NL GenWeb Newspaper Records

NL GenWeb Newspaper Records


September 1875 - July 1876

(MF # 3448)

Express published Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday at the Express Office opposite the Commercial Rooms, Duckworth Street, St. John’s, Newfoundland. James Seaton, Editor & Proprietor

Issues missing #100,107,144, 119,129 for 1875

#1,3,11,12,14,16,18,24,26,27,28,34,36,43,44,46 for 1876.

Transcribed by Beverly Warford  While I have endeavored to be as correct as humanly possible, there could be some typographical errors.
Submitted courtesy of Family Tree Group Grand Falls - Windsor NL


 Sept 7, 1875


At St. George’s Church, Buiff Bay, Portland, Jamaica, on the 15th ult., by the Rev. C. MELVILLE, Captain McBRIDE, 98th Regiment, son of James McBRIDE, Esq., of Edinburgh, to Naomi Margaret KATE, youngest daughter of the late Colonel Louis J.A. ARINIT, Royal Engineers. - The Weekly Scotsman, Aug 21.


Died at Bonavista, on the 15th August Michael CARROL, Esq., of the firm of Messrs. Clift, Wood & Co., of this place , aged 37 years.

Suddenly at Toronto, on the 19th August., Mr. Cawley C. MAYNE, Printer, a native of Harbor Grace, whilst in St John’s, in 1873-4. Mr. MAYNE acted as Reporter for the Morning Chronicle newspaper.

At. Charlotte Town, P.E. Island, on the 17th August, aged 78 years, Jas. Douglas HASZARD, Esq., formerly Queen’s Printer of that Island.

Sept 14, 1875

Last Saturday night a young man named Thomas KELLY, from the South Side, was out on the Bay Bulls road, about two miles from town, where he met a man named, William GORMAN, passing homewards along that road, and some altercation taking place between them. GORMAN struck KELLY a severe blow on the head with a stone, fracturing his skull. He was conveyed by some companions to Dr. RENOUF’s surgery, from which after dressing his wound, which he found dangerous, the Doctor had him conveyed to the hospital, where he lies in a dangerous condition, there being but little hope of his recovery. GORMAN is in custody and the matter is undergoing investigation in the Police Court.

Sept 15, 1875

The S.S. Commodore, Capt. WHELAN and the S.S. Mantiff, Capt. BARRY, left for the coast of Labrador - the former on Tuesday and the later on Wednesday last. Both these steamers are intended to load early cargoes of herring for the American market. The S.S. Vangnard. Capt. BAILEY, sailed for the same destination on Friday last. And we are glad to be informed that several sailing vessels are also preparing to follow, to load similar cargoes.

Sept 17, 1875

The Steamers Leopard, from the Northward, and Tiger, from the Westward, arrived on Wednesday evening. Their accounts of the fishery are not so encouraging as could be wished, especially to the westward of Placentia Bay. The scarcity of bait, is generally complained of.

Oct 2, 1875

We regret to learn that the steamer Ariel, employed by the Government for conveying the mails along the coast of Labrador, was wrecked at Red Bay on the 12th current, having struck on Thistle rock while entering the Bay. After considerable exertion by her master and crew, aided by Capt. PENNEY and others, who came off to render assistance, she was got off at high water the following morning, but leaked so badly that she had to be run aground in a cove called Capstan Cove; crew, passengers and mails saved. The master and crew have arrived here. The Government have arranged to dispatch the steamer Walrus for the Labrador, for the last trip for the season, to make the round of the coast. She leaves to-day, mails closing at the Post Office at half past nine o’clock a.m.

Oct 5, 1875

Passengers - Per Hibernian from Liverpool - Mr. J. MURRAY and wife, Mrs. ROBERTSON and two children, Mrs. PATTERSON and two children, Miss HENLEY, Rev. P. HOLLAND, Mr. WARREN, and 2 in steerage.

For Halifax - Mr. J.W. PHILLIPS, wife and child, Mrs. BRYDEN and child, Miss LEWIS, Rev. T. HARRIS, Rev. Mr. MILLIGAN, Hon. J.J. ROGERSON, Messrs. ADAMS, LOUIS, McLEAN and 26 in steerage.

Oct 18, 1875

The steamer Merlin was offered for sale by auction in the Commercial Sale Room on Saturday last, and purchased by Alexander McKAY, Esq., for 4,500 pounds.

H.M.S. Eclipse, Captain ERSKINE, having arrived from the Labrador coast, will shortly leave for Bermuda.

Oct 29, 1875

Marriage - On the 27th inst., at the Roman Catholic Cathedral, by the Rev. W.J. FITZPATRICK, Mr. James POWER, to Mary Joseph, eldest daughter of Mr. David BENNETT.

Oct 30, 1875


On Tuesday afternoon, the 26th inst., after a short illness, John Wesley CHANCEY, aged 57 years.

On Thursday, after a short illness, Mr. Richarad CARNELL, aged 50 years, fifth son of the late Mr. John CARNELL. His funeral will take place from his late residence, George’s Street, on to-morrow (Sunday) afternoon, at quarter to four o’clock when friends are respectfully invited to attend.

On Thursday evening, after a short illness, Alice, beloved wife of Mr. John POWER, native of Tipperary, Ireland, aged 67 years. Her funeral will take place on to-morrow, (Sunday) at 2 o’clock, from her late residence, Signal Hill road, when friends and acquaintances of the family are respectfully requested to attend.

Nov 4, 1875


On Thursday morning, 25th ult., at St. Joseph’s Chapel, by the Rev. W. J. FITZPATRICK, assisted by the Rev. P.J. DELANEY, David W. O’MARA, Stipendiary Magistrate of Ferryland, to Mary Eliza, only daughter of George G. GEDDES, Esq.

At the residence of the bride’s father, October 31, by the Rev. J. RYAN, Mr. M.J. COONEY, to Mary Ann, eldest daughter of Mr. Thomas RAFTUS.


At Renews, on the 23 rd inst., Mary , beloved wife of Charles McCARTHY, of that place, aged 45 years.

Nov 5, 1875


At the Wesleyan Church, Brigus, on Tuesday last, by the Rec. C. LADNER, assisted by Rev. W. S. SHENSTONE, Captain S. W. BARTLEE, of steamer Micmac, to Maggie J., daughter of J. WILCOX, Esq., Stipendiary Magistrate.

Nov 12, 1875

S.S. Valetta from Montreal to Messrs. Harvey & Co arrived on Wednesday night, bringing a cargo of provisions and sundries . Ledger.

S.S. Hercules arrived yesterday morning from Bett’s Cove mine having on board Mr. ELLERHAUSON. The S.S. Northbury, which was loading there had to go to sea the first of this week as the ground swell was so heavy at the wharf, as to prevent her laying there in safety. We understand that mining operations are progressing favorably. It is estimated that about 80,000 pounds worth of copper will be raised there this year. About 300 persons are now living there.


On the 5th inst., the wife of Staff Commander G. ROBINSON, R.N., of a son.


On the 26th October, at Sherwood, Annapolis, Maryland, by the Rev. T.M. DASHCELLS, D.D., Sames Madeson INGLISH, Esq., to Fanny DROVAR, third daughter of the Rev. W.K. WHITE Rural Dean, Harbor Briton, Newfoundland.

On Saturday night last, at the Wesleyan Parsonage, by the Rev. Mr. DUNN, Mr. Robert Albert WETHERDON, to Miss Elizabeth Maud Josephine BENNETT, both of this town. (Halifax papers please copy).


On Tuesday morning, after a short illness, Patrick William, only son of W.P. WALSH, Esq., aged 5 years and 3 months.

