Cambridgeshire, EnglandGenWeb Project - Ancestors - Frederick ARCHER

Frederick J. ARCHER (1857-1886)

The following details concern the marriage and death of the jockey Frederick J. ARCHER plus the death of his wife Nellie. These are covered in Newspaper Cuttings which themselves split into sections.

Newspaper cutting

3rd February 1883


  • Editorial

  • Marriage
  • Newspaper cutting

    15th November 1884


  • Death of Nellie Archer

  • Funeral of Nellie Archer
  • Newspaper cutting

    13th November 1886


  • Death

  • Full details

  • The Inquest

  • Biographical Sketch

  • His Professional Career

  • Archer's Chief Victories
  • Newspaper cutting

    20th November 1886


  • Funeral of Frederick J. Archer

  • The Funeral Sermon


    Newspaper Cuttings (Newmarket Journal) 13/11/1886:

    Announcements of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, when sent to us must always be authenticated by the name and address of the sender, or they will not be inserted.



    ARCHER -

    November 8, at Falmouth House, Newmarket, Frederick James Archer, jockey, aged 29 years.

    Sad Death of Frederick J. Archer.

    Full Details.

    On Monday afternoon a profound sensation of horrified surprise was caused throughout this town and neighbourhood by the startling intelligence that Fred Archer, the popular jockey, had committed suicide by shooting himself at his residence, Falmouth House, where it was known he had been lying ill for some days. At first the rumour was discredited, but when enquiry had proved it to be only too true, and some of the distressing details of the tragic occurrence became known, the news spread like wildfire and furnished an absorbing topic for discussion and comment on all sides. As was to be expected in such a case various versions of the painful affair soon gained currency, many of them being merely founded on supposition, though strange to say some of them were of sufficiently harrowing a nature as to equal the shocking truth.

    To give a concise narrative of the sad affair it is necessary to go back several days. When Archer left Newmarket for Brighton on Monday week he seemed to be in his usual health and spirits, and again on Tuesday, when he rode Cambusmore in the Autumn Handicap. At Lewes on Thursday, however, he appeared dispirited and unwell, especially after riding Lucretius in the Rothschild Plate. He subsequently rode Tommy Tittlemouse in the Castle Plate, when that horse started a warm favourite, but finished very badly. This was his last mount. Immediately the race was over he went to Mr Gurry and said he felt very unwell, and intended going home at once. He asked that gentleman to accompany him, and he kindly consented. On reaching Newmarket he went home, but although feeling unwell did not send for medical aid. On Friday his case became so serious that it was thought expedient to call in Dr. Wright, who considered it necessary to have further advice, and Dr. Latham, of Cambridge, joined the local practitioner in consultation. The symptoms became more alarming, and on Sunday the following bulletin was issued: - "Falmouth House, November 6, 1886, 6 p.m. Mr F. Archer has returned home suffering from the effects of a serious chill, followed by a high fever. - Signed, P.W. Latham and J.R. Wright."

    On Monday morning, however, the patient was better, though declared to be suffering from typhoid fever. The following bulletin was accordingly issued shortly after nine oíclock: - "Newmarket, November 8, 1886. Mr Fred Archer is suffering from an attack of typhoid fever. There is an improvement in his symptoms today - (Signed) J.R. Wright." -

    This improvement appears to have been maintained until a few hours later, when the terrible tragedy was enacted full particulars of which will be best gathered from the report of the inquest given below. The painful intelligence was promptly communicated to the relatives of the deceased, upon whom it fell as a sudden and overwhelming blow.

    As the news spread throughout England telegrams were received from many quarters inquiring for details, while there were also many callers at the house. Amongst other messages was a telegram from Mr Taylor, of Sandringham, to Mr C. White, asking him to wire at once all particulars about the sad event for the information of the Prince of Wales. The painful details were at once sent to the royal residence.

    Archerís motherless little girl, of whom he was passionately fond, has this week been staying at the residence of deceasedís father-in-law, Mr John Dawson, senior.

    Much surprise was felt by the public generally that firearms, or weapons of any description, should have been allowed to remain in possession of the deceased after it became apparent that his mind was unhinged by the disease that had laid him low; but it afterwards transpired that the only persons who knew of the presence of the revolver in the room were the deceased and his valet, who, since the recent burglary at Mr Jewittís, had received orders, which it seems he strictly obeyed, to place the weapon in the pedestal by the deceasedís bedside, taking it to his own room whenever his master was away from home. On the receipt of a telegram on Thursday week stating that Archer would return home that night, the man put the revolver in its accustomed place, and unhappily it did not appear to have occurred to him, when his masterís illness with its accompanying mental disturbance developed itself, to have removed the weapon out of reach of the invalid or to have made its presence known to the deceasedís medical attendants or friends. Had the suffererís incoherent utterances given any indication of a suicidal tendency probably the precautionary step would have been taken.

    Conjecture was of course rife at first as to the motive which could have prompted the commission of the terrible act; on the circumstances becoming known, however, it was generally accepted that there was no motive, but that the deed was attributable to the delirium of fever. The suddenness of deceasedís action, and the fact that it was taken in the presence of another, also pointed to the conclusion that it was the result of an insane impulse rather than of deliberate design. In all probability the recurrence of the anniversary of his wifeís death during his illness had much to do with the invalid's mental depression for the few days before his death. In seems only reasonable to suppose, too, that the abstemious mode of living and severe wasting, which deceased was constantly obliged to resort to in order to fulfil his numerous engagements, must have told seriously upon his constitution, and weakened not only his physical but mental powers. The strain in this respect had been exceptionally heavy lately, as the deceased was compelled to effect an extraordinary reduction in weight in order to ride St. Mirin at 8st. 7lb. in the Cambridgeshire, about which race he had been very anxious.

    Deceased was devoted to sport other than racing; he was the chief supporter of the Newmarket Drag Hounds and was also one of the guarantors of the Newmarket and Thurlow Hunt. He will be much missed by the followers of these packs during the ensuing and future seasons; but not only in sporting circles has his death caused a blank that will be found extremely difficult to fill. His loss will be keenly felt by the townspeople and especially by many among the poorer classes, for he was of a generous disposition and dispensed charity freely though without ostentatiously making the fact known. Notwithstanding his great popularity and wealth he was singularly free from pride, and was always ready to extend a helping hand to a brother jockey in time of need.

    Deceased, who made a will soon after his wife's death, had amassed a considerable fortune, estimated at several hundred thousand pounds, by his profession; but those who are inclined to be envious would do well to bear in mind the obvious fact that the popular jockeyís position with its accompanying affluence were not lightly gained, but were earned by a life of self-denial, and by a system of abstention, not only from social pleasures but ordinary comforts, and even from what are generally looked upon as the necessaries of life, such as few men would be prepared to practise, notwithstanding the prospect of a large pecuniary reward.

