| BOARDMAN. The name has been one
of prominence in New England from the earliest Colonial times, and especially
has it been historic in Connecticut. It is the purpose here to treat only
of the line of ancestry and descendants of the late William Boardman, for
many years a prominent citizen of Wethersfield and Hartford, in which latter
city still reside some of his children and grandchildren, among them William
Francis Joseph and Thomas Jefferson Boardman, long identified with the
father in the wholesale tea, coffee and spice house of William Boardman
The name is uniformly spelt Boreman in the
Colonial Records of Connecticut, and Boreman or Borman in the early records
of Wethersfield. The change from Boreman, or Borman, first appears among
the family records in that of Lieut. Richard Bordman, of Newington, in
1707, nearly seventy years after the first appearance of Samuel (I) "Boreman
in New England, by the addition of the letter "d." The new form was adopted
by most of the name in Wethersfield until 1780, in which year the "a" is
first added in the record of Elijah Boardman, son of Israel, of Newington,
since which time the name has been spelt as above, Boardman. Instances
are found where the same person might have his name spelt in all three
ways in succession, as in the case of Lieut. Richard, of Newington, above
mentioned, whose birth was recorded as a Boman, his marriage is a Bordman,
and his death on his gravestone as that of Boardman.
(I) SAMUEL BOREMAN, the emigrant ancestor
of this branch of the Boardman family, was a son of Christopher and Julian
(Carter) Boreman, and was born in Banbury, Oxfordshire, England, and
baptized there August 20, 1615. About 1619 he removed with his parents
to Claydon, a village near Banbury, where he spent his early life. From
indications contained in the Journal of John Josselyn, Genl., Mr. Boreman,
accompanied by his "servant" (and perhaps by his wife), sailed in the ship
"New Supply" from Gravesend, England, for New England, "April 26, 1638,
which anchored in the Bay of Mass., before Boston, July 3d, of the same
year.'' He first appears as a New England settler in Ipswich, Mass., where,
in a list of inhabitants without date, he is called a cooper, and has land
recorded to him Aug. 22, 1639. His stay in Ipswich was not a long one,
yet during this period he owned three different homesteads. The first of
these, which was granted to him by the town, was situated at the west end
of High street.
In 1641, or during the previous year, he dis-posed
of all his property in Ipswich and removed to Wethersfield, Conn. About
this time he married Mary, daughter of John and Mary Betts, who were living
in Claydon in 1627. She afterwards emigrated to New England with the mother,
then the "widdoe" Mary Betts, who appears in Hartford soon after the settlement
of the town, and received a portion of the first grants of land, being
one in the list who had "lotts at the Courtesie of the Town." Her house
lot in 1639-40 was situated at the foot of the present Trumbull street
on the East side. She was a school teacher and called "Goody Betts, the
school dame." She died before July 19, 1647.
The earliest record of Samuel Boreman in Wethersfield
appears in Vol. I, Town Votes, Page 4, viz.: "The eare marke of Sam: Boreman
of Wethersffielde is the near eare under half-penyed, the off eare whole."
This ear mark was used by his de-scendants in Wethersfield as late as 1846.
Judge Adams, the Wethersfield historian, considers this entry to have been
made in 1640. His first purchase of land in Wethersfield, so far as known,
was a homestead of three acres, with a barn and cellar, which was recorded
April 9, 1645. It was on the east side of Broad street, a little north
of Plain Lane and near the great elm now standing there, and is thus entered
on the record of the town: "One piece whereon a cellar and a barn standeth,
containing three acres more or less. The ends abut against the Broad St.
north-west, and the plain south-east, the sides against the house-lot of
Mr. Chester north-east and Richard Parke south-west.'' This lot he sold
to John Lattimer before June 22, 1646.
On November 3, 1659, he purchased of Mr. Nathaniel
Dickinson a homestead which was situated on the southwest corner of Broad
street, extending westward along Fletcher Lane (Garden street) to Belle
Lane (South Main street) and is described as "one house lot with house
thereon Con: 2 acres and a half more or less, the end abutting on Broad
Street East, and the long street West, and on the highway North, and the
lands of John Kilborn South." Here he resided the last four-teen years
of his life; the house, at times repaired and enlarged, was the home of
five generations of the family. The buildings were subsequently used as
a tavern, and destroyed by fire March 17, 1827. Samuel Boreman was an extensive
land holder, having purchased no less than fifty-five pieces of land, aggregating
755 acres. This was exclusive of one-eighth part in lands of Robert Rose,
who had 312 acres in one tract on the East side of the river, and other
lands on both sides. Samuel Boreman was granted, by the town, Jan. 2, 1649-50,
thirty acres of upland in Stepney (Rocky Hill) bounded East on the river,
North on what was later reserved for a ship yard, South by a stream known
as Fog Brook, extending westerly up the hill which slopes from the river.
This was the first grant of land by the town in that section of Wethersfield.