Nov 20, 1875

Sinking of the Lizzie

This steamer sunk in Harbour Grace on Monday night last as she lay in the harbour, We have not particulars of the disaster, but we understand it arose from neglect of the engineer in leaving one of the sea-cocks open. The vessel lies in about five fathoms of water. We presume measures will be adopted as promptly as possible to raise her; but in any case her services will be lost to the public for the remainder of the season. This is a matter of serious importance at a time when the intercourse between St. John’s and Conception Bay is greater than at any other period of the year. We are not aware as to the arrangements contemplated to meet this contingency, but, doubtless the best practicable alternative will be provided to conserve the important interests affected by the ontoward event. The Cabot went from here to the Bay on Wednesday with passengers and mails and returned yesterday - we hear she leaves again to-day on the same route. But of course some definite arrangements will be made without delay. - Newfoundlander of Friday.


At Hurst Cottage, Sutton, Surrey, on the 24th October, William Piers THOMAS, Esq., aged 52 years, only son of the late Henry Phillips THOMAS, Esq., formerly of St. John’s.

On Wednesday evening, the 17th instant, after a lingering illness, Mary Louise, third daughter of Mr. George LANGMEAD, watch-maker, aged 13 years.


Per Caspian from Halifax - Mrs. CORBETT and 3 children,Mr. BARNSTEAD and infant, Miss MUNDEN, Miss REED, Miss J. COOPER, Capt. A. MUNDEN, Messrs. LINTON, POPHAM, BACKSTRAIN, MCDOUGALL, HALE, IRVIN, RENNIE, SIMMS, BARNETT and 23 in steerage.

Per Caspian for Liverpool - Mr. And Mrs. LONDONG, 2 children and servant, Mrs. ORWIN and 2 children, Mrs. WARRINGTON, Mrs. W.A. JACKMAN and 4 children, Messrs. STACEY, BLANCHFORD, McMILLAN and 5 in steerage.

Nov 24, 1875

Died at his resident, Mount Cashel, Torbay Road, on Monday 22nd inst., after a protracted illness, Richard HOWLEY, Esq., in the 71st year of his age. He came to this country from Ireland in 1819, was for many years connected with its trade as a merchant, and had been, for several years previous to his death, the acting Financial Secretary of the colony.


Per George Cremmell, from New York - W. MARSHALL, and 11 in steerage.

Nov 26, 1875


By the Rev. Thomas McGRATH, at the Roman Catholic Cathedral, Mr. Philip DOYLE, of Petty Harbor, to Honorah, second daughter of the late Captain James ASPELL.

On the 23rd inst., by the Rev. Mr. HARRIS, Thomas PERRY, of Indian Islands, to Ann, youngest daughter of Mr. John TUFF, of Ochrepit Cove.

At the R. C. Cathedral, on the 23rd inst., by the Rev. T.B. MCGRATH, John P. MURPHY, of Catalina, to Mary Frances, second daughter of the late John KOUGH, of Bonavista.

Dec 3, 1975

Sea Disaster

The reported loss of life at Pouch Cove, re regret to find, is fully confirmed; and, in addition, there was another vessel wrecked the same night, on Biscayen rock, about a mile N.E. of Cape St. Francis, the Hopewell, of Harbor Main, JOY Master, which left this port, with a cargo of provisions, on Monday afternoon, and struck on Biscayen rock in the snow storm about three o’clock the following morning. There were eight persons on board, including two of the master’s brothers, seven of whom perished. One man name WAUGH clambered up on the rock, where he was observed from on board the steamer Hercules, while proceeding with mails for Conception Bay, at 12 o’clock, and taken off by a boat’s crew from that vessel, after 3 ½ hours’ strenuous exertions, the sea running high, and the boat having had to return to the steamer twice for lines to be thrown to him to enable them to pull him through the surf, the first line proving unsuitable, and the second, a fishing line, to which a jigger was attached, having parted from chafing on the rocks; with the third line the boat’s crew succeeded in conveying to him a life preserver, which he put on , and with the line lashed round his waist he threw himself into the sea and pulled towards the boat, taken on board, and conveyed to the steamer in an exhausted state, but soon recovered from the restoratives applied by Captain BLANDFORD of the Hercules, whose exertions and those of his crew were above all praise.

The sub joined letter from the Revd. Reginald M. JOHNSON, of Pouch Cove, we copy from the Times: -

Parsonage, Pouch Cove, Nov 30, ‘75

To the Editor of the Times

Dear Sir, - We had a frightful wreck here last night. The schooner Waterwitch, from St. John’s, to and belonging to Cupids, in the Bay, total loss. There were 25 souls on board, - out of which we saved only 13. I was on the spot soon after the terrible news reached the houses, and helped to haul up the survivors. Every man was hauled up fast to about 100 fathoms line, as the wreck could not be approached. We could hear their cries all night below us. It was frightful! The people have behaved nobly. Apply to Messrs. BOWRING for trustworthy list, which I have forwarded them, of lost and saved. Will probably write to you again.

In much haste and trouble,

Yours truly,

Reginald M. JOHNSON.

P.S. - Skipper’s name, Samuel SPRACKLIN - saved.

The subjoined are the names of the lost and saved: - Lost - Moses SPRACKLIN, Jonathan SPRACKLIN, William SPRACKLIN, Elizabeth SPRACKLIN, Amelia SPRACKLIN, Priscella SPRACKLIN, Samuel WELLS, Richard WELLS, Elias FORD, George IVANY, Solomon TAYLOR, Joanna CROKE.

SAVED - Samuel SPRACKLIN, Thos. IVANY, Henry W. SPRACKLIN, Samuel ROW, Henry IVANY, Samuel P. SPRACKLIN, Thomas NOSERY, Thomas SPRACKLIN, William WELLS, Richard FORD, George WELLS, James H. WELLS, William E. SPRACKLIN.

Dec 4, 1875

We understand the bodies of eleven of the twelve persons who perished at Pouch Cove have been recovered. We copy the subjoined from the Newfoundlander of yesterday, relative to the prompt action of the Government in the matter: -

The Rev. Mr. JOHNSON wrote to the Government informing them of the casualty, and early on Wednesday morning sleighs were dispatched to Pouch Cove, taking down Mr. LILLY, Clerk of the Peace, with Mr. DUNPHY of the Poor Office, to do all that the exigency demanded. In the evening accordingly the thirteen survivors were brought on here, and at the same time seven bodies of the dead that were recovered. The living were cared for at lodgings, and the dead being coffined, were placed in the Drill Shed. They are all, both living and dead, being sent to Cupids at the desire of the survivors, by the steamer Cabot to-day.

We need hardly say a feeling of the deepest sympathy has been __roused in every breast by those dreadful losses, and we trust the proverbial charity of our community will be extended to those whose claims now present so forcible an appeal.

Court News

In the Supreme Court, during the present term, Margaret SMITH was tried on an Indictment of the murder of her illegitimate child, immediately after its birth; and found guilty by the Jury of concealment of birth; James GORMAN, against whom the Grand Jury found a true bill for manslaughter, was tried and convicted, and James SHAW, tried for bigamy, was also convicted. On Wednesday last, at the opening of the Court, they were brought up for sentence, when Margaret SMITH was sentenced to one year and nine months imprisonment in the Penitentiary, with hard labour. James GORMAN, who had been recommended to mercy by the jury, to five months imprisonment form date of committal, with hard labour. James SHAW to siix months imprisonment, with hard labour, and at the expiry of thereof, to be banished for five years; and if found in the country within that time, to be further imprisoned with hard labour for two years.


On the 28th ult., the wife of James T. SMITH, Esq., of a daughter.

Married: at the R.C. Cathedral on the 20th Nov., by the Rev. T. McGRATH, Mr. Timothy St. JOHN, youngest son of Philip St. John, Esq., to Katie, only daughter of T. FOSTER, Esq.

On the 24th Nov. at the R.C. Cathedral, by the Rev. T. McGRATH, Mr. Henry HUNT, to Bridget, only daughter of Mr. William WALSH.

On Thursday, Dec. 2nd, at St. Thomas’s Church, by the Rev. A.F. WOOD, Mr. William COLLIS, formerly of Trinity, to Martha Jane, third daughter of Mr. John MAIDMENT, of Trinity.

