Daily News

NL GenWeb Newspaper Records

Avalon South Region - St. John's District

"The Daily News"    - Misc. News Tidbits 1930

"Reprinted courtesy of Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing" Any monetary or commercial gain from using this material is strictly
prohibited and subject to legal action.

Transcribed by John Baird and Sue O'Neill  While we have endeavored to be as correct as humanly possible, there could be some typographical errors.

January 3, 1930


A correspondent sends the following interesting speculation on whether the tidal wave of November 18th 1929 was caused by a meteor.

“When I read in the public message a day or two ago that the cable steamer reported finding the ocean bed covered with lava.  I wondered it a comet or meteor could have cause the earthquake.”

There are several people in Freshwater who saw what they said was a comet, dash across the sky to the southeast, just at the very time of the quake.  We didn’t pay much attention to them, as we though it might have been a shooting star , but next day one of our captains who was at Bay de Verde at the time, came up to Carbonear and said he was looking out to sea, and saw a hugh comet “with a tail a mile long” dash to the southeast at the very time of the tremor.  He said he knew at once what it was, as he saw one in Spain some years ago.  We looked up “Meteor” last night and found that their bodies were composed of rocks, iron and other minerals, and their tails of dust, so we were wondering if that one could have struck the ocean bed and caused the earthquake.  It would be interesting to hear the opinion of someone who understands these things.”

JANUARY 22 1930

The trial of Philip LeMESSURIER, charged with manslaughter, will begin at the Supreme Court this morning at ten o’clock with a special jury.

Wednesday February 19 1930


Two Men Who Are Charged With Complicity Will Be Tried At Supreme Court.

    A girl named Mimie MARCH was arraigned last week before magistrate VATCHER and charged with concealment of birth.  She was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for six months.  Arising out of this case two men named KELLOWAY and HAYSE were charged with secreting the body of an infant with intent to conceal birth.  The elected to be tried by the Supreme Court and preliminary enquiry was held at the end of the week.


   Early yesterday afternoon a horse drawing a slide belonging to Fred LUKINS took fright on Military Road and bolted down Military Road passing the Newfoundland Hotel and swerved east on Duckworth Street, opposite Devon Row.  There a portion of the furniture that was on the slide was thrown off and badly damaged. The horse continues east until it was stopped at Hoylestown by Mr. H. MOORE


John KIRBY Of Blackmarsh Road Enters Hospital Yesterday

   John KIRBY of Blackmarsh Road an employee of the Highroads Commission, had his hip badly injured, yesterday morning and was taken to the General Hospital. KIRBY was working in Ellis quarry on the southside when a large stone was dislodged from above and rolling down a steep incline hit him in the hip.  He was resting fairly well this morning.


The shop with all its contents belonging to William McCRATHY of Humber Road, Bay of Islands, was totally destroyed by fire at 2.30 a.m. yesterday.  No other particulars were received by the Inspector General from acting Sergeant Martin at Corner Brook, than the above.


   James RODGERS, 20 , carpenter , was arrested on Monday night by Constable CAHILL and ROCHE and faces the following charges : December 24, unlawfully assaulting and beating Elizabeth LEHER; and on the 13th of February unlawfully assaulting and beating with a stick Edith ROONEY with intent to do her bodily harm.  The accused was released on bail last evening.

   The case of George HAMILTON, Barter Hill, was also heard.  The accused was given in charge by his father and it charged with being drunk in his home and stealing a coat valued at $4 from his father.

   Two drunks were given fines of $1 or 7 days and $5 or 14 days respectively.



Mahogany Chair Brought To St. John’s From Harbor Grace Yesterday Could Tell of Past Glories It Has Seen.

