Montgomery Grove/Tabor's Chapel
Colored Methodist Church was established in 1859. The land
for the Montgomery Grove Church site was donated by Mr. Cash Montgomery
and the church was located near the Madison-Franklin County line
on north Highway 106.
Pastors, Presiding Elders,
Stewards and Trustees to serve Montgomery Grove were as follows:
Penegrass was Pastor and Rev. White Presiding Elder
Stewards and Trustees were: Mr. Nathan Tabor, Mrs. Paul Scott,
Mr. Sam Jarrells and Mr. Press Mayfield
Rev. Stinson was Pastor and Rev. Hosley Presiding Elder
Elected to the Steward/Trustee Board were: Mr. Dock Daniels,
Mr. Bob Walker, Mr. Jones Hopkins and Mr. Billy Carruth
Rev. Carter was Pastor and Rev. Hosely Presiding Elder.
Elected Stewards/Trustees were: Mr. Tom Griffin, Mr. John Wilhite,
Mr. Abe Scorr and Mr. Will Williams
After forty years as Montgomery
Grove, the church site was moved to its present location in 1899
on land donated by Mr. Cape Tabor, and thus given the name Tabor's
Chapel Colored Methodist Episcopal Church. The following Pastors,
Presiding Elders, Stewards and Trustees have served the Tabor's
Joe Ellis was Pastor and Rev. Livingston Presiding Elder.
Steward and Trustee Boards remained teh same as the year before.
Chiles, Pastor and Rev. O. R. Jackson Presiding Elder.
Wadell, Pastor and Rev. Carter, Presiding Elder.
Elected to the Board of Stewards and Trustees were: Mr. Ben Brown,
Mr. Tom Hancock, Mr. Armenus Gunnells and Mr. Jim Tabor.
Rev. M. J. Jones, Pastor and Rev. Sanders and Rev. Gladen were
Presiding Elders. Mr. Will Tabor, Mr. George Jarrells, Mr.
and Mr. John Gunnells were elected to the Steward/Trustee Boards.
Rev. J. N. Bailey, Pastor, Rev. Gladen, Presiding Elder.
J. E. Murray, Pastor, Rev. Gladen, Presiding Elder.
Rev. Pitts, Pastor, Rev. Gladen, Presiding Elder.
Rev. Johnson, Pastor and Rev. Jenkins, Presiding Elder.
Rev. Wilcox, Pastor and Rev. Holloway, Presiding Elder.
Rev. McCaister, Pastor and Rev. Holloway, Presiding Elder.
Rev. Green, Pastor and Rev. Holloway, Presiding Elder.
Mr. Isaiah Williams, Mr. Walt McWhorter, Mr. Will Scott and
Mr. Joe Williams were elected to the Steward/Trustee Boards.
Rev. Wise, Pastor and Rev. Murray, Presiding Elder.
Tabor's Chapel burned to the
ground in 1934 and was rebuilt in 1935 by Mr. Dwayne McKeever and
Mr. Monroe Pinkston. Mr. Allen Smith, Mr. Young Scott, Mr.
James Bailey and Mr. Preston Williams were elected to the Steward/Trustee
Rev. S. S. Brewer, Pastor and Rev. Murray, Presiding Elder.
Mr. Phinez Bailey, Mr. Dan Gunnells and Mr. Calvin McWhorter were
elected to the Steward/Trustee Boards.
Rev. Wheeler was Pastor and Rev. Barnes, Presiding Elder.
Rev. Plummer was Pastor and Rev. Barnes, Presiding Elder.
Rev. Buggs was Pastor and Rev. Beckum, Presiding Elder.
Rev. Glaze, Pastor and Rev. Mackmas, Presiding Elder.
Counter, Pastor and Rev. Mackmas, Presiding Elder.
Mr. Claude Hancock, Mr. Henry Wilhite, Mr. Green Hancock and
Mr. Jimmy Bailey were elected to the Board of Stewards/Trustees.
Rev. McLaughlin, Pastor and Rev. Mackmas and Rev. J. H. Harris,
Rev. F. N. Rushin was Pastor and Rev. J. H. Harris, Presiding Elder.
During this time the top was taken off the church and raised higher.
Rev. David Horne was Pastor and Rev. J. H. Harris and Rev. Jay
were the Presiding Elders.
Rev. F. N. Rushin returned as Pastor, and Rev. Jay, Presiding Elder.
Rev. W. R. Jenkins was Pastor and Rev. L. W. Jay (brother to the
listed above) and Rev. L. R. Neal were Presiding Elders. Mr.
Scott, Mr. Frank D. Bailey, Mr. Carl Williams, Mr. Rotell Gunnells,
Mr. Conolus Scott, Sr., Mr. Lammie Jarrells, Mr. George Vinson and
Mr. Enos Bailey were elected to the Steward/Trustee Boards.
years Rev. T. J. Jackson served as Pastor and Rev. L. R. Neal,
Rev. Davis, Rev. McRae and Rev. J. H. Holloman as Presiding Elders.
At the time that Rev. Jackson
came to Tabor's Chapel as Pastor, the need for a new church was
very evident and the pastor and members began working toward that
goal. During the next few years, our dream of a new church
became a reality. In 1965 a new church was built. A
fellowship hall, new pews and central air were all included.
Some new additions were made to the church. The fellowship
hall was enlarged,
two additional bathrooms and a wheelchair ramp were added.
walls were insulated and finished with half paneling; restrooms
renovated and made handicap ready; new pulpit chairs added; pews
padded; new sound system with taping capability was installed; outer
of the church was restored and a new heating and air conditioning
installed. In February 1997, the fellowship hall was dedicated
in memory of
Mrs. Jennie V. Williams, our oldest member who lived to be 107 years
Church van was purchased; church parking lot paved and lined and
in the fellowship hall was replaced; new sign was added.
was placed online
and answering service added to the phone; first
annual golf tournament held. In November 2003, the A. G. Hardaway
Choir was dedicated in memory of our long time musician.
Tabor's Chapel was been spiritually
and prayerfully led by:
64 Stewards and Trustees
and an unknown number of Bishops