At Brooklyn, New York, Nov. 20th, at the Church of Our Lady of Mercy, by the Rev. James MacELROY?, Francis Emile Monta__ats, Esq., of Bourleaux, France, to Isabel Mary, eldest daughter of the late John Stephenson, Esq., Ferryland, Sheriff of the Southern District.

On the 18th ult., at the Church of Saint Barnabas, Bay-de-Verds, by the Rev. G. S. CHAMBERLAIN, Mr. Peter PRYOR, to Jemina, second daughter of Mr. James JACOBS.

On the 25th ult., at the Church of Saint Barnabas, Bay-de-Verds, by the Rev. G.S. CHAMBERLAIN, Mr. James DUFFETT, to Miss Emily SPARKES, of Lower Island Cove.

At Little Placentia on the 27th ult., by the Rev. R. BRENNAN, Joseph LYNCH, Esq., of Little Placentia, to Mary, the last daughter of the late Richard HEALY, Esq., of Fox Harbor.

Also, Mr. George PUTT, of St. John’s, to Mary Jane, third daughter of Mr. Maurice McCUE of Fox Harbor.


On the 27th Nov. at the residence of his brother, Dr. DEARIN, after a protracted illness of over twelve months, which he bore with truly Christian resignation to the Divine will, William Pinsent DEARIN, late of Boston, U.S., aged 60 years.

On the 28th Nov., Mr. Edward COUSENS, a native of Stockenham, Devon, England, aged 46 years.

On Tuesday evening, 30th Nov. after a lingering illness, borne with meekness and patience, and submissively reconciled to the will of the Most High: Minnie A., youngest daughter of Florence and Catherine CANTWELL, in the 18th year of her age.

On Wednesday evening last, after a short illness, borne with Christian resignation to the Divine will, Jessie, the beloved wife of Mr. Daniel CANE, aged 33 years.

On Saturday last, at Shediac, N.B., aged 27 years, Mr. Thomas C. GEDDES, third son of George G. GEDDES, Esq., of this town.

On Sunday, 21st Nov. at Renews, after a protracted illness of three years, which he bore with truly Christian resignation to the Divine will, Mr. Jame (sic) DUTTON, aged 76 years, deeply regretted by all who knew him.

At Brigus, (south) Nov. 22d, after a lingering illness, borne with Christian resignation to the Divine will, Mr. Joseph POWER aged 65 years.

At Great Jarvois, Fortune Bay, on Wednesday, Dec. 1, aged 39 years, William OLIVER, son of the late Rev. Oliver ROUSE of Bay-de-Verds, and grandson of the Rev. James Martin ROUSE of Devon, England.

At Brigus, on Tuesday, 30th inst., after a short illness, Jane, beloved wife of Mr. James DALEY, aged 35 years.


Per Hiberaian from Halifax - Mrs. BUCHANAN, Messrs. W.H. ROSS, T.E. McDOUGALL, A. RUSSELL, E. SAMPSON, John PRIM, S.A. EARLE, G.R. CARSON, G. MORTON, J.A. VAUGH, James McDONALD and 20 in steerage.

Per Hiberaian for Liverpool - Mrs. DUDER and Miss DUDER, Mrs. BOWDEN, Miss ROBINSON, Miss Selina ROBINSON, Miss E. ROBINSON, Messrs. G. BOWRING, C.F. NICHOLLE, W.P. MUNN, James J. GRIEVE, W.H. BURNETT, J.E.B. LLOYD, BENDELL, Henry BOND and 2 in steerage.

Dec 10, 1875

Loss the the Schrs. "Hopewell and Waterwitch" and nineteen lives

Two most distressing marine disasters, involving the loss of nineteen lives, with long make memorable the storm of last Monday night. The early part of the evening was moderate enough and about four o’clock a craft called the Hopewell left here for Harbor main with eight souls on board and a quantity of provisions, Towards dark a gale sprung up with heavy snow-drift, and at eight o’clock it was at height of its fury. The Hopewell ran on Biscan Rock, near Cape St. Francis, and in a very short time was broken up, all on board but one man going down to a watery grave. The survivor, named WAUGH, got on to a rock and there he remained all night and a great part of next day. When the Hercules neared the spot, on her round to Conception Bay, about noon on Tuesday, this poor fellow was s een waving a handkerchief; and Capt. BLANDFORD, of the Hercules, promptly manned a boat and sent her with a strong crew to effect his rescue. The waves ran so high at the time that they could not get near enough to throw a line within WAUGH’s hold, and a second and third attempt were made before they succeeded in reaching him with a rope and life-preserver. After three hours spent in the utmost endeavors for his safety, WAUGH was pulled off on board the Hercules in most exhausted condition, but at all events, saved by the heroic efforts of Capt. BLANDFORD and his crew.

The Waterwitch which left here for Cupids, soon after the Hopewell, struck in the neighborhood, of Cape St. Francis also, much about the same time. There were twenty-five persons on board, and of these twelve, eight men and four women, went down with the vessel. The following letter from Rev. Mr. Johnson, Church of England Minister at Pouch Cove, shows how the survivors of the Waterwitch escaped and no praise can exceed the merits of the Pouch Cove people in the saving of these poor creatures and the care and tenderness with which they succored them. (See same letter under date of Dec 3, 1875).

Loss of the Waterwitch

(From the Public Ledger)

At a later hour on Monday night last, a man named LANGMEAD, living at the extreme north of the village of Pouch Cove, was aroused by shouts from some persons near his house. Lighting a lamp, and partially dressing himself, he opened the door, and discovered three men, wet and well nigh exhausted, who proved to be the captain and two of the crew of the fore-and-after Waterwitch, of Cupids, He soon learned from them that sad news that their vessel had gone a shore in an adjacent cove, that a number of the crew had perished, but that some were still clinging to the rocks. Getting the half-dead men into the house, and seeing them comfortably disposed of, LANGMEAD immediately started up the settlement, rousing the inmates of the various houses as he went along, and telling them what had happened. It was not long before most of the persons on the north side of Pouch Cove, were up and many prepared to start, some by boat, and others by land, for the scene of the disaster.

This is a deep and narrow inlet or gulch about a mile and a half to the north-east of Pouch Cove, well-called the "Horrid Gulch". In it the water is deep right to the foot of the shore, which is very steep. On the north side and at the "bight" of the gulch the rocks run up almost perpendicularly to the heights of six hundred feet as against them the sea dashes with tremendous force - on the north side they are somewhat less precipitous, and a narrow ledge runs close to the water’s edge. On this ledge it was that the captain, his son, and two men jumped, the others who were saved being on the other side in a position that I shall presently describe. Immediately opposite the ledge I have mentioned a peaked shelving rocks rises, evidently broken off from and close to the perpendicular cliff, the first party of rescuers started from the village about one in the morning, and reached the spot where the captain and his party had landed, and where he had left his son to keep in good heart the poor creatures on the other side of the gulch. Arrived there they could hear through the darkness and drift, the screeches of those so near them, whom they were so powerless to help; and endeavored by their shorts of encouragement to give them assurance that help would soon be afforded them. The names of the men composing this party are Robert MOULTON, Thomas NOSEWORTHY and Adam NOSEWORTHY.