    The deceased had scarcely reached the prime of life having been only 29 years of age last birthday; it is therefore not surprising but only natural that there should exist such a widespread feeling of deep regret, that a career so successful in the past and so full of promise for some time to come should have been cut short in so shockingly tragic a manner as his has been. The sympathy for deceased's relations in their sad affliction is deep and widespread.

    The Inquest.

    Was held at Falmouth House, on Tuesday, before R.H. Wilson, Esq., Coroner for the Liberty of Bury St Edmundís, and a jury comprised of the following gentlemen: - Messrs. T. Jennings, sen., T. Brown, B. Chennell, W.W. Wright, R. Arber, W.C. Manning, G. Simpson, J. Rae, A.B. Sadler, H.H. Ecles, C. Bridge, C.W. Golding and A. Pace, of whom Mr T. Jennings, sen. was appointed foreman. Besides those mentioned above several of deceasedís personal friends were present, amongst whom we noticed Mr M. Dawson, Capt. Bowling, Capt. Bedford, Mr H. Macksey, Mr H. Mills, Mr A. Hogg and Solomon (deceasedís well-known valet).

    After viewing the body, the Coroner called as first witness, Capt. Bowling, who identified the body as that of Fred. J. Archer, a jockey and personal friend of his.

    Charles Bowling, sworn, said he resided at the Junior United Services Club, London, and was a retired captain. He often visited deceased. He knew him well and thought he was about 29 years old. He came to stay with deceased on Saturday last, saw him several times, and conversed with him. He was able to converse to a certain extent but then wandered a little. He was a very anxious about his recovery but not more so than any ordinary man. Never heard him express any intention or show any sign of destroying himself. Saw him on Monday morning about 12 oíclock; that was the last time he saw him alive; he seemed in a happy and contented state. Archer had been wasting very hard to reduce himself before the Cambridgeshire week. He must have wasted considerably to ride 8st. 7lbs. When he (Capt. Bowling) returned to the house about half-past two deceased had committed the act. The deceased had two nurses to wait on him, while Mrs Coleman saw him at frequent intervals.

    Mrs Coleman, Archerís sister, was then called, and although suffering keenly, bore up well and gave her evidence very clearly.

    Emily Coleman, sworn, said: I lived at Falmouth House with the deceased, who was my brother. He came home from Lewes unwell on Thursday last but I did not think he was very bad as he did not go to bed until about his usual time, 11.30, but when he was unable to get up on Friday morning I sent for Dr. Wright. He wandered a little during his illness and seemed to forget things. He appeared better yesterday morning, but during a long conversation I had with him he occasionally forgot the subject and frequently expressed himself anxious about his recovery. At his bidding, a little after two, the nurse was sent out of the room, deceased saying he wished to speak to me alone. I noticed nothing unusual about the circumstance, as he had done so several times before. When the nurse went out I was looking out of the window and deceased said " are they coming?". Almost immediately after I heard a noise, and looking round saw that my brother was out of bed and had something in his hand. I ran to him and when I saw it was a revolver tried to push it away. The revolver was in his left hand, and I had my hand in trying to push away. He then threw his right arm around my neck and fired the revolver with his left hand. I saw him doing it but could not stop him, he seemed awfully strong. He then fell flat on his back close to a chair. I was screaming, but he never spoke. The door was kept ajar for air, but he pushed me against it and closed it; doubtless that is the reason why my screams were not heard. I had no idea there was a revolver in the room; it was in a pedestal by the side of the bed. There was no time for him to have used the commode, everything was so sudden, the whole scene being over in less than two minutes. I thought he did too much to ride St. Mirin. He seemed very anxious, he has seldom ridden so light as 8st. 7lbs. lately. He only fired one shot and that seemed with such a muffled sound.

    Charlotte Hornidge, of the Cambridge Nursery Institution, when sworn, said: I came here on Monday to nurse deceased and arrived in the sick room at 11.30. Capt. Bowling and nurse Dennington were in the room when I arrived. I stayed in the room until seventeen minutes past two, when Mrs Coleman, who had been talking to deceased, told me to go down to dinner. During the three hours I was there, deceased was frequently left alone for several minutes together whilst I went for refreshments for him. Just before Mrs Coleman told me to go out I heard deceased speaking to her, but did not catch what he said. I left the room but came back in about a minute and asked the patient if he was comfortable, he answered "yes!" I went into the bath room, and after opening a bottle of Eau de Cologne for Mrs Coleman, went down stairs. The door of the room was not quite shut. I had scarcely been downstairs a minute when the bell rang, and the housemaid went to answer, but on the bell ringing very violently I ran upstairs and hearing cries of "Help!" went into the room where I saw the deceased lying on the hearth rug. I smelt powder in the room, and when the manservant, Sargent, came into the room and lifted the body up, saw the revolver produced fall. I had no idea there was a revolver in the room. The deceased had no occasion to go to the pedestal, which stood beside the bed, because the chambers after being used were immediately carried out the room. On looking into the pedestal this morning I found the tin box of cartridges produced inside; it had contained 50 but there are only 44 in it now. When I entered the room the deceased was lying on his right side. Whilst I was alone with my patient he seemed very low spirited, saying several times he was going to die. I told him to cheer up and not to look on the dark side as I did not think he was going to die. He answered that he wished he could think the same. He always answered me rationally and several times spoke to me. He did not wander nor sleep. The first thing I did after he was picked up was to feel his pulse; I also looked at his eyes; he was quite dead. The doctor came almost immediately. Some time after I found the bullet produced on the dressing table; there is still a piece of bone clinging to it. The position in which I found it would be nearly in a straight line with the bottom of the bed.

    Harry Sargent, of Exning, was then sworn, and said: I was groom and valet to deceased, and whilst in the house yesterday, about twenty minutes past two, I heard a bell ringing violently, and knowing it to be the red room bell, that of my masterís bedroom, I went up and found deceased lying on the hearth rug. When the nurse turned the body over I saw the revolver drop from his hand; could not say which hand. About a month ago, when the burglars broke into Mr Jewittís house, my master sent me with the revolver to get it repaired and ordered me to always place it in the pedestal in his room when he was at home, but to take it into my own bedroom when he was away, I being the only man in the house when my master was away. Did not expect my master home last Thursday, but heard he had telegraphed to say he should be. I therefore put the revolver into the pedestal according to my orders. There was no lock on it.