In after years this tract became of great commercial importance. It has
often been occupied by stores and warehouses, and at the present time the
Railroad Station, the Foundry and several ancient residences are located
on this site.
The Indian Chief Turramuggas (Son of Sachem
Sowheag) gave to Mr. Samuel Boreman and Thomas Edwards jointly, Jan. 26,
1673, out of "respect for them" a tract of land containing 400 acres at
Assawasick, in what is now East Glastonbury. This is the earliest deed,
next after one grant of land at Beckley quarter, made by the Indians to
private individuals in the township.
Samuel Boreman's name is often found in the
records of Wethersfield. He was chosen townsman ( Selectman) in 1656-57-58-60-61-62-65-66-69-72
and 1673, assessor for two years, rate maker, surveyor of highways and
constable. He was often appointed to lay out highways, town bounds and
individual grants of lands. In church affairs as well, he took a prominent
part, serving on committees to "procure a minister." "seat the meeting
house," erect a parsonage, to settle differences, etc. He last appears
in the Wethersfield Town Records, March 26, 1673, where he is the first
named of five townsmen to procure a house for the use of the Rev. Mr. Bulkier.
His inventory was taken May 2, 1673. We learn from the Records of the Particular
Court or Court of Magistrates that Mr. Boreman was a Juror as early as
1646 and filled that office for fif-teen years, in 1660 and 1662 being
one of the Grand Jury.
In the Colonial Records, we find that Samuel
Boreman first represented the town of Wethersfield as Deputy to the General
Court Oct. 1, 1657, that he was elected in all eighteen terms and reported
present at thirty-four sessions. On Oct. 9, 1662, when Connecticut's famous
charter, procured in England from Charles II by Governor Winthrop, was
"first publiquely read in audience of ye Freeman and declaired to belong
to them and their successors." “Mr. Samuel Boreman was present as
one of the Dep-uties and he and Sergt. Nott were appointed to notify those
in Wethersfield indebted to the country in behalf of Mr. Cullick to provide
and prepare payment to enable the country to discharge such sums as should
be charged by Governor Winthrop for procuring the Charter for the Colony."
He was appointed by the General Court in 1649 Town Sealer of weights and
measures, and in 1659 Customs Master of Wethersfield, being the first to
hold that office, was selected by the General Court to serve on committees
to settle church differences, to lay out the new town of Haddam, including
its purchase from the Indians, to lay out the bounds of Middletown and
settle its differences with the Indians, to settle estates and to lay out
the bounds of the proprietors at Naubuck. "Mr." Samuel Boreman's last appearance
as Deputy from Wethersfield on record was Oct. 12, 1671, the beginning
of a term of the court which expired in April, 1672. He died in April,
1673. His widow Mary died in August, 1684, aged about sixty-one years.
Children: Isaac, Mary, Samuel, Joseph, John, Sarah, Daniel, Jonathan, Nathaniel
and Martha. Joseph, born March 12, 1650, and John, born June 12, 1653,
died in 1676, unmarried; their inventories were both taken Feb. 27, 1676-7.
In the list of accounts due to John appears "£12-6s-9d, due from
the country," which, with the manuscript of Hon. David Sherman Boardman
that they "died unmarried in the Army," lead to the belief that they perished
in the King Philip war—probably in the Swamp fight, Dec. 19, 1676. The
other children lived to marry.
"Few of the first settlers of Connecticut
came here with a better reputation or sustained it more uniformly through
life than Mr. Boreman" [Hinman page 263 ] "Samuel Boreman was a leading
man in the Colony for nearly thirty years'' [Hollister Vol. I, P. 464].
(II) SAMUEL BOREMAN, son of Samuel and Mary
(Betts) Boreman, was born in Wethersfield, Oct. 28, 1648. He married Feb.
8, 1682-3, Sarah Steele, baptized at Farmington, Dec. 29, 1656, daughter
of Lieut. Samuel and Mary (Boosey) Steele of Wethersfield and earlier of
Farmington. Mr. Boreman was by occupation a cooper and farmer, and one
of the principal land owners of the town, having added largely to the share
which he received from his father's estate by the purchase of other tracts
of land in the South Field, the Great Plain, the West Field and elsewhere.
In 1677, Samuel Boreman, with three others,
received from the town a grant of land in ‘Piper Stave Swamp in the present
town of Newington with sufficient Pondings and 20 acres of land to each
of them forever, for the purpose of erecting a sawmill, allwise provided
the said party, make no sale of bord or timber to any other town, without
the consent of Wethersfield townsmen, and to sell bords at home, at five
shillings per hundred and at the mill at four shillings per hundred. The
mill is to be up and fit for work at or before the last of September next
ensuing the date hereof [Wethersfield Town Votes]. This was the first sawmill
built in Wethersfield. "Clark Samuel Boreman" had a share in the second
division of land on the West side of the river, a 52-acre lot in Newington,
and lands elsewhere.
Although not a prominent office holder we
find that Mr. Boreman was chosen surveyor of highways in 1679. "Sergt.
