Since Fort McIntosh’s Organization in 1904,

our chapter has done some interesting things!

 

 

Chapter history

Fort McIntosh Chapter

National Society Daughters of the American Revolution

Beaver, Pennsylvania

The original 1904 charter members of Fort McIntosh Chapter: Miss Susan Deborah Darragh, organizing president; Mrs. Jessie Strafford Adams Anderson; Mrs. Susan Gilmore Blythe Withrow; Mrs. Lulu Anderson Chessroun Darragh; Mrs. Jessie Benton Hawkins Darragh; Miss Mary Hart Darragh; Mrs. Lucy Mygatt Mansfield; Miss Mary L. Mansfield; Mrs. Emma Weyand Reeves; Mrs. Martha Shafer Emery; Miss Olive Taylor, and Mrs. Mary Edna Cook Weyand.

 

The 1904 Fort McIntosh Charter is on permanent loan at the Beaver Area Historical Museum, Beaver, Pennsylvania.

 

While Mrs. H. C. Machesney was the regent of Fort McIntosh Chapter (1929 – 1932), she kept records and scrapbooks on activities of the chapter.    Some of those included……………..

 

* About November 1931 – there were 120 American Elm trees planted along Brodhead Road from the town of Monaca in Beaver County to the Allegheny County line.   This was done for the 200th birthday of George Washington.   There was a DAR marker placed on Brodhead Road for marking the planting of these trees.   (Today, this marker would be very close to the current North Branch Church.)

 

* Between 1929-1932

Parade grounds of old Fort McIntosh used to be what is now occupied by the court house in Beaver. The Fort McIntosh Chapter NSDAR was responsible for a tree planted to the left of the (old) main entrance of the court house  --- it was a propagation from the original “Washington Elm” of Cambridge, Massachusetts. (Washington took command of American army under that tree 7/3/1775.)  The SAR donated the stone and bronze marker that was placed under the tree.

 

* 1932

Fort McIntosh Chapter NSDAR was responsible for placing a marker at the site of Logstown.   They had a 15 ton Canadian granite boulder moved from near New Galilee (it was moved over 20 miles of Beaver County roads).   The boulder was deposited in its original place during glacial advance and is said to be the largest specimen in Beaver County.  The marker is on the property of AM Byers Company on the Baden-Ambridge Road.

 

* Mrs. Machesney also stated that Fort McIntosh Chapter NSDAR erected a monument in memory of “Mad” Anthony Wayne’s 1792 encampment at Legionville.   It was placed near the further end of the Legionville Bridge (located on the Lincoln Highway).

 

* In the 1970s

A time capsule was planted in the front of the court house.

 

 

 

Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR,

the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.