Daily News

NLGenWeb Newspaper Transcriptions

Daily News

Misc. News Tidbits  - 1909

Reprinted courtesy of Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing" Any monetary or commercial gain from using this material is strictly
prohibited and subject to legal action.

The records were transcribed by CHRIS SHELLEY.  Formatted by GEORGE WHITE
While we have endeavored to be as correct as humanly possible, there could be some typographical errors.

August 23, 1909 Death (Part 1) "We chronicle to-day, with deep regret, the death of George J. ROWE, Esq., Mus. Bac., of Hamilton, Bermuda, in his sixty-ninth year. For many years, Mr. ROWE was a prominent figure in this city, particularly in musical circles, his ability being of a very high order, as many of his old pupils, who held him in high esteem and cherish the most pleasant memories of him, can testify. Mr. ROWE came to this country in the sixties, as a teacher to the Colonial and Continental School Society and as Choir Master to the Church of England Cathedral, positions which he held with exceptional ability. After a somewhat short residence here, he went to Racine, Wisconsin, where he remained about eight years as Principal of Racine College. He subsequently returned to St. John's, and once more took up his duties as Choir Master at the Cathedral and Master at Bishop Field College during the regime of Rev. J. F. PHELPS. It was in musical circles he was best known. Through his efforts, the Choral Society was established, and lovers of music will long remember the earnestness and zeal he manifested in that direction. "
August 23, 1909 Death (Part 2) Failing health, due to excessive strain and overwork, caused a partial breakdown, which made it necessary for him to abandon the profession he loved, and seek rest in another country, where the climate was more congenial and calculated to restore him sufficiently, to again resume the work which he very unwillingly laid down. His naturally nervous temperament was also too far impaired, and after spending about six years seeking the improvement which never came, he passed away, deeply regretted by all who had the privilege of his acquaintance. The family here were appraised of his death by Rev. Canon MARROIT, of Hamilton, Bermuda, whose father was a life long friend to Mr. ROWE. A strange coincidence that these two friends who labored here together for many years, should now lay side by side in a country so far distant from the scene of their labors. His wife predeceased him some years ago. The surviving members of his family are one son, George M., now resident in London, England, and four daughters, Mrs. (Hon.) S. MILLEY, Mrs. W. J. MARTIN, Mrs. John H. TAYLOR, of this city, and Mrs. E. E. BULLEY, of Pass Island, Fortune Bay. To these and other relatives, the "News" joins with many friends in extending heartfelt sympathy.
August 23, 1909 Birth On the 19th inst., a daughter to Alice and Walter BISHOP (Mail Clerk, S.S. Prospero.)
August 23, 1909 Death On Sunday morning, August 22, Thomas Joseph, the beloved child of Thomas J. and Josephine M. THORBURN, aged 8 1/2 months.
August 23, 1909 Death On Saturday night, Bertha, beloved wife of J.S. SQUIRES, and daughter of Caroline and the late Emanuel MITCHELL. Funeral at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, from No. 1 Pleasant Street. (Boston papers please copy).
August 23, 1909 Death On the 21st inst., at her late residence, Southside, after a long illness, Lucy Jane, daughter of the late William and Annie WHITTEN. Funeral today, Monday, at 2:30 p.m. Friends and relatives will please attend without further notice.
August 23, 1909 Death "Passed peacefully away on the 22nd inst., Johanna Hogan, relic of the late James ARMSTRONG, aged 67 years. Funeral on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 91 Carter's Hill. Friends please attend without further notice. May her soul rest in peace."
August 23, 1909 Death Suddenly, of heart failure, last evening, Terence J. MORRISSEY, only son of the late Capt. James MORRISSEY, aged 45 years, leaving 6 children and 1 sister to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 20 Gilbert Street. Friends and acquaintances please accept this, the only intimation.
August 23, 1909 Death Fortified by the last rites of Holy Church, there passed away at 5 last evening, at the General Hospital, Patrick MURPHY, Cooper, youngest son of the late Catherine and Sylvester MURPHY, late of Southside, aged 44 years. Funeral at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, from his brother's residence, 33 Monkstown Road. Relatives and friends will accept this as the only intimation. No flowers; no crepe. R.I.P.
