Daily News

NLGenWeb Newspaper Transcriptions

Daily News

Misc. News Tidbits & Year End Review - 1912 - 1913

Reprinted courtesy of Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing" Any monetary or commercial gain from using this material is strictly
prohibited and subject to legal action.

The records were transcribed by CHRIS SHELLEY.  Formatted by GEORGE WHITE
While we have endeavored to be as correct as humanly possible, there could be some typographical errors.

Aug. 22, 1912 POEM "KEEP OUR GIRLS AT HOME: ""They are going o'er the ocean, Far away across the sea; They are leaving Terra Nova, 'Tis a thing that shouldn't be! Employment should be found them, Then they need not have to roam, We should do our best endeavours For to keep our girls at home. Up to the railway station On last Sunday I did stray, And while there I noticed Females who were bound away; They were fifteen left for Moncton, For St. Andrew's fifteen more; All fair Terra Nova's daughters Whom we never may see more. We can ill-afford to lose them, For our numbers are but small, And I'm sure that Terra Nova Can find bread and work for all; If all only toiled together With our shoulders to the wheel For to show that we were really Working for our country's weal. It is true that they are leaving To engage at honest toil; It is true that Nova Scotia Is a rich productive soil. But I think it were far better, If they toiled beneath our dome; So we should be up and doing For to keep our girls at home. It is sad to see the mothers Parting with their daughters, dear; It is sad to see the brothers Bid adieu to sisters fair; Shaking hands, maybe, for ever, On their own dear native earth, Sadly weeping as they sever From the land that gave them birth. So now let us be united With the one great cause at heart, For to keep our country's daughters From their native land to part; Oh, come let us try to hinder This migration o'er the foam. Let us do our best endeavours For to keep our girls at home!"" JAMES MURPHY. St. John's, Aug. 20, 1912 "
Aug. 23, 1912 MARRIAGE "PIKE - PENNEY: A quiet wedding took place on Wednesday afternoon at the residence of the groom's parents at Carbonear, when Miss Josephine PENNEY, third daughter of Capt. Josiah PENNEY, J.P., was united in matrimony to Mr. James PIKE, second son of Capt. James and Mrs. PIKE of the Beach. The bride, who was attired in a travelling costume, was attended by her sisters, Misses Grace and Emma PENNEY, Mr. Fred PIKE, Manager of the Walsh, Alberta, branch of the Merchants' Bank of Canada, supporting his brother. Only the immediate families of the contracting parties were present. After the ceremony the happy couple joined the train for St. John's, sailing yesterday by the City of Sydney for Montreal en route to Camrose, Alberta, where the groom is Manager of the branch of the Merchant's Bank of Canada. The young couple are very popular in Carbonear, and left amid a shower of greetings and presents. In the chorus of congratulations, the ""News"" cordially unites. The Rev. James PINCOCK officiated at the ceremony. "
Aug. 26, 1912 DEATH On Saturday morning, Eleanor Florence, beloved wife of Ralph McL. BISHOP, and daughter of S. S. STENTATORD, ESQ., of Heart's Content, aged 27 years. Funeral this afternoon at 3 o'clock, from her late residence, Leslie Street.
Aug. 26, 1912 DEATH On Sunday, 25th inst., John DOWNS, Tailor, aged 75 years. Funeral on Tuesday, at 2.30 p.m., from his late residence, 95 Carter's Hill. Friends will please accept this, the only intimation. - R.I.P.
Aug. 26, 1912 DEATH On the 24th inst., after a long illness, Richard NEVILLE, aged 61 years. Funeral on Tuesday, at 1 o'clock, from his late residence, Topsail Road. Friends please accept this, the only intimation.
Aug. 26, 1912 DEATH The friends of Mrs. Ralph BISHOP were plunged into grief on Saturday when the announcement was made that she had passed away that morning at the early age of 27, after a brief illness. Mrs. BISHOP was a daughter of Mr. S. S. STENTAFORD, of Heart's Content; Mrs. Alexr. DIAMOND of this city, and Mrs. SMITH of Heart's Content, are her sisters, and Dr. STENTAFORD, of Carbonear, a brother. Two infants, one only a few days old, are left with the bereaved father, Mr. Ralph BISHOP, of Bishop, Sons & Co. Ltd., to mourn their irreparable loss. A peculiar pathos attaches to her passing, as the family were anxiously awaiting news of Miss Stella BISHOP, her sister-in-law, and only daughter of the Hon. R. K. BISHOP, who was critically ill at Brighton, England. To the sorrowing family we voice the deep and general sympathy. The funeral takes place this afternoon at 3 o'clock, from her late residence, Leslie Street.
Aug. 27, 1912 SIX MEN DROWNED Yesterday the Minister of Marine and Fisheries received the following startling message from Dr. GRENFELL. It was sent from the "S.S. Strathcona" by wireless, and came via Fogo: - "Regret to report five drownings on Aug. 23rd, at Independent, Labrador, Capt. William DAWE and Richard JACKSON of Bay Roberts; William SPENCER, of Coley's Point; James HOLMES and Edward HOLMES, of Shearstown. Their boat capsized in a heavy sea. The body of Edward HOLMES was recovered on Sunday." Capt. William DAWE was the son of Capt. John DAWE, of Bay Roberts, and a nephew of Capt. Eli DAWE, formerly Minister of Marine and Fisheries. He was one of the most prominent of the younger men of Bay Roberts; - held in general esteem and admiration, embodying in himself the traditions of a long line of splendid seamen; - a "captain courageous." Those who knew him speak of him as a man, whose spared life would have proved a blessing to his native town and his country. He was married, and leaves several children. So far as can be ascertained, all the others were also married. Richard JACKSON was a young man with a wife and one child. William SPENCER leaves a wife and four children; Jas. HOLMES is the son of George HOLMES, and is survived by a widow and six children. Edward HOLMES is married, but of the five, is the only one without children. The heartbroken widows, the bereaved children, and the stricken parents and relatives will have sincere and widespread sympathy in their bitter sorrow. Another sad death from drowning is reported in our telegraphic columns from East Wabana.
Aug. 30, 1912 MARRIAGE "ROBERTS DOWDEN: At Wesley Church, yesterday afternoon, at 3 o'clock, Miss Gertrude Isabel ROBERTS, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. ROBERTS, Hamilton Avenue, and Mr. Reginald DOWDEN, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. DOWDEN, William St., were united in matrimony, the Church being filled with guests and friends of the bride and groom. The officiating Clergyman was Rev. F. R. MATTHEWS, B.A., Pastor of the Church. The bride, who was attired in Liberti satin, under white net, and wore a veil and wreath of orange blossoms, with a bouquet of carnations and maidenhair ferns, entered the Church leaning on the arm of her father, who gave her away. She was attended by her sister, Miss Nellie ROBERTS, and Mrs. Jennie DOWDEN, sister of the groom, both of whom were gowned in cream silk, with picture hats to match. The groom was attended by his nephew, Mr. W. EDWARDS. The present to the bride from the groom was a handsome bracelet, and to the bridesmaids, gold rings. When the bride entered the Church, organist PRATT played the hymn, ""The voice that breathed o'er Eden,"" and after the ceremony as the couple were leaving the Church, Mendelssohn's wedding Mar.. Leaving the Church, the bridal party and guests drove to Smithville, where a reception was held, which lasted until near midnight. After dinner, the health of the bride and groom was proposed by Rev. Mr. MATTHEWS, and the health of the bride's and groom's parents by Mr. H. Y. MOTT. The groom, in a very felicitous speech, responded. Dancing followed, in which both old and young engaged. At 10 o'clock, Mr. and Mrs. DOWDEN left by motor for Ferndale, where they will remain until tomorrow afternoon, when they join the Red Cross steamer Florizel for New York, where the honeymoon will be spent, return here being made about the end of Sept.. The presents received were very many and costly, including several cheques. The ""News"" joins with the many friends of the happy couple in wishing them continued happiness through matrimonial life. "
Aug. 30, 1912 MARRIAGE OXTON-TRENBATH: Seldom has a wedding enhanced Wallasey's reputation for doing things prettily, more than that which took place on Wednesday afternoon at St. Mary's Church, Manor Road. Every arrangement was excellent, and though the day was so extremely showery, no trace of gloom or disappointment allowed itself to mar the harmony of the auspicious occasion. The bride was Miss Edith OXTON, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert OXTON, Caithness-Drive, Liscard, and the groom, Mr. Harold V. TRENBATH, second son of Mr. William TRENBATH, Ennerdale Road, New Brighton. Both are very popular young people, and it was only to be expected that much friendly interest should be centered in their marriage. The church, refreshingly decorated with many palms and flowering plants, afforded ample proof of this, for it was well filled, quite early, with fashionably clad relatives and friends. The officiating clergy were the Rev. J. SHAW and the Rev. A. E. SIMPSON (vicar), and the ceremony was very impressive, even more so than usual, perhaps because of the fact that the former reverend gentlemen married the bride's father and mother years ago. Presiding at the organ was Mr. SMITH-WOODS, and the service, fully choral, included the hymns, "The Voice that breathed o'er Eden" and "O Perfect Love." The bridal party was met at the Church door and preceded to the altar by the choir, singing the first processional hymn, and as they moved slowly up the aisle, the bride and her attendant maids of honor formed as dainty a picture as could be imagined. Mr. OXTON gave his daughter away. At the conclusion of the service Mr. SMITH-WOODS' position at the organ was taken by the bride's brother, Mr. Bert OXTON, who rendered Mendelssohn's "Wedding Mar." with much skill and clearness. Young as he is, Mr. OXTON displays considerable knowledge and taste, and promises to become a very fine musician. The best man was the groom's eldest brother, Mr. Ernest TRENBATH - "Wallasey News" Aug 3. (The bride is a niece of Mrs. (Head Constable) PEET of this city.
Aug. 30, 1912 MARRIAGE HICKEY BROWN: At 7 yesterday morning, Miss May HICKEY of the West End, was united in Matrimony to Mr. W. BROWN, of Hon. J. D. RYAN's employ, at Saint Patrick's Church, the ceremony being performed by Rev. J. PIPPY. The bride was attired in cream silk with hat to match, and was attended by her sister, Miss Helen HICKEY. Mr. P. THOMPSON supported the groom. The groom's present to the bride was a gold bracelet, and to the bridesmaid a gold ring. After the ceremony a wedding breakfast was partaken of at the residence of the bride's mother, and by the 8.45 train the newly married couple left for Topsail where the honeymoon will be spent. The "News" extends congratulations.
Aug. 30, 1912 DR. SCULLY "FIRED" AT Yesterday afternoon while Doctor SCULLY was motoring up Barter's Hill, and when almost opposite Finn's Street, a lad who has an aim equal to "Bill" Tell, dropped a stone on the Doctor's head, and with such force that a slight cut was inflicted. The Doctor, in rather quick time, overtook the youngster, and prescribed for him in a very fatherly manner. There is general complaint about boys throwing stones at passing automobiles always with the danger of hitting the driver or occupants.
Aug. 30, 1912 THE OLD POPPY GONE On Wednesday the old "POPPY," which had become a dilapidated spectacle for those visiting the King's wharf, has at last been removed to a place where she may rest with ease, and where she will not be a subject for unpleasant remarks. She had seen her day, and, perhaps, should not be spoken disrespectably of, but her "day was done" and she is better on the bottom of the sea outside the Narrows than she could possibly be in her old position in the harbour, and it will be a good thing when several others that are now lying around this port, are taken out to keep her company. The "POPPY" had given trouble in her day, and continued it to the last, when she almost defied the dredge Priestman, to put her out of sight.
Aug. 30, 1912 NEWFOUNDLANDER KILLED AT SYDNEY The Sydney Post of Monday says: - Two accidents, one of which resulted fatally, occurred at the Steel Plant this morning. Thomas MULLALY, of Newfoundland, a top-man on the pier, was run over by an engine about 6.30 a.m. The engine passed over his stomach. He was taken to Brooklands Hospital immediately, Dr. LYNCH attending him, but his case was hopeless and he passed away about eleven o'clock. MULLALY was thirty-six years old and unmarried. James McDONALD, who is in charge of a blowing engine at the plant, fell off the engine to the floor below, a distance of twenty-five feet. He landed on his back and sustained serious, but it is believed he will recover. MCDONALD is about forty years old, is married and lives on Amelia Street. The inquest into the death of MULLALY will be held at three o'clock this afternoon.