    John Rowland Wright, surgeon, of Newmarket, deposed: I have been deceased's medical attendant for 14 years, but have never attended him for a serious illness. He was generally in fair health but never a very strong man. On Friday morning last I was called about half-past seven to see him. He was in a high state of fever and extremely restless; after prescribing I left and came again about two oíclock when the fever symptoms had increased and his temperature was so very high that I suggested that another medical man should be sent for. Archer did not approve of this, but with the advice of a friend I sent for Dr Latham, a physician, from Cambridge, and after a consultation he left. The next morning at seven I visited my patient, who was no better; he had a delusion that a dinner he had eaten three days before was still in his stomach, although he had suffered from diarrhoea all night. He told me the medicine I was giving him would do him no good, a dose of his wasting mixture would cure him. Dr. Latham came again on Saturday and that together we persuaded him that the food being in his inside was only a delusion, telling him he had typhoid fever and must keep very quiet. At once he became more composed. On Sunday, when I went to see him he was very depressed, continually telling me I could not cure him, he should die. In the afternoon he was better and on Monday morning he was much better in his symptoms but very low spirited. He talked sensibly and quietly but always on the subject of death. I left the house at 9.30 and it did not see him alive again. About 2.30 Mrs Coleman met me in the garden of Falmouth House, and told me her brother had shot himself. Upon going into the bedroom I found deceased lying on the floor on his back, quite dead. I found no external wounds at first, but upon examining his mouth found a wound at the back of the mouth, and on examining the back of his head found an opening between the two upper cervical vertebrae. It would have been possible for him to fire the revolver produced with his left hand as described by Mrs Coleman. I have no doubt that the bullet picked up is the one which passed through his spinal column and divided the spinal cord, causing instantaneous death. He was not delirious and noisy during the fever, but disconnected in his thoughts and depressed from the first. I consider from the depression, the weak state, followed by fever, his brain was so disordered that he was not accountable for his actions, in other words he was temporarily insane when he committed the act.

    Capt. Bowling recalled.

    The Coroner: had deceased suffered any great losses in betting? Witness: No, not to my knowledge.

    The family Solicitor was in attendance during the latter part of the hearing, and in answer to the Coroner, after the doctor's evidence, said he did not wish the other part of the evidence to be read to him. The Coroner in summing up thought the evidence was very satisfactory, and it left no doubt in his mind that the deceased shot himself whilst in a state of unsound mind, the weak state and high fever having disordered his brain to such an extent as to leave no doubt that he was insane at the time he committed the rash act.

    With this the Jury unanimously returned the following verdict: that on Monday, the 8th day of November instant, at the parish of Exning aforesaid, the said Frederick James Archer, while in a state of temporary insanity, induced by typhoid fever, did kill himself by then and there shooting himself with a revolver in the mouth and severing the spinal cord.

    The revolver, which was a six-chambered formidable weapon, bore the following inscription: - "Presented to Thomas Roughton, on his winning the Liverpool Cup with Sterling;" this was given by him to deceased.

    Superintendent Reeve, Inspector Payne and P.C. Scarlett were in attendance at the house.

    Biographical Sketch.

    Frederick James Archer was born at St George's Cottage, St George's-place, Cheltenham on the 11th January, 1857. Archer's father was at that time a well-known cross-country jockey, and in the year following the birth of his son Fred, he won the Grand National upon Little Charley, beating 15 opponents. Archer's early life was spent at Prestbury, about three miles from Cheltenham, the home of many a famous horseman. His father kept the King's Arms, and it was here that Archer received his first lessons in riding, on a famous Galloway named Chow, which his father won in a raffle. This pony, ridden by Jack Musto (who had been in Mr Matthew Dawsonís stable), won several stakes in South Wales, pony and Galloway racing being then very popular in that neighbourhood. On the 10th of January, 1867, Archer was apprenticed to Mr Matthew Dawson, at Newmarket, for a term of five years, and on the 28th September, 1870, he rode his first race in public, when he steered Athol Daisy, 6st. 5lb., to victory in the Nursery Handicap at Chesterfield, winning by a length from Rattlecap and two others. It is stated, however, that he had previously ridden with success a pony for Mrs Willan in a pony race, and that lady is proud of having given Archer his first winning mount. Archerís subsequent brilliant career was as great a testimony to Matthew Dawsonís training as it was to his pupilís exceptional skill. Before alluding to his long list of successes, we may say that Archer was always very much attached to his home, and frequently spent the winter at Cheltenham. His younger brother, Charley, in due time also became a jockey, but it is a trainer that he has gained most distinction. There was an elder brother, William, and when these three sons visited home it was a peculiarity of Mrs Archerís that their three rooms should be furnished exactly alike. William was not, like his brothers Fred and Charles, brought up as a professional jockey. He, however, inherited the instincts of the family, and, being a good horseman, accepted a mount in a Selling Hurdle Race at the Cheltenham Meeting of 1878, his brother Charley also riding one of the three competitors. Williamís mount was a horse called Salvanie, who fell and injured his rider so severely that he died the following day. The Archer family included two daughters, one of whom married Mr Coleman, of the firm of Blizard and Coleman, brewers, of Tewkesbury. Mrs Coleman was Archerís favourite sister, and she was nursing him at the time he committed the fatal act.

    On January 31, 1883, Archer married Miss Nellie Rose Dawson, eldest daughter of Mr John Dawson of Warren House, and niece of Mr Matthew Dawson. The ceremony was performed at All Saintsí Church, by the then Vicar, Rev. T.R. Govett, assisted by his curate, Rev. R.J. Corke, in the presence of large concourse of spectators, including visitors from many other towns and even from London, by whom the day is, doubtless, still well remembered. The youthful pair, before whom a long and happy career seemed to lie, having departed for Torquay to spend the honeymoon, the wedding festivities were kept up on an almost regal scale. A ball was given at the Rutland Arms Hotel, by Mrs J. Dawson; the stable lads of Messrs. M. Dawson and C. Archer, to the number of 80, were regaled with a supper; and a prize bull, presented to Archer by Lord Hastings, was roasted whole on the Severals, and was distributed together with bread and beer to numerous ticket holders.

    Two years ago Archer had the great misfortune to lose his fair young wife; the beautiful tomb erected to her memory in Newmarket Cemetery has been visited and admired by hundreds. After his bereavement Archer took a trip to America for a change of scene, but though he no doubt benefited thereby he has never been the same man since.

    His Professional Career.

    Being connected with the Heath House stables Archer rode all the light weight representatives in handicaps, and, on the death of the late Tom French, was appointed first jockey to its leading patrons. Thus his connection with Lord Falmouth began, and he was now thoroughly identified with the celebrated magpie jacket.

    Much of his success he doubtless owed to the friendship and patronage of Lord Falmouth; but it must not be forgotten that it was his own unswerving honesty of character and rectitude of purpose that gained him the friendship of that chivalrous and high-minded nobleman. Lord Falmouthís "I believe Archer," became an article in the creed of every racing man. Archer was a favourite with the Prince of Wales, who presented him with a pin set in diamonds after he rode Counterpane at Sandown. No jockey ever lost fewer races which he ought to have won. In resolute riding, when the race necessitated it, he never had an equal on the British Turf. In 1881 Archer entered into partnership with his old master, Matthew Dawson, as public trainer, but he never took any active part in the business, which has since been given up by the retirement of the veteran trainer. Archer's great successes were due to his being a most consummate judge of pace, and in this respect he was very like Frances Buckle, the celebrated jockey, who took long odds he would win the Derby and Oaks of 1802 upon Tyrant and Scotia, horses which were generally considered to have no chance, and won them both. The patience with which he waited, and the manner in which he siezed upon the exact moment to call upon his horse for the supreme effort, were the causes of his unparalleled achievements. His nerve was of iron, and he never hesitated to take the inside of the turn at Tattenham Corner. It would occupy too much space to detail his numerous victories, but we gave, in tabular form, a list of his principal wins during his career: -

    Archer's Chief Victories.

