Daily News

NL GenWeb Newspaper Records

Avalon South Region - St. John's District

"The Daily News"    - Misc. Marriage and Obit listings 1930 (detailed)

"Reprinted courtesy of Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing" Any monetary or commercial gain from using this material is strictly
prohibited and subject to legal action.

Transcribed by John Baird and Sue O'Neill  While we have endeavored to be as correct as humanly possible, there could be some typographical errors.


In Memoriam

Mrs. James HEARN

Petty Harbor, Dec. 31.—Just before the old year ended, on December 30th Mary Elizabeth, beloved wife of James HEARN, passed into the Great Beyond after a long illness.  The regular attendance of Dr. CARTER, P.P., and the unceasing visits of Dr. BENNETT, helped during these weeks of suffering to relieve the moments when dark shadows crossed the threshold.  It was a sad event in the history of the lives of the HEARN family, as well as her own relatives when the deceased crossed the great divide.  Formerly Miss Minnie DOYLE, she not only her husband to mourn, but five children.  Thee are several other, relatives—two sisters, Mrs. J. P. DUFFY and Mrs. Norah KELLY; two brothers, John and William, the latter of the power plant at Petty Harbor.  The funeral obsequies took place on New Year’s afternoon, and the attendance was a striking tribute to the charitable disposition and kindly qualities of the deceased.  Dr. CARTER, P.P., officiated at the last rites, and the undertaking arrangements were looked after by N. J. MURPHY.  To her husband, and family, as well as to all her relatives and numerous friends, we tender our sincere sympathy......
And so the time had come ,
When earth called back to earth
Through winter snows.
And thus another enter into rest.
With one Who knows.”
J. D.

HEARN—At Petty Harbor on December 30th, Mary Elizabeth, beloved of wife of James HEARN, leaving to mourn Husband, five children, two sisters, Mrs. J P. DUFFY and Mrs. Norah KELLY, and two brothers, John and William, funeral took place Thursday afternoon interment at Petty Harbor.



Heart’s Content, Jan. 3—The angel of death has visited Heart’s Content and taken from us one of the citizens in the person of John MURPHY in his 61st year.  Mr. MURPHY acted a heavy chill while working as foreman on the highroads the past summer, which brought on a serious ailment from which he never recovered.  During his illness he was never heard to murmur or complain and all that loving hands could do was done for him, but despite all he passed very peacefully away on Sunday, December 22nd., receiving the rites of his Church but two hours before.  The funeral took place on Christmas day and was very largely attended the U. S. F. attending in a body, the late Mr. MURPHY being a life-long member .  Left to mourn his passing are Miss Frances and Matt at home.  George of New York, who arrived home just before the end came; and Malcolm of New York; a brother Mr. Archibald MURPHY, and a sister, Mrs, Sarah SINYARD, to all of whom sincere sympathy is extended.—Until the day dawn.


Sydney, N.S.—.On December 22nd at Sydney, N.S. there passed peacefully away a highly respected native of St. John’s West, the late John SAUNDERS, brother of Peter, who died in Montreal about ten years ago.  John was a shipwright here for many years and a very familiar figure daily in this port of ships.  He left here for Sydney about 28 years ago, and was employed for a number of years with the Steel Co.  Subsequently retiring owing to ill health.  He was the last of a large family familiar to many on and about St. John’s and the whole country.  He lived to a good old age 83 years.  He is survived by three daughter—Mrs. Harris McGRATH, Arlington, Mass., Miss Bride with the Catholic Record staff of London, Ont., and Miss Margaret at home.  His wife and only son predeceased him many years ago.  He was a prominent member of the Star of the Sea association for over thirty years.  His funeral took place Christmas eve when a requiem Mass was sung in the Church of the Sacred Heart by the pastor, Rev. J. H. McDONALD.  Interment was at the Holy Cross cemetery, where service was conducted by Rev. Father LANDRY. May his soul rest in peace.


