[THE LINKS ON THIS PAGE OPEN A NEW BROWSER PAGE.
Just close that window to return here!]
Heritage World, The Heritage Centre, 26 Market Square, Dungannon, Co.
Bell: The Journal of the Stewartstown and District Local History Society
Mrs. J. Laverty, Castle Farm, Stewartstown, Co. Tyrone
Duiche Neill: Journal of the O'Neill County Historical Society (annual)
Mr. J.A. Downey, Woodhouse, Gort. Brantry Dungannon, Co. Tyrone
Clogher Record (annual), Mrs. M. O'Neill, Registrar,
Clogher Historical Society, 15 Glenview Heights, Monaghan
The Clogher Historical Society New Millennium Project is a non-profit
historical research project based at St. Macartan's College, Monaghan.
The Society is trying to trace all of the genealogical work being done on
families who originated in the Diocese of Clogher, covering Monaghan,
Fermanagh, and south Tyrone.
Some Articles from the Clougher Record
County Tyrone On Line
Co Tyrone Data
Co Tyrone 1911 Census FHLC numbers
Co Tyrone Roman Catholic Records
Tyrone Data - Genuki
Co Tyrone IGW
Mailing List: COTYRONEIRELAND-L@rootsweb.com
Co Tyrone, Sweet Irish Rogues
Northern Ireland References
The web site for the
Scotch-Irish-L mail list from Rootsweb.
NIR - County Tyrone
Tyrone Parishes & Unions
Ulster American Folk Park
Baptism Records 1850-1880
Tyrone Family Heritage Centre computerizing parish records.
Provides search service for a fee.
See TIARA for customer comments.
Bits and Pieces
TYRONE, ti-ron', an inland county of Ireland, in Ulster, having N. the co.
of Londonderry, E. Armagh, S. Monaghan, and W. Donegal. Area 1260 sq.
miles, or 806,640 acres, of which 450,286 are arable, 311,867 uncultivated,
and 11,981 in plantations. Pop. 255,819. Surface hilly and ill wooded,
rising into mountains in the N. and S. Principal rivers, the Blackwater
and Foyle, with their tributaries. Lough Neagh forms part of the E.
boundary. Soil in the lower districts fertile, but agriculture generally
very backward. Principal crops, potatoes and oats, with a little barley,
flax, and clover. A considerable quantity of good coal is raised. The
principal manufactures are those of linens, coarse woolens, blankets,
whisky, beer, flour, meal, and coarse earthenwares. The Enniskillen and
Londonderry Railway intersects the county; and the navigation of the Tyrone
Canal is wholly within its E. district. Principal towns, Strabane,
Dungannon, Cookstown, and Omagh. Tyrone sends two members to the House of
Commons. The O'Neils were kings in Ireland antecedent to Christianity, and
were chiefs of Tyrone when the memorable rebellion of 1597 broke out under
STRABANE, stra ban', a municipal borough and market town town of Ireland,
in Ulster, co. of Tyrone, on the Mourne, here crossed by a bridge, and near
its confluence with the Finn and Foyle, immediately opposite Lifford. Pop.
in 1851, 4896. Its trade is facilitated by a canal extending from it to
where the Foyle becomes navigable for barges of 40 tons. Adjoining the
town is a salmon fishery.
DUNGANNON, dun gan' non, a parliamentary and municipal borough and
market-town of Ireland, in Ulster, co. of Tyrone, 11 miles N.N.W. of
Armagh. Pop. 3801. It stands on a hill-slope, consists of an old and a
new town, is regularly and pretty well built, and has a good church, an
endowed royal school, founded in 1628, fever hospital, several branch
banks, and manufactures of linen and earthenware. The borough sends one
member to the House of Commons. Dungannon was the chief seat of the
O'Neils, Kings of Ulster from the earliest period of Irish history till
1607, when the last of these powerful chieftans fled to the Continent, and
his possessios were granted by James I, to Arthur Chichester.
COOKS' TOWN, an inland town of Ireland, in Ulster, co. of Tyrone, on the
Ballinderry, 5 miles W.N.W. of Stewartstown. Pop. 3006. It has a large
Gothic church, a court-house, union work-house, bank, market-house, and
OMAGH, o ma', a market town of Ireland, Ulster, capital of the county of
Tyrone, 27 miles S. of Londonderry. Pop. in 1851, 3016. It is on a steep
declivity, and mostly well built and clean. It has the remains of an old
castle, which gave name to the town, an elegant county court-house of
Grecian architecture, county jail, barracks, workhouse, fever hospital,
with a flourishing linen, corn and general trade. The town was destroyed
by fire in 1689, and again in 1743.
LIPPINCOTT'S PRONOUNCING GAZETTEER, Philadelphia, 1856.
Back to the counties page or
© 1997-2000 Fianna Webmaster Team
Last modified Monday, 10-Sep-2018 17:03:14 MDT
This page hosted by Rootsweb