Monumental Inscriptions

Bisley Monumental Inscriptions

Home page

Although burials have taken place at Bisley church from at least as early as the 13th century, very few monumental inscriptions survive from any earlier than the late 1800's. The main reason for this is that north-west Surrey has almost no local stone to be quarried. Any stone therefore had to be transported from elsewhere and was correspondingly expensive. Only the rich would have stone grave markers - the majority of graves would be either unmarked or have wooden grave-boards, long since lost. In 1892, the Reverend Joseph Cater, Rector of Bisley, wrote "a large majority of those interred here have nothing beyond a green mound of earth to mark the spot where their bones are at rest.  The prevailing fashion... a few years ago was to put over the grave a wooden erection, consisting of an upright at the head and foot, with a board about 6 to 8 inches wide connecting them, which bore the inscription."

In 1814 there was only one Monumental Inscription inside the church - that of Isabella Champion who died in 1506 (click box for translation) - unfortunately by 1890 this had been totally removed.
Hic tumulata jacent Isabell´┐Ż Champion ossa,
Ossa deaurato marmore digna tegi.
Ecclesiam hane prato donavit nomine Brachmead,
Sanctæ et Catholicæ Religionis opus.
Et moriens dixit, conanti infringere donum
Cœlestis vitae portio nulla cadat !


A list of Bisley men who served in the Great War 1914-1918
War memorial at Bisley Green
Churchyard memorialsUpdated