Wesleyville—A message was received on Saturday night by Mrs. Flora KEAN from her brother, Jesse HANN, acquainting her of the fact that her granddaughter, Mrs. John HANN, had passed away during the day, and I was requested to write her obituary .  Of her very little can be said that has not already been said, for the news that she had attained her centenary birthday on the 18th day of August last was well ventilated through our daily papers.  She was the mother of eleven children, seven daughters and four sons, of whom six are still living, Capt. George HANN, Peter and Charles, Mrs. William BARBOUR, Mrs. Jacob BLACKMORE (of New York) , and Mrs. Cornelius WINSOR of Westeyville.  Shortly after her last child was born deceased lost her husband.  He was drowned crossing the ice on an arm of water not far from his home at Cape Freels.  She was very closely to her children and stayed with them all through her widowhood, giving them her council and advise.  They in turn were most obedient children and most reverently respected their mother.  On her centenary birthday which happened to be on a Sunday, the Rev. Hr. HILLIER preached a sermon in honor of her old age, and she attended church in person, walking from her house to the church without apparent inconvenience.  Hundreds of people all over the shore attended the service and to show their respect for her took up a collection and presented her with a purse of money to commemorate the occasion.   She was a Methodist by persuasion and in her younger days took a very active part in church work, and many clergymen will recall the motherly care and attention they received at her home and will never forget the welcome with which she always greeted them on the arrival.  The end has come, but not untimely, so far as we are able to judge.  We Believe her long life was in large measure due to the fact the she did not worry but was of a pleasant turn of mind, kind in disposition had a good word for every body, lived a good life , consequently every part of the body and mind worked in unison together. That the end should come just on the beginning of a new year seems to me to be very fitting. she has commenced a new year in a new world and has begun a new life, and according to the faith she lived we believe will play her part in the future with the spirits of just men and women made perfect.  What that life will be we can only conjecture.  We have however, faith in the life Mrs. HANN lived among us here to believe she has gone to meet the “well done” of her master, I am not offering my sympathy to her surviving children on the contrary I offer them my congratulation.  To live in the memory of such a mother is something to be thankful for.—         A. KEAN
Anchorage, January 6th 1930


Ambrose, son of Delbert and Bertha Forward, died of paralysis in the Hospital at St. John’s on Tuesday morning at 4.30, after about 4 months there. He had gone to Labrador with the family in the early summer, hoping that the change might be a benefit to his health, but after a few weeks was compelled to return again to linger and die.  He had for a considerable time endured patiently and submissively his long and wearisome sickness, until he passed away, quietly as a little child, and so resigned to his fate, that the end might almost be called a happy one.

Almost the largest funeral we have ever seen on the South side followed the remains of a young man who was greatly respected.  The children of the Sunday School, quite a gathering led by the long faithful superintendent, Mr. Robert Frazie, and the teachers, helped to swell the number which filled the church where the writer was requested to address a few words to the congregation and to the relatives and near friends of the departed. “Rock of Ages,” “Asleep in Jesus“ and The Morning Flowers,”were the appropriate hymns on the occasion.  Miss Florrie Taylor, the school teacher, was organist.  The minister for the service was Rev. Mr. Burge.  Besides his parents, he leaves his two brothers, Cecil and Maxwell and his loving sister Marjoria who certainly miss him for a long time in the quite home.  The coffin was very profusely covered with flowers from kind friends, and the snow falling on the coffin, a symbol in a way of the life that had been lived, was beautiful white.  We sympathize deeply with the bereaved friends, and would remind them of the inspiring hope of the last verse of the hymn:---

“Let sickness blast and death devour,
If heaven must recompense our pain,
Perish the grass and fade the flower,
If firm the word of God remain.”
Carbonear, Jan. 3rd 1930



After a short illness death came to James Walsh yesterday at the Grace Hospital.  The deceased who was but 45 years old had been with the Avalon telephone Co. for the past five years, and before that was at the Dock during the construction and for some years with the firm of J. D. Ryan.  He married Miss Healy sister of Mr. Joseph Healy of the Avalon Telephone co., and leaves to mourn besides his wife, one daughter Margaret and 4 sons Patrick at the Avalon Telephone Co.,  Michael with Postal Telegraph, Vincent and Harold at home and 4 brothers, John, Patrick, George and Martin.  The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at 2.30 p.m. from his residence, Burke’s Square.