    The table below of the mounts and wins of Archer since he first sported silk in 1870 gives some idea of his extraordinary success on the Turf. To have some 8084 mounts and 2748 wins is a record that no other jockey can show, the nearest approach to it being that of George Fordham. He headed the list of winning jockeys from 1873 to 1885, and at the time of his decease was again at the head. We supplement the table by mentioning the chief races he has won during his career, there being but few of the leading events in which he has not steered the winner. Taking them in their proper order we notice that he steered five Derby winners, Silvio, Bend Or, Iroquois, Melton, and Ormonde; St. Leger, six, Silvio, Jannette, Iroquois, Dutch Oven, Melton, and Ormonde; Two Thousand Guineas, four, Atlantic, Charibert, Galliard, and Paradox; Oaks, four, Spinaway, Jannette, Wheel of Fortune, and Lonely; One Thousand Guineas, twice, Spinaway and Wheel of Fortune; Grand Prize of Paris, thrice, Bruce, Paradox, and Minting; French Derby, twice, Beauminet and Frontin. He has won the City and Suburban five times, the Great Metropolitan once, Cesarewitch twice, Woodcote Stakes six times, Northamptonshire Stakes once, Lincoln Handicap once, Clearwell Stakes eight times, Middle Park Plate thrice, Dewhurst Plate five times, Ascot Stakes once, Royal Hunt Cup twice, Prince of Walesí Stakes (Ascot) three times, Alexandra Plate twice, Northumberland Plate once, Goodwood Stewardsí Cup twice, Great Ebor Handicap twice, Champagne Stakes seven times, Great Yorkshire Handicap once, Great Yorkshire Stakes once Doncaster Cup once, Portland Plate twice, Manchester Cup once, and Liverpool Autumn Cup thrice. The deceased never rode the winner of the Cambridgeshire (although he was twice placed second with Bendigo and St. Mirin), Ascot Cup, Goodwood Cup and Stakes, and Chester Cup.

    It seems somewhat strange that the last horse he steered to victory should have been in the famous "black, white and red" of his old master, Lord Falmouth, with whom he had been so long and honourably associated, the race in question being the Houghton Stakes which he won on Blanchland.























































    Grand Totals




    The above table does not include Archerís mounts in France and Ireland.

    Up to the time our going to press upwards of 100 magnificent wreaths have arrived from all parts of the country. For the information of those who may wish to attend to pay the last token of respect to the memory of the deceased, we may state that the funeral cortege will leave Falmouth House this (Friday) afternoon at two oíclock, particulars of which will be fully reported in our columns next week.

    Telegrams and letters expressing sympathy with members of the deceasedís family continue to be received in large numbers from all parts.




    Newspaper Cutting (Newmarket Journal) 20/11/1886:

    Funeral of Frederick J. Archer.

    Seldom has the usually cheerful little town of Newmarket presented a more dismal and dispiriting appearance than it did last Friday, when the remains of the lamented Frederick James Archer were consigned to their last-resting place by the side of those of his beloved wife and infant son. A great incubus of sorrows seemed to overshadow the place and its inhabitants; during the early hours of the morning the streets were comparatively deserted, but as the time approached for the performance of the mournful ceremony, groups of townspeople and strangers began to congregate in High Street and at other points along the route to be taken by the funeral cortege from Falmouth House to the Cemetery. The elements seemed to be in sympathy with the general gloom of the occasion, for rain fell heavily during the morning, and though fortunately the showers ceased while the procession wended its way to the grave and the burial was taking place, yet heavy and threatening clouds completely obscured the sky and hung like a pall over the town and surrounding country, giving to both a dreary and desolate aspect quite in harmony with the general feeling that prevailed.

    Shortly before two o'clock the sounding of a knell from the tower of All Saintsí Church gave warning that the hour appointed for the procession to move from the late residence of the deceased was at hand. All the business establishments in the High Street and many of those in the side streets were completely closed, as were also the court-yards of the principal hotels, while blind were closely drawn at the private houses. Meanwhile the groups in the street had increased to throngs, until the route was lined with spectators; the thickest crowds however, of which stable lads formed a considerable part, extended from the corner of Fordham Road to the Cemetery Gates. The hundreds thus gathered to witness the obsequies of one they had known so well waited in silence, or conversed in hushed voices, until the mournful spectacle they were awaiting came into view; when the procession had passed a general move was made towards the Cemetery.

    The scene at Falmouth House just prior to the funeral, as well as at the Cemetery during the interment, was one that will live for years in the memory of those who witnessed it. At the former place, so numerous were the floral tributes of regret and esteem for the deceased that were received that the proper disposal of them became a matter of great difficulty. A special car was provided to convey these tokens in the procession, but this was insufficient for the purpose, and so the hearse was likewise filled to do its utmost capacity inside besides being loaded on the top and hung around the sides with wreathes, crosses, etc. These were composed of an almost infinite variety of flowers, from the humble violet to magnificent specimens of the choicest blooms obtainable, and their delicate fragrance filled the air for yards around. Many of these offerings were of novel and appropriate design, such as horse-shoes, horse-collars, a cushion, broken columns, etc. A simple but very elegant wreath was forwarded by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, the bearer being Lord Alington, who, however, attended the funeral in his private capacity as a friend of the deceased. A broken column of white flowers, entwined with ivy, emblematic of the life so prematurely cut short, was forwarded by Mr George Haughton. Mr Arthur Cooper sent a circlet of splendid Arum lilies, and Sir George Chetwynd a chaste floral emblem composed of stephanota and camellias. Mr Pierre Lorrillardís offering was particularly noticeable, consisting as it did of a wreath of pure white blossoms, decorated with two miniature United States flags and bearing the motto "In memory of achievements in which America shared." Lord Falmouthís wreath of white chrysanthemums and maiden-hair fern was exceedingly pretty; as was also that sent by the Duchess of Montrose, which consisted of similar flowers to the last-named, intermingled with Indian grass, which afforded a pleasing contrast to the pale blooms. A cross which bore the inscription "In affectionate memory of an old friend," from Eglinton A. Humphreys, was made of white camellias, bordered with ivy, while a white dove surmounted the emblem. Mr J.W. Smithís cross, a handsome one, was composed of delicate lily leaves and rare orchids, which contrasted against the dark russet foliage. Two of the most noticeable tributes to the memory of the late jockey, however, were from France. One was an immense wreath of saffron roses, sent by Mr F. Robinson, of Chantilly, bearing the inscription "With deepest regret and respect." The other, which bore the inscription "In affectionate remembrance, Paris, November, 1886," was from Mr Wright, the well-known bookmaker. It consisted of an inner circle of pansies running upon a cross of violets, bordered with pale pink tuber roses; upon this was worked another delicate band of violets, which contrasted against a circle of roses, then came a starring of gardenias bordering into a broad ribbon of violets, upon which were disposed at intervals delicate touches of rose colour. Perhaps the most touching of these floral offerings was a mass of violets, bearing the inscription "With Babyís fondest love to her father," which was a fac simile of the memento laid on Mrs Archerís grave on the previous Sunday in the name of Archerís infant daughter. Another tribute which should not be overlooked was a large and handsome wreath, from Solomon (deceasedís valet), across the centre of which was the motto "Gone but not forgotten," worked in violets upon a pure white ground. Mr P. Cadell Peebles sent an offering in the shape of a horse-collar, composed on one side of Arum lilies and on the other of orchids and hyacinths. Mr Bairdís gift was a beautiful wreath of double violets surmounted with a spray of white lilac.

