SITES WITH INFORMATION ON WARS (Know a better way to describe the listing, let me know) (Canada war timeline) (Civil War fighting
units) (CW Dakota
State) (Civil War, U of KY) (Civil War, LSU) (military history for
genealogy) (Military History Institute) (military libraries) (Society of the War of 1812)

Books on war of 1812:
War of 1812 Bounty Lands in Indiana
Roster of War of 1812
Index of War of 1812 pension files (3 vols.) White, Virgil D.
Mississippi Territory in War of 1812 by Rowland
Arkansas Military bounty Grants by Christensen
Index of Awards on Claims for War of 1812
Index to Prisoners of Was of 1812
Index to War of 1812 Service records by Kratovil
Frontier Claims in Lower South by Lackey
Frustrated Patriots: NC and the War of 1812 (1973) Sarah M. Lemmon
The War of 1812: A Forgotten Conflict by Donald R. Hickey
search for <war and 1812> and it got 54508 hits
a search for <"War of 1812"> and it got 38728 hits
The War of 1812, Chapter 6
Extracted from "American Military History," American Historical
Series Office of the Chief of Military History, U.S. Army

Personnel records for War 1812, Mexican War, Spanish American war are in National Archives. The National Archives Search Engine (NAIL) located following
National Archives Search Engine (NAIL)
There is a lot of information on the Rev. War at the following site:

Indexes to Compiled Service Records
Index to Compiled Service Records of Volunteer Soldiers Who Served During the War of 1812. Microfilm #M602. 234 rolls. 16mm. DP.
This microfilm publication reproduces an alphabetical card index to the compiled service records of volunteer soldiers who served during the War of 1812. Each index card gives the name of a soldier, his rank, and the unit or units in which he served. There are cross-references for names that
appear in the records under more than one spelling. The compiled service records to which the index applies are not on microfilm except for records of the Territory of Mississippi, M678.

This microfilm is available at any of the National Archives regional branches (for a directory see, The microfilm rolls can also be rented from Salt Lake City via your nearest LDS Family History Center (for a directory, see It can be found in their title/author catalog. Remember, that microfilm is an index only, and to volunteers, not
"regulars". To obtain War of 1812 military service and pension records by mail: Paper copies of War of 1812 military service and pension records can be ordered by mail using one NATF Form 80 for each soldier and each type of file. You can obtain the NATF Form 80 by providing your name and mailing
address to Be sure to specify "Form 80" and the number of forms you need. You can also obtain the NATF Form 80 by writing to: National Archives and Records Administration, Attn: NWDT1, 700 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20408-0001.




This page brought to you courtesy of

A Genealogical Cooperative, become a member of