Jan. 7, 1913 MARRIAGE On Tuesday evening, a pretty wedding took place at the residence of Mr. Henry POWELL, when his daughter, Miss Mary A. POWELL was united in matrimonial bonds to Mr. John F. EARLE, son of our esteemed citizen, Mr. Moses EARLE, South Side. The bride, who looked charming in her bridal attire, was attended by her sister, Miss Maggie POWELL, while Mr. A. M. EARLE, brother of the groom, very gracefully assumed the duties of best man. After a bountiful repast, and receiving the congratulations of many assembled friends, the happy couple left for their future home, followed by many good and sincere wishes for a happy wedded life.
Jan. 9, 1913 DEATH (Part 1) At 10.30 a.m. yesterday, there passed away Sir Edward SHEA, in his 93rd year. He was a son of the late Henry SHEA, Merchant of this city, and a Newfoundlander by long descent. With his passing, the last of the old school of Newfoundland statesmen vanishes from the scene. Before men of middle age were born, Sir Edward SHEA occupied a place in the Executive Government of his native land. He was a member of the first Parliament under Responsible Government, and in 1859, when Premier KENT succeeded Premier LITTLE, occupied the seat at the Executive Council Board. His brother, Sir Ambrose SHEA, was his senior by about two years, but it was not till 1865 that he first figured as a member of the Government, though in later life his political activities were more in evidence. In some respects Sir Ambrose and Sir Edward were very different. Sir Ambrose was a strenuous fighter, a man of daring, and of doing.
Jan. 9, 1913 DEATH (Part 2) He was clear visioned, aggressive and a born leader of men. Sir Edward was of a more placid disposition, a thinker and organizer rather than a leader. In his younger days he fought in many a political fight, and his tenacity of purpose and strong conviction were well known; but he sailed political seas less stormy than those which carried the fortunes of the future Governor of the Bahamas. As a counsellor, Sir Edward SHEA was unexcelled. His was the rare ability to weigh impartially the merits and demerits of every public question. No matter what inclination might suggest, the test of cold reason must first be submitted to. For half a century those who have held high places in Newfoundland saw in Sir Edward a Mentor whose counsel, whether palatable or otherwise, was always safe to follow. Up to over ninety years of age Sir Edward retained his faculties to the full and only during recent months was there any serious impairment. His stately figure, as he walked through the city where he was born, and which he loved, was familiar to boys whose grandfathers had known him as a man of prominence.
Jan. 9, 1913 DEATH (Part 3) From 1874 to 1885 he held the portfolio of Colonial Secretary, and in the following year was appointed President of the Legislative Council of which he had long been a member. This position was resigned last year, but throughout the session the venerable and much-loved former president was frequently seen at the sessions of the Council. In 1902 the honour of Knighthood was conferred on him, and the probably unprecedented spectacle of two brothers from one Colony, thus honoured by their Sovereign, was witnessed; whilst three years previously a similar honour had been conferred on his son-in-law, the late Sir Henry Moore JACKSON, the Governor of Trinidad. In 1908 SIR Edward acted as Administrator of the Colony. Lady SHEA, formerly Miss Gertrude CORBETT, passed away in 1903. One son, Mr. George SHEA, for many years a member of the Executive Council, survives him, another son being the late Mr. Edward SHEA, Barrister of this city.
Jan. 9, 1913 DEATH (Part 4) Lady JACKSON, Mrs. MARE, Mrs. William TOBIN, Halifax; Madam BAHEME, France; and Miss Nellie SHEA are daughters. To those and the grandchildren, death comes not unexpectedly, and their sorrow will be lessened by the knowledge that the venerable Statesman had done his life's work well, and has passed beyond the veil followed by the admiration and affection of the whole country. The name of SHEA has long been prominent and there are still those who worthily wear the honours and traditions of the family, but if Sir Edward were the last of the line, the name would remain forever enshrined in the hearts of Newfoundlanders, and be inseparable from the stirring events which have resulted in the evolution of the Old Colony from a fishing station into a prosperous, if numerically small, dominion."God's finger touched him, and he sleeps, but not The sleep of Death, for his immortal soul Shall live forever. Ne'er shall be forgot His sterling worth and goodness."
Jan. 11, 1913 THE OBSEQUIES OF SIR EDWARD SHEA, Kt. At 2.30 o'clock yesterday afternoon the funeral of the late Sir Edward D'ALTON SHEA took place, from the Cochrane House, where he had been for some years in residence. It was largely attended, the members of the Legislative Council and the House of Assembly following the immediate relatives. On arrival at the Cathedral the coffin was conveyed to the Altar, and placed upon the catafalque. Within the rails was His Excellency Sir Ralph WILLIAMS, K.C.M.G., attended by Mr. FITZERBERT, P.S., Capt. GALE, A.D.C., and Capt. GOODRIDGE, A.D.C. The solemn ceremony was conducted by His Grace, Archbishop HOWLEY assisted by the Very Rev. J. ST. JOHN, and Rev. Dr. GREENE, whilst the Rt. Rev. Mgr. ROCHE, Rt. Rev. Mgr. REARDON, and the Rev. D. O'CALLAGHAN took part in the choral service. Amongst those present were the Rt. Hon. Sir E. P. MORRIS, K.C.M.G., Hon. Sir William HORWOOD, Kt., Hon. Mr. Justice EMERSON, Hon. Mr. Justice JOHNSON, Hon. John MORRIS, President of the Legislative Council, the Mayor of St. John's, Presidents of various Societies, and men prominent in all ranks.
Jan. 13, 1913 DECOMPOSED BODY FOUND (Part 1) "DECOMPOSED BODY FOUND OFF BLACKMARSH ROAD, IDENTIFIED AS JOHN GREEN, MISSING SINCE Sept. 2ND LAST: A few minutes before 2 p.m. yesterday Mark WHITEWAY, 89 Bond St., reported at the Western Police Station that he had found a decomposed body about 64? yards off the Black Marsh Road. He had picked up a hat, just near the body, which he brought to the station. On the band of the hat were initials, J.W.G., with the shopmark of the Royal Stores. WHITEWAY brought the headwear to the Western station, and immediately the authorities took up the matter for investigation. WHITEWAY QUESTIONED: Mr. WHITEWAY was questioned forthwith, and told the Police he had left his house, Bond Street, early in the forenoon, for the ""Black Marsh"" for the purpose of snaring rabbits, and to view the surrounding woods to see if any ""beaten tracks"" were there."
Jan. 13, 1913 DECOMPOSED BODY FOUND (Part 2) While making a survey of the surroundings he came across a hat, and a few feet distant a decomposed body frozen in the ice and snow. He made no examination, but took the hat and hurried his footsteps to the nearest place of communication with the Police. WHITEWAY reported that he had found the body about 60 yards from the road, near O'Brien's, to the West about 150? yards. THE POSITION OF THE BODY: WHITEWAY told that the body was in a crouched position, the right knee being almost in a line with the face and the left slightly inclined in an opposite direction. The right hand was close to the right foot, and the left hand as if inclined to lay on the breast. THE POLICE LEAVE FOR SCENE: After particulars from Mr. WHITEWAY, Head Constable PEET, with Constables STAMP and WHEALAN, and Undertaker MARTIN, left for the scene, taking along with them necessary implements to remove the body from the ice. While passing along they engaged the services of Mr. STAMP of the Ropewalk, who, with Mr. WHITEWAY, acted as guide.
Jan. 13, 1913 DECOMPOSED BODY FOUND (Part 3) When they reached the scene, they found the body as reported, and with axes and picks had to cut it from its frozen position. They placed it on the hearse, and about 5 p.m. reached the city, the body then being placed in the morgue. WHAT THE POLICE FOUND: In removing the corpse from the ice and snow, the Police came across a revolver, which was near the right foot, or almost within reach of the hand. The revolver was taken by Head PEET and handed over to the authorities, as were some other articles, such as papers, etc., found near the body. At the morgue relatives and friends of the missing man GREEN were invited to visit the place, for the purpose of identifying the remains. A brother-in-law of deceased quickly concluded that the decomposed corpse was the one they looked for, identifying it by the clothing and also the hat, which bore the shopmark of Royal Stores, and his initials on the band inside the rim. The revolver, which, as mentioned above, was found near the right hand, contained four empty cartridges, and one filled.
Jan. 13, 1913 DECOMPOSED BODY FOUND (Part 4) "When the former were discharged is unknown, and it is a matter for the report of a post mortem as to whether deceased used the revolver on his person or not. THE IDENTIFICATION: That the body is that of John GREEN there is no dispute. In his clothing was found a gold watch known to be his, which stopped at 6.05. A purse, containing some $16.00 cash, and an accident insurance policy. The watch chain was also identified, and some other articles in his clothing, which left no doubt in the minds of his friends, as to identification. ABOUT HIS DEPARTURE: John GREEN left his home, Hamilton Street, 6 a.m. Monday, Sept. 2nd, and was last seen by a workman of the Bennett Brewery Co. about 6.30. At that time GREEN was, to all appearances, in good health, and not returning the next day, friends reported him missing."
Jan. 13, 1913 DECOMPOSED BODY FOUND (Part 5) "During the week following, all endeavours were made to find him, but without avail. Several stories were abroad that he had gone to New York, to Montreal, etc., and while some credence was given them at first, later events proved they were absurd. BRIGADES' SEARCH: The following Sunday, Sept. 8th, the City Brigades, C.L.B., C.C.C., M.G.B. and Highlanders and Scouts made a search for the body, covering all the section of the country where it was likely he would be found. During the following week the search was continued by others, without result. FUNERAL: It has not been decided what time the funeral will take place, but it is expected some time during the forenoon. Deceased was a member of S.O.E., Dudley Lodge, who are invited to attend. "
Jan. 22, 1913 DEATH Mrs. KENNEDY, widow of the late Captain John KENNEDY, of Holyrood, passed away at her home at 5 o'clock last evening, at the advanced age of 90 years. Her husband predeceased her only a few months ago. The deceased lady was widely known and respected throughout the district during her long life, and she leaves behind many friends who will hear with regret of her demise. She had the consolation during her last days on earth, of seeing the most of the members of her large family of sons and daughters, by whom she was venerated, and of whom she could feel proud. She was the mother of R.J. KENNEDY, Govt. Inspector of Railways; Captains Walter, Mike, James and Thomas, all of whom are well and favorably known, being of the sterling type of manhood which characterized their forefathers in days past, and who have been successful in their various callings on land and sea. They mourn the loss of a good mother, and in their bereavement they have the sympathy of a large circle of friends, in which the "News" joins.
