Where Do I Begin on Land Research?
Look at this MAP to get a better idea of where your ancestors might have lived before the Creek Indian Lands were distributed by Land Lottery.
Think your ancestor may have been Native American? Visit the Upson County Native American Page
Visit Land Lotteries--an excellent site for additional information on the Land Lotteries of Georgia
Visit General Information Headright and Lottery Information. Creation of Georgia's Counties. Surveyor General Department. Georgia Bounty Land Grants. by Alex Hitz (1954). Georgia Militia Districts. by Alex Hitz (1956).
My ancestor is listed as receiving a Grant in the 1821 Lottery. Where is this land today? Where can I get a copy of the Grant?
Land Lottery of 1820
Third or 1820 Georgia Land Lottery
- If he was successful in the Lottery of 1820, and paid the $19.00 fee, he would have been issued a grant.
There is a list of all the men who took grants in The Early History of Upson County pg 61-92. This list also indicates where the person was when he drew!
- Upson County today, was part of TWO original Counties at the time of the Lottery, i.e. Monroe and Houston, and the list is made accordingly.
- 10th District, Monroe County (northen middle Upson County)
- 15th District, Monroe County (northwest Upson County)
- 1st District, Houston County (southeast Upson County)
- 16th District Houston County (southwest Upson County)
- 11th District Monroe County (northeast Upson County)
These grants can only be obtained from the Georgia Land Office in the State Archives.
Inquire at: Land Lotteries
This is an excellent site for additional information on the Land Lotteries of Georgia
The Grant provides the Land District and also the Land Lot Number. Once you know these, you can locate them on an Upson County map showing Land Districts.
The 1897 Map of Upson County (available for $3 plus $1 postage. Thomaston Library and Archives) indicates the GMD as well as the Land Districts and the individual Lots.
My ancestor is listed on the 1830 census for Upson County, but I can't find any Deed in Upson County?
There are several places to check.
- See above to determine if he was successful in the lottery, and IF he paid the fee and was issued a Grant.
- Check Pike County. For a few years (1822-1824), this land was in Pike County. See History of Land in Upson County
- Check the Land Lottery for 1827. Many residents of Upson County were successful in that drawing.
The list on page 93-122 The Early History of Upson County gives the Land District Number of each man on the list. In some instances these are GMD, the Military Districts using the Captain's name, i.e. Harrell's. See lists GMDs of Upson County.
- I don't understand some of the terms used in this deed?
Explanation of terms used in Deeds. You'll find this very helpful in reading the deeds you locate on your ancestors.
Other helpful pages about Upson County Land.
Defines GMD and Land Districts
Shows transition from Indian Lands
Upson County Page last updated:
|Back to the top| Upson Co Page
| GA USGenWeb State Page|USGenWeb Page