National Provincial Bank
NATIONAL PROVINCIAL BANK IN SURREY
The National Provincial Bank of England was started in 1833. Until 1866 the bank issued its own £5 and £10 notes.
In 1880 the bank became a limited liability company.
Cheque issued by National Provincial Bank, bespoke for W & N Products Ltd
In 1918 it took over the Union of London and Smith’s Bank and became the National Provincial
& Union Bank of England Ltd. This name was simplified in 1924 to the National Provincial Bank Ltd.
In 1968, the bank merged with the Westminster bank to form the National Westminster Bank (NatWest) of today’s high streets.
Surrey Branches (pre-1900): Putney, Staines, Stanmore, Sunbury