Jan. 22, 1913 MATE FINN, OF LAKE SIMCOE, DROWNED "Yesterday afternoon Messrs. Baine Johnston and Co. received word that the barqt. Lake Simcoe, Capt. WILSON, had arrived at Pernambuco the previous day from this port after encountering severe weather during which she shipped a heavy sea which stove in the cabin doors and skylights, flooded the cabin, and swept the decks of everything movable. The message continued that her mainsail (?) had to be cut away and part of the cargo jettisoned, in order to save her from being lost; and further that the Mate, James FINN, had been washed overboard and drowned. The vessel left here on Dec. 18th and the fatality occurred eight days later, during the same storm it is thought as we had on Christmas Day in the city, and which overtook the ship. Immediately on receipt of the news Mr. J.C. HEPBURN of Baine Johnston and Co. communicated with Rev. Dr. GREENE, who broke the sad tidings to the widow and relatives of the unfortunate seaman. ""Jimmy"" FINN, as he was familiarly known, was considered, although a young man, being about thirty-three years of age, one of the finest seaman sailing out of the port, knowing his business thoroughly. About four years ago he secured his Master's ticket, but was unfortunate in losing his first command, though not through any lack of knowledge of seamanship, and since then had been sailing out of Baine Johnston and Co's employ, practically all the time on the vessel from which he was lost. He was held in the highest esteem by his employees and all who knew him, being quiet, unassuming and always attentive to his duties. Within little over a year the sea has claimed no less than three members of the FINN family; John being lost in the Erna; Thomas in the Grace, and now James. To the bereaved widow and parents the heartfelt sympathy of the whole community will be extended."
Jan. 23, 1913 DEATH Capt. P. DILLON, a well known seaman, passed away at the General Hospital early yesterday morning. During the last voyage of the barquentine "Rosina", of which he had been in command for several years, he suffered from heart trouble, and on reaching here was seriously ill. A few days after arrival, he was removed from the residence to Hospital, where the end came. For many years, he was in the employ of A. GOODRIDGE & Son's, and called "before the mast" with Captains STRONG and CALLAHAN before obtaining his Master's certificate. He was a thorough seaman, and was held in the highest esteem by his employers. A widow and nine children, to whom sympathy will be extended, are left to mourn.
Jan. 27, 1913 LAST NIGHT'S DOUBLE FIRE (Part 1) SEVEN FAMILIES RENDERED HOMELESS. FIREMEN WORK WELL UNDER TRYING CONDITIONS: Last night while the mercury hovered about zero, the city had two fires, which were responsible for rendering seven families homeless, and destroying property to the value of thousands of dollars. The fires were in Harvey Road and Gower Street, respectively. The first alarm was sent in at 9.40, the Central and Western Companies responding; and the second at 11.30, the Central and Eastern Companies turnout out. When the firemen reached Harvey Road, they found a house occupied by Timothy CONNORS, and owned by John RICE, in flames, which were rapidly spreading to the adjoining houses. The Central men, who were first to arrive, and soon had a couple of good streams of water going, while in the meantime the fighters, with the aid of the chemical, attempted to arrest the flames and confine the fire to the one house.
Jan. 27, 1913 LAST NIGHT'S DOUBLE FIRE (Part 2) In this they were partly successful, though the house adjoining CONNORS' at the Eastern end, and occupied by Mr. QUINTELL and family, took blaze on the second flat. Under trying circumstances, with the water freezing almost as soon as it left the hose, the firemen kept steadily at work, and succeeded in preventing the fire reaching greater proportions, though the two adjoining houses to the West, occupied by Mrs. BURTON and Mrs. RYAN and Mr. FANNING, were badly damaged by smoke and water, the former being forced to leave. After some two hours' fighting, the "all out" signal was sent in, CONNORS' dwelling being practically destroyed with all its contents, QUINTELL's also partly destroyed and most of his furniture. RYAN's and FANNING's did not catch owing to the good work of the firemen, who suffered terribly. Several of the men were badly frostbitten. The hose men, after fighting the blaze for a few minutes, were scarcely able to move in their clothing, which was coated with ice, and time and again they had to assist each other in breaking off the ice so that they could work more freely.
Jan. 27, 1913 LAST NIGHT'S DOUBLE FIRE (Part 3) The origin of the fire was thus traced by the Police. Mr. CONNORS, who occupied the house where it started, has had the place closed for some time, and was living with MR. John RICE, his father-in-law. Last night, about 9 o'clock, he visited the place to learn if it had been visited during his absence. While examining the house it is supposed that he unconsciously dropped the end of a lighted match. When he left, Mr. CONNORS says, there was no fire that he was aware of, though he thinks the Police solution is the proper one, and he had lighted some matches in the kitchen. He thinks about half an hour elapsed from the time when he left the place until the alarm was sent in. His house and furniture were covered by insurance, as well as the house occupied by Mr. QUINTELL. Scarcely had the brigades returned to their halls, when an alarm from box 34 at the corner of Prescott St., called them to Gower St., where a fire broke out in a residence just East of LAWRENCE's Carriage Factory, occupied by two young women and two boys named CULLEN, the mother of the family being absent, as she is Stewardess on the Prospero, now at the Northward.
Jan. 27, 1913 LAST NIGHT'S DOUBLE FIRE (Part 4) The blaze was caused through a lamp which was being used to thaw out the pipes, as it was thought they were frozen, the supply being really shut off owing to the other fire, igniting the woodwork in the basement. Mr. F. SAMUELSON, who occupies the ground flat of the adjoining house, heard the crackling of the flames as they worked through the space between the walls, and went to CULLEN's, to discover the cause. Glancing up he saw the blaze suddenly burst from the top story, and immediacy ran and sent in the alarm. The firemen were quickly on the scene, but as the water was turned off at Prescott Street, were unable to obtain a supply for about ten minutes. The chemical was brought into use, but owing to the delay, the fire rapidly gained headway and soon spread to the second house in which three families reside, SAMUELSON's, WADDEN's, and BUTLER's. Finally six streams were obtained, but for a considerable time had little effect. The intense frost made the firemen's task harder than usual, but they worked splendidly, and confined the flames to the two dwellings, though for a while a third, occupied by Mr. J. DOBBIN, seemed in danger of being destroyed.
Jan. 27, 1913 LAST NIGHT'S DOUBLE FIRE (Part 5) Inspector General SULLIVAN was early on the scene, and superintended operations, while Messrs. J. VINNICOMBE, J. CROTTY and other volunteers ably assisted the regulars, and also did good work in removing household effects. Not until 1.15 this morning, or an hour and three quarters from the sending in of the alarm, was the fire completely subdued. The greater part of the furniture in both houses was destroyed by the flames, or damaged by water, the buildings themselves being gutted. The loss to the different owners is a heavy one, as none of them carried insurance. After giving the alarm Mr. SAMUELSON rushed to his house and quickly arousing his younger brother, who had retired, being ill, took him to a place of safety. Returning, he met Mrs. BUTLER descending the stairs from the top flat with nothing but her night clothes on, and brought her to the residence of Mrs. COLEMAN across the street, where she was made comfortable and given every attention. The unfortunate woman is in a delicate state of health, having been released from the Hospital only about a month ago. There were several children in the houses, but all escaped safely, though had the fire not been discovered so quickly the result would possibly be different. The fact that there was no wind, doubtless prevented a general conflagration, as all the buildings in the neighbourhood are of wood, and the carriage factory, only a few doors away, contains a large quantity of oils, varnishes, etc.
Jan. 27, 1913 BAPTISM Sunday evening the rite of Christian Baptism was administered to ten candidates at the Cook's Town Road Church, Elder Wm. C. YOUNG officiating. Every available place in the building was occupied, temporary seats having been improvised, yet the seating capacity, although enlarged, was taxed to its utmost to accommodate the crowd desirous of witnessing this burial by Baptism. The speaker took for his text Eph. 4:5, coupled with it the communion given by Christ to His disciples just before leaving the earth, arguing that whilst it is possible to be divided in opinion, as to method and object of a Christian ordinance, so long as its teaching is confined to precept alone, yet when enforced by the example of so many of the Apostles, a unity of understanding is easy of accomplishment. The speaker then read the account of how the Apostles Peter, Philip, James, John, Annanias and Paul demonstrated both method and object. Judging by the number that regularly attend these Sunday evening lectures they must be growing popular.
Jan. 27, 1913 ADVERTISEMENT THERE ARE FEW BILLS you'll pay with so much pleasure as those we'll ask for our FINE TAILORING. Since we must wear clothes, why not those that fit, keep in shape and add distinction? We've been tailoring for many years, and we put our experience into every Suit we make. Reasonable prices, too. Try us.CHAPLIN, King of Tailors. Phone No. 3J ? P.O. Box 1173
Jan. 30, 1913 IN MEMORIAM. CAPTAIN PATRICK DILLON "I saw the stout Rosina go, On her last voyage from here, Her sailors' merry yo, heave ho, Rang sweetly on the air. I saw her down the harbour glide, Fanned by the evening breeze, Her canvas spreading high and wide, To waft o'er the seas. And as the wavelets pressed her prow, I thought on him so brave, But never dreamed that he would now, Lie in the silent grave. The rosy hue of health he bore, And stalwart was his form, No mariner braver left our shore, To face the ruthless storm. And no more tender heart e'er gleamed, Within a human breast; Poor DILLON, as his friends know showed, True manhood of the best. So can you blame me if I dreamed, When he last sailed away, That sure promotion for him beamed, Some not far distant day. Oh, vain are all our hopes and skill, Dead is our native son; It was the Great Almighty's Will, So let His Will be done." A FRIEND. St. John's, Jan. 29, 1913
Jan. 30, 1913 MARRIAGE KENNEDY - DOODY: At the bride's residence at 7 o'clock on Sunday evening, a quiet and pretty wedding was solemnised by Rev. Mgr. F.D. McCARTHY, the contracting parties being Mr. Stanley KENNEDY, son of the late Capt. John KENNEDY, and Miss Mary C. DOODY. The bride was becomingly attired in a gown of blue voile. She was attended as bridesmaid by her cousin, Miss FINLAY, and was given away by her uncle, Mr. Patk. JOY, while the groom was ably supported by his brother, Mr. Nicholas KENNEDY. The interesting ceremony was witnessed by a select company of immediate friends. The toast of the occasion was proposed by Mgr. MCCARTHY, who spoke the general sentiment of the community when referred to the bride as one of our most popular young ladies, and was in full accord with a large circle when he conveyed the best wishes for a happy and prosperous voyage over the matrimonial sea. Mr. P. JOY responded in pleasant manner. The bride was the recipient of many handsome and useful gifts which, in some measure, attest the esteem in which she is held. The newly-married couple with reside in Mr. KENNEDY's newly-erected dwelling. CORRESPONDENT. Carbonear, Jan. 27, 1913.

