|Cherokee County History|
Created December 21 1830 and December 24 and 26, 1831, with a present area of 414 miles. This was an original county which was acquired by Cherokee cession of December 29, 1835.
When the county was formed it contained 6900 square miles which was at that time occupied by the Cherokee Indians, and was therefore given this name.
The county seat is located in Canton, Georgia. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1865 and 1928.
Link - Glimpses of Cherokee County