    A resident of the city brought from Harbor Grace yesterday a mahogany Chair 110 years old.  From an historical viewpoint this antique is very valuable.  It dates back to the days of the late Thomas RIDLEY, founder of the firm Ridley & Sons of Harbor Grace.  The late Thomas RIDLEY was a native of the town of Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, and came to Newfoundland when he started business in Salmon Cove, Bay de Verde district.  He removed to Point of Beach, Harbor Grace, where he ran the largest mercantile business in Newfoundland.  It is estimated that at one time the Ridley firm had a turn-over of some million pounds and had the largest fleet of foreign-going vessels, as well as square-rigged ships and schooners which prosecuted the Labrador fishery for years.

    The firm brought out to Newfoundland in 1864 the Retriever, a Square rigger ship and the following year the S. S. Mastiff.  Both of the ships were commanded in turn by Captain James MURPHY , of Catalina, father of Hon. J. J. MURPHY.  The first year the crew of the Retriever sheared the biggest bill in the history of Newfoundland, three hundred and odd dollars a man.

    The firm of Ridley & Son was amongst the introducers of steam in this country seal fishery.  In 1870 the firm failed partly, it is claimed, through political intrigue, but notwithstanding the sacrifice of ships, fish and fishing property, the firm paid to their creditors 14 shillings and 8 pence in the pound.

     In this historical chair then were seated from time to time some of the men who made history in Harbor Grace, among whom may be mentioned THOMAS, HOOPER, POWER, COADY, NUTTALL, Peter BROWN and the famous Surregate GARLAND.  This is an antique which, it it could speak, would tell a tale of fortune both fine and cloudy.



Two Ladies Suffered Injured Shoulders From Falls and  Man Rendered Unconscious By Blow From Log.

Three accidents were reported over the weekend and the
victims are all in the General Hospital.

 On Saturday night about 10.30 Mrs. HAMMOND of 35 Water  Street West whilst proceeding to her home slipped on the sidewalk opposite Buchanan Street and dislocated her shoulder.  She was taken to Dr . Sharpe’s surgery who ordered  the woman to hospital after he had ascertained her injuries.

 Arthur WARFORD of Topsail Road was taken to the hospital
 Saturday night in an unconscious condition.  He was working  at some logs when he was hit with one on the head and his condition being thought serious he was taken to the hospital.

When he arrived there he had regained consciousness and is
now doing well.

Mrs. CHAFE of Petty Harbor slipped on the ice yesterday and  fractured her shoulder .  She too is at the hospital.



Completion of Criminal Assault Cases Last Night Ends with Jury Award of Guilty and sentenced by Justice Higgins.

    In the Supreme Court yesterday before His Lordship Mr. Justice Higgins and the following special jury:—William WINSBOROUGH, John WALSH, Frederick SMEATON, John HOLLOWAY,  William SMITH, Kenneth H. BUSSEY, Newman CHOWN, Edward SNELGROVE, Frank McNAMARA, John ANTLE, Edwin G. ARNOTT.  The case of the crown vs. William PARRELL charged with rape on a 17 year old girl at Mount Pearl.

    The alleged offence was committed in May last. PARRELL who was arrested has been on bail since then.  The evidence of several witnesses including that of the girls, her mother, Dr. ANDERSON and the prisoner was taken.  After the evidence had been completed Mr. FOX. K.C. for the defence began his address to the jury and spoke for over an hour.  After tea the court resumed when Hon. F. G. BRADLEY, solicitor General, began his address for the prosecution His Lordship’s charge to the jury lasted for one hour and ten minutes.  At ten o’clock the jury retired and returned at 11.40 and through their foreman, Mr. F. SMEATON, announced that they had found a verdict of guilty.

     Mr. FOX on behalf of his client address the Bench pleading for mercy, for the accused.  His lordship pronounced sentence of two years in the Penitentiary with hard labor



James HYNES and William COLBERT of St. Brendan’s Killed Instantly —
Other Occupant and House Uninjured.