Feb. 3, 1913 DOUBLE DROWNING Part 1) DOUBLE DROWNING SATURDAY AFTERNOON. FRED JANES AND SAMUEL BARTLETT, VICTIMS. BOAT IN WHICH THEY WERE, AND IN TOW OF, TUG JOHN GREEN, SWAMPED. JOSEPH MOYST, A SURVIVOR, TELLS STORY OF TRAGEDY. Fred JANES, aged 17 years, and Samuel BARTLETT, aged 22 years, were drowned Saturday afternoon in the harbour. Joseph MOYST, uncle of the former, who was in the boat with them, was saved. The boat which carried the two men to death was being towed up the harbour by the tug John Green and "swamped" when off Stabb's wharf. The body of BARTLETT was recovered yesterday forenoon. There was general comment as to the happening, yesterday, throughout the city, many offering the opinion that thoughtlessness played a part in the tragedy. THE DROWNING AND WHAT LED TO IT. Joseph MOYST, interviewed by the "News" yesterday, told the following story: About 3 p.m. Saturday, in company with his nephew, Fred JANES, and Samuel BARTLETT, he left Bowring Bros. wharf in a small punt, taking along a gun for bird shooting. Getting to the Eastern end of the harbour and towards the North Battery, about 300 yards off Wood's wharf, the boat got jammed in the slob ice, and with the wind blowing strongly from S.E. the frail boat was forced further into the slob.
Feb. 3, 1913 DOUBLE DROWNING Part 2) "The three men tried their best to row the punt out through which proved futile, and MOYST fired three shots from the gun to attract attention. In the meantime the men's predicament was seen from the shore but as there was little fear of them driving outside the Narrows, that attention that would otherwise have been given was not forthcoming. Soon before 5 p.m. a telephone message was sent from Hynes & Co's to the Tug Office, asking that one of the latter's boats be sent to the assistance of the small craft. There was a response within a short time and the ""John Green,"" Captain ROBERTS, was ordered to the scene. Taking the boat in tow, the survivor says, she was taken out of the slob quickly, and with a line of about four fathoms swinging from the port side, the tug started to steam up the harbour. ""STOP, FOR GOD'S SAKE; WE ARE SWAMPING"" Mr. MOYST continued, and said that when only a few yards from the ice the boat began to take aboard water, and within a few minutes she was almost filled. He went forward and shouted to those on board the John GREEN ""Stop, for God's sake; we are swamping."" He repeated the call four times, without attracting the attention of any aboard the tug."
Feb. 3, 1913 DOUBLE DROWNING Part 3) When off STABB's wharf, or near there, Mr. MOYST repeats, the boat went under, "stern foremost." BARTLETT, who was sitting aft was first to strike the water; JANES, who was amidships, was next to go, and MOYST, who was forward shouting to the John GREEN's crew, was fortunate enough to grasp the towing rope. Young JANES managed to catch hold of his coat, but the resistance of the water was so great the tug still being under speed that he let go his grasp after a few moments, and he sank to rise no more. MOYST, who is of strong physique, succeeded in holding the line, and was eventually dragged aboard the tow boat. A STRANGE STORY. MOYST further told the "News" that when he was pulled aboard the tug he asked permission to go below to the engine room as he was shivering from the effects of the sea bath, but it was only with reluctance that he was permitted to do so. He says he was chilled to the marrow, and that warmth was most necessary to help him recover from a shock that few only pass through. SEARCH MADE. The tug, after the accident had been made known to those on board, was turned round, and all possible done to rescue the drowning men, but darkness coming on, the search had to be soon abandoned, without anything of JANES or BARTLETT being seen.
Feb. 3, 1913 DOUBLE DROWNING Part 4) SUFFERING WHILE IN THE ICE. While in the ice for about two hours, during the zenith of the rain and wind storm, the men suffered terribly. Not one of them had oil cloths, and long before the tug came to their assistance they were drenched. They tried in every possible manner to get the boat free, but to no purpose, and eventually signalled for assistance and fired the distress guns. When they left in tow of the tug, there was considerable water in the punt, and it is not unlikely that she had been more or less damaged in the ice. The boat is now at the tug wharf, in a damaged condition. BODY FOUND. Yesterday, at daylight, a search for the bodies was commenced, and at 10:30 the body of BARTLETT was brought to the surface by Messrs. C. HOLWELL and John KAVANAGH, who raised it with jiggers. It was immediately taken to the morgue, and later Undertaker COLLIER took it in charge, and after preparing for burial, had the corpse removed to the home of the parents of deceased, Monroe Street, from where the funeral takes place. DIVER SEARCHING. After a vain search for the body of young JANES during the forenoon, the services of diver SQUIRES were availed of. He devoted the whole afternoon to the search, but without success. The gun, however, which the men had with them, was taken from the bottom, and it is not unlikely that the other body will be recovered today.
Feb. 3, 1913 DOUBLE DROWNING Part 5) THE PARENTS' GRIEF. Mr. and Mrs. JANES, of Barter's Hill, parents of Fred JANES, are naturally distracted over the tragic ending of their oldest son. He was a bright, smart lad, idolized by his parents, held in the highest esteem by his playmates, and with the employees of the Postal Telegraphs, where he worked, was a general favorite. Samuel BARTLETT was also a promising young man, in his 22nd year, and resided with his parents in Monroe Street, who are deeply saddened over his fatal ending. The friends of both youths will have the sympathy of the whole community. TRAGEDY COULD HAVE BEEN AVERTED. It is the opinion of many that the tragedy could have been averted. The boat's crew, they think, should have been taken aboard the tug, as the conditions were such as to warrant this action, instead of towing. However, a full enquiry will be held into the matter by the authorities, during the week, and if blame there be, it will be attached to those responsible.
Feb. 3, 1913 HOCKEY "TONIGHT'S HOCKEY. The Crescents and St. Bon's will be the contestants in this evening's hockey match. The line up will be: Crescents ---- St. Bon's THOMAS goal WALSH G. HERDER point CALLAHAN HUTCHINGS cover KEATING JOY rover R. CALLAHAN L. STICK right QUINN RENNIE centre EDENS R. HERDER left RENNIE [I had difficulty trying to add punctuation to the above, so I have decided to leave it exactly as I found it. G. White.]"
Feb. 3, 1913 NEW GRAB The Marine and Fisheries Department received a message Saturday from Capt. W. H. BARTLETT, now at Fortune, stating that the new grab, recently imported and forwarded by the Portia, had just been tried, and gave every satisfaction. In four hours it took up 300 tons from a hard, gravelly bottom.

