The Glover name is indisputably of Saxon origin, and was formerly spelled "Golofre", then "Glove" in the middle of the fourteenth century. Some of the oldest documents have been observed to be spelled "Glouver" a "u" instead of a "v" at the latter end of the word.
These families have been recorded in Buckinghamshire, Berkshire and Warwickshire, about the middle of the fourteenth century . Little if anything has been discovered of the Glover family prior to William the Conqueror's time, 1066, and prior to the survey of the estates, and the recording in the Tower of London during his reign. William dispatched the Heralds out to gather the Genealogies about 1087. An account of the Heralds' visitation is given in Fuller's Worthies, written about the fifteenth century or about the twelfth year of King Henry Sixth, as returned by the Commissioners, A.D. 1433.
According to the survey made in the following Counties, the name Glover is recorded thus:
Among the worthies of the County of Berkshire, Johannies Glover, Sheriff, in the 12th year of Henry VI, A.D. 1433.
Buckinghamshire, John Glover of Kimball; Bedfordshire, Robert Glover of Monceter, Gentleman, Martyred at Coventry, September 5th, 1555; Middlesex-Kent, about 1558.
Robert Glover, Somerset Herald, son of Thomas and Mildred, was born in Ashford, Kent, according to the epitaph on his monument. He died, not forty-six years of age, Anno 1588, and was buried without Cripplegate, London, St. Giles, on the south wall of the Choir.
The names John, William, Robert, Thomas, Richard and Henry are among the earliest Christian names of Glover, that have been noticed by writers. These names have been perpetuated, and have descended like their estate, through many generations, both in the Old and New England.
In 1423 there was a William Glover who is noticed thus: "Friefment of a Budge in the town of Stratford upon Avon, in the second of King Henry VI, being a conveyance of land to William Glover and others."
In 1469, William Glover, in Wiltshire, collected fifty shillings for the charities of that Church, during the week on which falls the Nativity of St. John the Baptist.
Of John Glover we have dates as follows from English records: 1446 - Mr. John Glover, incumbent at the Rectory of Sutton, in the County of Surrey as early as 1454, resigned 1466.
Records of 1416 to 1628: John Glover, Vicar of Dockin in Wiltshire in 1571. After the death of John Glover, Stephen Richmond succeeded to the Vicarage. He was Master of Arts, sometime one of the Fellows of Magdalen College, and became Vicar immediately after the death of John Glover, who died 1571.
1593, John Glover - Page 236, "Charities from County of Kent": Mr. John Glover of this parish gave by will for over, five shillings per annum for the poor, to be paid out of the lands to the Surveyors for the time being, towards mending the highways of the parish, which ands are now in the possession of Mathew Parker.
1685 - John Glover, at St. John's Church, Margate, County of Kent. This church was one of the Chapels belonging to the Church Ministry, in the Island of Thanet, and very probably began building as early as the year 1050. It is situated on the open sea at Margate in Kent.
A memorial to John Glover, a Gentleman, who died in London, 1685, at the age of 56 years, born in 1629. He had a wife Susanna whom he left a nephew. According to the following inscription underneath obit. Mrs. Susanna Glover, his wife, obit in 1713 at age 75; born therefore in 1638.
I the second volume of Stow's Survey of London, noting index, the following is found: John Glover, Church Warden in 1707, buried in St. James, Clerkinwell; and Ann Glover his wife, buried also 1689.
1551-2: John Glover, a patron, resigned Feb. 3, 1551 the Vicarage which is in the Deanery of Stook, County of Surrey. (Vol. 1)
Robert Glover the Martyr, who suffered martyrdom on Sept. 5th, 1555, noticed by Fuller in his "Worthies," had brothers John, William and Thomas and possessed in Monceter, Baxterly and other places in the County of Warwickshire.
John and Robert were married. The name of John's wife was Agnes; the name of Robert's wife was Mary. William was unmarried.