Two fatalities were reported as a result of Sunday severe thunder and lighting storm.  James HYNES, aged 79 and William COLBERT aged 17 , being instantly killed by lighting in their house at St. Brendan’s B. B.   The remarkable thing about the fatality is that a women in the house suffered no injuries and very little damage was done to the house.
   Information regarding the fatality was received by the Marine and Fisheries Department in the following message from the operator at St . Brendan’s:–
 “A sad accident occurred at 5.30 yesterday evening during heavy thunder and lighting storm which raged from midnight.  James HYNES aged 79 and William COLBERT aged 17, were    instantly killed in their home by lighting.  Woman suffered no injury and very little damage done to house.”


Complaint Laid Against Driver Of Truck Who Is arrested and released after Examination by Doctor.

 Last night Mrs. Arthur GRIEVE was coming out the Bay Bulls road in a motor car and a motor truck driven by William SUMMERS going in the same road, collided with the motor car doing a great deal of damage to the left dasher and running board.  SUMMERS who was delivering parcels, took too wide a sweep on a turn and hence the collision.  Mrs. GRIEVE telephone the police and made a complaint that the driver was under the influence of alcohol.  The police chased the man to Bay Bulls and brought him to the lock-up where he was examined by Dr. FRASER. who pronounced him not under the influence of liquor.  SUMMERS was immediately released.


Driver of Car is Charged With Manslaughter and Released On Bail.

The victim of the motor accident at Carters Hill, topsail, midnight Sunday, Mr. Frank MORRISSEY passed away at the General hospital at 5.30 a.m. yesterday.  The deceased who lived with his parents on Long Pond Road, was a widower with one daughter.  He also leaves besides his parents and daughter, one brother in Syracuse, N. Y.

 Early yesterday morning following the death of Mr. MORRISSEY, the driver of the motor car Allan CHURCHILL was charged with manslaughter and released on $10,000 bail.



Son of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick STAPLETON, Harbor Grace, Loses Life in Dam Near Sawmill

Harbor Grace, July 18.—On Saturday afternoon, Joseph, the twelve year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Stapleton of Riverhead, left his home about 3.30 to play about with some companions and was last seen at about quarter to four by Mr. Pynn and some men working nearby.  The lad with two younger companions went to the pool above the dam near the saw mill just by the railway watering shute and went bathing.  Shortly after four the two little companions met Miss Maggie Sullivan, aunt of young Stapleton, and told her he was in the water.  An outcry was raised and some men immediately went to the scene and found the lad in the water and promptly got him out but life was found to be extinct, he was taken home and Dr. Strapp was called but nothing could be done.  The sad affair cast a gloom over the vicinity and the parents have the deep sympathy of all in the sudden cutting off a promising son.  The funeral was held on Monday morning .  High mass being celebrated by Rev. Fr. Howard at St. Joseph Church.



Swimming Accident at Ocean Pond Takes Life of Dorothy WINTER, of Clarke’s Beach—
Angela HAYES, Barely Dragged Backed From Grave, and Her Sister are Rescued..


  In a heroic attempt to render assistance to two companions Miss Dorothy WINTERS, daughter of Mr. William WINTERS, of Clarke’s Beach, lost her life yesterday at Ocean Pond by drowning, and Miss Angela HAYES and her sister were barely resuscitated after their rescue. Sunday last Miss WINTER, Misses HAYES (2) of Cupids, Miss CULLETON of Bay Roberts and a companion went to Ocean Pond and intended to camp there for a few weeks. Immediately after dinner yesterday afternoon about 3 o’clock, the Mises HAYES , who are daughters of Mr. John HAYES, of Cupids, donned their bathing suits and went into the pond for a swim, whilst Miss WINTER sat on the bank fully clothed.  After a short time Miss WINTER noticed that the swimmers were in difficulties and were sinking.  She grabbed a stick and started to walk out to them holding the stick out in front of her so they could grab it.  Suddenly she stepped into an overfall and not being able to swim sank, and did not rise again.  An immediate outcry was raised but it took some little time before those within hearing distance realized that a tragedy was imminent.  Finally someone ran to a couple of shacks which were occupied by Messrs. MUGFORD and IVANY , who rushed into the water and rescued both the Hayes girls who were then just under the water.  The two half drowned girls were taken into the shacks of Messrs. MUGFORD and NOSEWORTHY, and first aid was immediately started.  The same two men who rescued these girls then started for a boat which they manned and came back to the spot where Miss WINTER had sunk.  The body was recovered from the bottom and brought to the same shacks are the other two girls.  Mr. J. W. DAWE, who has a summer cottage also at this pond, got into his car and when ho got to MACKINSON’s where the first telephone was, telephoned for doctors.  Dr. Pritchard of Bay Roberts started for the scene about 4 o’clock.  Dr. STENTAFORD of Carbonear, who was picnicing in the vicinity was informed and he arrived about 3.30.  Dr COWPERTHWAITE, who was also in the vicinity, arrived a little later.