Mar. 26, 1913 DEATH "On Monday night Mr. J.R. GOODRIDGE of the firm of Alan GOODRIDGE and Sons, passed away at Algiers in his 70th years, leaving two sons, Harold and Avalon, and two daughters Misses Marie and Evelyn. Mr. GOODRIDGE had been in poor health for some years, but the sunny climate of North Africa was apparently doing him much good, and a speedy termination to his illness was not looked for. Mr. GOODRIDGE spent some months here last year, leaving for England early in Dec.. His passing is deeply regretted not only by his immediate family circle but by citizens generally, who held him in merited esteem as a gentleman whose life abounded in kindness, courtesy and true manhood. Of him it might truly be said, in the words of he late Laureate, ""He bore without abuse The grand old name of gentleman."" To his brother, the Hon. A. F. GOODRIDGE, his children and relatives the News voices the general sympathy that is felt for them in their sad bereavement."
Mar. 26, 1913 DEATH On St. Patrick's Day, at Holyrood, Mrs. WALSH, widow of the late Patrick WALSH, passed away after a short illness, at the age of 90 years. Her husband predeceased her many years ago. She was the mother of 9 sons, of whom 4 are living. She was well known and highly respected, and her many friends will learn of her death with sincere sorrow. - R.I.P.
Mar. 26, 1913 DEATH Yesterday afternoon Mr. James O'NEIL, of the R.N. Co.'s electric light department, passed away at his residence, Water Street West, after a painful illness. Mr. O'NEIL contracted a severe cold some months ago, and gradually grew worse, despite best medical skill. Deceased, who was in his 30th year, leaves a widow, father and four sisters to mourn, to whom much sympathy is expressed.
Mar. 26, 1913 NOTICE In accordance with Act 2nd, George V., Capt. 17, entitled: "An Act for the raising of a sum of money, by loan for the Public Service of the Colony, the Minister of Finance is hereby authorized to raise by loan upon the credit of the Colony, the sum of Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Dollars by sale of Denture Bonds with Interest Coupons attached. Interest at the rate of four per cent per annum payable half yearly on the first days of Jan. and July in each year. M.P. CASHIN, Minister of Finance.
Mar. 26, 1913 PERSONALS Mr. W. J. WALSH is in the city on a visit from Placentia. Mr. Ernest R. WATSON has been elected a Fellow of the Royal Colonial Constituate. Mr. J. MOORE, of Carbonear, is at present visiting the city, on business, and registered at the Crosbie. Insp. O'BRIEN, who had been confined to his home the last two weeks, suffering from a severe attack of la-grippe? is now able to be at his office again.
Mar. 26, 1913 DEATH On Tuesday evening, at 4 o'clock, Henry REES, leaving a wife, four sons and one daughter, to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Thursday, at 2.30 p.m., from his late residence, 22 Mullock Street. Friends will please accept this, the only intimation.
Mar. 26, 1913 DEATH "Yesterday afternoon, after a painful illness, James O'NEIL, of the Reid-Newfoundland Company's electrical department, leaving a widow, father and four sisters, to mourn their loss. Funeral tomorrow, Thursday, at 2.30 p.m., from his late residence, 194 Water St. West. Friends and acquaintances please accept this, the only intimation."
Mar. 26, 1913 DEATH Passed peacefully away at 2.30 o'clock yesterday afternoon, Julia Pike, beloved wife of Thomas WINSOR, of Carbonear. She leaves a husband, four sisters, and 2 brothers, to mourn their sad loss. The remains will be taken to Carbonear on Thursday morning for interment. Never will her memory fade; Sweeter thoughts will ever linger Round the grave where she is laid.
Mar. 26, 1913 DEATH The funeral of the late Nicholas J. ANGEL takes place at 2.30 p.m. today, from his late residence, Hamilton St.
Mar. 26, 1913 POLICE REPORT Only two arrests were made last night, both for inebriation. The offenders will appear in court today.
Mar. 26, 1913 ADVERTISEMENT The new Toric Lenses add to your field of Vision. Manufactured by H? H. TRAPNELL, Eyesight specialist.
Mar. 26, 1913 FISHERY The whaler Cabot, Capt. BULL, will be leaving for Balena during the week, and is now being fitted up by the crew. Manager ELLIOTT has already proceeded to the factory to make preparations for the season's work.