Mrs.E. E. ULPH

Mr. S. R. Dawe of the Western Union Telegraph Co. Bay Roberts was advised by cable on Saturday morning of the death of his sister Mrs. E.E. Ulph at St. Vincent, Cape Verde Islands, where she and her husband resided since the departure from Bay Roberts some four or five years ago.  The late Mrs. Ulph was never of robust health but it was hoped her visit to Newfoundland from which she returned less than a year ago had benefitted her considerably. the news of her death is therefore a great surprise to family and friends.
Mrs. Ulph was the daughter of Mrs. and the late Capt. Henry Dawe of Bay Roberts.  Besides the brother mentioned, she is survived by another who is clerk in charge with the C. P. R. at Canso, N.S.   There are seven sisters, one, Mrs. (Rev.) Wright , residing in England, Mrs. Robert Dawe, Mrs. E J Godden of this city, Mrs. J W Dawe and Mrs. Edward Dawe of Bay Roberts and Mrs. W. N. Ford and Mrs. Arthur White , of Heart’s Content.  There will be much sympathy felt for the mother and family in their bereavement.


FEAVER—BUTT—At the First Methodist Episcopal Church, Astoria, New York, January 1st, by the Rev. Dr. Poten, Charles Maxwell Feaver to Miss Amelia I Butt, both of this city

VAUGHAN—died suddenly yesterday afternoon at 6 p.m., Henry Vaughan, ages 74 years, leaving wife, four sons, and one daughter to mourn their sad loss, funeral on Thursday afternoon at 2.30 from his late residence, 113 Patrick Street.

McGUIRE—Passed peacefully away , at11.30 a.m. yesterday, Mary B. McGuire, eldest daughter of N. B. and the late Laura McGuire.  Funeral on Thursday, at 2.30 p.m., from her late residence, 162 Patrick Street.

PUTT—Passed peacefully away yesterday morning at the ripe old age of 88 years, Mary Harriet Putt, relict of the late Philip Putt.  Funeral takes place Thursday, at 1.30 p.m., from her late residence Kenmount Road.  R. I. P.



Peter MOLLOY aged 9 years and ten months who was burned at his home a few nights ago when his nightdress caught on fire passed away at the General Hospital at two o’clock this morning.  He was severely burned about the body and though everything possible was done his life could not be saved.  His mother who had her hands burned is attempting to quench the flames, is still suffering much.  The lad is the son of Mr and Mrs. Thomas MOLLOY, Long’s Hill, to whom the sympathy of many friends will be extended, left to mourn besides his parents are seven sisters.  The funeral takes place from his late residence 57 Long’s Hill , tomorrow afternoon at 2.30.

7 Young Folk Drowned during Sleigh Ride on Exploits Run

Bodies of Six Girls and Boy Not Recovered Last Night From Tragedy Of Wednesday—
Thought May gone Though in Steamer’s Channel.

When a sleigh crashed through the ice in the Exploits Ships Run somewhere near Point of the Bay, about a dozen miles below Botwood, on Wednesday evening, seven young women and girls were drowned.  They were Effie BUGDELL, S.A. teacher, Phillips Head, ages 25; Doris PELLY, Phillips Head, aged 17, Carrie BAKER, Philips Head, aged 20, Chesley ,Bessie and Ethel PECKFORD, children of Edwin PECKFORD, Point of Bay, ages respectively 18, 16 and 14 years; and Matilda MARSH Point of Bay, aged 11 years.
Up to last evening the bodies had not been found, the presence of a swift current making their recovery a difficult problem.

Intimation of the tragedy was received by the Justice Department yesterday from magistrate Fitzgerald, of Grand Falls, who has been notified by Rev. W. J. Woolfrey, of Botwood.

Up to midnight last nigh no further word had been received either in the city or by Magistrate Fitzgerald at Grand Falls, but the latter had sent the police constable at Botwood to the scene of the tragedy to report Point of the Bay lies on the mainland opposite the end of Thwart Island and is the beginning of the Ships Run.  In explanation of the disaster, it is possible that a channel cut by one of the late outgoing Anglo-Nfld Development steamers from Botwood, lightly frozen over, but indistinguishable from being firmer surrounding ice once covered with snow, may have proved the treacherous surface which caused the tragedy.
Lady Squire, who is the representative for this district, informed the News that she had received no word but had telegraphed for information.



