.; Mrs. S. has one child by first marriage - Nellie Hagenbaugh. Came to this county in May, 1864, and settled in Poyner Tp., where he still owns a form of ninety-four acres, valued at $25 per acre. He enlisted in the 1st I. V. C., Co. L, in 1864, and was honorably discharged in February, 1865.

SPRAGUE, THALMA, farmer, Sec. 13; P. O. La Porte City; born in Oswego Co., N. Y., June 19, 1815; moved to Wisconsin in 1845; to Iowa and on his present farm in 1855. He was married in 1837 to Miss Hannah Baldwin, from New York; born May 2, 1817; they have had nine children, three living - Julius J., born June 20, 1846; Milvina, born April 4, 1852; Lester S., born Dec. 17, 1857. He has 200 acres of land valued at $6,000. He has held the office of School Director five years. Mr. Sprague is among the pioneers of the county. Cedar Falls was the nearest market; Independence the nearest mill. Mr. S. followed the lakes for fourteen years; Oswego to Cleveland his principal route.

ST. JOHN, ELON, farmer, S. 19; P. O. Waterloo; owns sixty acres of land, probable value, $1,500; born May 9, 1816, in Cayuga Co., N. Y.; when 6 years old, he moved with his parents (Joshua and Rebecca St. John) to Wayne Co., N. Y., where he assisted his father on the farm and went to school between times. He was married Dec. 23, 1837, to Julia, daughter of Benjamin and Anna Burton, of Saratoga Co., N. Y.; she was born Jan. 14, 1814; they have three children - Philo, born Sept. 12, 1851; Lilla, born Feb. 7, 1850; Perry, born Feb. 27, 1855; lost seven children - Josiah, Adelia, Burton, John, Alice, Esther and Ella. Mr. St. John was engaged in the saw-mill business from 1845 to 1867 in Wayne Co., N. Y., and in 1868, he came to Black Hawk Co., Iowa, and settled in Barclay Tp., where he now resides. He is a Republican, and is serving his second term as Township Clerk, and is also serving his ninth consecutive term as School Treasurer; he was Township Trustee two terms, and Assessor three terms. While in New York, he took an active part in the completion of the Erie Canal, having been engaged in extensive contracts on that work from 1855 to 1867, when it was completed; in 1866, he was appointed Superintendent of Section 10, on the Erie Canal, and served in that capacity one year; in 1857, he was Commissioner of Highways in the town of Arcadia, Wayne Co., N. Y., for four consecutive terms; in 1860, he was elected Supervisor for the same town for three years, and again for two years; in 1862, was Chairman of the Board of Supervisors of the same town for three years, and again for two years was Chairman of the Board of Supervisors; in 1863, he was appointed Commissioner of Excise for Wayne Co., and filled that office for three years. His son John was born Oct. 28, 1844, and enlisted in Sept., 1864, in the 18th N. Y. V. Battery, and was in several engagements, amongst which was the reducing of Mobile and its capture; he died at Cape Hatteras June 4, 1865, from disease contracted by exposure while in active service.

STANLO, DANIEL D., general store, East Side; born in Orange Co., N. Y., Aug. 28, 1826. Married Sarah A. Green Feb. 8, 1851; she was born in Sullivan Co., N. Y., June 30, 1831; emigrated to Stephenson Co., Ill., in December, 1855, and to this county June 1, 1860; Mrs. Mary A. Boyd, Kate O. and Orissa are his children.

STEARS, HENRY, far., S. 6; P. O. Janesville, Bremer Co.; born in Yorkshire, England, in 1827, and came to this country in 1835, settling in St. Joseph, Mich., where he married Hannah Thurston, in 1855; she was born in St. Joseph County in 1835. In 1853, he moved to Bremer County and resided until 1864, when he came to this township and settled on his present estate, consisting of eighty acres, valued at $35 per acre. Their children are Charles H. and A. Genevieve.

STEBBINS, JOHN R., Postmaster; was born in Medina Co., Ohio, June 2, 1821. Married Sarah A. Beal June 21, 1853; she was born in New York, June 31, 1823. Mr. Stebbens held the office of County Auditor in his native county for sixteen consecutive years. Came to this county, settling in La Porte City April 20, 1870, and appointed Postmaster in the Spring of 1874. Mrs. Clara Eberhart, Henry E., William A. and George E. are his living children; William H., deceased.

