Hall, the seat of Walter Ambrose Heath Harding esq. M.A., F.L.S.
is a large Elizabethan mansion. standing in a park of 300 acres:
adjoining the hall is a fine stone gateway leading to the courtyard:
King Edward VII. occupied this house during the time he was an
undergraduate of Cambridge University"
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
Hall was built by Sir John Hynde in 1543 and occupied by his descendants
until the 1860s. In 1860 the Hall was rented by Queen Victoria
as a residence for the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII)
while he was an undergraduate at the University. In 1871 the Hall
was sold out of the original family to Mr Henry Hurrell who subsequently
sold it to Colonel T Walter Harding in 1905. Colonel Harding completely
renovated the Hall and ownership passed to his heirs who sold
the Hall and its surrounding park and farmland to the University
of Cambridge in 1948.
church of St. Mary Magdalene: restored in 1885. and standing in
the park, is a small building of stone, chiefly in the Early Decorated
style, and consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays,
north aisle and an embattled western tower and spire containing
2 bells; in 1927 the tower and spire were rebuilt at a cost of
£2,000, defrayed by the Harding family: the chancel is Early English,
rebuilt in 1877, but the chancel arch and the nave arcading are
Decorated a very finely moulded arch, acutely pointed, opens into
the tower: there is a good Norman font, brought here from the
now destroyed church of St. Etheldreda, Histon: a new organ was
provided in 1908 by Col. Harding: there are 150 sittings. The
register dates from the year 1539."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]