Shipton Moyne Parish Church



St. John the Baptist's Church
Photos by John Wilkes of Cam near Dursley, Gloucestershire
The Gloucestershire Photo Library:

Page composition by Allan Taylor of Vancouver, Canada
http://www.allthecotswolds.com

More photos of St. John the Baptist's

St. John the Baptist's was rebuilt in 1864-65 by T.H. Wyatt for T.H.S. Sotherton Escourt. The church has a 19th Century south-west tower in the late 13th Century style, with bands of sandstone, and a tall octagonal south-east stair-turret and spirelet. The blunt parapet is pierced with quatrefoils. Wyatt's chancel is High Victorian. The font is square with much coloured marble. There is stained glass in the church, the east window by Lavers & Barraud, 1865; north chancel window by Clayton & Bell, 1875; south-west chancel window by Bryans & Webb, 1905; north transept north window by Ward & Hughes, 1886; and west window by W.G. Taylor, 1877. In the Estcourt Chapel there is an Elizabethan Renaissance painted stone monument with the recumbent effigies of Judge Thomas Escourt, who sied in 1599, and his wife. They rest on a tomb chest with the figures of their nine children, all kneeling frontally, displayed on two sides. Above them, raised on six composite columns, is a great canopy with caryatids and heraldry, set against strapwork. The neighbouring monument to Sir Thomas Escourt, who died in 1624, and his wife Mary is more sophisticated. It is a tall alabaster tom-chest with a canopy with broken segmental pediment and heraldry, supported on Coriinthian columns. This monument was moved here from Lasborough in 1825. In the south aisle there is a monument to the Thomas Escourt that died in 1746. It is a large standing classical monument, of coloured marbles, with attached Ionic columns and heraldry in a Rococo cartouche.