    Shortly before two o'clock a large number of friends of the deceased assembled at Falmouth House to join the sorrowing relatives in paying the last token of respect to his memory. A few minutes after the appointed hour the mournful cortege started on its melancholy journey. The body of deceased was enclosed in an inner coffin of elm, and this again in a handsome coffin of polished oak, with brass furniture, and a breast-plate bearing the following inscription: - Frederick James Archer. Born January 11th, 1857; died 8th November, 1886." The following was the order of the procession: -

    Private carriage of the deceased, the lamps having wreaths hung upon them, containing Dr. J.R. Wright and Mr Jessop, of Cheltenham (deceasedís solicitor).

    Carriage containing Mr H. Martin, sen., Mr H. Martin, jun., and Mr R. Blyth.

    Carriage draped in black and loaded with some of the wreaths, crosses, and other floral tributes forwarded by friends.

    The funeral car, with glazed panels, containing the coffin, which was completely hidden from view by a vast number of wreaths, etc.

    Here followed a large number of the employees of the different racing establishments.

    Private carriage from Ellesmere House, containing Mr Charles E. Archer (brother), Mr A. Archer (uncle), and Master F. Pratt (nephew of deceased).

    Carriage containing Mr J. Dawson (father-in-law), Messrs J.A. Dawson and G. Dawson (brothers-in-law), and Mr M. Dawson (formerly master and subsequently partner of the deceased).

    Carriage containing Captain Bowling, Mr H. Mills (Cheltenham), and Mr J. Davis.

    Carriage containing Mr A.D. Hogg, Mr Miles líAnson, Mr G. Fletcher, and Mr G. Howe.

    Carriage containing Mr Pratt (brother-in-law of deceased), Solomon Bartholomew (deceasedís valet), Mr Hayward (of Cheltenham), and Mr A. Briggs.

    Carriage containing Lord A. Grosvenor (representing the Duke of Westminster), Lord Alington, and Mr John Porter.

    Carriage containing Mr Walker (stud-groom), Mr Beaconsall (head gardener), Mr Webb (under gardener), and Messrs. Hartley and Pask (grooms).

    Then followed about 30 more carriages containing other friends of the deceased, many of whom were carrying wreaths, crosses, &c. Among those who joined in the procession were: -

    Hon. Capt. H. Boscawen (representing Lord Falmouth), Mr and Mrs Edwin Martin (Exning), Mr Tattersall, Mr Whimple Smith, Mr A. Booty, Mr John Hammond, Sir John Willoughby, Mr Thomas Jennings, sen., Mr A. King, Mr W. Evans (representing the Duchess of Montrose), Mr J. Cannon, Mr J.H. Smith, Mr R.J. Marsh, Mr Griffiths, Mr W. Gilbert, Mr Rose, Mrs E.C. Ker Seymer, Mr W. Reilly, Mr W. Arnull, sen., Mr Cumberland, Lord Cardross, Mr G.A. Baird, Mr Golding, Mr W. Barrow, Mr F. Barrow, Mr G. Barrow, Mr M. Gurry, Mr J. Watts, Mr W. Gardner (Exning), Mr J. Ryan, Mr J. Garrod, &c., &c.

    Mr William Archer, father of the deceased, had arrived at Falmouth House with the intention of following his lamented son to his last resting place, but he was so overcome by his sad and sudden bereavement that his friends, acting under medical advice, dissuaded him from undergoing the trying ordeal of witnessing the interment. Amongst those who were prevented by illness from attending the funeral were: - Captain Machell, Mr T. Cannon, Mr James Hopper, Mr Arthur Cooper, Mr Robert Peck, and Mr T. Jennings, jun.

    On the arrival of the funeral procession at the Cemetery, the coffin was taken from the hearse and carried by eight bearers to the chapel, where the first portion of the solemn service appointed by the Church of England for such occasions was conducted. The building being only large enough to accommodate the immediate relations and friends of the deceased, the remainder of the body of mourners waited just outside until the procession re-formed and proceeded to the open grave, where the mournful ceremony was concluded amid the utmost unmistakable signs of popular sorrow and respect.

    The Burial Service was impressively performed by the Rev. E.H. Littlewood, Vicar of All Saints, Newmarket, assisted by the Rev. Bagshot de la Bere, now of Brighton, but formerly Vicar of Prestbury, the birth-place of Archer, with whom he was intimately acquainted when a boy.

    The grave, which was close beside that of Mrs Archer, was 9 ft. deep, bricked up for a distance of two ft. from the bottom with white bricks, 8 ft. long and 3 ft. wide; the sides were lined with evergreens and decorated with white chrysanthemums, so that the earth was entirely hidden from view. The wreath sent by the Prince of Wales was carried to the grave on the coffin, but it was then removed, the only floral offerings actually buried being those sent by Mr Nellie Archer (the infant daughter), Mrs Coleman (deceasedís sister), Mr and Mrs C. Archer, Mrs M. Dawson, and Miss A. Dawson.

    As soon as the coffin and mourners had entered the Cemetery a vast crowd attempted to follow but were held in check for some time by the police in charge of the gate; the pressure, however, became so great that the constables were compelled to give way and turn their attention to maintaining a clear space around the grave. As soon as the gates were thrown open the throng passed in quickly but quietly, and it is satisfactory to be able to record that the utmost decorum was observed by the mass of spectators and every head was uncovered as the remains of one so well known to and popular with all were borne to their resting place. When the ceremony was concluded everyone was eager to take a last look into the grave of the famous jockey, and a continuous stream of persons therefore circulated around it for some considerable time; most of these also seized the opportunity afforded of making a close inspection of the car-load of wreaths and other emblems already alluded to, which had been drawn inside the cemetery gates.