Meanwhile, other parties had reached the top of the cliff on the other side, and were endeavoring to devise plans for the rescue of three below. The only way possible was by lowering a man over the cliff by a rope for by that means alone could the position of the shipwrecked men be known. A worthy man named Alfred MOORES volunteered for this dangerous service, and accordingly a strong trope was fastened around him and he was lowered over the precipice. Three times was the brave fellow swung into the dark, but he could not find a suitable place of descend. A fourth time he was lowered, and half swinging, half sliding, along a steep "shoot" or crevasse in the rock, he succeeded in reaching a ledge immediately over the spot whence the cries proceeded. Guided and supported by his rope other brave fellows now followed him, and took up positions between him and the top of the cliff, so as to be in readiness to help. The names of those were David BALDWIN, Eli LANGMEAD, William NOSEWORTHY, and Christopher MUNDAY, At the top, with the end of the rope hitched around a tree, was William LANGMEAD. To get any idea of the pluck of these men you must picture to yourself their position on the bleak hill side in the darkness and cold, clinging for dear life to a rope, the length of which from the top to where Alfred MOORES stood with the end around his body was eighty-five fathoms! How to reach the poor men was the question. Away down below him twenty fathoms further, on the small jutting rock which I have described, MOORES could now make them out through the gray dawn-eight poor creatures huddled as closely together as they could lie, and clinging with all the power they possessed. Twice he threw down a hand-rope he had with him and twice he had to haul it back "In the name of God," he makes a third cast, and this time is successful, it had caught. A stronger rope is handed down, made fast around the body of one of the men, and he is hauled up to where MOORES stands. There this rope is untied, and helped along by those on the crevasse and supporting himself by the rope which supports them, he reaches the top, while the rope which hauled him up goes down for another. In this way all reached the top in safety, and the skill and courage of their rescuers is rewarded by success. But these are not all the survivors, for on a ledge by himself is crouching a poor young fellow, who has been left till the last, because supposed to be in the least danger. There, alone, some hundreds of feet from his companions, he has clung through the terrible night, half dressed, hatless and with but one boot on. A rope is now flung to him, he has just strength left to fasten it around him, and he, too, is safe. Soon all are in Pouch Cove, and cared for with the utmost kindness. A survivor’s story. From one of the men rescued from the rock I obtained to-day the following particulars: - "My name is George Thomas NOSEWORTHY. When the vessel came in the gulch, and her quarter neared the rock, Henry IVANY and I jumped on it. The vessel then went out again, and I think about twenty minutes after (though it may not have been so long) she came close again, and William WELLS, Thomas IVANY, Samuel ROWE, William SPRACKLIN and Thomas SPRACKLILN, jumped safely. We were not there very long before the craft smashed up. We heard no shrieks from those on board. All night it was thick, with the exception of about one hour when it cleared, but soon got showery again. We knew the skipper and some others were on the other side. We shouted and they shouted to us. We heard them say they could climb the cliff when it was day, and begged them to try at once. When the help came we knew it, for we heard the strange voices. We keep shouting all night. The spray dashed over us constantly, and every twenty minutes or so a large sea would come come and dash right over us. I was almost gone once. We had to crouch and cling close together when we saw the sea coming." All day yesterday men were busy with their jiggers at the scene of the wreck, and got up a quantity of clothing and other articles. Up to last night, however, only one body was fished up - that of a young woman, half dressed, which was identified as the body of the wife of Percy SPRACKLIN son of the captain, and one of the survivors. Today six other bodies have been found and identified as follows:

Marlenah SPRACKLIN, Jonathan SPRACKLIN, Solomon TAYLOR, Elias FORD, George IVANY, Richard WEBBER.

The bodies, with one exception, are little disfigured. As they were found, they were deposited in the Methodist School-house and reverently and decently disposed and covered. This evening they were placed in plain coffins, and tonight will be forwarded to St. John’s. Messrs. LILLY and DANPHY came down this morning to arrange matters, on the part of the Government, and under their care, the survivors, all but two; have been conveyed to town. Great kindness and sympathy have been extended towards the shipwrecked men. So far as their means will allow, the people of the place have vied with one another in making them comfortable. Care is being taken, too, that the property picked up shall be fairly dealt with, under the supervision of the Episcopal and Methodist Ministers, and the Roman Catholic school-master, the articles, so far, have been collected, and entered in a book, with the names of the respective finders. Much credit is due to the Rev. R.M. JOHNSON for his forthright and promptness in dispatching news of the sad disaster to St. John’s and for the kindness and zeal he displayed in caring for the persons and property of the both the living and the dead.

In conclusion, Sir I think you and your readers will coincide with me in the belief that some substantial expression of the public appreciation of the humane courageous act which I have attempted to described, should be afforded the gallant fellows who hazarded their lives in accomplishing it; such acts, unfortunately, being in Newfoundland oftener done than rewarded. G.J.B.

Bodies discovered

Four of the bodies of the men drowned from the Waterwitch (in addition to those first picked up) were recovered on Thursday last, and were sent on Friday by the Steamer Cabot to Cupids. This makes eleven recovered out of the twelve. Newfoundlander, Dec 7.


On Saturday morning last a fire broke out in the house of Mr. John EAGAN, near King’s Bridge, destroying house and adjoining tenements. EAGAN had insurance effect to the amount of 300 pounds.

Dec 29, 1875


At St. Mary’s Church, Bay Roberts, by the Rev. J.C. HARVEY, Mr. Adriel R. HIERLIBY to Miss Mary Jane MERCER, all of Bay Roberts.


On Saturday, 18th inst., in the 78th year of his age, Mr. Andrew CONNORS, a native of New Ross, County Wexford, Irelalnd.

On Wednesday morning, Mr. Samuel ANGEL, aged 74 years.

On Wednesday last, at Bay Roberts, after a protracted illness, born with Christian fortitude to the Divine will, Mary, the beloved wife of the late Captain James DELANEY. The deceased was in the 80th year of her age.

At East Somerville, Mass., on the 22nd of Nov., of diphtheria, Charles PEDLEY, aged 14 years; and at the same place, on the 9th Nov., Henry, aged 7 years, beloved children of John and Sarah HEATH, late of this City.

At Beanharnois, near Montreal, on Monday the 27th current, Andrew Edward, aged 22 years, youngest son of J.W. McCOUBREY, Esq., Editor and proprietor of the Times newspaper.

Jan 21, 1876


At the Episcopal residence, on Saturday, the 8th iinst., by the Rev. Father FORISTAL, H.H. BURNETTE, Esq., D.D.S. of New York City, to Miss Katie DEARIN, of St. John’s.

On Thursday evening last, at the residence of the bride’s mother, by the Rev. Thomas McGRATH, assisted by the Rev. J. RYAN, John CORMACK, Esq., of Salmonier, to Bridget, eldest daughter of the late, Mr. GALWAY.


At Halifax, N.S. on Friday, Jan. 7th, 1876, after a protracted illness, Bridge TOBIN, in the 23rd year of her age.

At Dartmouth, N.S., Dec 30, C. Jane, daughter of George and Sarah BARRETT, in the 6th year of her age.

At the Provincial and City Hospital, Halifax, December 28th, Margaret POWER, aged 24 years, a native of Newfoundland.

On Tuesday evening last, after a long and severe illness, borne with Christian resignation to the Divine will, much and deservedly regretted, Mary, relict of the late Patrick HEARN, esq., aged 53 years. Funeral on to-day (Friday) at 2 ½ o’clock, p.m.

Killed - At Memphis & Little Rock Railroad, on the 9th Dec. last, Cornelius J. FLOOD, a native of this city, aged 27 years.

Jan 24, 1876

Death from Exposure

The body of an aged man named Thomas CLOONEY was discovered on Friday last, within a short distance of the Topsail Road, near Nortman’s and was brought to the Police office, where an inquiry into the circumstances of his death was held on Saturday. From the evidence given it appears that he had left the house of a friend at Riverhead, either during the preceding Monday night, or previous to daylight on Tuesday morning, intending to proceed to Topsail on business, and the weather being stormy, with a considerable depth of new fallen snow, that he had succumbed from fatigue and perished by the inclemency of the weather.


At Beauharnois, Quebec, on the 27th December last, of small-pox, Mr. Andrew Edward McCOUBERY, aged 22 years, a native of St. John’s Newfoundland.

Jan 29, 1876

Sea Disasters

The coastal steamer Tiger arrived from the Westward on Wednesday morning. She reports fish on the Western coast, off Rose Blanche and Channel, but the weather boisterous. Two French vessels laden with fish were driven ashore at St. Peter’s. The Tiger brought to St. Peter’s the crew of the Martha Jane, wrecked on the Magnetic rocks, near Cape LaHune. An American schooner, coal laden, was run ashore on Miquelon and an American brigantine on a herring voyage wrecked at Long Harbor, Fortune bay. Herring scarce in Fortune Bay. Fishery prospects on the Western shore good, should the weather moderate.