Samuel Boreman" was one of the town collectors for 1683, constable in 1682,
one of the Committee to lay out a highway to Fearful Swamp in 1687, Lister
in 1693 and 1702, and Surveyor in 1694. He occupied his father's homestead,
corner of Broad Street and Fletcher Lane. He died Dec. 23, 1720, "aged
72 y. 2 mo., wanting two days," and his widow, Sarah, died Jan. 23, 1732-3.
Their children were Mary, Sarah, Hannah, David, Joseph and Josiah. Sarah,
Hannah and Josiah died young. Sarah (Steele) Boreman was a descendant of
the third generation from John Steele, one of the original proprietors
of Hartford, who was born in Essex County, England, and married at Fairstend,
near Braintree, in the above county, Rachel, sister of John Talcott of
Hartford. He emigrated to New England about 1632, and settled in Newtown
(Cambridge), where he was made a freeman in 1634. He was chosen Deputy
to the General Court of Massachusetts in March, 1634, and May and September,
1635, and was appointed by that body March 3, 1635-6 one of the Commissioners
"to govern the people of Connecticut for the space of one year coming."
He removed to Hartford in 1635-6, and his homestead was on the east side
of Main Street, a little north of the site now occupied by the Atheneum.
Mr. Steele was actively interested in the affairs of his town and colony.
He was Secretary of the Colony from 1636 to 1639, was often chosen Deputy
to the General Court between 1637 and 1657, and held the office of Town
Clerk of Hartford until his removal to Farmington about 1645, where his
wife Rachel died in 1653. He died in Farmington, November 25, 1665.
Sarah Steele's line of descent was Lieut. Samuel (II), John (I).
(III) JOSEPH BORDMAN, son of Samuel and Sarah
(Steele) Boreman, was born in Wethersfield April 6, 1695, married Feb.
17, 1726, Mary, daughter of Joseph Belden, born April 23, 1704, and lived
at the extreme south end of Broad Street, on the west side, in the house
erected by his father Samuel (II), and given him by the latter's will in
1720. He was a farmer by occupation, and in local matters a man of substance
and prominent in the affairs of Wethersfield. He was commissioned Quarter-master
of Captain Josiah Griswold's Troop of Horse, in the Sixth Regiment, May
11, 1749, and Cornet in the same regiment in October, 1751, by the General
Court. He was one of the selectmen of the town in 1755, who had charge
of the French prisoners quartered there at that time. "It is probable that
he did his share of duty in the French campaign during his term of military
Joseph Bordman was chosen Deputy to the General
Court from Wethersfield, October, 1754, January, 1755, March, 1755, October,
1759, and May 1760. He was one of the largest contributors to the fund
raised for building the present Congregational church in Wethersfield in
1761. (Corner Stone.)
His wife Mary died April 30, 1769. He died
Jan. 19, 1771. Their children were Mary, Sarah, Eunice, Hannah, Levi, Rhoda,
Samuel and Abigail. All lived to marry. Mary (Belden) Bordman was descended
in the fourth generation from Richard Belden, an early settler of Wethersfield.
The records concerning him are few. He owned April 7, 1641, eight pieces
of land including a homestead situated on the east side of Broad street,
on the north corner of Plain Lane. He was chosen town herder March 16,
1646. It was his duty to keep watch over the herd and give immediate warning
to the inhabitants of wolves or other dangers threatening the stock, his
compensation being in "four equal payments." "On fourth in wheat, on fourth
in pease, on fourth in barley, on fourth in Indian, sound, dry and well
drest." That this was not an easy task we may readily infer from the fact
that, the year following, four herders were elected. He died in 1655, the
inventory of his estate was taken Aug. 22d of the same year. Mary (Belden)
Bordman's line of descent is through Joseph (III), John (II), Richard (I).
(IV) LEVI BORDMAN, son of Joseph and Mary
(Belden) Bordman, was born in Wethersfield, May 6, 1739. He married April
23, 1761, Esther Bordman, born Dec. 22, 1743, daughter of Gamaliel and
Sarah (Sherman) Bordman, of Newington, and great-great-granddaughter of
Samuel Boreman, the settler. He died March 22, 1782. Esther, his widow,
married (second) Nov.11, 1784, William Warner, and died Sept. 1, 1797.
The children of Levi and Esther were Joseph, Levi, Sarah, Sarah, Simeon
and Joseph Simeon—Levi and Joseph Simeon, only, living to maturity.