Thomas left Warwickshire and settled in Ashford, County of Kent, according to the testimony of some, and undoubtedly it is correct. His Coat-of-Arms refers him back to Warwickshire. Robert, the Somerset Herald, was probably nephew to the Martyr. He had several children, the names of two only had been given: Hugh, whom he named, it is said, after Hugh Lattimer, who was often a guest at the house of his brother, John Glover. And Edward, who succeeded him during Elizabeth's reign, to Baxterley House or estate.
We find the following in Fox's Acts and Monuments - Pages 814, 817, 819.
The persecution of Robert and his brothers John and William, in September 1555. To this month belongs the memorable Martyrdom of the Glover Gentlemen, in the Diocese of Litchfield and Coventry, in Warwickshire, England.
This Robert Glover had issue, Hugh Glover, who inherited those lands as cousin and heir to his uncle John Glover, in whose time they continued until "John Glover" descendant of said Hugh Glover, by deed dated July 22, 1704, sold the same to Thomas Strong, Esq. He by Sarah his wife, one of the daughters of Louis Agud Gregory of ____ Hall in the County, had one son living in 1788, also one daughter named Lucy.
Sir Thomas Glover purchased Franklin Estate, and he, with Mr. Wakeman took a fresh grant from the Crown in the reign of King James of England, and afterwards by deed, reserving to himself certain Memorial Rights over residue of the Manor.
THE GLOVERS OF MOUNT GLOVER,
COUNTY OF CORK, IRELAND
James Glover, Esquire, of Mount Glover, eldest surviving son of the late James Glover, Esq., by Mildred his wife, daughter of Robert Freeman, Esq. of Balling Gate Castle, is the representative of John Glover, Esq., who settled in Ireland in the middle of the 17th century.
ARMS: Sa. A Chev-Ern between three Crests, and Egal, displayed, arg, charger on the breast with three spots Ermites.
MOTTO: "No Timeo nec Sperno."
James succeeded to Mount Glover estate in a straight line. From Glover to his only son Edward, from Edward devolving on Thomas third son of Edward. From this last to James again, the present occupant who married in 1813. five generations.
OF RICHARD GLOVER: Here lieth the body of Richard Glover, Pewterer of London, who was twice married. He was one of the Common County Council of this City. His wives were Mary and Elizabeth. He died in 1615 at the age of 59 years.
This appears to be the earliest date of Richard Glover.
The next date, 1649, Richard Glover of Waldingham, Chelsham, Surrey, married and had children.
The next, taken from the Chapel at Chelsham, was Richard Glover, 1676a. He departed this life 1753 in the 77th year of his age.
Richard -- Yeoman of this parish, 1772.
Richard Glover -- of Croyden in Surrey, an eminent Attorney at Law, died January 22, 1766, aged 68 years.
Richard, an eminent Poet, Merchant, and Member of Parliament, was born at St. Martins Lane, Cannon Street, London, in 1712, and died there 1785. He was the seventh son of Richard, an eminent merchant in London. He was a brother of Phillip Glover who was a brother of Robert Glover, the Somerset Herald, and bore the same arms.
The Manor of Passmore or Passmere took its name from the Passmore family who settled there in the third year of King Henry's reign. It was sold to Mr. Pink and by him to Jonathan Nunn, Esq., of London, author of "Leonidas." This same Richard Glover, Poet, was in possession of it in 1788 and afterwards. Henry Glover of Worcestershire, presumably the above Henry, lived about the last of the Sixteenth Century; but there is no date in the old book from which the date was derived. He was probably the Henry who was in Lancashire in 1572, and married there about that time.
GLOVERS OF RAINHILL PARISH,
PRESCOTT, LANCASHIRE, ENGLAND
Rainhill Parish is situated in the County of Lancashire. It is situated in the western part of the County, and it is from here that John Glover under Governor Winthrop set sail for New England in 1630. The birth and parentage of the original Thomas Glover who married Marjory Dean, February 10th, 1554.... it is confidently believed they were led to the north during the days of the persecution and thereby lost sight of.
