Hampshire Banking Co
HAMPSHIRE BANKING COMPANY IN SURREY
The Hampshire Banking Company started in 1834. In 1877 it changed its name to
the Hampshire and North Wilts Banking Company.
Cheque issued by Dorking branch of the Hampshire Banking Company. Somebody is still using an old cheque book as the name had changed the year before.
This cheque is quite rare as the bank only had this name for a year, before becoming Capital & Counties.
In 1878 the bank became the Capital & Counties Bank and in 1880, Capital &
Counties Bank Ltd. As Capital & Counties, the bank took over the businesses of Haydon & Smallpiece of Guildford (1883), James Knight and Sons of Farnham
(1886), and Mellersh & Co. of Godalming (1893). The bank eventually had branches throughout Surrey.
Cheque issued by
Guildford branch of Capital and Counties Bank. No acknowledgement made of heritage of Haydon's bank.
In 1918 Capital & Counties was taken over by Lloyds Bank.
Surrey branches (pre-1900): Ashtead, Bramley, Byfleet, Chiddingfold, Cranleigh,
Dorking, Epsom, Farnham, Godalming, Great Bookham, Guildford, Haslemere,
Hindhead, Horley, Leatherhead, Milford, Redhill, Reigate, Ripley, St Johns,
Shere, Westcott, Woking (all as Capital & Counties, Dorking also as Hampshire