September 19th, 1934

September 19, 1934

145th Anniversary Service At Auburn

With the church full to overflowing, old St. Mary’s at Auburn, celebrated her 145th anniversary at a special service held on Sunday afternoon at 3 o’clock. The service was conducted by the rector, Rev. E. M. Caldwell, who gave a brief, historical sketch of the Church and Parish. He told the congregation of the unique position held in the Diocese by St. Mary’s. How the church was founded under Royal patronage by Governor Parr in 1790, and how it was the Bishop’s Chapel or Cathedral Church during the first 40 years of its existence. The Bishop, Dr. Inglis, first Colonial Bishop in the world, lived at Auburn, the lodge being at Clairmont, a short distance from the church. The church is in the proud possession of the first Coat of Arms of the first Canadian Bishop. The Bishop himself is supposed to be interred in the old cemetery, while his grandson, Dr. Chas. Inglis, M.D., lay at rest beneath the organ in the chancel.

The rector said the present year had witnessed a radical change by way of departure from old custom – namely, the introduction of a surpliced choir and processional Cross.

The Anniversary Sermon was preached by Rev. W. W. Clarkson, Rural Dean of Avon, who delivered an able message. Mr. Clarkson is one of the ablest preachers in Anglican circles in Canada. His timely message was greatly appreciated by all.

Another special feature of the occasion was the choir of St. John’s Church, Wolfville, under the able direction of Mr. B. C. Silver, organist and choirmaster. Special music was rendered in a most splendid manner.

Rev. H. A. Harley, M.A., read the lessons.

After service a delightful tea was served to the visiting choir at the home of Mrs. F. E. Harris.

September 19, 1934

Cooperage Plants Enjoy Busy Season

Output Of Somerset Plant Will Be In The Neighborhood Of 100,000 Containers – Forty Men Employed.

Demands occasioned by the prospect of another good fruit crop have stimulated activity in barrel manufacturing plants throughout the Valley with the result that mills and plants everywhere are experiencing an active season. Berwick being the recognized banner fruit section and the centre of a wide production area, it naturally follows that some of the largest plants manufacturing barrels and barrel stock are located in this vicinity. Indeed the volume of business in this connection, both in the milling of stock and the assembling of the finished container, is such as to provide steady employment for a large number of men from six to eight months of the year.

Possibly the largest plant of this nature in the Valley, where the logs are milled and converted into barrels, is that owned and operated by M. D. Sawlor at Somerset. Here forty men are employed in the various manufacturing processes, from early Spring to late Fall. Mr. Sawlor’s output this season will be close to a hundred thousand barrels.

Established about twenty years ago, on a decidedly small scale, with only two or three men employed, this concern has shown wonderful growth and development, and is a distinct credit to the ability and foresight of Mr. Sawlor and to the community in which it is centred.

Similar activity is noted in several other barrel plants in the vicinity of Berwick and elsewhere in the Valley, which, while of smaller capacity are nevertheless providing employment for a large number of operators.