    Amongst those who formed part of the respectful and sympathising gathering at the Cemetery we noticed - Mr C.J. Bedford, General Renny, Mr. J.L. Davis, Mr W. Burrell, Mr E. Tattersall, Mr R. Tattersall, Major Chaine, Mr and Mrs R. Topping and Miss Topping, Mr Figes (France), Re. J. Imrie (Rector of Newmarket St. Mary), Rev. J.W. Kyte (Woodditton), Rev. S.S. Knipe, Dr. G.B. Mead, Dr. G.O. Mead, Dr. W. Hutchinson, Dr. C.F. Gray, Dr. Fox, Mr A.J. DíAlbani, Mr A. King, Mr G. Simpson, Mr G. Tindall, Mr G.H. Verrall, Mr C.W. Blake, Mr J.H. Smith, Mr J. Corlett, Mr C. Greenwood, Mr A. Allison, Mr A. McNeill, Mr W. Mackay, Mr F. Gallagher, Mr E.F. Fay, Mr J. Moss, Mr T. Erica, Mr E.C. Smith, Capt. A. de Vere Smith, Mr Deacon, Mr Hoare Smith, Mr J.W. Smith, Mr J.E. Brook, Mr Haughton, Mr Peter Price, Mr W. Rogers, Mr A.A. Waugh, Mr W. Gray, Mr J. Jewitt, Mr R. Barrow, Mr J. French, Mr H. Webb, Mr W. Jarvis, Mr C. White, Mr W. Boyce, Mr E. Bambridge, Mr T. Chaloner, Mr R. Sherwood, sen., Mr R. Sherwood, jun., Mr C. Blanton, Mr E.H. Leach, Mr T. Brown, Mr C.E. Hammond, sen., Mr C.E. Hammond, jun., J.P., Mr Ford, Mr J. OíNeill, Mr J. Gardner, Mr S. Taylor, Mr A. Hayhoe, Mr J. Skelton, Mr Dakin, Mr H. Macksey, Mr E. Gittus, Mr W.C. Manning, Mr A.B. Sadler, Mr De La Rue, Mr Garrett, Mr R. Jillings, Mr Jos. Jillings, Mr W. Jillings, Mr Parnacott, Mr R. Clarke, Mr Rowell, Mr J. Matthews (Cambridge), Mr John Fyson, Mr W. Arnull, sen., Mr W. Arnull, jun., Mr J. Mumford, Mr A. Wainwright, Mr C. Morbey, Mr C. Wood, Mr F. Webb, Mr J. Watts, Mr G. Woodburn, Mr J. Woodburn, Mr P. Heaton, Mr C. Loates, Mr S. Loates, Mr Elliott, Mr A. Giles, Mr Killick, Mr A. Booty, Mr W. Lashmar, Mr F. Sharpe, Mr J. Tomlisson, "Jockey" Swift, Mr C. Frail, M. J.H. MíGeorge, Mr E.S. Browne, Mr C. Bloss, Mr Holman, Mr E.A. Humphreys, Mr C. Stebbing, Mr Bolton, Mr Alfred Brian, Mr Godfrey Turner, Mr J. Enoch, Mr W. Martin, Mr J. McDonald, Mr H. Morgan, Mr A.S. Wigg, Mr J. Rae, Mr B. Chennell, Mr W.E. King, Mr F. Challands, Mr T. Clark, Mr J. Button, Mr C. Jillings, Mr W.S. Williams, Mr D. Gilbert, Mr W. Lamb, Mr Woods, Col. Barlow, Mr T. Gardner, Mr A. Carter, Mr A.R. Golding, Mr W.B. Sheppard, Mr A. Pace, Mr C.B. Bosworth, Mr T. Ennion, Mr L.F. Makin, Mr W. Segrott, Mr W. George, Mr H.R. Sherborn, Mr H. Palmer, Mr A. Bloss, Mr W. Howlett, Mr A.M. Ellis, Lord Cole, Mr J. Simpson, Mr T. Gardner, Mr W. Cooze, Mr S. Golding (Silverly), Mr W. Matthews, Mr T. Browne, Mr S. Golding, Mr W. Crisswell, Mr H. Enoch, Mr C. Bridge, Mr Davison, Mr C. Townsend, Mr E. Simpson, Mr Potter, Mr J. Goater, Messrs. Lucock, Barrell and Stone (Cambridge), &c., &c.

    During the time the interment was proceeding at the Cemetery the ladies staying at Falmouth House, with a few friends and the female domestics, gathered in the drawing room there, and the Burial Service was read in an impressive manner by one of the party.

