May 10th 1933

May 10th 1933

Letters To The Editor:

Mr. Editor -

Will you allow an old resident of Berwick who came to the village in 1897 - just thirty-six years ago - to correct few slight inaccuracies in Mr. Cook's very interesting reminiscences.

The Thorndyke Hotel was not standing in 1897; it had been destroyed by fire a year or two before. Only the empty cellar remained, where a vacant corner lot still marks the site. An empty cellar also marked the site of the old Register office. The new building, the present home of The Register, was completed in 1896, and was in use in 1897.

George Butler was the first proprietor of the Berwick Laundry, and was operating it in 1897. Later on, he sold the business to his brother-in-law, Mr. Pelton.

Mr. Cook has omitted from the list of spiritual advisers of that date the name of a venerable and much loved clergyman, the Rev. William Ellis, who was at that time in charge of the Anglican Church in Berwick, and who died here in 1900. His home was in the house next the Church, now owned by the Newcombe estate.

The name of Dr. Birt is omitted from the list of physicians. I have no recollection of Dr. Reid being in Berwick at that time, and it is possible that Dr. Birt had taken over his practice. At any rate he was here, and remained until 1900.

My recollection of R. T. Caldwell at that date, is of a very interesting and very much-alive small boy. He was very active in juvenile sports, and junior baseball, but I would have considered him rather young to be managing the local team. Still, he was an unusually bright boy, so I will not argue the point.

There are one or two minor points on which I might write, but the difference in dates is so slight that it is of no consequence. I trust that you and Mr. Cook will pardon these corrections from a garrulous old person who happens to have a good memory.

W. A.


Yacht "Nyanza," Homeward Bound For Harborville, Is Driven Ashore Off Delaware Bay - Captain And Crew Safe.

Captain Bloomfield Morris, well-known master mariner, of Harborville, who sailed from that port last Fall in his yacht, "Nyanza," for southern waters, where he spent the winter months, arrived home last Wednesday after meeting with the unfortunate experience of losing his ship, which he left beached on Brown's Bank Delaware Bay.

Captain Morris and Frank Marshall, who accompanied him on the trip 20th. When about two days out they encountered a heavy storm, which drove the "Nyanza" aground. Launching the lifeboat, they managed to get safely to shore and also to save some of their personal effects, but the ship, which was hopelessly aground, they were obliged to give up as lost.

The "Nyanza" was built at Port Greville nine years ago and was a beautifully finished two-master. Captain Morris had practically lived in his vessel since it was first launched and in it had made annual cruisers to South Atlantic ports each winter. Needless to say, the trim little vessel will be greatly missed from its accustomed berth at Harborville.

While his many friends will sympathize with the veteran Captain in his loss, they rejoice however in the fact that his life was spared and that he is again with them in the flesh.