Nearby Place names
Village of Dysart is located on the East 1/2 section 9- township 23-range 15 West of the 2nd meridian.
Rural Municipality of Lipton #217
For more information:Dysart and District Museum
is housed in the historic brick school in Dysart, Saskatchewan.
Dysart Historical Society
Qu'Appelle Ave, Dysart, SK S0G 1H0
1st and 2nd editions of the Dysart History books for sale at Dysart MuseumDysart and District
Winning the Prairie Gamble. Family History Album.Dysart and District Museum
Tourism Saskatchewan CanadaDysart School
Canadian Heritage Site. Canada's Historic Places.Cupar and District Heritage Museum One Room SchoolhousesGranatier SD 1497St. Imre SD 1233Dysart and District museum school photos
From the local history / family biography book entitled: Dysart and District Yesterday and Today Second Edition.
Compiled and published by Dysart History Book Committee. Printed by Friesen's Corporation. History Book Division. Altona, Manitoba. 2010. ISBN 978-1-55383-268-3
School Map used with permission
- CANTERBURY SCHOOL District 3345 held their first school meeting in the early summer of 1914. Mr. Frank Matthew became the first teacher at the school which is shown on them map in the south west corner of the south west quarter of section 17. CANTERBURY closed after the 1960 school term ended.
- DYSART SCHOOL DISTRICT 1449 was built on December 5, 1905 on the north east corner of the north east quarter of section 9 township 23 range 15.west of the second meridian according to the map. In 1917 a new two room school was built where the Dysart elementary school is located, the school had additions built on in 1927 and 1928. In 1960, a new school went up on the west side of Dysart for future use in education. In 1983 the original brick school house was converted into a museum.
- GARDINER SCHOOL DISTRICT 3428 came together in 1914 to establish their school district. The school opened in the spring of 1915 under John Axenty straddling the south west corner of the south west quarter of section 4 and the south east corner of the south east quarter of section 5 township [not given on map] range 15. Classes finished in 1960 at the one room school house. In 1962, the school land and school house were sold.
- KRONSBERG ROMAN CATHOLIC PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT 48 erected their first school house on the south east quarter of section 34 township 21 range 15 west of the second meridian. This log school house was erected in the summer of 1898 before Saskatchewan became a province, and the school was part of the North West Territories. This first school was a log building, which was replaced by a brick school on the north east quarter of section 27 township 21 range 15 west of the second meridian. It was in 1931, when the school name changed to KRONSBERG SCHOOL DISTRICT 4922. The log school was sold, and the brick school burned down in January of 1955. A new school was constructed and used until the end of the school term in 1964.
- MCDONALD HILLS SCHOOL DISTRICT 1646 sent in their school petition in the summer of 1906. The school house was erected that autumn on the sout heast corner of the north east quarter of section 33 township 24 range 15 west of the second meridian. The first teacher on record was Maud Taylor in 1908. In 1947 the one room school house building was sold, and a new school erected which was used until the end of the school year in June of 1960.
- PARKLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT 268 residents held their first meeting in January of 1893. PARKLAND school was a log school building on the north eastern quarter of section 20 township 22 range 14 west of the second meridian, and Mr. Ball was the first teacher. A new school was needed, and it was on a new site across the creek from the first school yard, the new site set at north east quarter of section 24 township 22 range 15 west of the second meridian. PARKLAND closed June 1960.
- RADANT SCHOOL DISTRICT 3474 organised in January of 1915, building a school house on the north west quarter of section 17 township 22. Miss Edith England began teaching June 1, 1915. This school served until 1950, when a new school was erected which remained open until 1960 when RADANT School closed. The school house was sold.
- SAMBOR SCHOOL DISTRICT came together to organize in 1914.The school remained open until 1960 about seven and a half miles north of Dysart. The map shows the location as the south west corner of the south west quarter section 1 township [not given] range 15. The biographical stories of the ratepayers mentioned on the map mention homesteading township 23. The school district listing at Regina Provincial Archives records township 24. As the local history book mentions that Dysart is to the south, this would make the school house location at township 24 to be north of Dysart (East 1/2 section 9- township 23-range 15 West of the 2nd meridian)
- WESTLEA SCHOOL DISTRICT 4356 residents held their first meeting in February of 1918. The school site chosen was the north east quarter of section 33 township 24 range 14 west of the second meridian. Classes began in the spring of 1919. Before this time students had attended HEADLANDS school, some children living four to six miles away. School trustees met with councillors from the Kelross Rm No. 217 until it changed names to the Rural Municipality of Lipton No. 217 in 1920. The school house was opened in the spring of 1921 under Miss Whiteford following negotiations with the surrounding districts, MCDONALD HILLS and HEADLANDS. The final school year was 1960.