Union Bank of London
UNION BANK OF LONDON IN SURREY
The Union Bank of London was started in 1839 with a head office in Princes Street opposite the Bank of England. In 1882 the bank became a limited liability company.
The bank grew by amalgamation and acquisition - amongst those taken over was the Croydon bank of Chasemore, Robinson
& Sons, in 1891. Other Surrey branches were opened at
Croydon, Purley and South Norwood.
Cheques issued by Union Bank of London
After joining with the old London bank of Smith, Payne and Smith, in 1902, it traded as the Union of London and Smiths Bank Ltd., until 1918 when it was taken over by the National Provincial Bank
Cheque issued by Union of London & Smiths Bank
Surrey branches (pre-1900): Croydon, South Norwood