    The following is a list of those from whom wreaths and other floral tributes were received: His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales; Mr Carew (Bishop Sutton Stables); Mr and Mrs Macksey; Mr and Mrs Herbert Mills; Mr A. Vines and Son (Liverpool); Mr Sage (Dublin); Mr Armitage (Dublin); Miss Alice Barrow; Mrs T. Aldcroft; Mr Bird; Mr and Mrs C. Archer; Mrs Coleman; Miss Nellie Archer (deceasedís infant daughter); Annie; Mr and Mrs Bloss; Lord Marcus Beresford; Mr J. Wingrove Smith; Mr Humphreys (Stork House, Lambourne); Mr G.A. Baird; Colonel and Mrs Chaine; Mr Constantine Hiropolis (Oxford Street); Mr and Mrs A. Spight; Count Kinsky; Baron Maltzahn; Mrs Howard; Mr Charles Kinsky; Mr Fred Robinson (Paris); Mr Hammond and family; Mr William Taylor (Yacht Hotel, Torquay); Mr and Mrs G. Hussey (Imperial Hotel, Torquay); Mr. H.C. Lane; Mr W. Baring Bingham (Cowley Manor, Cheltenham); Mr Matthews (Bingham Grange, Derbyshire); Mr and Mrs Hoare-Smith; Mr G. Mortingford; Mr R. Peck; Mr T.U. Webb (Torquay); Mr George Haughton; Mr and Mrs Marsh; Mr and Mrs W. Lewelin; Lord Falmouth; Mr and Mrs Buckshaw (Malton); Mr and Mrs John Osborne; Mr Hungerford; Mr and Mrs Wilson; Mr and Mrs F. Webb; Mr H. Sharp; Mr S. Loates; Mr Waugh and family; Mr Wellwood Maxwelle; Mr C.W. Golding; Capt. A. de Vere Smith; Mr T. Jennings, jun.; Solomon; Rev. G.H.C. Moire (The Rectory, Merton, Oxon); Mr and Mrs John Porter and family; Mr P. Cadell Peebles (London); Mr Willoughby R.D. Maycock (London); Capt. Bowling; Mr and Mrs Jewitt; Mr J. Bradbury; Mr Lewelin; Mr Walter Weblyn (of the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News); Mr W. Robinson (Danebury); Mr and Mrs Arthur Cooper; Mr Arthur Saville; Mr John OíNeill; Mr and Mrs Woodburn; Mr H. Bath; Mr F.V. Tudor; Mr A. Mudge; Mr Thomas Earl; Mr F. Johnston; York friends; Earl of Coventry; Proprietors of the Sportsman (Messrs. Ashley and Smith); Mr and Mrs Jousiffe; Mr T.O. Davis; Mr C. Hibbert; Marquis of Ailesbury; Mr Pierre Lorillard; Mr J. Dawson, jun.; Mr Comyns Cole (London); Mr T. Erica (resident correspondent of the Sportsman); Mrs J. Hammond; Mr and Mrs C. White; Mr W. Gilbert; Mr F.M. Eason (Bromley); Mrs John Preston and family; Mrs Thomas McGeorge; Mr and Mrs Enoch and family; Mr and Mrs Ryan; Mr and Mrs Gurry; Mr J.H. Smith (Brixton); Mr and Mrs Joseph Cannon; Mr and Mrs Charles Greenwood (Brixton); Mr James Smith (Clapham); Mr and Mrs H. Morgan; Mr Thomas Cannon (Danebury); Mr E. Gittus (Snailwell); Mr Herbert de la Rue; Sir George Chetwynd; Mr and Mrs Charles Wood; Mr Sherrard; Sir George Arthur; Sir Thomas Freake, Bart. (Warfleet); Mr Russell Wagton; Mr and Mrs Trevor (Lichfield); Mr Matthews; Mr Tom Glover; Mr and Mrs Watts; Mr and Mrs Wainwright; Mr and Mrs J. Hopper; Mr W.S. Williams (Kennett); Mrs J. Dawson (Willoughby House); Harriet and Arthur; Mr and Mrs Lashmar; Mr Edward Payne; Mr Jonas Jarvis; his loving mother and sister Alice; Lady Hastings; Mr W. Gardner (Exning); Mr and Mrs Sadler; Mr Hutton; Mr and Mrs Leach; Mrs Chaloner; Mr W.C. Manning; Mr Fred Barrett; Miss Barrett; Mr Moire (London); Mr and Mrs W.M. Tharp (Chippenham Hall); Marchioness of Ormonde; Mr J. Davis; Mr and Mrs M. Dawson; the Duke of Westminster; the Duchess of Montrose; Mr Fagan; Marquis of Londonderry; Lady Falmouth; Mr A.D. Hogg; Members of the Albert Club (Dublin); the Earl of Buchan (Carston, N.B.); Sir Robert and Lady Affleck (Dalham Hall); the Queen of Naples (per Mr Alex A. Waugh, Middleton Cottage); &c., &c. In addition to the above a large number of wreaths were sent by friends at a distance to persons in Newmarket to be placed on the grave of deceased; as they were not forwarded to Falmouth House it has been found impossible to obtain a list of them, and many of those which were sent to the residence of deceased are unmentioned here as they were not accompanied by the donorís name or any clue to the place whence they came. We understand that most of the emblems given by friends in this neighbourhood were supplied by Mr R. Graham, Nurseryman.

    On Saturday, the mass of wreathes, crosses and other emblems was arranged on about the grave, considerable extra space being utilised in order to adequately display the enormous number of mementoes to be dealt with. At the head of the grave was placed a large cross sent by Mr J.W. Smith, and beneath it was the valet's wreath and motto described above; on the right was praised placed the cross cent by Capt. Bowling, and on the left that given by the Marquis of Ailesbury. The broken column forwarded by Mr Haughton and the gift of Mr Lorillard occupied prominent positions in the centre of the design, while the wreath sent by the Prince of Wales was judiciously placed where it could be seen and admired by all. The arrangement of these tokens of respect was undertaken by Mr H. Martin, jun., Mr C. Archer and Mr Beaconsell, head-gardener at Falmouth House, and the result was extremely effective and tasteful; the display was subsequently photographed by Mr H.R. Sherborn, of High Street. On Sunday, several hundreds of persons visited the Cemetery, attracted by a sight such as they may possibly never have an opportunity of seeing again.

    The funeral arrangements were very satisfactorily carried out under the personal supervision and Messrs. H. Martin and Son, of High Street, the coffin being made by Mr Robert Blyth, of Park Lane. The carriages were supplied by Mr B. Chennell, of the White Hart Hotel. The brickwork at the grave, with the removal and replacement of the monument, &c., was entrusted to Messrs R. Arber and Son, of High Street; and the lining of the grave with flowers and evergreens as described was done most artistically by Mr C. Townsend, of Fordham. On Friday Inspector Payne was in attendance at Falmouth House with a staff of police, and he subsequently proceeded to the cemetery to the assistance of P.S. Everett who was on duty there with several men of the Cambridgeshire Constabulary. On Sunday the continual stream of sightseers at the Cemetery was regulated by constables belonging to both forces, under the direction Supt. Long and Inspector Payne.

    The sincere sympathy for the deceasedís relatives which is so general in Newmarket is shared by sportsmen wherever the fame of the departed jockey had extended, and by all classes of the community. The message of the Prince of Wales was sympathetic in the extreme, and the letter of condolence written by the Duke of Westminster to Mr Charles Archer and the other members of the family was couched in touching and earnest language. As a proof of the profound sensation caused in all quarters by the news of the tragic event which caused so many to mourn, we may mention that from the time of Archerís sad death up to the following evening (Tuesday) upwards of 80 telegrams were received at Falmouth House expressing regret and sympathy for the bereaved.

    With regard to the disposal of the wealth accumulated by the deceased we believe that no authentic statement has yet been made. Archer made a hurried will shortly after his wife's death, and before his departure for America; it is said that it was his intention during his late illness to have altered this, but although his solicitor was summoned for the purpose and left Cheltenham at once he unfortunately arrived too late. We understand that under the existing document, of which Mr Herbert Mills of Cheltenham and Mr George Dawson (deceasedís brother-in-law) are appointed executors, it will be found that a handsome fortune is bequeathed to deceased's infant daughter, with legacies more or less substantial to numerous relatives and friends.

    The Funeral Sermon.

    On Sunday morning at All Saintsí Church, the Vicar (Rev. E.H. Littlewood) preached an eloquent funeral sermon relative to the death of Fred Archer. The rev. gentleman chose as his text Ecclesiastes vii. 17, "Why shouldest thou die before thy time?" and the discourse was listened to with marked attention by a large congregation, which included most of the relatives, and the household, of the deceased; the Duke of Rutland was also amongst the worshippers on the occasion. The Dead March in Saul was played as a voluntary before the service by the organist missed, Mr T.J. Moakson; and the hymns selected for the occasion were: - "Lead, Kindly Light," "A few more years shall roll," and "Jesu, my Lord, my God." The selections - "O, Death, where is thy sting," and "But thanks be to God" (Messiah), were played as a concluding voluntary.

