London & SW Bank
LONDON & SOUTH WESTERN BANK IN SURREY
The bank was founded in 1862, although it did not start operating until July 1863. In its first decade, the bank struggled and reduced its branches from
twelve in 1863 to just four in 1873.
A change of management and a new policy of developing business in the London suburbs proved a success however. In 1917,
having taken over the London & Provincial Bank, the bank became the London, Provincial & South Western Bank Ltd., until taken over by Barclays the following year.
The bank had nearly thirty branches in north Surrey by 1900.
Cheque issued by London &
South Western Bank (note cheque stamp duty of 1d)
Two cheques issued by Barclays Bank shortly after it took over (stamp duty
increased from 1d to 2d in 1918 - it was abolished on 1st Feb 1971)
Surrey branches (pre-1900): Anerley, Balham, Barnes, Brixton, Croydon, Dulwich,
East Dulwich, East Molesey, Kingston-upon-Thames, Mortlake, New Malden,
Norbiton, Norbury, Norwood, Peckham, Putney, Richmond, South Norwood, Streatham,
Streatham Common, Sutton, Tooting, Tulse Hill, Wallington, Wandsworth,
Walton-on-Thames, West Norwood, Wimbledon, Woking