Harbor Main, Jan. 19—There passed peacefully away after a very short illness, on the 10th January, a highly respected resident in the person of the late Captain Patrick Hickey.  Deceased had reached the ripe age of 81 years, and up to a short while ago had enjoyed his usual perfect health, and was engaged at his ordinary occupation.  A malady that at first was considered trivial, however, became more acute and in spite of medical attendance, it made such inroads on his condition that he began to weaken, and on Friday after having received the last rites of the holy church, he passed away.  Captain Hickey was one of the “old school” of seamen, now , however, fast disappearing,—the days of “Iron men and wooden ships”.  In his earlier years he was engaged in the coastal trade, and shore fishery, and later became master of a banking vessel, and for several years made many successful voyages, and to his memory, it may be said that through his fearlessness and good judgement he never met with a serious mishap while engaged at the bank fishery.  Of late years he fished on the Labrador , and Hickey’s room at Griffin’s harbor was well known to all along the coast.  His many friends at St. John’s and in other parts of the country, will be grieved to hear of his passing.  The funeral took place on Monday and after solemn requiem Mass was celebrated by Rev. Father Dwyer. the funeral cortege wended its way to the cemetery on Harbor Main ridge, followed by a large concourse of people.  Besides his widow, he leaves to mourn two daughters at home, Mrs. P Kennedy (merchant), and Mrs. P. D. Hannon (teacher), and two in the U.S.A., Isabella and Mrs. C. Cunningham, also two sons, Patrick in U.S.A., and Thomas in Canada, to whom the sympathy of the entire community is extended.

Friday February 7 1930

CHANNING—PHIPPARD— On Monday, January 20th at the Oratory of the Presentation Convent, Placentia, Kathleen Phippard to Francis M Channing.

FARDY—DILLON–On January 25th at St. Patrick’s Church , by Rt. Rev. Monsignor Kitchin, Leo Fardy of the Nfld. Railway to Mable Dillon both of this city.

POUNDEN—Died on February 5th after a long illness, James Pounden aged 77 years, leaving a wife and one sister, Mrs. Tapper, residing at Torbay. Funeral on Friday at 12 o’clock from his late residence, 49 Mullock Street to Torbay


ADRIAN—Passed peacefully away at 11.30, February 13th, Amelia, beloved wife of John Adrian.  Funeral on Sunday at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence, 38 LeMarchant Road.

WALSH—At Kilbride on February 13th, Nora, age 52 years, beloved wife of Patrick Walsh.  Leaving to mourn husband, 4 daughters, 1 son, 2 sisters, 1 brother.  Funeral on Sunday at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence, Kilbride.  Interment at Kilbride cemetery.

Tuesday February 18 1930


     With feeling of profound sorrow we chronicle the death of Mrs. Mary Ryan which occured yesterday afternoon at her late residence, No. 101 Hamilton Street.  Only a few weeks ago the deceased lady suffered a cerebral hemorrhage and despite every alleviation that medical aid could employ, and the unremitting care of a loving family and friends, the claim of death was inevitable, and peacefully her soul went forth to eternal rest .  Blessed with happy and kindly disposition, the late Mrs. Ryan was universally esteemed and respected.  In the different social activities organized in the interests of Church and Charity she was particularly prominent, and her time and assistance were always generously bestowed in behalf of any worthy cause.  A sister of the late Hon. E. M. Jackman she at all times evinced a deep interest in matters of public concern, and firm in her views she was fearless in their exposition.  In her home and children Mrs. Ryan found perhaps her chief delight, and here her hospitality was proverbial.   Her husband, the late James Ryan, predeceased her some nine years ago.  Left to mourn their sad loss are five daughters, Mrs. F. J. Armstrong of this city , Mrs. Chas. Peddle (Bell Island), and Mona, Gertrude and Nellie; one son Mr. Samuel J Ryan, and three brothers, Messrs. David Jackman of Bell Island, W. H. Jackman of this city, and F. J. Jackman, Montreal.  Rev. Father F. J Jackman of Argentia is a nephew.  Of Particular consolation in the fact that Mona, Gertrude, Nellie and Samuel who were residing in New York were able to reach home in time to join the family circle at the death-bed of their beloved mother.  The funeral will take place from 101 Hamilton Street at 2.30 p.m. tomorrow, Wednesday.


North Sydney, Feb. 10—The sudden death of Mrs. Sarah Moore occurred Friday, Feb. 7 at her home on Brook Street , Mrs, Moore, who was about 60 years of age, was apparently in good health, but on Friday she was missed by her tenant Mrs. T . Rogers, who upon investigating, found her lying on the floor in an upstairs room.  A doctor was summoned and it was found that she had suffered a heart attack which caused her death.  Mrs. Moore is survived by one sister, Mrs. Frances LeRossignol, of North Sydney, and three brothers, Captain John Wilson, Charles Wilson of Newfoundland and Edward Wilson of North Sydney.