Apr. 19, 1913 DEATH "Last evening, after a very short illness, Florence Maud (Floss) FLYNN, daughter of John and Mary FLYNN, aged 20 years. Funeral at 2.30 p.m. Saturday from her late residence, Topsail road. Boston papers please copy."
Apr. 19, 1913 DEATH On Thursday after a brief illness, Patrick, son of the late Edward and Mary DOYLE, aged 49? years, leaving two sisters to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Sunday 2.30 p.m. from his late residence, 56 Mullock St. Friends and acquaintances will please accept this, the only intimation.
Apr. 19, 1913 DEATH Last evening, after a long illness, Johanna, widow of the late Thomas McGRATH, Carriage Builder. Funeral tomorrow, Sunday, at 2.30 p.m., from her late residence 267 South Side Road. Friends and acquaintances please accept this, the only intimation.
Apr. 21, 1913 DEATH A venerable lady passed away at the residence of her son, on Freshwater Road, on Sunday night, in the person of Mrs. Elizabeth HART, widow of the late William HART, of Trinity, and mother of Mr. Walter HART, of this city. Mrs. HART had been an invalid for the past three years but only a month ago did her illness assume serious form. She leaves besides her son, Walter, two others, F. J. HART and George HART, of F. J. HART & Co. of New Westminster, British Columbia; also several grandchildren, one of whom is Mr. Sidney HART, Accountant at the Department of Agriculture and Mines. The funeral will take place at Trinity. Mrs. HART was 88 years of age.
Apr. 21, 1913 DEATH Mr. Jonathan SNOW, Shipwright, well known in the city, and particularly in the West End, died at the General Hospital yesterday morning, at the ripe old age of 87 years. Deceased was by years the oldest of the Shipwrights in the city, and up to last year, was able to be at work about the dry dock, and his passing is only another removal of one of the old landmarks in St. John's.
Apr. 21, 1913 DEATH Yesterday morning, after a somewhat protracted illness, Leo, only son of Mr. P.J. O'NEIL, of the Customs Department, passed to the Great Beyond. Deceased was a bright, intelligent young man, and it will be with regret that his demise will be learned of by numerous friends. To the bereaved family general sympathy is expressed, in which the "News" joins.
Apr. 21, 1913 DEATH At 7 o'clock Saturday morning, Bertha, wife of Capt. COUCH, of the S.S. Adventure, passed away, at her residence, Gower St., after an illness of ????? ??????. Mrs. COUCH suffered from internal trouble, and a short while ago was removed to the General Hospital, but there being no noticeable change in her condition, and no possible chance of a cure, she was conveyed home Wednesday last. Deceased had numerous friends in the city, who will regret her early demise. To Capt. COUCH and family we extend sympathy.
Apr. 21, 1913 MARRIAGE CULLEN - O'DRISCOLL: A very quiet wedding was solemnised in the Chapel of our Lady of Good Council, on Monday morning last by the Rev. Fr. McDERMOTT, the contracting parties being Miss Matilda O'DRISCOLL, daughter of Mrs. Elizabeth O'DRISCOLL, and Mr. Stan CULLEN. The bride was given away by her elder brother, Mr. Michael O'DRISCOLL, Miss MOREY, of Ferryland, cousin of the bride, and Mr. J. CAMPBELL, performed the duties of bridesmaid and best man, respectively. After the ceremony, the bride and groom drove to Brennocks', where the honeymoon will be spent. A large number of valuable presents have been received.
Oct. 4, 1913 SUDDEN DEATH OF JOSEPH PIPPY Joseph PIPPY, aged 69 years, night Coxwain of H. M. Customs boat, was found dead in George Street East at 10:30 last night. Death resulted from heart trouble. "Skipper Joe", as he was familiarly called, left the Customs boat house about 9:50, as was usual, to visit the Postal Telegraphs and Anglo Offices. He was evidently taking a short route across George St. from the Post Office, and passing along, fell dead. A lad reported to Constable STAMP that a man was lying in the street, and the Officer investigating, found Mr. PIPPY dead. The body was taken to the morgue, and examination showed that there were no marks of violence on the body, while the testimony of the medical examiner was that death was due to heart trouble. Deceased leaves a son and two daughters, who have the sympathy of the whole community in their bereavement.
Oct. 17, 1913 DEATH The passing on Sunday morning, from the effects of pneumonia, of Mr. Arthur POMEROY, at his home in Fogo, has evoked the deep sympathy of the communtity there. He was in the prime of life, only 38 years of age, and held in general respect and esteem. Mr. POMEROY left a widow and nine young children, the youngest 7 months old, and the eldest only 11 years. To the bereaved widow and her family, the "News" voices the general sympathy in their sorrow, because of the loss of their dearly loved husband and father.
Oct. 17, 1913 MARRIAGE O'REILLY - MacKENZIE: On the 16th inst., by the Rt. Rev. Monsignor ROCHE, V.G., Miss Rose O'REILLY to Mr. James MacKENZIE.
Oct. 17, 1913 DEATH Yesterday morning at Signal Hill Hospital, Richard FARRELL, aged 65 years. Funeral to-day, from Hospital at 2:30. May his soul rest in peace.
Oct. 17, 1913 DEATH At Fogo, on Sunday morning, Oct. 12th, Arthur POMEROY, aged 38, leaving a widow and nine children to mourn the loss of an affectionate husband and father.
Oct. 17, 1913 DEATH On Oct. 16th, after an illness of long duration, Sara, eldesrt daughter of the late William and Mary Woods DAYMOND. Funeral on Saturday, at 2:30 o'clock, from "Elsonia", Monkstown Road. Friends will please accept this invitation.
Oct. 17, 1913 POEM "There lies a Land in the West and North, Whither the bravest men went forth, And daunted not by fog or ice, Full two thousand miles it lay, Washed by a sea of English grey, And they called it Newfoundland at sight, It's rather the Land of Heart's Delight. I have seen the Mediterranean's blue, Lazily lapping the Southern Shores, And groves where the golden orange grew, And the Cypress shading Cathedral doors; And I have seen and known. But I love the cliffs of a rugged land, With hardly a hold for foot or hand; Lakes that nestle between the hills, A brook that runs wherever it wills; Here the wildfowl finds his home, Here the bear and beaver roam. This I have loved and known. I have seen the Tiber, the Thames, the Rhine, And stately palaces o'er them shine, And lights like stars on the river's breast. At night, for the rivers know no rest; All I have seen and known. But I love the brooks of a land far North, That out of an unknown hill flow forth, And sing their way to the tall spruce trees, The song that the hills have sent to the seas, And I know the swirls where the big fish lay, And the runs in the wrecks where the small fish play; This I have loved and known. I have seen the moon in the desert space, Flooding the Pyramid's stony face, And guarding the banks of the sacred Nile, Pharoahs, carved in an ancient style; All I have seen and known. But on moonlit nights in the Land I love, I have slept with the trees and the sky above, By burning logs that sputter and weep, And a river that sobs itself to sleep, And perhaps with frightened eyes that blink, The timid deer comes down to drink, This I have loved and known. I have seen sweet places in foreign lands, And gardens tended by cunning hands, Houses old as the hills in fame, Rearing the weight of a foreign name, All I have seen and known. But Nature gardens the land I choose, And gives her names as lovers use - FORTUNE BAY - Was this Fortune Love? CONCEPTION - Borrowed from heaven above! BREAKHEART POINT - What a world of woe! A maiden watching her lover go. HEART'S CONTENT - Here they come at last. When the toil and grief of their life was past - These I have loved and known. There lies a Land in the West and North, Whither the bravest men went forth, And daunted not by fog or ice, They reached at last to a Paradise; A land to be won by men who durst, No wonder the English chose it first, And they called it Newfoundland at sight, It's rather the land of Heart's Delight." P. E. G.

