Max B. Leichter figures prominently in business circles of New Haven as proprietor of the Loomis Temple of Music, one of the oldest music houses of the state and one of its most reliable. It has remained a business institution of New Haven for a half century and in all these years has enjoyed a most enviable reputation by reason of the reliable policy instituted by its founder and always maintained by his successors, while the modern business enterprise of Mr. Leichter has made its trade one of large and gratifying proportions.
Max B. Leichter was born in New Haven, June 21, 1876, a son of Bernard and Augusta (Kaiser) Leichter. At an early age he left school to enter the Loomis Temple of Music in the capacity of errand boy. Nature endowed him with musical taste and talent, and from an early age he was considered a musical prodigy, winning renown as a juvenile concert performer. Because of his interest in the art he frequently had occasion to visit the Loomis Temple of Music and the owner, C. M. Loomis, took more than a passing interest in the boy. At length he prevailed upon him to become an employe in the store, and though he began work in the capacity of errand boy, he was not long in winning advancement to a position on the sales force of the store. The business had been established in 1865 by C. M. Loomis following his return from the Civil war, in which he had served as a member of Company F of the Sixth Connecticut Volunteer Infantry. By his integrity and industry Mr. Loomis soon built up an extensive business and won hosts of friends. The policy of the house has always been courtesy and straightforward dealing and satisfaction to the thousands of its patrons. The founder continued an active factor in the conduct of the business until his death, which occurred in March, 1890, when his son took up the work which his father had laid down. It was Charles II. Loomis who succeeded as the sole manager of the business, having been connected with the establishment since its inception in 1865. Through his energy and generous treatment of the people he was greatly instrumental in building up the business to its large proportions. He conducted the trade on his own account until 1907, when he admitted Max B. Leichter to a partnership and this association was maintained until the death of Charles H. Loomis in 1910. His interest was then purchased by Mr. Leichter, leaving him as sole proprietor. The business has since grown by leaps and bounds. The spirit of modern enterprise and progress inducted into the undertaking by Mr. Leichter has resulted in building up a trade of most gratifying proportions. However, he attributes much of the success of the business to Charles H. Loomis, who had been connected therewith since the establishment of the store and who early in his business career became an outside man or salesman, covering the state of Connecticut and winning for the house a wide reputation for honesty and fair dealing. He was so well versed in the piano business that there was no part of any instrument which he could not intelligently discuss. He had early served an apprenticeship in a piano factory and he was therefore an excellent representative of the trade in the territory which he covered. In fact he was regarded as one of the most versatile men in the piano business on the road and it was in large measure due to his efforts that the Loomis Temple of Music became so widely known. The house has always carried an extensive stock of classical and sheet music and textbooks on music as well as a varied line of musical instruments, and it has among its patrons in the state more than three hundred music teachers. There is also a complete Victrola department and stock of records and also a repair department where none but expert workmen are employed. They likewise have the only piano moving business of the city and for forty-five years the house has enjoyed an enviable reputation for the extreme care which is displayed by its employes in moving pianos. The establishment of today bears little resemblance to that which was founded in 1865, the original stock of pianos numbering but four. Today the Loomis Temple of Music is the most complete house of the kind in Connecticut, occupying a store two hundred and ten by forty feet and representing the world's leading manufacturers of pianos, piano players, and talking machines. They also have a complete stock of smaller musical instruments. One of the innovations of the house is its soundproof rooms for trying out Victor and other records. These rooms are the size of ordinary living rooms and are tastefully arranged with suitable furniture and decorations. The prospective purchaser, therefore, has a chance to know exactly how the records will sound in his own home and is able to give his entire attention thereto undisturbed by any unusual environment.
In December, 1909, Mr. Leichter was married to Miss Blanche Ullman, a daughter of Major Louis M. Ullman, mentioned elsewhere in this work. They now have one child, Carlyn, born in New Haven in 1911 and now attending a private school.
Mr. Leichter has membership in the Harmonie Club, the Racebrook Country
Club and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He has membership in
the Young Men's Republican Club, which is indicative of his political views.
He belongs to the Connecticut Piano Dealers Association and was elected
to its presidency for the year 1917. Those things which touch the general
interests of society are matters of concern to him and his influence is
always cast on the side of progress and improvement. His own career is
indicative of this spirit. Starting out in life empty-handed, his is the
splendid success of an honest man deeply interested in the line of business
in which he has engaged and holding at all times to the highest standards.
Modern History of New Haven
New York – Chicago
pgs 234 - 235
pages / text are copyrighted by
Elaine Kidd O'Leary &