The school opened in 1891 west of Regina in what is now a growing industrial area. Like residential schools, industrial schools were used to strip aboriginal children of their culture, while enforcing Western ideals.
After the school closed in 1910, it served as the city jail, then the province's home for delinquent boys. In 1948, the school burned to the ground. Now, a portion of the property is home to the Paul Dojak Youth Centre