STEDMAN, ELIHU H., proprietor National Hotel; born in Meigs Co., Ohio, Dec. 16, 1813, to which county his father - Eli - emigrated from Vermont in the Winter of 1803-4, and traveling to Pittsburgh in sleighs, remaining at this point until the river opened. This small colony secured flatboats, and floated down the Ohio to Point Harmer, from which place they proceeded to Woolf Creek, where they erected the first mill that was ever built in that section of the country. Purchased their land of the Ohio Land Purchasing Company in 1806; his father died in this county in May, 1846. The subject of this sketch married Adeline Elliott May 20, 1837; she was born in Meigs Co., Ohio, March 8, 1819, and died Sept. 18, 1854, at which time they were making preparations for their journey to this State. In that year, he settled in Cedar Rapids, where he resided until 1865. Eli M., Mary C., Dudley E., Elbert P. and Addie are their children. His present wife, Sarah J. Powell, was born in Washington Co., Ohio, June 27, 1830, and they were married April 24, 1855; by this marriage, they have three children - Alice, Jennie and Charlie. Settled in this village in 1877; he has since made it his home. Has been prominently identified with the interests of the town and county where he resided. Served one year in the rebellion as First Lieutenant in Company A, 37th Iowa V. I., and was honorably discharged.

STEELY, JOHN M., farmer, Sec. 10; P. O. Waterloo; born in Pennsylvania in 1837; came to Iowa, and on his present farm in 1868. He was married in 1859, to Miss Mary Haffa, from Pennsylvania; they have eight children = Allen W., Henry, Ellsworth M., Daniel O., Nelson, John, Joel, Cora E. He has 320 acres of land, valued at $6,000. He has held the office of Township Supervisor two years, Township Trustee three years, School Director four years. In religion, they are members of the Evangelical Church; in politics, Republican. Mr. S. has always taken a prominent part in the interests of his county and township.

STEIMEL, William, farmer, Sec. 15; P. O. Waterloo; born in Germany in 1829, and emigrated to this country in 1854, and settled in La Salle Co., Ill., and in 1856 came to this county and settled on his present farm of 180 acres, valued at $45 per acre. Married Ann E. Penne in 1859; she was born in Germany in 1838; they have nine children - Adaline E., Mary B., Emma K., William E., Clara H., Edgar, Joseph F., John A. and Theodore. Held the office of Assessor six years, Town Clerk two years, and otherwise prominently identified. Are members of the Catholic Church.

STEINMAYER, C. A., dealer in groceries, crockery and glassware, Commercial st.; was born in Germany in 1835. Married Sarah B. Bence. Emigrated to this country in 1854, settling in Stark Co., Ohio, and then to Waukesha Co., Wis. Enlisted in the 2d Wis. Lt. Art. in 1863, and was honorably discharged in 1865, and in August of the same year he came to this city. Commenced his present business in 1869.

STEVENS, HENRY, farmer, Sec. 20; P. O. La Porte; born in Waukesha Co., Wis., in 1835, and came to this county in July, 1857, where he married Nancy Hammond in 1860; she was born in Indiana July 16, 1841; their children are Alonzo, Sylvester, Clarissa A., Addie, Edith, Alfred, Ellis, Cora and Evalena. He enlisted in the 31st I. V. I., Co. D, Aug. 8, 1862, and was honorably discharged in August, 1865; engaged in the battles of Lookout Mountain, Vicksburg and others. Owns 460 acres of land, valued at $35 per acre. Are members of the Church of God.

STEVENS, W. H., farmer, Sec. 20; P. O. Reinbeck, Grundy Co.; he was born in Jefferson Co., Wis., March 17, 1844; he moved to Iowa and on to his present farm in 1866. He was married in 1863 to Miss Charlotte Barrett, of St. Lawrence Co., N. Y.; they had two children - Silas E. and Lena; Lena died. His wife died June 8, 1874. He was married again April 5, 1875, to Miss Olive Hoag, from Illinois; they have one child - alma, born June 17, 1876. He has 120 acres of land, valued at $35 per acre. He enlisted in the 1st Wis. Heavy Artillery, Co E, in 1864; he was mustered out in July, 1865. He has held the office of School Director three years; Road Superintendent one year. In politics he is Republican. Mr. S. is among the earliest settlers in the township. His farm was in a wild state when he came; he has reduced it to a fine state of cultivation, and made some fine improvements.

