St. Peter's was rebuilt by Henry Woodyer in 1870, twenty years after his great church in the next-door parish of Highnam. The church exemplifies Woodyer's considerable genius. The window heads without dripmoulds are carved out of polygonal chunks of freestone. The roof has scissor wind-braces. The 15th Century font is in the Perpendicular style with a panelled and buttressed octagonal stem. There is stained glass in the church by Clayton & Bell.
RETURN TO MONTAGE INDEX