Martin County Genealogical Society's Daughters and Sons of
U.S. War of 1812 - 1818-1 Soldiers.
In Celebration of the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812:
here is the data base/responses of their soldiers.
Use the FIND feature of your web browser (under EDIT) to input keywords of interest.
Such as FAMILY names, names of BATTLES, names of STATES, names of PLACES, etc.
If you are interested in contacting a particular member, note the member's info and
then contact MCGS via E-mail:    A MCGS member will then reply via E-mail.
Josh Liller has a interest in 1812 and Civil War history. 
He is planning on giving talks in 2012 on the following subjects:

February 2012: Causes of The Civil War,
April 2012: Grant & Shiloh
May 2012: The Peninsular Campaign
June 2012:  The War of 1812
July 2012:  Antietam
[14 Sep 2018 note: In 2012, Josh was a history major at Indian River State College.]
From member: David E.

During the war of 1812-1818-1, the British went up the rivers on the east coast of Massachusetts and destroyed what they could. They also went up the Penobscot River (Bangor on its banks) in Maine. [Read about the Battle of Hampden on Wikipedia. Search Wikipedia and Battle of Hampden.]

Here is what happened in my hometown of Wareham, Plymouth Co., Mass. on June 9th thru 13th, 1814.

[Wareham is located in the NW corner of Buzzards Bay, which mostly separates Cape Cod from the rest of the state of Massachusetts. The Agawam River flows into Wareham and eventually makes it way into Buzzards Bay. (Use Google Maps with Wareham, Mass. as input).]

Previous to the war of 1812, commerce flourished and many vessels were built at the Narrows.
[The Narrows is likely that portion of the Agawam R. from Wareham south until it meets Buzz. Bay.] We had but one man in the regular army, Joseph Saunders, and he was killed at the battle of New Orleans (23 Dec 1814 – 8 Jan 1818-1).

Eleven (11) of our sloops were captured by the enemy, among them:---"The sloop Polly, Capt. Barrows, was taken on the 9th of June, 1814, off Westport (about 20 miles SW of Wareham). The Captain ransomed her for $200, and came home to get the money, leaving Moses Bumpus and James Miller with the British until his return."

The same day, the sloop Polly was re-taken by a party fitted out from Westport; but the two young men, Bumpus and Miller, had been taken on board the brig-of-war, Nimrod. And by their aid, as was supposed, in a few days, she run up the Bay to West's Island; here they landed, and took Samuel Besse on board for a pilot, as he says, by force, and compelled him to pilot the brig up the Bay. (West Island forms the southern edge of Nasketucker Bay, ~13 miles SWS of Wareham.)

On the next day, June 13th, she was seen by Ebenezer Bourne, about nine o'clock AM, off Mattapoisett (~8 miles SW of Wareham), standing up the Bay; and at ten, came to an anchor about four miles southerly of Bird Island Light; and immedi¬ately manned six barges, which formed a line, two abreast. Each barge had a large lateen sail, and was rowed by six oars, double manned, with a fair wind and strong flood tide, and steered for Wareham.

Bourne left his work, and ran to his boat, then lying at Crooked River, and sailed across to the lower end of the neck (Google Map shows a Bourne Cove), where he took land, and in twenty minutes from the time he left home, gave information to the Selectmen, then assembled on other business, in the lower house, at the Narrows village. He and they passed quickly through the village, giving the alarm to the citizens, until they arrived at the house of Benjamin Fearing, Esq.

Here the Selectmen ordered Maj. William Barrows to assemble the men and prepare their guns as fast as possible---then pass down the Narrows, and they would forward them ammunition as soon as it could be procured from the town stores, which were kept by Wadsworth Crocker, Esq. Bourue, upon his first arrival at Fearing's, meeting with a gentleman, upon a smart horse, bound towards Agawam, requested him to quicken his speed, and stop at the next public house, then kept by Capt. Israel Fearing, and tell him to call out his men, and proceed forthwith to the east side of the Narrows---this the stranger promised, and performed. (There is an Agawam Cemetery, located ~ 1 mile SES of Wareham.)

Maj. Barrows collected 12 men with arms, which he paraded; and the minister, Rev. Noble Everett, came from the Selectmen with a keg of powder, and balls. But while they were loading their guns, Wm. Fearing, Esq., and Jonathan Reed came to the Major, and told him to put his arms and ammunition out of sight, for they had made a treaty with the en¬emy, and had agreed to spare private property. The guns were hid under Capt. Jeremiah Bumpus' porch, and the keg of powder left near his house.

The British came to the turn of the channel---here set a white flag, and proceeded to the lower wharf, where the marines landed---being about 200 in number---paraded on the wharf, and set a sentinel upon the high land back of the village, with orders to let no citizen pass from the village;---and about this time, Fearing and Reed approached the enemy with a white handkerchief upon a cane, and made the treaty aforesaid.

The enemy then marched up the street, detaching sentries upon the high land, at convenient distances, until they arrived at the Cotton Factory. This, they set on fire by shooting a Congreve rocket into a post in the middle of the first story, and returned, taking the arms and powder at Capt. Bumpus' house, and threatened to burn the house, if the town stores were not surrendered, which they thought were there.

"About this time, four schooners belonging to Falmouth, and one belonging to Plymouth, which had put into this port, for safety, were set on fire by the men left with the barges;—these, and the Factory, as they asserted, not being private property. As they passed up, they called at Wm. Fearing's store, took something to drink, and went into his kitchen, took a brand of fire, and proceeded to his ship-yard, immediately in front of his house, and here set fire to a new brig, nearly finished, upon the stocks, belonging to said Fearing, he remonstrating and reminding them of their treaty, but they asserting that she was built for a privateer, put her well on fire, so that she burnt to ashes.

They fired also a ship and brig lying at the wharf, and five sloops, all of which, as well as the Cotton Factory, were put out. Six vessels were not set on fire. They next took twelve men as hostages, to prevent our citizens from firing upon them---and hoisting a white flag, and saying if a gun was fired the hostages would be massacred, embarked, having tarried on shore about two hours.

About this time, Capt. Israel Fearing assembled 12 men on the opposite side of the Narrows, and showed fight. One of the barges dropped over that way, and the Narrows citizens begged him not to fire, as a treaty had been made and hostages taken to insure its performance---whereupon he fell back, to watch their further movements, kept his men assembled, but, as the hostages were not given up until they passed below him, he did not fire, and the enemy departed in peace, landing our citizens on Cromesett Point. (Cromesett Point is about 2.2 miles SW of Wareham, where Buzzards Bay meets the Narrows.)

The barges formed a line, fired a Congreve rocket into the air, fired a swivel from the bow of each barge, gave three cheers, and proceeded leisurely to the brig; landed Besse upon West's Island, and the young men at North Falmouth. Besse was taken up and examined before a magistrate, in New Bedford, and acquitted.

Miller and Bumpus were examined and committed to prison for further examination and trial; and after being imprisoned about three months, were acquitted, and both shipped on board of a privateer, where Bumpus was killed, and Miller lost a leg by a cannon ball. The whole damage done by the expedition as estimated at the time, was $25,000.

“The first settled minister was Rowland Thatcher, ordained in 1740, died 1773. His successors have been Josiah Cotton, 1774; Noble Everett, 1784-.1820; Daniel Hemmenway, 1821-1828; Samuel Nott, ordained 1829; Homer Barrows, and Rev. T. F. Clary, present pastor.”