STOKES, WESLEY S., far. S. 8; P. O. Waterloo; born in Putnam Co., Ind., April 8, 1844; emigrated with his parents to McDonough Co., Ill., in 1848, where he remained until 1862, when he enlisted in the 124th Ill. V. I., Co. I, engaging in the battles of Champion Hills, siege of Vicksburg and many others, and was honorably discharged Aug. 16, 1865; returning to Hancock Co., Ill., and Feb. 12, 1868, married Mary C. Grigsby; she was born in Muskingum Co., Ohio, July 9, 1848; April 1, 1868, they came to this county and settled on their present farm, consisting of 200 acres, valued at $40 per acre. Their children are - Edward and Ella (twins) born July 6, 1869; Ida M., May 12, 1871; Clara E., Dec. 13, 1872; Arthur E., May 21, 1876.

STOLT, C. F., dealer in boots and shoes, Commercial st.; was born in Germany in 1824. Married Mary Wieghlow in 1869. He emigrated to America in 1856; first settled in Williamsburg, N. Y., then moved to Milwaukee and Madison, Wis., then to Dubuque and Dunleith, and in 1866 came to this county.

STRAYER, G. W., farmer, Sec. 22; P. O. Hudson; born in Cambria Co., Penn., July 12, 1840; emigrated to Iowa and on his present farm in the Spring of 1869. He was married in November, 1862, to Miss Barbara Cain from Pennsylvania; she was born Aug. 7, 1843; they have five children - Elizabeth a., Joseph W., Lucinda E., Rebecca A. and Charles. Mr. S. has held the offices of Township Clerk one year, Township Trustee one year, School Director seven years, Treasurer of School Board four years. He is adding some fine improvements to his farm; he has just erected a barn, 45 x 111-1/2. The German Baptist Church is located on his land; i was built last season; it is 36 x 44; they are members of that church. Mr. S. has held the office of Director of the Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company for four years. He has 372 acres of land, valued at $30 per acre.

STRAYER, LEVI, farmer, Sec. 28; P. O. Hudson; born in Cambria Co., Penn., in 1844. He was married in 1862 to Miss Lavina Myers, from Somerset Co., Penn.; emigrated to Iowa and on his present farm in 1870; they have seven children - Sarah e., Alvin J., Emma E., Huldah S., Martha E., Cyrus T. and baby. He has 105 acres of land, valued at $3,000. He has held the offices of Township Assessor two years, School Director four years. In politics, Democratic. They are members of the German Baptist Church. His parents emigrated to the State at the same time. His father purchased the farm known as the Geo. f. War property - 400 acres. They all lived together for five years, when Levi purchased his farm of his father, and moved on to it. His father died in 1875.

STRONG, O., dealer in groceries, Main st.; was born in Madison Co., N. Y., April 5, 1823. Married Olivia Ellis; she was born in Genesee Co., N. Y. He moved to Livingston Co., N. Y., and to De Kalb Co., Ill., and to this county in June, 1872, when he commenced his present business. Mrs. Mary Jarvis and William C. are their children.

STRUBEL, CHARLES J., far., Sec. 4; P. O. Waterloo; born in Germany in 1830; emigrated to America in 1849, and settled in Bureau Co., Ill. Married Eva Fullin in 1856; she was born in Germany in 1833, and have eight children - Eva, Charles, Josephine, Fred, Adam, Christie, Annie and Willie. Came to this county in 1866 and settled on his present farm of 164 acres, valued at $35 per acre. Was Town Trustee three years. Are members of the Catholic Church.

ROBERT STUART

Somaneux was not the only white man who came to the Cedar Valley in 1837. Robert Stuart, an elderly man, said to have been a surveyor, spent the Summer of 1837 in the vicinity of the Falls, engaged in trading with the Indians. Stuart's testimony remains, that the Summer of 1837 was extremely wet. The river, according to his statement, having risen to higher water than it has ever reached since that time.

In 1855, Stuart was at Cedar Falls; while there an evangelist visited the place and held meetings in the school house every evening during the week, and announced three discourses on the Sabbath. He drew large audiences, and it was understood that a collection was to be taken up in his behalf, on Sunday afternoon. The house was crowded as usual; Bob Stuart, the pioneer of 1837, was among the audience; the sermon was long and Stuart got tired. He was near the door and determined to leave; he rose to his feet and deliberately marched up the aisle toward the preacher. Every eye was upon him, for he was over six feet high, gaunt, stoop-shouldered, grizzly, and dressed as a frontiersman; he halted at the desk, thrust his bony hand deep into his trousers, fished up a ten-cent piece, which he turned over on the Bible with a muscular slap, and exclaimed, "Here's my sheer!" turned on his heel and passed out of the door, leaving both preacher and congregation paralyzed with astonishment.

