Hendryx, Nathan

One of the extensive and important manufacturing plants of New Haven, contributing much to the business development and commercial stability of the city, is that conducted under the name of the Andrew B. Hendryx Company, of which Nathan W. Hendryx is the president. He has been a lifelong resident of New Haven, born on the 14th of February. 1880. He supplemented his public school training by study in the New York Military Academy and in St. Paul's School, together with a two years' course in the Sheffield Scientific School of Yale. His business training was received under the direction of his father. The periods of vacation were devoted to factory work and he acquainted himself thoroughly with every department of the business, gaining an intimate knowledge of the work in principle and detail.

The company manufactures bird cages, fishing tackle, picture cord, etc., and its products are unrivalled anywhere in its special lines. They have a modern plant at No. 86 Audubon street. The business was established in 1874 at Ansonia, Connecticut, under the firm name of Hendryx & Bartholomew, the senior member being Andrew B. Hendryx, and through the intervening years has steadily grown and developed until the output is now very large. The plant includes eight spacious buildings, two of which are one story in height, two of two stories, three of four stories and one of five stories. The latest and best improved machinery has been installed for carrying on the manufacture and, in fact, every modern device and facility has been secured for promoting rapid and perfect production. The company employs two hundred and thirty skilled operatives in the manufacture of high grade brass bird cages, chain and fishing tackle, wire picture cord and moulding hooks. The cage making extends to complete standard lines of bird and animal cages, and brass is largely the raw material used.

Mr. Hendryx has remained president of the company since 1907 and Thomas B. Oliver is the treasurer. The business is thoroughly organized in its various departments. Something of the growth of the business is indicated in the fact that when the plant was established at New Haven there were but twenty-five employes. Today they have ten times that number, while the floor space has been increased from fifteen thousand square feet to one hundred thousand square feet. On the removal to New Haven in 1879, the name was changed to its present form and the business was incorporated on the 1st of October, 1889. The policy of the house in its treatment of employes is indicated by the fact that some of the men in their service have been with them for thirty-eight years.   They are always fair and just, seeking to give an equitable return for  services rendered.

Mr. Hendryx attends the Congregational church and he gives his political allegiance to the republican party. He is well known in club circles, holding membership in the Quinnipiac, Union League, New Haven Country and New Haven Yacht Clubs.

Modern History of New Haven
Eastern New Haven County


Volume II

New York Chicago
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company 

pgs 318 - 319

Return to New Haven County Page

pages / text are copyrighted by
Elaine Kidd O'Leary & 
Anne Taylor-Czaplewski
May 2002