Dec. 29 1912 Mr. Tasker COOK appointed Officier d'Academie' by the French Government
Dec. 30 1912 Dr. Cluny MacPHERSON gazetted as Knight of Grace of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem.

Jan. 1, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Elijah BENSON, 84. Capt. Patrick DELANEY, 68.
Jan. 3, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Bridget ASHLEY.
Jan. 9, 1913 NECROLOGY John NASH, 43. Louisa LOCKE, 52. Mrs. Mary (Patrick) CARRIGAN. Francis LEARY, 51.
Jan. 10, 1913 NECROLOGY Thomas PARKER, 62. Edward CUMMINS, 20. Jan. 15 William STEVENSON, 63.
Jan. 19, 1913 NECROLOGY Aug.us HUTCHINGS, 31.
Jan. 24, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Charlotte COOPER, 55.
Jan. 25, 1913 NECROLOGY Alick DEMPSTER, 16. Mrs. Caroline COWAN, Brookfield, 90. Mrs. Johanna MOLLOY. Capt. John JACKMAN.
Jan. 26, 1913 NECROLOGY Andrew O'NEILL, Cooper, 60. Miss Kitty POWER, 20.
Jan. 27, 1913 NECROLOGY "Hon. James S. PITTS, C.M.G., 66. D. W. PROWSE, K.C., C.M.G., 80. Mrs. Elizabeth Ann CASEY, 70. Miss Una May TAYLOR, 22."
Jan. 29, 1913 NECROLOGY Rev. Dr. Frederick WOODS at Melrose, Mass., 80.
Jan. 31, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Margaret LEARY. Denis McCARTHY, 70. Michael FITZGERALD, 58.

Feb. 4, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Bridget FURLONG.
Feb. 6, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Julia (Albert) WHITTEN, South Side. Samuel SHAW.
Feb. 13, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. (Hon. Dr.) SKELTON, 76. Mrs. Lizzie Cleary (Thomas) MORRIS. Capt. John GREEN, 90.
Feb. 14, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. W. A. O'D. KELLY, 35. Mrs. Thomas SPOONER. Miss Emily Gertrude PAYNE, 22.
Feb. 15, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. M. O'FLANNIGAN.
Feb. 17, 1913 NECROLOGY Henry G. COLLIS. John M. McDONALD, 36. Mrs. Reta Sinnott JONES at London Ont., 25.
Feb. 18, 1913 NECROLOGY Robert Edgar HORWOOD, 80. Mrs. Hannah HARVEY, 50. Miss LeGALLAIS at Leamington Spa?, England, 79.
Feb. 19, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Catherine LAWLOR, 73.
Feb. 20, 1913 NECROLOGY John J. FURLONG at Boston, Mass., 35.
Feb. 21, 1913 NECROLOGY John BRICK, 22. James LANGSTON, in Chicago, 63.
Feb. 25, 1913 NECROLOGY W. A. MARSHALL (Marshall Bros.), at Manchester, England, 43. Mrs. Olivia TAYLOR, 65.
Feb. 28, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Sarah Ann (D.W.) PROWSE, 84. Michael DILLON, 47.

Mar. 4, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. James WALKER at Montreal.
Mar. 11, 1913 NECROLOGY Hon. W. J. S. DONNELLY, 70. Miss Bridget HOGAN, 83.
Mar. 13, 1913 NECROLOGY James MULLINS, 38.
Mar. 18, 1913 NECROLOGY Joseph J. NEWMAN, 68.
Mar. 19, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Mary EGAN, 74.
Mar. 21, 1913 NECROLOGY James NASH, farmer, 57.
Mar. 22, 1913 NECROLOGY Edward J. RAWLINS, 57.
Mar. 27, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Elizabeth H. SYMONDS, 57.
Mar. 30, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. W. R. WARREN, 34. Gordon RYALL, 17.
Mar. 31, 1913 NECROLOGY John CUMMINS, 69.

Apr. 1, 1913 NECROLOGY Charles S. PINSENT, 75. Mrs. Margaret KEAN, 70. Mrs. ???? BYRNE. John WILLIAMS, Forest House, the Goulds, 89.
Apr. 3, 1913 NECROLOGY Thomas BURTON, 55.
Apr. 6, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Susie Whalen MEANEY, 42.
Apr. 8, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. H. E. GREAVES.
Apr. 9, 1913 NECROLOGY W. J. REDSTONE at Halifax, 46.
Apr. 10, 1913 NECROLOGY Richard RYAN, 77.
Apr. 12, 1913 NECROLOGY Laurence J. COADY.
Apr. 15, 1913 NECROLOGY James G. DWYER, 44. Patrick McCAFFEY, 62.
Apr. 21, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Mary MEANEY, 58.
Apr. 23, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Thomas MOTT at Dartmouth, N.S., 83.
Apr. 24, 1913 NECROLOGY Donald McRae BROWNING, M.A, K.C., 54. Apr. 26 Terence McNAMARA, 68. Const. W. Mar., 50. Mrs. Maria RYAN, 67.
Apr. 27, 1913 NECROLOGY Miss Madge FANNING, 18. Jacob CHAFE, South Side.
Apr. 28, 1913 NECROLOGY Capt. Richard MEALEY, 57.
Apr. 29, 1913 NECROLOGY Edward KELLY, carpenter. Samuel Ashton EALES, 80.

May 2, 1913 NECROLOGY Patrick D. BURKE, H.M.C., 56.
May 3, 1913 NECROLOGY Mary MOLLOY, 80. Miss Annie M. MEAGHER.
May 5, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Richard HARVEY, 42.
May 6, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Mary MARSHALL, 32.
May 7, 1913 NECROLOGY John DUFFITT, 74.
May 9, 1913 NECROLOGY William John BRAGUE, 21.
May 10, 1913 NECROLOGY George F. NICKERSON.
May 14, 1913 NECROLOGY Sylvester MURPHY, 24. Miss Minnie MURPHY, 22.
May 17, 1913 NECROLOGY John CARTER, 24.
May 18, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Eleanor SHORTALL.
May 20, 1913 NECROLOGY Henry NOFTALL, 43.
May 23, 1913 NECROLOGY Miss Sarah Jane WINSOR, 58.
May 24, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Bridget Meaney WALSH, 52.
May 27, 1913 NECROLOGY Thomas MURPHY, painter, 55.
May 30, 1913 NECROLOGY Miss Mary Ann Power.
May 31, 1913 NECROLOGY Miss Mabel Isabel ROONEY, 18.

June 1, 1913 NECROLOGY Miss Ann WALSH, Long's Hill.
June 2, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Martha WHITTEN, South Side.
June 4, 1913 NECROLOGY Maisie Bernier Mar., 16.
June 6, 1913 NECROLOGY William AYLWARD at Lynn, Mass., 42.
June 7, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Lucy Kennedy EVANS. Miss Bride O'NEIL, 25.
June 9, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Margaret GOSSE, 90.
June 13, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Bridget Devereaux CONNORS, 79.
June 14, 1913 NECROLOGY Joseph L. ROSS, 73. Mrs. Catherine O'LEARY.
June 18, 1913 NECROLOGY John T. COLLOINS. Mrs. Richard HICKEY, 60.
June 20, 1913 NECROLOGY John DUNCAN, Old Placentia Road.
June 22, 1913 NECROLOGY Miss Elsie GOSSE, 18.
June 23, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Fanny GARDNER, formerly of Bareneed, 80.
June 24, 1913 NECROLOGY Peter MOLLOY, 44.
June 25, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Margaret Haley BURFITT, 73.

July 3, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Emma LeDREW, at Gravenhurst, Ont.
July 10, 1913 NECROLOGY James FORSYTH, 70.
July 15, 1913 NECROLOGY Robert C. STEIN. Henry Charles GILL, 16.
July 16, 1913 NECROLOGY Patrick J. WALSH, 83. Samuel BOWCOCK, farmer, 67.
July 19, 1913 NECROLOGY Capt. Frank SEDGMAN, 52.
July 21, 1913 NECROLOGY Edward F. CUMMINS, 93.
July 22, 1913 NECROLOGY Miss Kate BRODERICK. Mrs. Elizabeth Mabel FLYNN, 89.
July 25, 1913 NECROLOGY Robert Percival, son of Rev. Cannon WHITE.
July 31, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Elizabeth CAREW, at Brooklyn, N.Y., 79.