STUHLMILLER, JOHN, farmer, Sec. 17; P. O. Waterloo; born in Canada, July 28, 1858. Emigrated to this country, settling in Erie Co., N. Y., where he married Annie Kuhn July 5, 1861; she was born in Wurtemberg Aug. 9, 1838. In Nov., 1862, they emigrated to Black Hawk Tp., this county; in a short time to Waterloo, where he was the proprietor of the Pennsylvania House, and returned to Black Hawk Tp.; then to this township, settling on his present farm, consisting of 240 acres of land, valued at $30 per acre, Sept. 12, 1876. Margarett E., Charles W., Mary E., Julia C. and Louis G. are their children. Congregationalists in religion; in politics, Democratic.

WILLIAM STURGIS

First Permanent Settlement

The next visitors at this point were destined to make a more permanent location. In March, 1845, William Sturgis, a farmer from Michigan, and his wife, and Erasmus D. Adams, a cabinet maker from Ohio, then living in Johnson County, made a trip up the valley of the Red Cedar, in search of homes and a desirable water-power. Arrived at the point where Chambers had lived the previous year, they were charmed by the romantic beauty of the spot, and, with an eye to business, appreciating its adaptability for a town site in the future, they determined to remain and make claims. Mr. Sturgis claimed the north part of the present town of Cedar Falls, including the mill site, and Adams selected his claim farther south, near what is now called Dry Run.

Sturgis built a double log cabin on the bank of the river, and broke five acres of prairie. Adams built a cabin on his claim, about two miles from Mr. Hanna's, and also broke about five acres. This breaking by Sturgis and Adams was the first breaking done in Black Hawk County. " Adams soon returned to Iowa City," says George W. Hanna, the only settler of 1845 now living in the county. "Sturgis had some hands, and commenced getting out timber for a mill, but his family got sick, and he and his family went back to Iowa City again, leaving a Dutchman to work his claim, and not intending to return until other settlers came in. The man he left had a claim where Hon. Jeremiah Gay now lives (on Miller's Creek), and the creek took its name from him." To Mrs. Sturgis must be accorded the credit of being the pioneer white woman of Black Hawk County. "In the Fall," says Mr. Hanna, "Sturgis and his wife, and Adams, and his wife and his little boy John, came back and occupied the cabins they had built in the Spring previous."

The Chambers' cabin was yet standing as he had left it, but soon after Sturgis and Adams moved to their claims in the Fall, it singularly enough tumbled into the river. By what mysterious agency this result was produced is not known, but it is said that Sturgis had a theory upon which the phenomenon was to be explained; but he never, so far as is known, made the explanation.

When the mill was built and the town of Cedar Falls was laid out, Sturgis' cabin proved to be near the upper end of the race, at the foot of Washington street, where it remained until, a few years ago, it was removed to give place to a more permanent and graceful building.

SUNDERLIN, LETITIA, far., S. 5; P. O. Janesville, Bremer Co.; born in Cortland Co., N. Y., in 1821, and married William Sunderland in 1872; he was born in Chenango Co., N. Y., in 1808. Mrs. Sunderland's maiden name was Rohrabacher; her deceased husband had two children by his first marriage - James W., and Martin V. She came to this county, settling on their present farm, consisting of 76 acres, valued at $40 per acre, and where her husband died.

HENRY SUSSONG. CLARK & SUSONG, meat market;... The junior partner, Henry Sussong, was born in Wyoming Co., N. Y., in 1842; came to Washington Co., Wis., in 1847, with his parents, and to this county April 3, 1863. Dec. 3, 1863, enlisted in Co. D, 32d I. V. I., and was honorably discharged in June, 1866. Married Mina Young Nov. 14, 1866, in Washington Co., Wis., where she was born Sept. 20, 1846; their children are Charles and Eddy. Opened their place of business in this village in March, 1875.

SWEITZER, JONAS D., far., S. 31; P. O. Waterloo; born in Somerset Co., Penn., in 1839, and emigrated to this county in 1865, and married Lydia Lichty in 1868; they have three children - Clara, Emma and _____. Settled on his present estate the same year of his coming, consisting of 293 acres, valued at $35 per acre. Was one of the early settlers in this town and is well known throughout. Also are members of the German Baptist Church.