August 24, 1909 Death Yesterday morning, after a long and painful illness, May, only daughter of Michael and the late Ellen MULLALY, aged 20 years. Funeral on Wednesday at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 14 Brennan Street. Friends and relatives are respectfully requested to attend. May she rest in peace.
August 25, 1909 Death There died at noon yesterday at his residence, Freshwater Road, Captain John TURNER, one of the few remaining men who, by their energy and perseverance, have made Newfoundland what it is today. Born at St. Brendan's, Bonavista Bay, he prosecuted the fishery for half a century. He went to the sealfishery with the late Captain Terence HALLERAN and other famous Vikings, and afterwards sailed his own vessels, and was one of the last to give up prosecuting the sealfishery in a sailing vessel. In the year 1862 (Green Bay Spring) he lost his vessel, the Mary Ann, and himself and crew had to come by punts, a distance of over 60 miles, sometimes hauling the boats over the ice, and then rowing them through lakes of water until they arrived at their homes in Bonavista Bay. Capt. TURNER possessed great descriptive power and was fully conversant with the chief topics connected with the sealfishery, and the heroes of the frozen pans for the past fifty years or more. Of late years he carried on a trading business, in which he was very successful. His whole life was characterized by pluck, energy and unswerving integrity, the fruits of which he had the satisfaction to enjoy in his declining years. He was married to Miss O'NEILL, of a well known and respected family of Bay de Verde, who survives him. The deceased was in his 66th year. An exemplary and practical Catholic, he died fortified with the rites of the Church. - Requiescat in Pace.
August 27, 1909 Collision Near the Crossroads Last night, at about 9 o'clock, MR. H.D. REID's auto was running up Water Street, near Alexander Street. At the same time, two cabs were coming from an opposite direction, one behind the other, the former being owned by Mr. R. DRUKEN and the other by MR. Thomas VOISEY. When near the Gas House, Mr. REID turned his car and crossed the road, clearing the first cab. He could not have been aware of the presence or proximity of the second one, and turned to cross once more, when the front of the auto struck the left front wheel of Mr. VOISEY's "vic." twisting it violently in against the trees which border the promenade there. The force of the impact was so great that a woman, who was in the cab, was hurled over the side and right into the hood of the auto, but beyond a couple of slight cuts, she was uninjured. Two men, who were also passengers, escaped unhurt. Mr. VOISEY himself, however, was not so fortunate. When the collision occurred he was thrown from the box. The shafts had been broken, and the horse started away. Mr. VOISEY retained his grasp on the whip and reins, and was dragged by the animal to the foot of Patrick Street before the horse could be brought up. Mr. VOISEY was injured about the right hip by the fall, and subsequent effort to stop the horse, and will be laid up a day or so as a result, meanwhile the lady passenger was looked after, and the remains of the cab were taken to Mr. REID's garage and housed for the night. The horse, beyond a couple of slight cuts, was uninjured. In the motor car, with Mr. REID, were a couple of ladies, who kept perfectly cool under the circumstances. The party went home by street car, while the others busied themselves about extricating the automobile, which had become wedged between a post and a tree. he post had to be afterwards cut away to admit of the machine being taken out, which was eventually successfully accomplished, and it was driven to the garage for slight repairs.
August 27, 1909 New Board Elected The Warrant and Non-Commissioned Officers of the C.C.C. will, by permission of the Committee of management, hold a series of entertainments during the coming season, in aid of the Armoury Extension Fund. They will hold their inaugural about the latter part of next month, when a dance will be given in the British?? Hall. Yesterday morning, a meeting was held for the purpose of electing an Executive, and on Armoury Sergeant J. MURPHY being moved to the chair, the following officers were installed: Chairman, Sergt. Major J. J. O'GRADY; Vice-Chairman, Corp. L.C. MURPHY; Treasurer, Lanc. Corp. P. BROWN; Secretary, Sergt. J.J. DONNELLY. With such an energetic board of officers, it is safe to predict a successful issue.