    Having announced his text the rev. gentleman proceeded as follows: - These words of my text spoken by the wise man of old, are some of the thoughtful words of a fruitful old age charged with the ripe experience and reflections which a long, a varied and observant life alone can furnish us with. And they are meant to be words of warning, pointing out some of those dangers which beset the human path which, from his point of view, might cut short a promising career, and I have chosen them as the text on which to speak to you this morning because they seem to strike a keynote in harmony with some of those reflections which may be passing in our minds just now. Brethren, there are moments in the history of every community when, through some unforeseen event arising with startling suddenness in its midst, it seems to be moved to its very foundations. Such a moment has flashed upon the life of our town this week, and our thoughts have mainly gathered, since the last we met in this Church, round one familiar name, and words of deep pity, sympathy and regret in face of a common sorrow have been passing from every lip. I have felt it therefore, to be my duty, though a stranger was to have spoken to you from this place this morning, to speak to you a few words myself upon the extremely sad event which has taken place in our midst, and which suggests one of two reflections which should naturally find a place in our minds at such a time as the present. Death, that one certain event which is common to the life of all, though its presence be not unfamiliar to us, comes with a voice of its own in what ever guise it comes, stirring strange emotions in our souls. Even the natural falling of the human leaf in the autumn of its days, brings with it took to those who still remain the consciousness of a void unfilled, the sense of a desolation which separation always entails; how often in the after days we sigh "for the touch of the vanished hand, and the sound of the voice that is still." But how much more is all this intensified in the case of premature death. When the young man is cut down in the very zenith of his years, when the life which had hardly reached the fullness of its early summer is rapidly and abruptly closed, the stream of sympathetic regret flows full and strong around us, and the question of the wise man of older rises unbidden within us. What combination of circumstances have gathered themselves together against us and carried thee to an early grave? "Why shouldest thou die before thy time." Brethren, we are apt to trace any event which comes upon us with startling surprise to causes in close proximity to it, while often there lies behind it in the remoter distance the key to the whole position. The lowering sickness, the fevered brain, the frenzied impulse, the tragic act by which the silver cord of life was loosed, these are the present facts immediately before our vision which account for the actual catastrophe, but behind, across that path of brilliant unbroken success, they rests a dark shadow that clings like a chilling blinding mist to the onward path of triumph. We have not forgotten, have we, how two short years ago, a gloom such as today's rested over this same congregation; how the light of his earthly life went out, when it had just dawned upon him, and the frail earthly vessel, tossed to and fro amid the heavings of that great life storm, seemed ready to drift a hopeless, helpless wreck, and break up beneath the fury of the tempest. When God, in His mysterious Providence parts asunder in the first warm fervour of youth the hearts He has joined together, be sure there is shaking of the human fabric, so fearfully and wonderfully made, which leaves its trace behind. Nor, again, must we shut out from our view other causes secretly at work, belonging more especially to his own particular calling. St. Paul, speaking of the contests of his day, wrote these words, "He that striveth for the mastery is temperature in all things," but the exigency of the contests in which he took part seemed to demand have been something more exacting than "temperance and all things." And so he yielded to the ever present temptation, and any of us might have done the same, of treating that human body, such an essential portion of our human life, as though it were his own possession and could be made to make the yield to the presence of any emergency. And so the worn and wistful face, often such a true index of the secret streams of life within, seemed to speak of an undermining of the vital forces within; yea, was there not crammed into those 16 years of an unparalleled career a spending of physical force which left nothing remaining but the framework of a used-up life. And so with a real and unfeigned sorrow we miss him from his accustomed place today, and leaving him in the hands of that Almighty Father who, in the beautiful words of one of our Collects, shows His Almighty power most chiefly in showing mercy and pity, we will strive to gather up some lessons which God would have us learn from this dark cloud of sorrow which has gathered so suddenly upon us, and wrung from a world-wide circle a deep-seated feeling of sympathy. Brethren, we are all of us too forgetful of what our being consists, of how each portion of this complex human nature claims consideration at our hands. We are one of God's marvellous works. We are fearfully and wonderfully made, and no neglect or contravention of the laws which govern our being can ever be indulged in with impunity. How many a life which has been cut off in its early summer might have fulfilled its allotted span if in the heyday of its youth it had asked itself, earnestly, the searching questions of the aged sage, "Why shouldest thou die before thy time." I will not dwell this morning on that more patent physical waste which is born of sensuality and love of self-indulgence, and which carries off many a life of much promise to a premature grave. O, gay-hearted young man, amid the glancing at the wine cup and the revelry and the mirth which has already enchained thee with a fatal fascination, thou mightest see, if there wouldest open thine eyes, the weird handwriting on the wall, appealing to thee in such pitiful tones - "Why shouldest thou die before thy time." But this word of warning has a voice for a wider circle than these grosser sinners against their own bodies. Where shall we find the profession, where shall we look for the vocation, which in these hurrying days will not supply us with a record of lives which have been sacrificed to the demands of success? The greater the pre-eminence the stronger the temptation to ignore what seems the minor conditions of life on which the permanence of success depends. The moment the foot is firmly planted on the ladder of a great reputation, how few have the moral courage to guard against an undue straining of their powers. The rising statesmen may fall victim of over-spent energy in the very moment when the much coveted laurel was almost in his grasp. The physician, to whose words of advice thousands have learned to cling, may discover too late that he has ignored in his own life the very laws he has pointed out to others. The preacher, carried away with his enthusiasm, may draw on the reservoir of life so lavishly that a life of the usefulness may be cut short while it seemed to be as yet noon-day. The man of business may so yield to the pressures and demands of an ever-growing competition that he too may fall a victim to a premature decay. Even the youthful student, in the ardour of his aspirations, may overtax his immature strength, and ere yet his vessel has set sail make shipwreck of the possibilities of life. And so there is needed on all sides a lessen of prudence and caution. Every portion of our nature has a claim on our care and watchfulness, and we cannot slight any portion without risking danger to the whole. And this leads me to the final thought I would wish to impress upon all your minds in the solemn hour. Life, this human life to which God has called us and in which we find ourselves, is even in its smallest details a great and responsible trust, which God has committed to us and for which we shall have to answer to Him. Once take this true and real view of life, that whatever gifts or powers may belong to us we hold them not as possessions, but as trustees of Him who gave them to us, and every smallest detail, let it seem ever so insignificant, will remind us of its own value and become the object of our watchfulness and care. Life, this life, as far as God has revealed to us, is the great opportunity which God places before each. Use it, believe in its greatness, and guard it as a sacred trust from Him. Enfeeble it not, curtail it not, by taking too mean a view of its value. Husband the forces within thee. Grasp with a thankful hand the mighty possibilities before thee. Yes, trade so thoughtfully with the living capital which God had placed at thy disposal, that in that great final hour when God shall claim his own thou mayest hear the cheering voices of approval from a kind, loving Master. "Well done, thou good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things; enter thou into the joy of thy Lord."



    These cuttings were researched by Geoffrey Woollard, he has kindly transcribed these for inclusion here. If you have any information about this death please contact Geoffrey Woollard email:

    Return to Main Index page page

    Comments and Other Information

    Last Updated on: 4 September 2000
    For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
    ©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.