On the 4th ult., at St. Andrew Church, Bay Roberts, by the Rev. W.C. SHEARS, Mr. Robert L. SCLATER, of Sligo, Ireland, to Selina eldest daughter of the late Capt. Robert DAWE Bay Roberts.

On the 18th January, at the residence of the bride’s father, by the Rev. M. HARVEY, Mr. James GORDON, to Margaret CARMICHAEL, daughter of Thomas McMURDO, Esq.

On January 20th, ‘76, at St. Thomas’s Church by the Rev. A.C.F. WOOD, Mr. Adam CURRAN, to Eliza J., youngest daughter of Mr. John HILL, both of this place.


On Wednesday, 26th inst., Andrew, youngest son of Mr. John HIGGINS, aged 17 years.

Feb 3, 1876

The crew of the Nancy Rose, 17 days from New York, were badly frost-bitten, on Sunday night last, and were thereby rendered almost unfit for duty. From this cause, as well as from stress of weather, the vessel had to take refuge, and to come to anchor off Outer Cove. There she was boarded by a crew of men from that village, who took the places of the disabled crew, and helped to bring the vessel into port. She was afterwards taken in tow by the steamer Hercules and brought safely into the harbour, the service costing, we are informed, £160.

Feb 28, 1876

Three lads die

About half past nine o’clock on Thursday morning, three lads, named John RYNES, aged 18 years, Robert NOSERY and _______ ELGAR, each 16, left their homes on Lime Kiln Hill, for the purpose of cutting firewood. They proceeded in the direction of Freshwater, having hatchets and biscuit sufficient for the day, and a good dog and catamaran, and expected to reach the place where they intended to cut the wood, at about 11 o’clock. Towards night, as the wind freshened, and the drift thickened, apprehensions were entertained for their safety, and the fathers of the lads RYNES and NOSERY, who are step-brothers, set out, joined by another man, for Freshwater, and proceeded a considerable distance in the woods in search of them without finding any indication of the route they had taken; and as night set in, the storm having increased in severity, they were under necessity of abandoning the search. Mr. CARTY, the Superintendent of Constabulary, having been communicated with, on Friday morning he sent eight men of the force to aid the fathers of the lads in searching for them. These with a number of the residents along the Freshwater road, formed themselves into searching parties, and proceeded to the woods. After a time one of the parties discovered the catamaran abandoned, the traces having been cut, and also were enabled to follow the tracks in the snow by which they had proceeded, by which it appeared that they had walked before the wind in the direction of Portugal Cove. The track, after proceeding some distance, was, however, lost, and the searching parties had to return unsuccessful. In the meantime, it having been said that the lads were at Topsail, a messenger was dispatched thither, who returned at midnight, stating that the report was unfounded. The search was renewed on Saturday by more numerous parties, and about noon two of the frozen bodies of the lads were found near Oxen Pond, between Three Pond barrens and Broad Cove, the faithful dog alive, lying beside them, seemingly keeping watch. The body of the third lad has not yet been found.

Mar 3, 1876


On Monday 28 inst, the wife of Mr. Alfred CHAFE of a daughter.

Mar 6, 1876

Child burnt

On Thursday last a child under three years of age, son of Mr. J. MOORE, Cocharane Street, was burnt to death. His mother had gone to a neighbour’s house for a few minutes, leaving the child in her room on the second floor, with a fire burning in the grate. The child seems went too near the fire, when his clothes were ignited and the inmates of the apartments underneath, being absent, there was no person within hearing of his screams. On the mother’s return, she found her child rolling on the floor, in agony, his clothes consumed, and the body, in some parts burnt to quite crisp; and he soon after expired. This is the second instance within a few weeks, of the death of a child by its clothes catching fire, and it is to be hoped will be the means of deterring parents and nurses from leaving children unattended exposed to the risk of their clothes catching fire.

Mar 28, 1876


At Bay of Islands, on the 18th December last, a man named Benjamin BRAKE, a half-breed Indian, shot another called John CARTER, a trader from Nova Scotia, in the thigh, and in a quarter of an hour CARTER died. He was the brother of Thomas CARTER, who carries on business in Bay Of Islands. BRAKE is now in custody of the constable there, Wm. BAGG, and will, we presume, be sent on as a soon as practicable. No doubt, however, we shall have to take chance for this, for in deference to French notions of French claims, we are not yet permitted to assert practical jurisdiction on what is called the French Shore, and lawlessness rules instead of British authority on this British soil. BAGG, the constable referred to, we believe, is an "unpaid, unpensioned" volunteer, and why it is that he is charged or has charged himself with the functions of peace officer, we don’t well know. It does appear, however, that he renders useful service in this line, and that he is the man to hold fast his present prisoner, if needful, with a desperate grip. It is stated that the feeling of the people against BRAKE is so strong that fears are entertained of their taking the law into their own hands. BAGG being the sole representative and guardian of law and order in the locality. We may point to this case and its surroundings, as a new illustration of that condition of utter barbarism, which is still the portion of British subjects whom fate condemns to live on our western coast. We can but hope this outrageous anomaly has at last reached its worst, when a speedy remedy may be looked for. Newfoundlander, Mar 24.


On Saturday night, about ten o’clock, a fire broke out in the second story of a house on south side of Water Street, adjoining the premises of Francis MCDOUGALL, Esq., corner of Water and Adelaide streets. The house consisted of two shops with dwellings above, the one occupied by Mr. W. MCLARTY as a crockery shop, and the other by Mr. TOBIN as a spirit and grocery shop. We have not heard how the fire originated. On the alarm being given the Fire Companies repaired to the premises with their usual promptitude, but on their arrival the attics of the building were in flames, and the only means of access to the part of the building on fire was by forcing in by the windows four streams of water from hose attached to hydrants in the vicinity, and thus by flooding the upper floors, preventing the fire from getting hold of the lower part of the building. After a times a portion of the roof fell in and this gave the firemen more room to play upon the burning mass enable them to get the fire under without the destruction of the lower portion of the premises. The adjoining premises of Mr. MCDOUGALL on the one side, and Messrs. PARKERS on the other, were at one time in considerable danger, but by the well directed efforts of the Fire Companies in getting the fire so speedily under, they saved both. Mr. MCLARTY"s stock and also Mr. TOBIN’s and the greater portion of their furniture were destroyed much of both in ________, but we learn that they are pretty well covered by insurance and that the building is also partially insured.

Apr 6, 1876

Shipping news

The Schooner Arctic, bound to Harbor Grace did not get farther than Cape Saint Francis, and came back to anchorage in this harbor on Tuesday morning last, at 8 o’clock. -Chronicle of Tuesday.

The Hercules, with a number of passengers on board, left Conception Bay on Saturday morning, but was caught in the ice before reaching Cape St. Francis, and drove up between Belle Isle and the main land.

The Brigt. Maxwelton, Capt. Isaac BARTLETT, was abandoned by her crew about nine miles off Torbay on Sunday evening last. A portion of the crew landed yesterday, and the remainder boarded some vessels in the neighborhood. The Maxwelton was crushed in the ice by a rafter, caused by a heavy swell heaving in form the recent Northeast wind.

The steamer Hercules reached Portugal Cove yesterday morning, and having landed her passengers, put out again to go the assistance of the brig Belle, which vessel is in the hands of twelve men of Capt. Thoas. Green’s sealing crew. The passengers of the Hercules arrived in town yesterday afternoon. From them we learn that the steamer got down within three miles of Cape St. Francis on Saturday, when she stuck fast in the ice and then drifted up the Bay as far as Belle Isle. The ice then being somewhat loose enabled Capt. GREEN to get to Portugal Cove. The Belle followed up the Bay in the wake of the steamer, and an arrangement was made that the Hercules, after landing her passengers, should come back to the assistance of the brig, which was accordingly carried out and at noon yesterday the Belle was in tow the of the Hercules.