Aug. 1, 1913 NECROLOGY Robert Dixon CAVE.
Aug. 2, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Mary HURLEY, 84.
Aug. 5, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Louise MULROONEY, 64.
Aug. 6, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Mary DUCHEMIN at New York.
Aug. 10, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Albert S. PURCHASE at Roxbury, Mass.
Aug. 11, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Mary (Edward) KELLY, 67.
Aug. 12, 1913 NECROLOGY Charles FRENCH of Harbour Grace, 59.
Aug. 15, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Catherine RYAN.
Aug. 22, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Elizabeth WHELAN, 72.
Aug. 23, 1913 NECROLOGY Samuel ELLIS, 47.
Aug. 26, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. George T. HUDSON.
Aug. 27, 1913 NECROLOGY Miss Sadie MORRIS, 18.
Aug. 30, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Agnes Evans PRATT, at Lynn, Mass.

Sept. 4, 1913 NECROLOGY Miss Margaret COLLINS.
Sept. 6, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Sarah Power THORPEY.
Sept. 9, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Elizabeth POWER, 90. Adam RAMSEY.
Sept. 10, 1913 NECROLOGY John CORMACK, 69.
Sept. 12, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Elizabeth CHURCHILL, 29.
Sept. 15, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Elizabeth DONOVAN, of Donovan's, 82. Robert MOONEY, 59. Mrs. Robert DICKS. George BAMBRICK, 36.
Sept. 16, 1913 NECROLOGY Alfred VINCENT, H.M.C., 66. James O'NEIL, 63.
Sept. 18, 1913 NECROLOGY Michael BROWN. William RYAN.
Sept. 20, 1913 NECROLOGY Lieutenant Commander Bernard M. HARVEY, died in action when H.M.S. Crecy was torpedoed - The first on Newfoundland's Immortal Honour Roll in the War of 1914.
Sept. 24, 1913 NECROLOGY Peter WALSH, 56.
Sept. 24, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Mary CARNELL. Stephen ANTLE, 72.
Sept. 25, 1913 NECROLOGY William HURLEY, 73.
Sept. 27, 1913 NECROLOGY Head Constable WINSLOW, Crimean Veteran, 84.
Sept. 29, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. W. J. REDSTONE. Miss Mary Ellen LIDDY, Torbay. Mrs. Charlotte Ellen ATWILL.

Oct. 2, 1913 NECROLOGY Aubrey J. CROCKER, 79. Mrs. Julia JOHNSTON.
Oct. 6, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Ellen STEVENSON, 100, a centenarian. Martin Ryan, 68.
Oct. 7, 1913 NECROLOGY John M. JACKMAN, 44. Mrs. Lizzie TEMPLE, 37. Mrs. Emily J. MORRISSEY at Providence, Rhode Island.
Oct. 10, 1913 NECROLOGY Capt. Wm. FARRELL, 60. James O'NEIL, Major's Path, 85.
Oct. 15, 1913 NECROLOGY Most Rev. Dr. HOWLEY, Arch-bishop of St. John's, 71.
Oct. 17, 1913 NECROLOGY Alfred W. SIMONS
Oct. 19, 1913 NECROLOGY Elizabeth J. NOSEWORTHY, 77.
Oct. 22, 1913 NECROLOGY Edward WALSH, 20. William MULLALLY, at South Omaha, Nebraska, 53.
Oct. 23, 1913 NECROLOGY Eric Henry COEN, 21. Nicholas J. COADY, 40.
Oct. 25, 1913 NECROLOGY John HART, carpenter, 61.
Oct. 26, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Lydia BURGESS, formerly of Burin.
Oct. 27, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Elizabeth MOORE, 58.
Oct. 28, 1913 NECROLOGY John STAMP, 77. Eleazer LEWIS, 47.
Oct. 30, 1913 NECROLOGY Rev. Theodore W. CLIFT, in Aiken, South Carolina. Miss Mary ELLIS, 21.

Nov. 2, 1913 NECROLOGY Sergeant Joseph CORBETT, N.F.C., 69. Mrs. Elizabeth FISCHER, 68.
Nov. 4, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. SUMMERS. Mrs. Katherine GAMBERG.
Nov. 5, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. J. HENLEY, 37. Mrs. Mary O'DONNELL, Logy Bay.
Nov. 6, 1913 NECROLOGY A. ROBERTS, Hamilton Avenue, 60.
Nov. 9, 1913 NECROLOGY Patrick J. O'NEILL. Miss Annie BREEN. Mrs. J. R. MOSS, 54. John Albert COOK, South Side.
Nov. 10, 1913 NECROLOGY William LANGMEAD, Painter. Rev. Mother Bridget KENNEDY, Presentation Convent, Cathedral Square, 64. Mrs. Ann CAUL, 62.
Nov. 11, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Letitia VAVASOUR, 66. Lieut.-Commander ATLAY, R.N., died at Deal, whilst in active service.
Nov. 12, 1913 NECROLOGY James J. BARRON. Miss Sarah G. MENCHINTON, 34. George GAMBERG, 52. John STIDSTONE, at Boston, Mass.
Nov. 15, 1913 NECROLOGY Conductor Stephen HOWLETT, 68. Lawrence SHEEHAN, 77. Mrs. Ellen HOOKEY, 76.
Nov. 17, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Elizabeth SQUAREY, at Shaldon, Devonshire, England.
Nov. 20, 1913 NECROLOGY Robert CARTER, 19. Maurice GREENE.
Nov. 23, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. John BOWRING, Terra Nova, Sifton Park, Liverpool, 77.
Nov. 24, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Catherine (Hugh W.) MARTIN, 60.
Nov. 25, 1913 NECROLOGY Robert Campbell SMITH, Supt. Anglo-American Cable Co., 54.
Nov. 26, 1913 NECROLOGY Joseph ANGEL, Maddox Cove, 74. Mrs. Bridget DUNPHY, Torbay, 73.
Nov. 29, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Barbara (Hon. M.P.) GIBBS. Mrs. Jane (John) CRAGG.
Nov. 30, 1913 NECROLOGY Samuel GARRETT, 70.

Dec. 4, 1913 NECROLOGY William PEDDIGREW.
Dec. 5, 1913 NECROLOGY Miss Lilian HACKETT, 18.
Dec. 6, 1913 NECROLOGY W. J. McKAY, 50. Mrs. Agnes J. EVANS, 30.
Dec. 9, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Mary Jane BREEN, 48.
Dec. 10, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. George WHITE, Cathedral St., 80.
Dec. 15, 1913 NECROLOGY Brendan CLEARY, 23. Miss Sarah PENSTON, 46.
Dec. 16, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Ellen CARROLL. Mrs. Elizabeth Hoy CHISHOLM.
Dec. 17, 1913 NECROLOGY Henry ELLIS, 73. Mrs. Thomas HAYES, 79.
Dec. 19, 1913 NECROLOGY Thomas HALL, 69. Stephen FREEMAN, 56.
Dec. 20, 1913 NECROLOGY George A. COLLOINS, G.P.O., 52. Mrs. (Dr.) J. I. O'CONNELL, Interred at Dartmouth N.S.
Dec. 22, 1913 NECROLOGY Matthew AYLWARD, Kilbride.
Dec. 26, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Katherine (John) O'DEA.
Dec. 28, 1913 NECROLOGY James WALLACE, Livingstone St., 65.
Dec. 27, 1913 NECROLOGY Mrs. Katie GOSSE, Spaniard's Bay.
Dec. 30, 1913 NECROLOGY Robert William BONNELL, Lord's Cove, 94.

Dec. 23, 1913 MARRIAGE John HICKS of Catalina and Miss Agnes TEMPLEMAN of Bonavista.
Dec. 27, 1913 MARRIAGE Philip COSH and Miss Sarah F. THORNE at Collins Bay Cove.
Dec. 29, 1913 MARRIAGE Guy KING, of St. Jones Within, and Miss Hannah BLUNDON of Hatchet Cove.
Dec. 29, 1913 MARRIAGE John Williams and Miss Mary Anne BALDWIN at Pouch Cove.
Dec. 30, 1913 MARRIAGE William Morison STEIN and Miss Norah WRIGHT, at Glasgow, Scotland.
Dec. 31, 1913 MARRIAGE James CHURCHILL and Miss Maggie DIAMOND at Glovertown.

© Chris Shelley, George White  and NL GenWeb