Levi Bordman was a prominent man of his day
in Wethersfield. He was chosen one of the selectmen of Wethersfield in
December, 1773, 1774, and 1775, and in this official capacity he certified
to the muster roll of Capt. John Chester's Company of one hundred and fifteen
men, at the starting of that body for the relief of Boston, in the Lexington
Alarm in April, 1775. In this company were Samuel, Elijah, Return and Samuel
Bordman (2d). In 1774 he was one of the contributors to a fund “to
relieve and encourage the inhabitants of Boston under their unparalelled
suffering in the General Cause of American Liberty." In the year following
he assisted his brother Samuel in erecting a saltpetre manufactory, near
the foot of Broad street, in Wethersfield, and furnished material necessary
in the manufacture of this article, large quan-tities of which were made
for use in the Revolutionary war. Levi and Samuel Bordman also built and
owned the sloop "Ann" (Lemuel Deming, master), which was used to convey
a company of seventy-two soldiers, under the command of Capt. John Hanmer,
from Wethersfield to New York, at the time of the Long Island invasion
Aug. 23, 1776. It is a family tradition that Levi Bordman served in the
war of the Revolution. The fact that he possessed a full military equipment,
including a breast plate marked "L. Bordman," adds not a little to the
truth of this tradition.
During a portion of his life, at least, Levi
Bordman was a school master, and sometimes received pupils at his home
for instruction. It is known that he taught the South School in Wethersfield
in 1771, and the Broad Street School in 1778. His library included books
in the Greek and Latin languages, indicating that he was a man of liberal
Mr. Bordman is said to have lived some years
after his marriage in the house of his ancestor, Samuel Boreman (I), corner
of Broad street and Fletcher Lane. Included in the inventory of his property
was an "old tavern sign," which leads to the conjecture that he kept a
public house there, for it is known that the building was used for that
purpose. It is believed that Mr. Bordman was keeping this tavern when on
September 19, 1765, Stamp-Master Jared Ingersoll, of New Haven, on his
way to Hartford, was forced by the "Sons of Liberty," who had gathered
under the great Elm tree in front of Col. John Chester's house, next adjoining,
to enter this tavern, and there sign a written resignation of his office.
Esther Bordman was helpful to the soldiers
dur-ing the War of the Revolution in assisting them to join their regiments,
in boarding, washing and mending their clothes, &c. Her line of descent
is through Gamaliel (IV), Richard (111), Daniel (11), Samuel (I).
(V) Joseph SIMEON Boardman, son of Levi and
Esther (Bordman) Boardman, was born in Wethersfield, Conn.,
May 3, 1780. He married July 31, 1803, Lucinda, daughter of Joseph and
Hannah (Harrison) Canfield, of Salisbury, Conn., born1786. He was
a cordwainer by trade. Early in 1804 he removed to Lenox, Mass.,
where he successfully engaged in the business of tanning leather.
Late in the following year he returned to his native town, and for some
years lived on the west side of the highway leading from Broad street to
South Lane, next north of the Appleton Robbins place. In 1816
he purchased his father's old homestead on Broad street, where he resided
until his death.
After his return from Lenox he devoted his
attention somewhat to the shipping business, then of considerable local
importance. An examination of his account books and diaries show him to
have been very careful and accurate in his business habits. From them,
it is learned that he spent a portion of his time at his trade, and that
he was also engaged in shipping large quantities of onions, then the staple
crop of Wethersfield, to New York, and there selling them on commission.
It was while acting as super-cargo on board the sloop "Eliza" (David Moulthrop,
captain), on her passage to New York, that he lost his life by shipwreck
on Long Island Sound on the night of November 13, 1827, all on board being
lost. His body was recovered at Huntington, L. I., and buried in Wethersfield.
His widow married Sept. 19, 1832, Ezra L'Hommedieu, of Chester, where she
died March 6, 1850, and was buried in Wethersfield.
Mr. Boardman was a gentleman of strong religious
convictions. He and his wife became members of the Congregational Church
in 1816, and throughout their lives were zealous workers in the cause of
religion. Mr. Boardman's private diary, from which extracts of considerable
length are given in the Boardman Genealogy, is a witness to the earnestness
and sincerity of his Christian life. Their children were William, Hannah,
Joseph, Joseph Canfield and Maria Lucinda.
Lucinda (Canfield) Boardman was of the sixth
generation from Sergt. Thomas Canfield, who was born in England and settled
in Milford, Conn., in or before 1646, and was granted a house lot and two
acres of land by the town, December 31, 1646. He also received from the
town four acres of land for supporting a gate at New Field. He became a
member of the church in Milford, March 1, 1656, and was appointed by the
General Court May 13, 1669, sergeant of the train band of Milford. He was
elected Deputy to the General Court from Milford in 1673, 1674 and 1676.
He died in 1689. His wife, Phebe Crane, whom he married probably before
1650, was perhaps the sister of Benjamin Crane, of Wethersfield. Her will
was made July 29, 1690. Lucinda Canfield's line of descent is Joseph (V),
Joel (IV) Thomas (III), Thomas (II), Thomas (I).