Northern Bay, March 15—A sad accident occurred at Northern Bay on Thursday last when an old and respected resident in the person of William MULLALY lost his life.  The deceased went into the woods to get some material for firewood, etc.  On his way home the loaded catamaran overturned and caught him under the load.  No help was forthcoming for some  time and when it did come life was extinct.  Mr. MULLALY having passed away. The sad occurrence has cast a gloom over the settlement.  His son Stephen is at the ice fields and his other son Lawrence at home.  With tender sympathy his remains were laid to rest in the R. C. Cemetery on Saturday beside his wife, who had log ago proceeded him.  Mr. MULLALY was a highly respected and industrious citizen and came from a long line of respected parentage and ancestors.  May his soul rest in Peace.



LEARIE—In loving memory of our dear son and brother, William (Billy) Learie, who died March 23, 1929.

We deeply mourn for you, dear Billy
No one may see us weep,
But many a silent tear is shed
When others lie asleep.
We think of you in silence
When your name we often call,
But there is nothing lef to answer

But your photo on the wall.
The midnight stars are shining

On a lone and silent grave
Beneath sleeps one we deeply love
Yet one we could not save.
His many nights and hours of pain
His tollsome days are passed.
His ever patient worn-out frame
Has found sweet rest at last.
You suffered much you murmured not
We Watched you day by day.
Until the last with broken hearts
We saw you pass away.
(Inserted by Father , mother, brothers and sisters)

MORGAN—In loving memory of Kenneth Morgan who died December 4th, at Montreal where he had been living for eight years.  After he had been married about two years, both himself and his wife were obliged to go to the mountains. after they had been there about two years, his wife died and two years after he died, aged 36 years.  He leaves to mourn two children in Montreal, one sister in Toronto, father, mother, and brother at Salmon Cove District., Carbonear.
A precious one from us is gone
A Voice we loved is stilled
A place is vacant in our home
That never can be filled.


COTTER—Passed peacefully away at the General hospital at o’clock yesterday, Sunday morning, Louisa Cotter, leaving to mourn 1 son ans 2 daughters.  Funeral to-morrow Tuesday 65 Prescott Street.

HENLEY—On Sunday morning after a long illness Thomas Henley, aged 17 ½ years.  Funeral on Tuesday at 2.30 p.m. from his father’s residence J. J. Henley, 9 Newtown Road.

EARLE—Passed away at Change Island, Frederick Charles Earle aged 75 years, leaving three sons and three daughters to mourn.

McGRATH—passed peacefully away on Saturday night March 29th, Ellen McGrath aged 82 years relict of the late Patrick McGrath, leaving one daughter, Mrs. Frederick Coady in Brooklyn, N.Y. and one son James in south Boston.  Funeral takes place this Monday at 2.30 p.m. from the late residence 33 Hamilton Street.  (New York and Boston papers please copy)


Mrs. John COTTER

The many friends of Mrs. John Cotter received a severe shock on learning of her decease on Sunday at the General Hospital, which she entered as short time ago to undergo an operation.  Louisa Bindon Cotter was the widow of the late John cotter, druggist, and the daughter of the john and Catherine Bindon.  She was a lady of a most likeable disposition, devoted to her family and endeared to her friends.  Her firm Christianity, unostentatious charity and cheerful kindness combined with her many other good qualities, to make her an ideal wife and mother and a faithful friend, she is mourned by a host of friends and acquaintances scarcely less then by her son, Patrick, residing in New York, her daughter, Catherine and Margaret at home, her brothers, James Bindon, M.H.A. , for St. Mary’s and William of Sparkes and Bindon, and her sisters, Mrs. P. Martin, and Mrs. J Tobin in U.S.A., and Mrs. P J Glrason and Mrs. J Dodd of St. John’s, to all of whom the sincerest sympathy of the community is extended.  May her soul rest in peace.

COTTER—Passed peacefully away at the General Hospital at 9 o’clock Sunday morning Louisa Cooter, leaving to mourn 1 son and 1 daughter.  Funeral today Tuesday at 2.30 from her late residence at Prescott Street.


O’BRIEN—April 6th, after a short illness, William O’Brien, aged 83 years, leaving to mourn one son and three daughters.  Funeral on Tuesday at 2.30 p.m.from his late residence, 24 Gower St. R. I. P.

