Grimsby Poor Law Union
- Before the Poor Law Reform Act of 1834, Grimsby had a "House of Industry", said to have stood in Albert Terrace, Grimsby.
- After 1836, Grimsby was part of the Caistor Poor Law Union, until 1890.
- In 1890, population increases in the area led to to the formation of a separate Grimsby Poor Law Union. A workhouse and infirmary for the new Union were built on the west side of Scartho Road, south of Grimsby. The address was 100 Scartho Road.
- The Board of Guardians met on alternate Mondays at the Workhouse.
- The new buildings were opened on 9th October 1894.
- In 1929, the facility was put to new use and renamed The Scartho Road Institution. After passage of the National Health Act in 1948, it became a general hospital. For many years it was known as Grimsby District General Hospital. Following construction of the Princess of Wales' hospital to the south of the site, a number of the former workhouse buildings have been demolished or stand empty. Others are still used for administrative or ancillary services.
- The North East Lincolnshire Archives in Grimsby has the Grimsby Poor Law Union Master's report books (1919-29); Births (1895-1903, 1914-53); Deaths (1894-56); Creed registers (1910-51); etc.
- For more on what the LFHS and the Lincoln Archives have on Lincolnshire Poor Law records, see our Poorhouses page.
- For more on researching Poor Law records, see our Poor Law records list.
Fiona Poulton provides this list of Births from the 1895-1903 registers - these are Surnames only:
Surnames of Parents/Mother
Monk alias Evison
- 1900: William SOUTHWARK, Chairman of the Board of Guardians; John Fildes WINTRINGHAM, clerk, Arthur Henry Leslie MELVILLE, treasurer; John William CAWCUTT, workhouse master; Mrs. Jan CAWCUTT, matron, Algernon WESTLAKE, medical officer. Relieving officers: John Robert APPLEBY, Fred SKELTON.
- 1913: William SOUTHWARK, Chairman of the Board of Guardians, John Fildes WINTERINGHAM, clerk, Arthur Henry Leslie MELVILLE, treasurer, Arthur Reyner WILLIAMS, workhouse master, Mrs. Edith Maud WILLIAMS, matron, Algernon WESTLAKE, medical officer. Relieving officers: John Robert APPLEBY, G. J. EASTERBROOK, Fred SKELTON.
- "A Nostalgic Recollection of Scartho Road Institution," Sadie BEAL (1983).
Last updated on 29-April-2015
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.
© 2003 EnglandGenWeb Project