(VI) WILLIAM BOARDMAN, son of Joseph Simeon
and Lucinda (Canfield) Boardman, was born Feb. 25, 1805,
in Lenox, Mass., where his father was then for a short time residing. Young
Boardman received his education in the best schools of Wethersfield. At
the age of sixteen he began learning the printer's trade in the office
of the Hartford Times, then owned and published by Samuel Bowles and John
Francis. In the summer of 1824, when Mr. Bowles started the Springfield
Republican, Mr. Boardman went with him to Springfield, the removal being
accomplished by placing the press, with all articles necessary for use
in the business, and the household furniture on a flatboat, in which they
were poled up the Connecticut river. He boarded in the family of his employer,
and set up and printed a part of the first issue of the Springfield Republican,
which has since become one of the leading newspapers of New England. In
1828, in company with William Faulkner, of Norwich, under the firm name
of Boardman & Faulkner, he began the publication of the Norwich Republican,
of which he was also the editor. This was the second paper in Connecticut
to support the election of Andrew Jackson for the Presidency. Ill health
obliged Mr. Boardman to retire from his position after the first year.
In 1830 he published the Tolland Advocate for an association of gentlemen
in Tolland, Conn. In 1832, in company with Alfred Francis, he published
the life, writings and opinions of Thomas Jefferson, written for them by
B. L. Rayner, the printing, binding, etc., being all done in Wethersfield.
In 1834, Mr. Boardman was employed by John Russell, then editor and publisher
of the Hartford Times, as foreman of the establishment.
In 1841, in company with John Fox, Mr. Boardman
started in Wethersfield, in connection with a successful grocery business,
the first manufactory in New England, outside of Boston, for the roasting,
grinding, and packing of coffee and spices for the wholesale trade. This
partnership was dissolved in October, 1844, and January 1, 1845, Mr. Boardman
undertook the same business on his own account, which he removed in 1850
to Hartford, locating at No. 12 Central Row, where he associated with himself
his son, W. F. J. Boardman, under the firm name
of Wm. Boardman & Son. Steam power and modern machinery were introduced,
and the firm did a large business in several States of the Union, and especially
in New York City, where a considerable amount of the goods manufactured
were sold. The coffee used at the opening of the Crystal Palace in New
York, July 14, 1853, was furnished by them. Probably the first invoice
of ground and prepared coffee sent to California was from this firm. Still
larger accommodations being needed, the store and manufactory were removed,
in1853, from Central Row to what is now No. 241 State street. The building
was bought and fitted up with a twenty-five horse power engine, and with
all the new and improved machinery for the successful carrying on of the
business. At this time Mr. Boardman's second son, Thomas J., was admitted
to the firm, and its name was changed to Wm. Boardman & Sons. The building,
occupied, consisted of four stories, with a store-house of two stories
in the rear. In 1858, two stories in an adjoining building were leased,
and teas were added to the stock in trade. Travelling salesmen were employed,
and a large business was done throughout New York, New Hampshire, Vermont,
Massachusetts and Connecticut, thousands of chests being sold yearly. In
1867 the business was removed from No. 241 to No. 205 State street, corner
of Front, the old store being retained for the manufacturing and storage
of goods. This added four stories, 30x80 feet, to the space formerly occupied.
In 1871, the brown stone building, Nos. 298-306 Asylum street, was erected
for the business; it measured 52x100 feet, and was five stories high besides
a basement, with the manufactory in the rear of three stories, 30x40 feet.
The cost was over $100,000, and it was the finest private building then
in the city. The firm removed to it April 1, 1872, new machinery being
added, making it the most complete manufactory of its kind in New England.
Here they continued to do a large and successful business as wholesale
dealers and importers of teas, coffees and spices, and as dealers in cigars,
tobacco and grocers' sundries. On July 9, 1888, after the death of the
senior partner, William F. J. Boardman retired from the firm —the business
then for a time being carried on by the younger of his two sons, Thomas
J., and his son, Howard F., under the old firm name out of respect for
its founders. On Jan. 1, 1897, the business was incorporated under the
name of The Wm. Boardman & Sons Co., of which Thomas J. Boardman is
President; A. H. Bronson, Secretary, and H. F. Boardman, Treasurer.
