September 4th, 1940

Wednesday Evening, September 4, 1940

Historic Church of St. Mary’s
Celebrates 150
th Anniversary

There is a picture of the church here

St. Mary’s Anglican Church, Auburn, hallowed with historic and sacred memories extending over one hundred and fifty years was filled to capacity with worshippers from all parts of the parish on Sunday morning and afternoon. Tribute was paid to the memory of Bishop Charles Inglis, the first overseas bishop, who consecrated St. Mary'’ on October 10th, 1790. The history of this church is an interesting one and is linked with the epic story of the coming of the United Empire Loyalists. Special speakers at the sesquicentennial celebration were Mr. Robert B. Blauveldt, LL.B., of Tusket and Dr. R. V. Harris, K.C., Halifax, Chancellor of the Diocese of Nova Scotia.

At the morning service conducted by the Rector, Rev. E. L. Tuck, Mr. Blauveldt sketched the history of St. Mary’s with special reference to the relics preserved in the church and related the trials and sacrifices of the loyalist fathers of the province. He made particular reference to the families of Van Cortland, Van Buskirk, Halliburton and Inglis. In closing Mr. Blauveldt urged his hearers to recapture some of the courage, loyalty, faith and energy of the great Bishop and his associates, these being the qualities most needed in the present difficult days of Christianity and the civilized world.

Dr. Harris was the special speaker in the afternoon. In an interesting address he delved into the history of Britain and the Church stating that the British people had something to live up to, likewise the Church. The British Navy was inspired by Nelson and its traditions, and the Royal Air Force has the example of Barker and Bishop. The church also has the inspiration of the long list of apostles, martyrs and great leaders. Mr. Harris, who is well versed in the history of the Anglican Church in Nova Scotia, gave some interesting facts relative to the beginnings of the church and the migrations from the United States to Nova Scotia. He described the loyalty of Bishop Charles Inglis which was rewarded by the presentation to the Bishop by King George Third of the pulpit Bible still in use in St. Mary’s and a prayerbook. Mr. Harris declared that a review of the past would result in a keener appreciation. There will always be a church if the ideals and sacrifices of the forefathers were exemplified in the following generations.

Holy Communion was celebrated in the morning and the elements were administered to upwards of sixty communicants by the Rector. Rev. T. R. B. Anderson, Rector of Middleton, assisted at the afternoon service reading the prayers for the state. Miss Frances Campbell of Washington, D. C., sang sweetly "Jesus Calls Us." Miss Doris Day was organist. A substantial offering was made to defray expenses of repairs and renovations made to the church and rectory. A feature was the use of the long-handled wooden collection boxes, relics of the days when the pews were boxed in.

The auditorium, which has recently been redecorated was beautified by a profusion of flowers which blended with the colors of the Empire flags displayed in the chancel and on the galleries. Hanging conspicuously in the church were to be seen the Coat of Arms of the Diocese, designed and painted by Bishop Inglis and the Royal Coat of Arms. St. Mary’s is one of the three churches in Canada possessing the privileges of Royal patronage.