At Bonavista, on the 7th March, after a lingering illness, borne with truly Christian resignation, Mr. Jeremiah WHITE, a native of Tagmon, Country Wexford, Ireland, at the advanced age of 87 years, 53 of which he spent in this country. Deceased was appointed keeper of Cape Bonavista lighthouse on its opening in September 1843 and fulfilled his duties creditably till the past few years when, owning to his advanced age, he resigned his position to his eldest son.

On Friday, the 31st ult., after a lingering illness, at the residence of Miss EVANS, King’s Bridge, John, son the late George H. EVANS of Lamaline, aged 24 years.

Apr 8, 1876


The remains of the late Mr. Randall GREENE were interred at a eleven o’clock yesterday morning, from the Catholic Cathedral, after High Mass and office at which His Lordship Dr. POWER presided, attended by several of his clergy. The funeral cortege was unusually large, including the Benevolent Irish Society and Catholic Institute, of which bodies, Mr. GREENE was a member and a concourse of respectable citizens of all classes. All the indications told how highly and how universally the deceased had been esteemed, and is now regretted.

On Tuesday with Christian resignation to the Divine will, Frances, the beloved wife of Henry HAWKINS, Sergeant, in the 76th year of her age.

On the 5th April, Mary Catherine, infant daughter of Mr. T. SALTER, aged 8 mos.

At Stamford, Con., on the 11th ult., Mrs. C.F. PECKHAM, formerly of Heart’s Content, Nfld.

On Wednesday last, Mrs. Margaret MORRISSEY, aged 24 years.

Apr 13, 1876

St John’s, Nfld. 18th March, 1876

The following gentlemen now constitute the corresponding Committee for Newfoundland, of the Colonial and Continental Church Society, viz: -

Hon. F.B. T. CARTER, President

Hon. R.J. PINSENT, Vice -President

E.L. JARVIS, Esq., Treasurer & Secretary

J.W. MARRIOTT, Esq., Inspector of Schools

Hon. J. WINTER, Hon. W.V. WHITEWAY and Thomas CLIFT, D.W. PROWSE, J.L. NOONAN, P. EMERSON, and J.W. WINTER, Esquires, and Commander G. ROBINSON, R.N.

(From the Royal Gazette)

Report of the Corresponding Committee of the Colonial and Continental Church Society for 1875 (taken from a long article ).......The Society has accepted the services of Mr. LLOYD, a Master brought from England by the Rev. Mr. MURRAY, as their teacher at Twillingate, and the School there under his management promises to become one of the best in the island.

Mr. Lind having obtained a better situation at Bett’s Cove has left the Society’s School at Greenspond, and Mr. SKEFFINGTON, a trained pupil-teacher, has been sent to take his place, but the Committee hope to find a married couple for this important station next summer, as two teachers are really necessary for so large a School.

The Committee have to regret the loss of Mrs. LAWRENCE, the wife of their Schoolmaster in Bonavista. She died in faith last October, and her place in the School cannot at present be supplied. While sympathizing with Mr. LAWRENCE and his family in their great loss, the Committee hope that he will be able still to teach the children to the satisfaction of the Society and the people of Bonavista, though it must be supposed that the loss of her valuable assistance will be felt in the School as well as at home.

Since the last annual meeting, death has also removed a member of the Committee who has been long engaged in promoting the Society’s interests. The late J.B. WOOD, Esq., was a warm advocate of the Society’s claims, and both in the Legislature and elsewhere often bore strong testimony to the value of the schools it had established in Newfoundland. One of his last acts was a gift of fifty pounds to increase the year’s local subscription to our funds. The Committee would offer their sincere condolence to Mrs. WOOD and the other members of the family in their bereavement. ......F.B.T. Carter, President, E.L. JARVIS, Secretary

Apr 19, 1876

Shipping news

The Belle, owned by Capt. WALTERS, which cleared on Saturday for Lisbon, with fish, was driven by the tide on Petty Harbor motion, and had her keel badly injured. She had to return to port for repairs, and her cargo will be shipped on board another vessel.


A man named James CURREN, belonging to Presque, Placentia Bay, known as a freighter, was killed on the 21th March, by falling over a cliff while on his way to St. Kyran’s to attend mass. Ledger.

Death of A.T. STEWART - The sudden death of Alexander T. STEWART, at the age of 73, closes the career of one of the most successful business men of the present century. Mr. STEWART was born near Belfast, Ireland, in the year 1803, and educated at Trinity College, Dublin. He came to America in 1823, and taught school for a short time, and afterwards went into the dry goods business, at which he has amassed a vast fortune. Mr. STEWART was a hard worker, and may be almost said to have died in harness. He probably worked as steadily as any business man in New York, and, notwithstanding his vast wealth, to the last day of his life was engaged in what had been his life work, making money.

May 1, 1876


On the 5th April, at 135 Mains Street, Glasgow, James ROBERTSON, Esq., of Messrs. Aiton & Robertson, Milnwood Iron Works, Holytown, nephew of the Editor of this Journal.

May 12, 1876


At New York, on 22nd April, Mr. Wm. J. POWER, aged 20 years, a native of Saint John’s, Nfld.

At the Provincial and City Hospital, Halifax, N.S., April 25, 1876, James BABSTOCK, a native of Newfoundland.

At Harbor Grace, on the 9th ult., Harriett Maria, eldest daughter aged 15 months; and on the 23rd ult. Hubert Austin, infant son, aged 3 days, children of Mr. Ambrose PARSONS.

And on Thursday last, Mary Ann, wife of Mrs. Ambrose PARSONS, and daughter of Mr. George H. TAYLOR, of Carbonear, aged 26 years.

On Tuesday, 9th May, Thomas, aged 6 years, son of Mr. Moses BUTT, Blacksmith.

Body recovered

The body of James ELGAR, one of the three unfortunate youths lost in the snow storm on Feb ?22 was found on Sunday afternoon in the neighborhood of the Freshwater Road by Michael DEA, and brought to his father’s house the same evening. The search for him has been resumed since winter passed away, and continued, from time to time as the melting of the snow seemed to offer a chance of discovery, although the many engaged had begun to be almost hopeless of success. We are glad thus to place on record the result of their untiring perseverance as worthy of all praise. The remains were buried yesterday, beside the bodies of those previously found in the Church of England Cemetery. - Gazetter.


At Harbor Grace on Wednesday last, at Retreat Cottage, the residence of the bride’s father, by the Rev. Diomedes FALCONIO, O.S.F., Administrator of the Cathedral, John Hoyles BOONE, Esq., of St. John’s, Barrister -at-law, to Eva Eugenie, eldest daughter of Lewis Willkins EMERSON, Esq.

At. St. Mary’s Church, by the Rev. A.C. F. WOOD, Capt. Edwin Clement HIRST, of Liverpool, England, to Fanny Elizabeth, only daughter of the late Mr. Thomas SEYMOUR, Exeter, England.

May 15, 1876


His Excellency the Governor in Council has been pleased to appoint, under the Education Act, 1876, the Rev. William PILOT, to be Superintendent of Church of England Schools; the Rev. George S. MILLIGAN, to be Superintendent of Methodist School; and Michael J. KELLY, Esq., to be Superintendent of Roman Catholic Schools.

The Rev. H.M. SKINNER, James BURDEN, Esq., J.P., and Messrs. John BROWN, Jr, Jos. HOUSE, Jr., (Gooseberry Island), Wm. MOSS (Salvage Bay), to be a Church of England Board of Education for the District of Salvage.

The Rev. J. G. CRAGG, George SKELTON, J.P., Frederick WHITE, Esq., J.P., John C. DOMINY, Esq., and Capt. Wm. KEAN (Pool’s Island), to be a Church of England Board of Education for Bonavista , North.