William Boardman was interested in many enterprises
aside from his regular business. He, with the firm, was the builder of
several of the finest private structures in Hartford. He also, in company
with others, constructed several vessels of large size, one of which was
named the "William Boardman." He was one of the originators of and subscribers
to The Merrick Thread Co., of Holyoke. Mass., and one of its directors;
also of the Hartford and New York Steamboat Co., the Comstock & Ferre
Seed Co., Bank of Hartford County (American National), Merchants and Manufacturers
Bank (First National), Orient Fire Insurance Co., Mechanics Bank &
Building Association, and Hudson River Water Power & Paper Co. He was
an original subscriber to the stock of the City Fire Insurance Co., Merchants
Fire Insurance Co., Phoenix Fire Insurance Co., and Hartford Engineering
Co. In 1836, and for several years after, he was secretary and director
of the Wethersfield Mutual Fire Insurance Co. He also assisted in the formation
of many industries, both of a private and public character, and did much
to advance the interests of his adopted city. He settled many estates,
was a director in insurance companies, manufacturing corporations, and
banks. He was largely interested in proving the feasibility and cheapness
of peat as fuel. He was associated with Henry Martin in manufacturing the
first power machines for making-brick in this country; was general agent
and manager of the Holbrook School Apparatus Company for the manufacture
of instruments showing the revolutions of the solar system, and of other
instruments, connected with the education of children. He was president
of the Hartford Associated Coal Company, a company which was formed just
after the Civil War, to enable consumers to receive their coal at the cost
of mining, etc., which, owing to the general collapse in mercantile values,
did not prove a success. Mr. Boardman filled all these places of trust
with honor and fidelity. His advice was often sought in business and other
matters, and cheerfully and honestly given. He held other offices in earlier
life, such as State prison director in 1834, town constable and collector
in 1835-36-37, representative in the Legislature from Wethersfield in 1852,
where he was on several important committees, and was again appointed State
prison director, and also com missioner for Hartford county, by Gov. Thomas
H. Seymour. After his removal to Hartford, in 1858, he invariably refused
public office. He was a life-long Democrat, a firm Union man, and a subscriber
to The Hartford Times from 1820 to 1889. In 1858 he assisted J. M. Schofield
in establishing a Democratic journal, the Hartford Morning Post, now the
Hartford Evening Post, Republican in its politics. He was a member of the
Masonic fraternity and of the Odd Fellows, and in the latter organization
held the office of Noble Grand.
"Religiously, Mr. Boardman was a true child
of his Puritan ancestry." "To strict integrity, a careful frugality, a
true orthodoxy, he joined a clear religious experience." Both he and his
wife were brought up in the Congregational Church, but in early life became
deeply interested in the Methodist Episcopal Church, then in its infancy
in Wethersfield, where it was at first strongly opposed by many of the
townspeople, who adhered to the Congregational denomination. At one time
when they were refused the use of the town hall for religious services,
Mr. Boardman with others forced the doors in order to hold the meeting.
The excitement at that time was so great that the "riot" act was read to
the assembled crowd by Samuel Galpin, Esq., of Wethersfield. Mr. Boardman
and his wife united with the M. E. Church in 1838, and remained through
life its firm supporters. He helped to rebuild its church edifice, and
gave so liberally to the undertaking that, in gratitude to him, it was
named, at its re-dedication, Boardman Chapel. On removing to Hartford in
1858, their membership was transferred to the First Methodist Episcopal
Church there, of which Mr. Boardman was elected one of the trustees, and
when its new church edifice was erected on Asylum street, he was one of
the building committee, giving a large sum for the purpose. When the South
Park M. E. Church was organized in 1869, in the south part of the city,
Mr. and Mrs. Boardman joined the new movement, and were among the foremost
in the enterprise, he being appointed one of the trustees and a member
of the building committee. One of the acts of his later life was the payment
of the mortgage then on the church, thus relieving it of debt, and this
on the condition that there should never be another mortgage. He was elected
the first Sunday-school superintendent, continuing in that capacity until
infirmity and advancing age compelled his resignation. In 1885, after the
death of his wife, he built the Boardman Memorial Chapel, adjoining the
church, in remem-brance of her. It was dedicated Feb. 23, 1886.
The liberality of Mr. Boardman was great,
and the calls on his charity were many, and freely responded to. By his
will he made bequests to the Old People's Home, The Hartford Hospital,
The Larabee Fund, The Charitable Society of Hartford, The Fund for Superannuated
Preachers, the Board of Church Extension of the M. E. Church, and to the
Grant Memorial University of Athens, Tennessee.
On Jan. 3, 1828, Mr. Boardman was married
to Mary Francis, who was born in Wethersfield, Nov. 6, 1803, daughter of
Capt. Daniel and Mehitabel (Goodrich) Francis, and granddaughter of Capt.
John Francis and Capt. Elizur Goodrich, both soldiers of the Revolution.
Mr. Boardman's married life was a long and happy one, extending through
more than fifty-six years. His wife was a woman remarkable for her kindness
of heart and her whole-souled liberality. She was never happier than when
doing something for the help and comfort of others, and her husband took
care that she should never lack the means for her benefactions. She was
interested in all good works, both public and private, and the extent to
which she aided them will never be known, for she was unassuming in all
her bounties. During the Civil war, she took great interest in the condition
of the soldiers, and was one of the managers of the Soldiers' Aid Association.
But it was as the kind and tender wife and mother that she found her chief
happiness, and the best monument and witness to her excellence has been
the reverent and unforgetting affection of her husband and children. She
died Dec. 14, 1884, at the age of eighty-one. Her line of ancestry was
Daniel (V) John (IV), John (III), John (11), Robert (I). Mr. Boardman survived
his wife for nearly three years, and died November 3, 1887, in his eighty-third
year. Their children, all of whom were born in Wethersfield, were: William
Francis Joseph and Thomas Jefferson, both mentioned later; Arethusa Maria
and Alpheus Francis, both deceased in early childhood; Mary Lucinda, born
in 1841, married, in 1870, George W. Atwood: and Emma Jennette, born in
1846, died in 1860.