SUMMERS—On Saturday, April 5th, Lucy Summers, aged 10 years and 7 months, daughter of Patrick and Minnie Summers.  Leaving mother, father, one sister and three brothers to mourn their sad loss . Funeral to-day, Monday, at 2.30 p.m. from her father’s residence, Lakeview Avenue, Quidi Vidi Road—R. I. P


Change Island:—The death of Charles Earle at Change Islands on Saturday at the age of 75 removed a popular figure in his day.  The late Mr. Earle was born in St. John’s was educated under Mr. Marriott and was on of the leading choristers in the Cathedral  choir trained by Mr. Rowe.  Late in his teens he went to Rose Blanche in the employ of the Rose firm. after spending some time in Canada he returned to Newfoundland in 1876 and entered the firm of Owen and Earle at Fogo, remaining with the firm when it became that of H. J. Earle, and later Earle , sons & Company until his death.  In the early eighties, he married Julia Holden of Toronto, a lady
most highly esteemed by all who knew her, who predeceased him in 1924 and made their home at Change Islands.  Six children survive, three sons and three daughters.  Many months ago Mr. Earle underwent a very serious operation of the jaw.  Ever since he had bravely bore the disability of partaking food but his cheerful optimism was never lacking.  His passing quiet and peaceful, was deeply regretted by a very large circle of the passing generation.

SELLARS—Passed peacefully away 7 p.m. yesterday , Sunday, at the Grace Hospital after a short illness, Mark Sellars, aged 70 years, beloved husband, of Emily Sellars.  Leaving to mourn wife, one son, Walter at Bell Island and one daughter Mrs. E. S. Spencer of this city and two brothers.  The body will be moved at 5 p.m., to-day from his daughter’s residence’s 78 Springdale Street, to the Railway Station.  Funeral at harbor Grace on to-morrow, Tuesday.


HEFFERMAN—On May 13th Patrick beloved son of Mary and the late Philip Hefferman.  Funeral on Thursday at 2.30 p.m. from his late residence, the Goulds. Sacred Heart of Jesus have Mercy on his soul.



Harbor Main, July 7—there passed peacefully away at Harbor Main on July 7th an old and respected resident in the person of Stephen Doyle at the ripe age of 81 years; he was one of the old stock of fishermen, who like the white wings are fast passing away.  In his younger days he followed the fishery with his father at that time to the westward and the Labrador which he followed for years.  Retiring from fishing he took up carpenter work and built many a fine house, he was also a fine boat builder, and wheelwright.  Left to mourn are two sisters, Mrs. P.E. Woodford, of Harbor main and Mrs. W. E. Delary, New Jersey, U. S. A. and one son, Denis with whom he resided.  R. I. P.


  It is a sad duty to record the death of a young man in the person of Aloysius Foley, at the early age of twenty-seven years.  During the winter his health began to fail, and through with careful nursing and unceasing care he rallied for a time, but his frail constitution was unable to withstand the disease and he passed away on June 30th, fortified by the rites of Holy church from a world of miseries to enter that glorious kingdom where care and sorrow are unknown.  As we live so shall we die.  This saying was truly verified in Aloysius Foley’s death , for it was peaceful and tranquil as his life.  On Tuesday evening the funeral knell sent out its mournful peel over our little settlement and the funeral cortege could be seen wending it way slowly down the hillside to the church of the Sacred Heart.  The officers and members of the Holy Name Society, of which the deceased was a member, paid a last tribute of respect by attending the obsequies in processional order.  After the Rosary of the Blessed Virgin had been recited in the church for the repose of his soul, the body was conveyed too the little wayside cemetery, when all that was
mortal of the young man was consigned to mother earth.  He leaves to mourn a loving mother and one brother, James, to whom the writer wishes to extend his sincere sympathy, and trust that time which is the great healer of sorrow will soothe the heartache, which the loss of an unselfish and loving brother can cause.  May his soul rest in peace.


Mary Anne DILLON

    After suffering for a number of years but ever bearing her trials with resignation to the Divine Will, the soul of Mrs. Mary Anne Dillon passed within the veil shortly after six o’clock on Saturday evening.  For well nigh a quarter of a century deceased had been confined to the portals of her home due to an ailment which made it very difficult for her to move about and for the past five years she had been confined to her bed.  Despite this long illness, it was not until the past week or so that it was seen that the end was near and on Friday she received the last rites of Holy Catholic Church, of which she has been a faithful member.  During her eighty-five years of life the late Mrs. Dillon had performed many acts of kindness and charity and her death, peaceful and happy as it was , was befitting the life she had led.  Her husband, the late Peter Dillon, for several years caretaker of the Mechanic’s Building predeceased her a few years ago.  The funeral to Belvedere Cemetery, will take place from her late residence, Prospect Street, this afternoon at 2.30


DILLON—Passed peacefully away Saturday, August 2nd, after a long illness Mary Anne Wilkenson, relict of the late Peter Dillon (tinsmith), leaving to mourn 4 nieces and 2 nephews.  Funeral today Monday, at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence 5 Prospect Street.  Friend will please accept this intimation.