The Rev. W.R. SMITH, Dr. ALEXANDER, and Messrs. Charles COLLINS, Wm. SQUARRY (Hall’s Bay) and George PAYNE (Bett’s Cove), to be a Church of England Board of Education for Notre Dame Bay, North.

The Rev. John HEWITT, Thomas WINSER, Esq., J.P., and Messrs. James ALCOCK (Leading Tickles) and George SEVIOR (Exploits) to be a Church of England Board of Education for Exploits, Burnt Island.

The Rev. F. SKINNER, P.H. SORSOLIEL, Esq., J.P. , Phillip LEMOTTE, Esq., Francis READ, Esq., and Mr. Thomas RIDOUT, to be a Church of England Board of Education for LaPoile.

The Rev. T.A. GOODE, N. SMITH, Esq., Frederick COX, Esq., J.P., and Messrs. John LeMOINE, Sr., Wm Thomas DICKS, F.A. TWEEDLE, Joseph SMALL, Jr. (Burnt Islands) to be a Church of England Board of Education for Channel.

His Excellency the Governor in Council has also been pleased to appoint Messrs. Richard NUGENT and Wm. SWANSBOROUGH to be members of the Road Board for Horse Cove to Indian Pond, District of Harbor Main, in place of Messrs. Philip WALSH and Richard PARMITER, resigned. Secretary’s Office 1st May, 1876.

His Excellency the Governor has been pleased to appoint Philip HUBERT, Esq., to be a Justice of the Peace for the Southern District, and Stipendiary Magistrate at Harbor Briton, in the room of the late Thomas BIRKETT, Esq., deceased.

His Excellency in Council has also been pleased to appoint Philip HUBERT, Esq., to be sub-collector of Colonial Revenue at Harbor Briton, in the room of the late Thomas BIRKETT, Esq., deceased; James ?HARNEY, Esq., to be Commissioner of Wrecked Property for from St. Peter’s River, exclusive to Point Lance, inclusive, in the room of Thomas P. O’DONNELLL, Esq., resigned; Phillip HUBERT, Esq., to be Commissioner of Wrecked Property for from Garnish to Cape LaHune; and Charles FOX, Esq., to be an Inspector of Fish Oils under the provisions of an Act passed during the last Session of the Legislature, entitled "An Act to provide for the Inspection of Fish Oils in this Colony." Secretary’s Office , 8th May, 1876 - Gazette.

May 17, 1876


The brigantine Creol arrived here on Thursday last from the ice, having on board two dead men - Levi CHIPMAN and Thomas MARTIN - who in the early part of the spring died suddenly. One of her crew was also seriously injured by falling down the hold of the vessel. - Standard.

Extract of a letter from Pouch Cove, dated May 6: -

I wish to inform you that on Friday last (yesterday), I sent some men over a short distance from Biscayan Cove, to a place called Anvil Cove, in from Biscayan Islands, to chop some timber, and one of them went down in a little gulch or cove and discovered the body of a man whom we believe to be one of the unfortuante crew of the Hopewell, that was lost on Biscayan Islands last fall. The man was very stout, with black hair, one boot and a stocking on and a blue Guernsey on. I immediately ordered a coffin to be made, found the board myself, and sent to Pouch Cove to dig a grave and sent ten men up with the corpse. He was interred in the Roman Catholic Cemetery yesterday evening, as we believe he belonged to that body of people. - Nfldr.


On Sunday , the 14th, inst., the wife of John COWAN, of a son.


At his residence, Water Street, on Wednesday last, after a long illness, Charles, third eldest son the late Capt. Bartholmew COLEMAN.

May 22, 1876


At Catalina, on the 17th inst., Christiana Jane, the second youngest daughter of Stephen JEANS, Esq., aged 23 years. Deceased is much and deservedly lamented by all who knew her.

May 24, 1876

Sea disaster

The sealing steamer Hawk sunk in the ice off Cape John, on the 14th current, crew saved, and brought in by the steamer Nimrod, which arrived last Sunday with 150 seals (second trip).


His Excellency the Governor in Council ahs been pleased to appoint: Messrs. John HENNESSEY, George PITTMAN and Patrick ENNIS, to be a Road Board for Merasheen, District of Placentia and St. Mary’s; Messrs. H.W. LeMESSURIER, Martin GALTON and John LEONARD to be a Road Board for Isle of Valen, District of Placentia and St. Mary’s. Messrs. Lawrence MURPHY, Philip HANLON and Robert COMBY, to be a Road Board for Barren Island, District of Placentia and St. Mary’s; the Rev. F. McCullow, and Mr. James WAKEHAM to be additional Members of the St. Kyran’s Road Board, Edward MURRAY, Esq., to be a Member of the Road Board for that part of the district of Harbor Main between Indian Pond, exclusive, and Turk’s Gut, exclusive, and John VEITCH, Esq., to be a Member of the Roman Catholic Board of Education for Harbor Main, in place of the late John KENNEDY, deceased.

His Excellency in Council has also been pleased to appoint Mr. Daniel FLETCHER (Harbor Grace) to be an Inspector under the provisions of the Act to Provide the Inspection of Fish Oils in this Colony. -Gazette.

Accidents at Sea

During the recent voyage of the steamer Eagle, and about a fortnight ago, the second engineer, Mr. STIBB, was severely injured by the bursting of a gun. Mr. STIBB had loaded the rifle to fire at a bear, but had not driven the ball tight to the powder, the rifle burst and piece two inches long and about an inch wide entered his arm above the wrist. Yesterday it was extracted by Dr. HOWLEY. - Ledger

Mr. John LAKE, on his passage from Fortune to this port, about twenty miles from Burin fell in with a dory having two men on board belonging to a French banker. They had been on St. Peter’s Bank attending to the bultows, and failed to find their vessel. When discovered by Mr. LAKE they had been three days in the boat and were in a pitiable condition from the combined effects of hunger and cold. On board Mr. LAKE’s vessel their wants were fully supplied. There were landed at Burin and placed under the care of the magistrate. - Ledger.


At Brigus, On Monday, the 17th inst., at the residence of the Bride’s father, by the Rev. F. Walsh, Michael, youngest son of the late Michael POWER, esq., to Maggie, only daughter of Thomas Kelly, Esq.

At the Roman Catholic Cathedral, on Friday last, by the Rev. T.B. McGRATH, Administrator, Mr. B. MANNING, to Lizzie Eugenie, eldest daughter of Mr. Patrick LAMB, of Red Island.

Jun 2, 1876


At Carbonear on the morning of Saturday last, a cooper shop belonging to Mr. Thomas MALONE, was totally destroyed by fire. The building, which was uninsured, contained a large stock of materials, besides valuable tools. The origin of the fire is enshrouded in mystery. As no person had been working in the shop several days to it being burnt, it is believed to be the work of an incendiary. - H.G. Standard

Jun 5, 1876


On Sunday last, the wife of James HEARN, Esq., of a son.

On Tuesday, the wife of Mr. George BOALER, of a son.


On Wednesday, the 31st ult., at St.Mary’s Church, by the Rev. E. BOTWOOD, assisted by the Rev. J.M. NOEL, brothers in-law of the bride groom, P. FREDERICK, second son of Peter P. LeMUSSURIER, Esq., to Emma M.S., second daughter of Thomas LONG, Esq., Topographical Surveyor in the Surveyor General’s Department.

At Bonavista, May 20, by the Rev. J. GOODISON, Mr. John SEXTON, to Miss Eliza ROLLS.

On the 28th inst., at the residence of his father, by the Rev. M.A. CLANCY, Mr. Patrick FARREL, of Ferryland, to Miss Ellen Rose WILLIAMS of Bay Bulls.

At Harbor Grace on Wednesday evening last, by the very Rev. D. FALCONIO, Capt. John STRAPP, to Miss Ellen M. FURLONG.


On Saturday, 27th inst., Marion E. FOX, aged 13 years and 7 months.

