RootsWeb is funded and supported by
Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community.
About Us | Contact Us | Copyright | Report Inappropriate Material
Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions | CCPA Notice at Collection
|[ Home | New | Search | Guide | Counties | Surnames | Music | Site Map | Links | Exit Frames ||
- Some IMPORTANT BASICS
A few moments reading will put you in touch with much! IMPORTANT!
- Alphabet Soup! making sense of intials and other tips :)
The abbreviations you'll find, and much more! Naming patterns, cousins, etc.
- FAQ for the FIANNA pages of help with ICQ, Newsgroups, Citing your work, dealing with viruses and spam.
- An Irish Timeline and History Center
Opens the door to many articles about the importance of history
in causing our ancestors to leave Ireland.
- The Ceide Fields, a prehistoric wonder
- Ireland in the New Stone Age
- Ireland in the Bronze Age
- The Complete Milesian Genealogies
- Epidemics in USA, c.1700-1920 and some world-wide ones. Why did they emigrate?
- The first of several pages about the 1798 Rebellion in Wexford County
- The Easter Rising of 1916 includes its own PHOTO tour!
- A PHOTO tour of Dublin
- Understanding The Administrative Divisions In Ireland WITH Links to MAPS !!
- More MAPS !
- Irish Townland Maps at FHC's
- Northern Ireland - Land and Products and some good URL's
- Stone Age Ireland - Ceide Fields, Co Mayo
(More areas coming soon)
It's important (and fun!) to know about the "old sod"!
- Military Records Remember the British Army!
- THE COUNTIES - Almost 200 pages here!
- Addresses for Agencies
Where to write for what - a most important thing to know!
- The counties and help with them
Each county has a page full of addresses, URL's, and often LOTS more! Plus several other pages of information.
- And help in Searching Churches with several additional pages!
SOME SPECIAL COUNTIES (in addition to the above)
- County Antrim Details! by MathAce
- County Cork Helps, a links page by "Irish"
- A list of parish registers at the Maritime Museum
- Censuses and Census Substitutes Several pages here:
An explanation of the WHOLE thing!! And help finding things!
Plus each county has some census substitute data!
VITAL RECORDS - Birth, Death, Marriages
- Vital Statistics Records
- Using LDS Family History Centers in searching Vital Records
- LDS Film numbers for BDM Index
- Get the SLC publication,'Research Outline,Ireland' which they first published in 1993. The catalog reference is FILE:BRIT-IRE and it has a numeric reference of 02347-17000 , or 34717. This guide details how the various films are recorded and it very helpful when negotiating the data base. It's cost was about $1.50.
- TRANSCRIPTIONS donated to us NEW! NEW!
- Special Help for researching "Scotch-Irish"
- Workhouses and their records
- Cemetaries and Obits
Migrations SHIP LISTS - PASSENGER LISTS!In 1846, the ship fare from Ireland to Quebec was about 6 pounds for a man, his wife, and 4 children. The fare to NY was about 21 pounds. (source: Magnus Magnusson, 1978. Landlord or Tenant?: A View of Irish History)
- Passenger Lists - An Introduction
- More about Passenger Lists
- Passports and Registers of Assistance
- LDS Records on Migration
IRISH TO AUSTRALIA
- Irish Convicts Transported to Australia
IRISH TO CANADA
- Ireland to Canada Migrations
- Important Addresses in Canada
IRISH TO USA
- Passenger Lists 1700-1800
- Ports of Entry to US
- Details about National Archive Ships Lists
- Naturalization papers
- Location of Naturalization Papers in some USA states
- Using and Citing Records from Federal (USA) Sources
MORE Resources !!
- Using the LDS Family History Centers (FHC's)
- Libraries and Archives - and using them!
- Book list
- Periodicals etc.
- Getting the MOST out of Newspapers!
LOOKUP - Where to get EXTRA help
- Preserving Photos and Newspapers, and getting information from them
- Help with Surname Searches
- Your Trip to Ireland!
- Brick walls, helpful hints and/or pitfalls to avoid!
Join the FIANNA mailing list from Rootsweb
- Turn off any automatic signature.
- Address an email to [email protected] Notice the word "request"
To get the digest instead, change the L to D
- leave the subject blank and put ONLY the word SUBSCRIBE in the body (message)
- send the email and begin to receive low-volume, high quality material!
- A STEP-BY-STEP TUTORIAL !!
Irish Research A-Z
- And another: Read it, even if you're not searching in Co Clare!
- Searching For Irish Records with County Clare Data
- Some information on England, Wales, Scotland, and
Australia/New Zealand, Canada and the USA and how to research there!
How They Lived
- The Kitchen, what they ate
- More to come!
- echos' wonderful pages including:
- An Irish Page
- Some LDS Microfilm Numbers - Irish Wills
- Scottish Undertakers 1010-1620
- A Welsh Page from echo
- Wild Irish Roves
Now part of the FIANNA site! Culture, History, Music, Language, Heraldry
- Rootsweb - Wonderful things!
- The Groups and Logs - Archives
Search this site!