As results of nearly four hours strenuous work it was found that it was impossible to resuscitate Miss WINTER, but both Miss Angela HAYES the older sister, and the younger sister, were brought around.  Dr. PRITCHARD on enquiry from the Daily News said that at 11 p.m. yesterday Miss Angela HAYES was still in a very serious condition, but that the younger sister was on the road to complete recovery.  Because of the serious condition of the elder sister both sister remained at Ocean Pond.  Before 1 a.m. to-day from the name source it was learned that Miss HAYES had just regained consciousness and that there was every hope of her recovery.
    All the summer visitors at Ocean Pond did everything in their power to render assistance and from a visitor from the city it was learned that Mrs. MEYERS did a yeoman service.  In connection with this sad occurrence it was emphasized that the two swimmers had entered the water almost immediately after partaking of a substantial meal


Woman Crushed Between Cousin’s Truck and Light Pole  —
Rushed to Hospital for Amputation Saturday Night.


Mrs. FEEHAN of Colonial Street, is now lying at the General Hospital, having had to have her left leg amputated as a result of an accident when the victim was wedged between a motor van owned by Cousins, Limited, and an electric pole at the corner of King’s Road and Prospect Street.

Just after 9 o’clock Mrs. FEEHAM and her sister, were returning home after being down town and going up King’s Road, passing Prospect St., the van driven by Walter Long, and in which Frank NORRIS, Hubert GREEN and Walter KENNEDY, also were going down King’s Road to turn into Prospect Street.  According to the story told to the police the driver of the truck in trying to avoid hitting a man who was passing swerved the truck.  As he did so he saw the two women who immediately separated.  The driver stated that he attempted to turn the truck into Prospect Street but instead it continued to the corner where there is an electric light pole and Mrs, FEEHAM was caught between it and the car.  Broken glass from the headlight was found in the street afterwards.

 Mrs. FEEHAM was rushed to Dr. DONAHUE’s surgery nearby, who pronounced compound fracture of the leg and ordered her removal to the hospital immediately .  She was taken there in Mr. Cyril CAHILL’s car driven by Hubert GREEN, a passenger in Cousins van.  Amputation of the leg was found necessary and the operation was performed soon afterwards.  On enquiry at the hospital this morning it was learned that Mrs FEEHAM is doing well as could be expected under the circumstances.

It being reported to the police that the regular driver, Frank MORRIS , was not driving the van at the time, but that Walter LONG, who did not possess a driver’s licence, was at the wheel, all four occupants were called to the police station yesterday and their statements were taken.

The pathetic part of the matter is that Mrs. FEEHAM is the sole support of a large family, the eldest of whom is fourteen and the accident may be the loss of her ability to support them as she had been so bravely doing a part from the actual injury and inconvenience caused.



Prompt Action Of Capt. HOUNSELL Rescued George ROGERS of Greenspond—
When he Misjudges Distance and falls Over Wharf.