At Bonavista, May 18, Mary Harriet, daughter, of Mr. Abraham SQUIRES, aged 9 years.

At the same place, May 18, Maria, wife of Mr. Edward RUSSEL, aged 60 years.

At Montreal, May 15, Frederick LANG, aged 52 years, a native of St. John’s, Newfoundland.

At Quebec, May 11, Matthew Shirring, youngest child of Heber BUDDEN, aged 5 years and 10 months.

Jun 10, 1876


At Barne’s Lane, on the 6th inst., by the Rev. R.D. PATTERSON, of St. Andrews’s Church, Henry Albert SHAW, to Margaret, eldest daughter of the late Mr. George KIRKLANLD, both of St. John’s.

At St. Mary’s Church, on the 2nd instant, by the Rev. Edward BOTWOOD, Mr. James HIBBS to Selina, eldest daughter of Mr. Edward CHURCHILL both of St. John’s.


On Wednesday, the 7th inst., Julia E., second daughter of George and Mary Ann LANGMEAD, aged 18 years and 6 months.

At ?Atrichat, on Wednesday, 17th May, Simon DONOVAN, Esq., Collector of Customs for that port, aged 73 years.

At 160 Mansfield Street, Montreal, on the 4th ult., Alexander SCLATER, late Port Warden.

Jun 19, 1876

On the 11th April, by the Rev. T. HALL, Mr. Wm. GREEN, printer, to Miss Adelaide MULLINS, both of this town.

On Wednesday evening last, at the Roman Catholic Church, by the Rev. T. MCGRATH, Peter, youngest son of the late Mr. Thomas MACKEY, to Annie, youngest daughter of the late Mr. James COLLINS, both of St. John’s. (Boston papers please copy)

On the 13th instant, at Free St. Andrew’s Church, by the Rev. M. HARVEY, Mr. James W. MELVILLE, to Phoebe J., only daughter of Mr. Adam MARTIN.

On the 13th inst., at the George Street Methodist Church, by the Rev. S. DUNN, Mr. John D. MARTIN, to Milly, second daughter of Mr. Ezra CHURCHILL.


On the 8th inst., at Bishop’s Lodge, Hamilton, Bermuda, the Right Reverend Edward FIELD, D.D., for thirty-two years Lord Bishop of Newfoundland, aged seventy-five years.

Jun 21, 1876


On the 17th May, 1876, at Rendell Habor, Smith’s Sound, Trinity Bay, by the Rev. Mr. HARRINGTON, Mr. Robert FRAMPTON, to Miss Mary Jane, daughter of Mr. Thomas PELLY, of Broad Cove.


On Friday morning, Jane, daughter of the late Captain Henry ROPER, aged 21 years.

On Sunday, the 18th inst., the Hon. Nicholas STABB, aged 73 years.

The deceased gentleman was a member of the Legislative Council, which place he occupied for very many years. He was also a member of the Executive in Mr. HOYLES’ Government and in the former administration of Mr. CARTER; and in each of these positions he ever rendered zealous and useful services. In private and social life he earned general esteem and his death is much regretted in the community. - Nfldr.

At Bonavista, 8th inst., George, son of Mr. Thomas HUSE, aged 2 years.

On Sunday, the 18th inst., at Brooklyn, U.S. Robert BEATER, eldest son of Robert BROWN, Esq., Manager of the Commercial Bank of this town, aged 38 years.

Jun 28, 1876


At Channel, Jun 15, by the Rev. James NURSE, Mr. James L. KNIGHT to Mrs. Sarah GILHAM.

Jun 28, 1876


His Excellency the Governor in Council has been pleased to appoint Mr. Mark DOWDEN ( of Greenspond) to be an Inspector of Pickled fish. Secretary’s Office, 27th June, 1876 - Gazette

Jul 8, 1876


On the 17th June, at the residence of H.C. B. THOMAAS, Esq., 45, Powis Square, Bayswater, Ondong, Temple Piers, second son of the late Hon. William THOMAS, formerly of this town.

Jul 19, 1876


(From the Newfoundlander of yesterday)

Letters from the Northward, speak of Diphtheria in a malignant form having been lately very prevalent in Catalina. It appears that a boy named James HUNT, who was in St. John’s a short time ago, and had visited a house in which this disease existed, became ill soon after his return. He died in a few days, and after him, his mother and three others of her children - thus making five of one family carried off. Another child and an aunt were ill of the same disease, and the father who had left for the Northward before the sickness appeared in his house was reported similarly and dangerously affected at Seldom-Come-By. There had been several fatal cases besides those above named. The magistrate had instructed Dr. FORBES to take such steps as he though best for the preservation of health, which had accordingly been done, and apparently with good effect, no new cases being reported.


His Excellency, the Governor in Council has been pleased to appoint the Right Rev. Dr. KELLY, Lord Bishop of Newfoundland, to be a member of the Board of Education of the St. John’s Academy of the Church of England, under Act 39th Vic., Cap. 3. Sec. 39. Secretary’s Office, 11th July, 1876, Gazette.

His Excellency the Governor in Council has been pleased to appoint the Rev. T. HALL, the Hon. P.G. TESSIER and R. WINTON, Esq., to be a Board of Examiners for the Congregationalists, to Examine and Grade Pupil Teachers, and Teachers under the Education Act of 1876.

His Excellency has also been pleased to appoint Mr. James HICKS (Doting Cove) to be a Member of the Road Board for Musgrave Harbor (District of Twillingate and Fogo) in place of William PARDY, deceased.

Secretary’s Office, 18th July 1876 (Gazette)


On Saturday last, the wife of Mr. Reginald Heber EARLE, of a daughter.


At the Wesleyan Church, Harbour Grace, on Monday evening, July 10, by the Rev. James Dove (President of the Newfoundland Conference) assisted by the Rev. R.W. FREEMAN, the Rev. Thoas. H. JAMES, to Flora, eldest daughter of the late Mr. Frederick PARSONS.


On the 12th instant, after a lingering illness, Catherine Joanna, eldest daughter of Captain John SULLIVAN, aged 14 years and 6 months.

On Saturday evenign last, in the 80th year of his age, Mr. James CAMPBELL, teacher. Deceased was a native of Duncannon, Country Wexford, Ireland.

On Sunday, the 16th instant, Anna Winslow, wife of Noel Hammer, Esq., late of H.M. War Department, aged 87 years.

Jul 22, 1876


On Wednesday, the 19th instant. The wife of the Rev. A.C. WOOD of a son.


On the 16th inst., by the Rev. S. DUNN, Mr. Robert B. BLACKWOOD, to Alice D. PRENDERGAST, eldest daughter of Mr. James PRENDERGAST, both of St. John’s,

Jul 27, 1876


On Thursday evening last, the wife J.M. PEREZ?, Esq., of a son.


At St. George’s Church, Montreal, on the 29th June, by the Rev. Dean BOND, Mr. William HAMILTON to Bessie Boyd, third daughter of the late Capt. Henry POTTER, of St. John’s, Nfld.

At Montreal, on the 29th ult., at the residence of Dr. RODDICK, brother of the bride, by the Rev. Robert CAMPBELL, A.J. Stewart KENNEDY, Esq., of Sorrel, formerly of Alderley Edge, Cheshire, England, to Janet Irving, eldest daughter of ? J.P.RODDICK, Esq., late of Harbor Grace, Nfld.

At the Wesleyan Chapel, Truro, N.S., on July 4th, by the Rev. J.M. HOWIE, Rev. Wm. AINLEY, of Lockeporte, Yarmouth Co., N.S., to Elizabeth S. daughter of Mr. TURNBULL, on Onslow, Col., Co.


On Tuesday, the 20th inst., after a short illness, Ellen, the fourth daughter of the late Mr. Robert HENNESSEY.

At Old Perlican, on the 14th inst., after a lingering illness, Mr. William COLLINS aged 53 years. Deceased leaves a wife and eight children to mourn their irrecoverable loss.


© Beverley Warford and NL GenWeb