(VII) WILLIAM F. J. BOARDMAN, of Hartford,
Conn., son of William and Mary (Francis) Boardman, was born in Wethersfield,
Dec. 12, 1828. He was married Jan. 7, 1852, by the Rev. Horace Bushnell,
D. D., in the North Congregational Church in Hartford, to Jane Maria Greenleaf,
born in Hartford Aug. 9, 1835, youngest daughter of Dr. Charles and Electa
(Toocker) Greenleaf. Mrs. Boardman died Aug. 20, 1899, aged 64 years. "The
world was better for her having lived."
Mr. Boardman received his education in the
public schools of his native town, graduating from the Wethersfield Academy
in the Spring of 1846. On leaving school he entered the Coffee and Spice
Manufactory of his father, in Wethersfield, to learn the business in detail.
Four years later, upon the removal of the business to Hartford, he was
admitted into partnership with his father, under the firm name of William
Boardman & Son. In 1853, his brother Thomas J. was admitted a member
and the corporate name changed to William Boardman & Sons. This business
connection continued with uninterrupted success for thirty-eight years.
After many years of close application to business, Mr. Boardman's health
became seriously impaired and he found it necessary to take a rest from
its cares, at one time going abroad to seek the benefit of travel and change.
The result was not entirely successful, and, as a matter of physical necessity,
he concluded, after his return, to abandon all business activity, which
he did by selling to his brother his entire interest in the old firm, July
9, 1888, after an experience of forty-two years. Mr. Boardman has never
sought political office or favor. In 1861 he was chosen a director of the
State Bank of Hartford, serving in that capacity during the war of the
Rebellion, giving to the institution the same conscientious attention that
he did to his own business. In 1863, he was elected a member of the Hartford
Common Council from the old Third ward, in which he was a member of the
highways committee and chairman of the committee on the horse railroad,
then being constructed, also serving on other committees.
During his business life, Mr. Boardman has
been actively engaged in promoting and establishing many business eterprises,
among which are the Hartford and New York Steamboat Company, The Merrick
Thread Company of Holyoke, Mass., The Hudson River Water Power and Paper
Co. of Mechanicsville, N. Y., as well as many other undertakings in which
he shared an equal interest in common with the other members of his firm.
He has helped young men to establish themselves in business and assist-ed
others in these affairs. He has served on commissions, settled estates,
operated in real estate considerably, attended to the construction of some
of the best buildings of his adopted city, and has generally led an active
Mr. Boardman was one of the original members
of the Putnam Phalanx at its organization in 1859, and still retains his
connection with this well known Military Battalion. He is a life member
of the Connecticut Historical Society, a life member of the Wethersfield
Society Library, a member of the Topsfield Historical Society of Massachusetts,
the society of the Sons of the American Revolution, and of the Connecticut
Society of the Order of the Founders and Patriots of America, through both
lines of his ancestry. He was admitted a member at its organization May
9, 1896, and chosen one of its councillors, and later elected Genealogist
of the Order. Mr. Boardman has devoted much time and money in collecting
and preserving records relating to the Boardman Family, including originals
relating to each of his New England ancestors. In 1895 he published "The
Boardman Genealogy 1525-1895," a, work of nearly 800 pages. He has also
published "The Francis-Goodrich-Boardman" Genealogy in his line of ancestry.
"A memorial to the Memory of William Boardman and Mary Francis" and a "Complete
Record of the Wethersfield Inscriptions in the Five Burial Places in that
Ancient Town." He has nearly ready for publication, "The Record of the
Ancestry of William Boardman and Mary Francis, showing their allied lines
of descent through forty families who settled in New England prior to 1650,
with short biographical sketches of each ancestor.''
Jane Maria (Greenleaf) Boardman was a de-scendant
in the ninth generation from Capt. Edmund Greenleaf, who was born in England,
and emigrated to New England with his family in 1635, and settled in Newbury,
Mass. He was one of the first settlers or founders of Newbury, and was
granted 122 acres in the first division of land there in 1635. From all
that can be gathered, it is believed that his ancestors were Huguenots.
