Map of the Parish of HarlingtonHAYES (or HEESE) is a parish and village, in the hundred of Elthorne and Uxbridge union, county court district and rural deanery, including the hamlet of Yeading on the north side, and Botwell on the south, 3½ miles from Uxbridge, and 11½ from Oxford-street. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an ancient building, in the Early English style, with portions of Norman: the altar-piece is fine, representing the Adoration of the Shepherds; and there is a curious font, also sedilia and brasses. The parish register dates from 1557. The living is a rectory, annual value about £700, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Wil1iam Randall, M.A., of Trinity College, Dublin. There are National schools, with residence for master, a newly erected brick building in the Modern style. The charities, in 1823, amounted to £380 per annum, £300 of which consisted of Triplett's charity, for apprenticing in this parish, and in Petersham and Richmond; the founder also left funds fur exhibitions to scholars of Westminster known by his name. There are appointments for an old man and woman to Emanuel Hospital, in St. Margaret's, Westminster, and for a boy and girl to the school there from this parish, bestowed by Lady Dacre. The Great Western Railway passes through the southern part of the parish, and the Paddington Canal diverges from the Grand Junction into the south part of the same, and crosses the road between the village and Southall, and thence proceeds to the north of Greenford, Perivale, and Twyford, to Kensal Green and Paddington. Hayes was given in 830 to the church of Canterbury, and the manor-house was often a residence of the archbishops. Charles Mills; Esq., is lord of the manor. There is an Independent chapel. Wood End House, a first class mansion, pleasantly situated, is a private lunatic asylum, belonging to Dr. George James Stilwell, of Moorcroft House, Hi1lingdon: this establishment is exclusively for females of the higher class, and under the superintendence of Mrs. Fenton. Hayes Park Asylum is a fine mansion, in a well wooded park, for the reception of lunatics of both sexes, of the middle and higher ranks of society; Edward Benbow Esq., is the proprietor. The parish contains 5,670 acres. The total population in 1851 was returned at 2,076, and in 1861 at 2,650.

WOOD END GREEN is a large hamlet, mile and & quarter south of the railway station.

YEADING (or Yedding, anciently Yielding) is a hamlet of Hayes, in Elthorne hundred, on the Yeading brook, three¬-quarters of a mile north of the Uxbridge road, near the Paddington Canal, 11½ miles from London, and 2 north from Southall station. In 1307 Yeading belonged to Walter Langton, Bishop of Lichfield.

BOTWELL, half a mile south is a hamlet.

Parish Clerk, George Lamb.

From the Post Office Directory Middlesex 1866 published by CD Archive Books


The parish church of St Mary's, Hayes:

The Parish Church of St. Marys, Hayes


Parish Registers held for St. Mary’s, Hayes at London Metropolitan Archive:

Copies at the Society of Genealogists:

Copies at Hillingdon Local Studies Library, Uxbridge (transcripts):

International Genealogical Index

Vital Records Index

Monumental Inscriptions:



Return to Home Page

© Hillingdon FHS
Last updated 30 August 2006
Valid XHTML 1.1! Valid CSS!