November 6, 1909 Death "A beautiful life closed yesterday at the General Hospital, when the gentle soul of Miss Bertha JARDINE passed away. For some time she had been unwell, and a fortnight ago came to the city to undergo an operation for complicated appendicitis. The operation proved too much for her strength, and death resulted. Miss JARDINE was the daughter of John JARDINE, ESQ., J.P., of Bay Roberts, and was esteemed and admired by hosts of friends in the city and outport alike. Her sweet disposition, charming friendliness, and exceptional talent are all well known. In social life she took a leading place, and was ever ready to employ her musical talent in aid of any worthy cause. Here in St. John's, she has been warmly welcome in the Synod, College and Presbyterian Halls, and only recently the C.C.C and Highlanders were indebted to her for assistance in their programmes. She leaves behind, to mourn the loss of their well-loved child and sister, father, mother, three sisters and a brother, all residing in Bay Roberts; Mr. James JARDINE, of H.M. Customs, is an uncle. The body will be conveyed by train to Bay Roberts this morning, and the funeral takes place on Monday, after the arrival of the train from the city. ""Sleep sweetly tender heart, in peace; Sleep holy spirit, blessed soul, While the stars burn, the moons increase, And the great ages roll."""
November 23, 1909 Accident "From passengers who arrived by yesterday's express, we learn that a young man was left by his father, in the vicinity of Spruce Brook, Monday last, bleeding to death. Owen ALEXANDER and his father, of Stephenville, went into the woods on Monday, Nov. 15th, deer stalking. While going through the forest, bad weather set in, with a thick fog, and both decided on making a camp for the night. OWEN had been gathering boughs to make a bed. He was hewing the limb of a tree with his axe, when the axe accidentally slipped, with the result that it took a portion of his foot off. The old man, although grief stricken, with great presence of mind, immediately wrapped his shirt around the wound, and after making his son as comfortable as possible, started off for Spruce Brook to get assistance. The father arrived at Spruce Brook on Tuesday evening, in an exhausted condition, after a whole day's travelling through a thick forest. Not finding anyone there, he proceeded to Stephenville to relate his son's awful predicament. A party of volunteers left with the father on Tuesday night, but search as they may, the unfortunate man's whereabouts could not be determined. He had only sufficient food to last him a day, and it is feared he has succumbed to hunger, if not from the effects of the wound."
November 23, 1909 Death Yesterday afternoon, the funeral of the late Mr. BUTLER took place at Fox Trap. Deceased was a member of the S.U.F., which Society followed the remains to the grave, headed by their band, which was directed by Mr. Thos. BENNETT, of this city. As the funeral procession left the house, the Dead March in Saul was played, and also when nearing the cemetery. Mr. BUTLER was a highly respected resident, and his funeral was the largest seen for some time.
November 23, 1909 Death Last evening, at Rae Island, George NEVILLE, late Inspector of Lighthouses, in his 86th year.
November 23, 1909 Death Yesterday morning, Albert Gordon, beloved child of George and Mary PEARCEY, aged 1 year and 7 months. "Asleep in Jesus."
November 28, 1909 Death The funeral of the late Piece J. BRIEN took place yesterday afternoon, and was largely attended. Interment was at Belvedere.
November 28, 1909 Marriage Mr. Michael WALSH, Baker, of King's Road, and a Miss WALSH, of Middle Cove, will be united in matrimony this afternoon at the R.C. Cathedral.
November 28, 1909 Marriage WALSH O'REILLY - At St. Patrick's Church, Wednesday, 24th, by Rev. J. McDERMOTT, Miss Catherine WALSH, to Mr. Michael O'REILLY.
November 28, 1909 Death Last evening after a long illness, Mr. Nicholas BULGER, leaving a widow. Funeral on Monday at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 115 Pleasant Street. Boston papers please copy.
November 28, 1909 Note of Thanks "The CARROLL family desire to express their sincere thanks to Mr. John MAUNDER and employees, for the beautiful wreath sent to adorn the coffin of their beloved mother; also to Mrs. Richard BARTER, Mrs. MANSFIELD, Mrs. Wm. FOLEY, Mr. John CARROLL, and all kind friends who sympathized with them in their sad bereavement."

© Chris Shelley,  George White  and NL GenWeb