On the parish records of St. Mary's la Tour in Ipswich, County of Suffolk,
England, is recorded "Edmund Greenleaf, son of John and Margaret, was baptized
January 2, 1574." Edmund Greenleaf married Sarah Dole, and by her had nine
children whose names appear on the record of St. Mary's la Tour above mentioned,
all born in England. Mr. Greenleaf lived near the old town bridge in Newbury,
where for some years he kept a tavern. He was admitted a freeman March
13, 1639, and on May 22, of the same year, he was "permitted to keep a
house of entertainment." He was by trade a silk dyer. About 1650, he moved
to Boston where his wife Sarah died January 18, 1663. He died there March
24, 1671, aged about ninety-seven years. In 1637, Capt. Greenleaf commanded
a company which marched against the Indians. On Nov. 5, 1639, he was made
ensign of the company at Newbury, and in 1642 lieutenant of Massachusetts
Provincial Forces. In 1644 he was an "Ancient and experienced Lieut. under
Capt. William Gerrish," was captain in 1644, and head of the Militia under
Gerrish, and November 11, 1647, at his own request, was discharged from
military service being in the seventy-fourth year of his age. Jane M. (Greenleaf)
Boardman's line of descent is Dr. Charles (VIII), Dr. David (VII), David
(VI), Dr. Daniel (V), Rev. Daniel (IV), Capt. Stephen (III), Capt. Stephen
(II). Capt. Edmund (I).
(VII) THOMAS JEFFERSON BOARDMAN, son of William
and Mary (Francis) Boardman, was born in Wethersfield, Conn., May 27, 1832,
and received his education in the district school and academy of the town,
and at the Wesleyan Academy at Wilbraham, Mass. Having finished his education,
he returned to Wethersfield, preferring a business to a professional life.
He began as clerk in a country store in New Britain, remaining till the
failure of the concern in 1850. He then accepted a position with his father
and brother in Hartford, and later, in 1853, he was admitted to the firm.
In this he remained a partner till after the death of his father, and the
retirement of his brother July 9, 1888, when he, with his son, Howard F.,
continued the business under the old firm name until Jan. 1, 1897. It was
then incorporated as The Wm. Boardman & Sons Company, of which he became,
and is still President, his son, Howard F., being Treasurer, and Arthur
H. Bronson, Secretary. He is also President of The Wholesale Grocers Association
of Southern New England.
Mr. Boardman has often been urged to accept
public office, but has always declined, preferring to give his entire time
and energy to his business. He was brought up a Methodist, but in early
life became a convert to the Universalist faith, uniting with that church
in 1863. He was long connected with the Sunday-school, as teacher, assistant
superintendent, and president of the Teachers' Association, and was for
many years a worker in the church, as a member of its board of trustees
and one of its chief supporters. He was also for many years on the State
Missionary Board of the Universalist Church, and trustee for the State
of Connecticut in the Universalist Publishing House in Boston. He has had
an equal interest with his father and brother in the business enterprises
in which they were concerned.
Thomas J. Boardman married October 14, 1858,
Julia Amanda Ellis, of Hartford, who was born January 29, 1838, and died
November 24, 1858. He married (second) October 24, 1861, Mary Charlina
Ellis, sister of his first wife, born September 11, 1843. She died Jan.
16, 1890. He married (third) April 29, 1893, Mary Adah Simpson, daughter
of Frederick H. Simpson, of Staten Island, New York. Mr. Boardman's children
were Howard F., Emma Julia, Minnie Gertrude, William Ellis, Thomas Bradford
(born March 9, 1895) and George Francis (born May 31, 1896). He is a member
of the Connecticut Historical Society, of the Society of the Sons of the
American Revolution, the Connecticut Society of the Order of the Founders
and Patriots of America through both lines of his ancestry, and historian
of the last named Society.
(VIII) WILLIAM GREENLEAF BOARDMAN, only-child
of William F. J. and Jane Maria (Greenleaf) Boardman, was born in Hartford,
Conn., June 29, 1853. He married Oct. 29, 1874, Eliza Fowler Root, born
May 11, 1853, the daughter of Horatio and Abigail Whittier (Hussey) Root,
of Hartford, the latter a cousin of the poet John Greenleaf Whittier. Mr.
Boardman was educated at Mr. Hart's preparatory school in Farmington, Mr.
Hall's Classical School in Ellington, and the Hartford high school. He
is a life member of the Connecticut Historical Society, a member of the
Sons of the American Revolution, and a member of The Connecticut Society
of the Order of the Founders and Patriots of America. He was formerly connected
with the firm of Wm. Boardman & Sons Co., but has been obliged to give
up business on account of trouble with his eyes. The children born to William
G. Boardman and his wife are: Francis Whittier, born April 6, 1876, Cedric
Root, born Jan. 23, 1886, and Dorothy Root, born April 26, 1889. They reside
(VIII) HOWARD FRANCIS BOARDMAN, son of Thomas
J. and Mary C. (Ellis) Boardman, was born in Hartford, Conn., Sept. 22,
1862, married Jan. 12, 1886, to Catherine Augusta Belcher, born June 16,
1866, in 1866, in New York City, daughter of Charles and Katherine (Slater)
Belcher. Howard F. was graduated from the Hartford high school in 1880.
He is secretary of The Wm. Boardman & Sons Co., and socially a member
of the Connecticut Society of the Order of the Founders and Patriots of
America. Mr. and Mrs. Boardman have had two children: Harold Ellis, born
Nov. 16, 1890, died the same day; and Mariel Wildes, born May 31, 1893.
(Two photos attached)
J. H. Beers & Co.
pgs 16 - 23