The Hon. Edward and Mrs. Sinnott, of Parkside, Rennie’s Mill Rd., announce the marriage on Saturday, August 2nd, 1930, of (Mrs) Claudia BURKE-CHAPLIN to William PIERCEY .


FORD—Died suddenly, William Ford, porter Newfoundland Government Railway .  Funeral notice later.

THOMAS—Died on August 7th after a short illness, Jessie E. , beloved daughter of Virtue and the late Matthew Thomas.  Funeral on Sunday at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence 69 Freshwater Road.
(Boston and Halifax papers please copy)

WHITTEN—Passed peacefully away at 2 p.m. Thursday, after a short illness, Henry, son of the late Anna and captain William Whitten, aged 76 years, leaving to mourn their sad loss four sisters, two brothers, one daughter, two sons and six grandchildren, Funeral Saturday, at 2.30 p.m. from his late residence, 66 Hayward Ave..  R. I. P.        Boston papers please copy


Miss Elizabeth HEALEY

   With very much regret will it be learned by her friends here and others places, that yesterday afternoon Miss Elizabeth Healey passed within the veil at her parent’s residence, South-Side Road.  Deceased who had only reached her twenty-second birthday was ill a comparatively short time . Last year she left here on a visit to relatives in Boston and whilst in the States she received the best medical attention it was possible to get; she was in several hospitals but all to no avail .  Some little time ago she returned home and never since left her bed.  The late Miss Healey was well and favorably known in the city.  For five years she was an employee of Smallwood’s shoe store where as a saleslady she made many friends by her courteous manner whilst gaining the confidence and esteem of her employers by her conscientious attention to duty at all times.  In private life she was very popular with those who knew her and her passing will be sincerely mourned by her friends and acquaintances.  Left to mourn her early passing are her father (Mr. Matthew Healey), and mother and one brother, Mr. Joseph Healey of the Government Analyst’s office.  The funeral takes place from her late residence 351 Southside Road, to-morrow afternoon at 2.30.



There passed peacefully away this morning after an illness of sort duration, one of the best known fishermen of Petty Harbor in the person of John Stack.  John Stack was born at that place 68 years ago, the son of the late James Stack, and prosecuted the fishery there up to the present season from the time he was first able to take his place in a boat.  He was very successful at his business, but always took the rough and the smooth in the clam quite manner that was one of his marked characteristics .  It could be said of him that he was everybody’s friend, always willing to do a good turn to a neighbor, and help others along.  He was of charitable and peaceable disposition and all those who knew him held him in the highest respect.  His wife , Lydia (Howlett) died in 1914, and he leaves to mourn the following children, James Edward, Joseph Ellen and Mary (Murphy)of Petty Harbor , and Mrs. Jane Brothers of Boston, Mass., besides twelve grandchildren.  He died fortified by the rites of the Catholic Church of which her has always been devoted son.  His family and many friends will receive the sympathy of all who knew him.  The funeral will take place on Friday morning after requiem Mass at the parish Church,  Petty Harbor.


O’FLAHERTY—On September 11th, Elizabeth, relict of the late James O’Flaherty , leaving one daughter, Mrs. George McGuire to mourn.  Funeral today Saturday from her late residence 31 Military Road.

BARTON—At General Hospital Sept. 11th, James Barton of the Goulds, aged 33 years,, leaving to mourn a wife and one daughter, mother, two brothers and four sisters to mourn their sad loss.  Funeral 10 a.m. Saturday. Scared heart of Jesus have Mercy on his soul.


HANNAFORD—Passed peacefully way after a very brief illness, Richard Hannaford, aged 67 years, leaving a wife a, three sons and six daughters to mourn their sad loss.  Funeral takes place on Sunday at 2.30. p.m. from his late residence the Goulds.—R.I.P.


©Sue O'Neill, John Baird & NL GenWeb