This house has been preserved due to efforts of the Albert Martin Family.
Albert Martin is a descendant of the Pioneer who built the 1830 frame dwelling.
- One of the first "organized" Bible Societies in the State of Georgia was the Dekalb County Bible Society. The DCBS was organized in 1826. - The honored Levi Willard, who recorded some early Dekalb history stated that the Society was formed for the purpose of supplying the destitute with a copy of the Holy Scriptures. The County was thoroughly queried all at one time to see if they owned Bibles - the society almost became extinct because some were opposed to this society because someone might be making $ for printing or selling the Bibles.
One of the oldest churches is the Decatur Methodist - date circa 1823-1826. It was incorporated with Dec. 14, 1830 - The following were trustees - Jesse P. Jones, Jeptha H. George; Robert Ward, Larkin Carlton and Drury Fowler. The Pastor in 1827 was Rev. Noah Knight. This church may be the actual first place of worship established in a building of worship in the County.
Presbyterian Church of Standing Peachtree:
- Interesting series of events - in 1826 a severe drought dried up all the streams in the county and since there was no water they had to grind their grain in the coffee mills, beat it in mortars and grate it. Joseph D. Shumate who was the son-in-law of J. McC. Montgomery (Squire of Standing Peachtree/Trustee of Poor Schools). Joseph was one of the founders of the church and was brought up for disciplinary action by the church for doing the grinding on Sunday as he was a Miller by trade. He was exonerated after he pleaded that he did it based upon the necessity of the people.
-The Reverend John S. Wilson, Partiarch of the Presbyterian Church in both Decatur and Atlanta, was born in Pendleton District, S. C., on January4, 1796 and died in Atlanta on March 27, 1873 from a stroke of paralysis. He had resided in Atlanta area since 1824, at which time he settled in Lawrenceville. From 1844 to 1859 he lived in Decatur, and for the remainder of his life in Atlanta - burial: Oakland Cemetery.
Prospect Methodist - the second church to be placed on Peachtree Road. After its organizers finalized the plans, the congregation built a split log building as the Church. The location being - North of Chamblee in Cross Keys District.
Chartered Members of this Church: John M. Ridling; Stephen Tilly and Ballinger Family.
Ensconced at the Old Prospect graveyard are John Ridling, Stephen, Ebenezer and J. W. F. Tilly, Jesse H. Adams, Asa Braswell, J. W. Buchanan, James S. Elliott, J. B. Davidson, George N. Flowers, Ewell C. Hardman, Samuel House, William McElroy, Joseph Stewart, Isham Stovall.
Mount Zion Methodist Church -
Educational Facilities of Old:
- The Dekalb County Academy --
established by and through a resolution of the General Assembly in 1823 but was not opened until 1825. The first principal of this establishment was the Reverend Alexander Kirkpatrick. Watson Kittredge served as the assistant, Kittredge came from Spencer, Massachusetts.
Pioneers of Dekalb
- Surveyor - Mr. James Diamond (He would receive $30 for surveying town lots in Decatur by an order that was passed on Jan. 7, 1826.
Justices of Peace in Dekalb County in 1829
James Donehoo 479th Militia District
Thomas Kennedy 479th Militia District
William Gresham 531st Militia District
Alexander Corry 531st Militia District
Moses Murphey 637th Militia District
Thomas Austin 637th Militia District
Charles C. Hickman 487th Militia District
John Tephenson 487th Militia District
Micajah Goodwin 524th Militia District
James Wofford 524th Militia District
James Hendley 563rd Militia District
James Diamond 563rd Militia District
Shadrach Farmer 572nd Militia District
James Word 572nd Militia District
William J. Cowan 683rd Militia District
Lemeul Dean 683rd Militia District
James H. Bell 686th Militia District
James W. Reeve 686th Militia District
Jesse Fulcher 722nd Militia District
John Beasley 722nd Militia District
Sylvanus Walker 530th Militia District
Samuel L. Wilson 530th Militia District
John Dabbs - 469th Militia District
Samuel Walker 469th Militia District
John Morris 536th Militia District
Thomas B. Lanier 536th Militia District
SEE MORE HISTORY
This page is a work in progress, more information will be added as time
permits - The history in this county is remarkable!
Return to DeKalb County GA
(C) through 2004 - Brenda Pierce
All Rights Reserved!