William, brother of Thomas, appears to have settled in London and became a merchant, according to the record of the early heraldry. It is not stated that he was a descendant of Robert, the Somerset Herald, whose parents were from Warwickshire.
Thomas had eleven children, Ellen being the first. John and Elizabeth, twins, died in 1599. John, born, and baptized August 12, 1600, became the father of the New England Glovers, and he may have become the first Sheriff of Boston, Massachusetts.
Having made an extensive study of the Glover's genealogy, I am of the opinion that the late Francis Glover of New Jersey, of whom three are several descendants, was the direct family connection of those who settled in Ontario. Also that he was a descendant of those who were spoken of in Hyde Park, Middlesex Co., England, and was also of the lineage of James Glover of Cork, Ireland.
A John Glover who fled from England, started the Tannery Pits in Boston near Bunker Hill.
Governor Winthrop (John Winthrop, Sr.) was appointed Governor of Massachusetts, October 20, 1630. He made the necessary adjustments in connection with his office, chief of which was the appointment of another of the numerous John Glovers to the Office of Sheriff of Boston. John Glover erected his dwelling of logs, at the head of the old Wharf which became of historic interest during the famous "Tea Party." This resulted in the beginning of the separation of the Colonies of the New World, from the Mother Country. The events which followed are all recorded in American and English history.
I have personally read the will of Sheriff John Glover, and also viewed the sketches of his home, and also some of the articles of general use in the home. Have read also some of the bequests set out in his will. He gave seventeen hundred and fifty dollars per year for ever to Harvard University.
It will be recalled there were some very trying times in the new city of Boston, which was the first in the New World -- North America.
History indicates there were wholesale persecutions, strikes and riots. Much of the soil about the new city was tide lands and swamp, a considerable part of which the Glovers acquired.
It is evident the people of that day sought peace, and many chose to begin life anew in other territory and regions beyond.
Morristown, New Jersey, a very good agricultural district, became one of the chosen locations. Morris County, New Jersey, soon began to be settled by Glovers and numerous other families, and from these settlements came many of the first settlers in Norfolk County. These included the Glovers, Culvers, Collvers, Beemers, Smiths, Severeigns, McCalls and others, the descendants of whom remain with us to the present time.
Francis Glover became one of the numerous Glovers who settled in the Morristown district, residing there with other members of the family.
When the war between the Colonies and the Mother Country began, James the oldest son of Francis, the oldest Loyalist soldier, came to Upper Canada as a young man. He settled in the vicinity of Grimsby below the mountain, and fought at the battle of Stoney Creek. When the war ended, he returned to Morristown district, and brought his widowed step-mother and the family to Grimsby. From here, the Glovers became settlers in various parts of the country. They figured conspicuously in the development of Norfolk County.
Several of the other men were soldiers, and became half-pay officers with Commissions granted them by Governor Simcoe. They were also given land grants with their Commissions. They became active in community life and were responsible for much of the early enterprise of the district.
Captain Charles Glover came from Grimsby to the London District in the early part of the 19th Century, and married Charlotte Dietchman. She was the only daughter of Colonel Dietchman, and following the death of her father, she long with her brother John, was adopted by Rev. Jabez Culver of Townsend. Colonel Dietchman was formerly a Colonel in the British Army, later living in Morristown, NJ, and evidently a close friend of Rev. Jabez Culver.
John Dietchman settled in Boston, Norfolk County, Townsend township, and may have given the name Boston to the village, which was located along the Brant Trail in the very early days in Norfolk.
The Boston Baptist Church and the Vittoria Baptist Church were both established in 1804, which made for the new settlements along that route.
Charles Glover settled in Forestville, Charlottesville Township, and James Glover settled near Round Plains, Windham township.
------ D.T. McCALL