Climbing down the anchor chain of the schooner Kathleen moored at Barr’s wharf, Capt. HOUNSELL on Saturday night rescued George ROGERS of Greenspond from a watery grave.  On Saturday about 9.30 p.m. George ROGERS, of Greenspond, a member of the crew of the schooner Kathleen, Captain WATERMAN, owned by Arthur PARSONS of Carbonear, fell into the water of Barr’s Cove, and thought the prompt action of Captain HOUNSELL suffered nothing but a wet skin.

Mrs. ROGERS had walked out on Barr’s wharf to where his schooner is lying and stretched out his hand to grasp the rigging.  The wharf was in comparative darkness and the schooner was a little further away than he estimated.  Overbalancing he fell into the water, grazing his head on the side of the vessel.  Captain HOUNSELL, who was on board, heard the splash and rushing up on deck saw a man in the water.  The Captain climbed down the anchor chain and caught Rogers by the hair of the head, holding him till men in a dory rowed to the spot and relived him of his burden.  Dr. Jamieson who was telephoned for , arrived shortly afterwards.  After a short time the doctor pronounced the victim of immersion all right.



Returning from Petty Harbor at Midnight Lloyd VIGUERS of the Goulds Road alone in Whippet Sedan, drowned when Car Smashes Through Guard Rail and into Deep Water Above Dam.


About midnight a Whippet Sedan car owned and driven by Lloyd VIGUERS of Goulds Road left the road at the Power Dam in the ravine above Petty Harbor and shot over the bank into water about eight feet deep smashing through the guard rail carrying its only occupant with it to death   Inspector General HUTCHINGS was notified about 12.30 o’clock and immediately despatched Sergeant NUGENT and four policemen in the police car with ropes, lanterns, etc .  Mr. J. W. MORRIS, superintendent of the Nfld Light and Power Company was notified, and after making connections with the power house at Petty Harbor learned that all the men in the neighborhood had gone to the scene, but beyond the fact that a car had gone over the road into the water above the dam and that its tail light was still shining could give no information .

   A representative of the Daily News accompanied Mr. MORRIS to scene of the accident about 3 a.m. and describes what happened.

    On arrival at the scene of the tragedy it was seen what had happened.  A motor car apparently skidded off the road at a point near the main dam of the Light & Power Co. and running down a steep bank had brought up in about eight feet of water.  The car had been dragged up on the bank and the body of the victim taken into the gate house and reverently lain on the floor.  Rev. Mr. SEVERN, incumbent of Petty Harbor who had been ----- and after a visit to the ------his father Mr. William VIGUERS who is employed at the Lunatic Asylum.

From Mr. Thomas WITTEN keeper of the Post Office at Petty Harbor, from Mr. John HALLEY, superintendent of the Power Station, and from Sergeant NUGENT of the Newfoundland Constabulary, the following meager facts were secured.

   The police arrived at the scene about 1.40 a.m. and the body was taken out of the car at 2.20 a.m.  The bank of the river was fenced and the car went through this fence running over a couple of large stones and dived into the water.  It was found by the police when the car was a little bit pulled out of the water that the car was in second gear, and they had to kick it out of gear.

   About midnight Frank CROCKER, son of the waterman of the Light and Power Company, was passing the gate house on foot and saw in the water a tail-light of a motor car and the headlights of the same car shining up through the water.  When Mr. CROCKER saw this car he went over the bank where the rail was gone, shouted several times and receiving no answer walked down to Whitten’s who telephone to the Inspector General of constabulary about 12.30 a.m.

     Before the police arrived very little could be done but many of the residents of Petty Harbor immediately went to the scene.  When the police arrived with lanterns, ropes etc . They found that a boat was necessary and one was secured.  Police constable MAHONEY and BROCKLEHURST got out broke the window in the rear of the car and the left rear window.  The body was taken out over the front seat and through the back window.  Dr. SHORT arrived about 3.30 a.m. and made an examination of the body. He found a bruise on the lower part of the chest and water in the lungs.

©Sue O'Neill, John Baird & NL GenWeb