July 27th 1898

July 27th 1898



At Starr's Point, June 24th, to Mr. and Mrs. S. Rufus Starr, a daughter.

At Town Plot, June 18th, to Mr. and Mrs. Geo Graves, a daughter.

At Coldbrook, June 18th, to Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Manson, a daughter.

At Kentville, July 7th, to Mr. and Mrs. R.B. Walsh, a son.


At Westfield, Mass., July 7th, by the Rev K.B. Exten, Rev George B. Cutten, of Mantowese, Conn., and Minnie W., daughter of J.I. Brown, of Westfield.

At Chicago, Ill., July 13th, by the Rev Arthur Newcombe, assisted by the Rev A.J. Kempton, H.A. Stuart, of Chipman, N.B., and Faye W. Coldwell, of Wolfville.

At the Methodist parsonage, Amherst, July 4th, by Rev Jas. L. Batty, James Lawson, of Richibucto, N.B., and Miss Ella Sanford, of Kingsport.

At Morden, on Monday evening, July 25th, by Rev J.B. Morgan, B.A., Capt Stephen Wagstaff, of Victoria Harbor, and Miss Emma J. Cassidy, of Claremont.


At Kentville, July 20th, Athie Violet, only daughter of Edwin and Grace Lloyd, aged five years and two months.

At Kentville, July 18th, Beatrice, only daughter of Monson F. and Emma Carroll, aged three years and eleven months.

On Wednesday, 13th July, on board the S.S. Beta, on voyage from Jamaica to Halifax, Burpee Mayhew Beckwith; M.D., son of the late Mayhew Beckwith, of Canard, in the 51st year of his age.


B. H. Dodge, Esq., M.P.P., was in Berwick on Thursday.

Miss Lillie Nichols went to Paradise on Saturday.

Miss Addie Clark arrived home from Boston on Friday.

Mr. Ernest Clark is visiting his parents in Berwick.

Miss Weston, of Boston, is in Berwick, the guest of Mrs. John G. Clark, Sr.

Mrs. Horne, Miss Adams and Miss Nelson, of St. John, spent Sunday at Mrs. Wm. Sommerville's.

Mr. and Mrs. Wilber Ellis arrived on Monday's express, on a visit to relatives in Berwick.

Miss Essie Nichols has returned from quite an extended visit with friends in Windsor and elsewhere.

Miss May Nichols went to Digby on the excursion train on Wednesday morning, and will visit friends in Paradise before returning home.

Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Corey and children arrived on Friday from Charlottetown, and are the guests of Mrs. Corey's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lyons.

J. E. Starr, fruit commissioner to Great Britain, has completed his course of addresses in the province of New Brunswick, and returned to his farm at Starr's Point.

Miss Claire Howell, who is employed as a book keeper for the firm of C. I. Hood & Co., and Miss Jennie Howell, book keeper for the Lincoln Square Market, Lowell, Mass., arrived home on Wednesday last, on a visit to friends and relatives, who are glad to welcome them home again.

Rev. R. M. Sommerville, of New York arrived on Tuesday to visit relatives. Mrs. Sommerville is expected on Friday.

W. H. Snyder left for Boston on Tuesday.

Miss Annie Benjamin has returned from Bridgewater.

Miss Janie Calkin left on Thursday afternoon on a short visit to friends and relatives in Port Williams and Sackville, Halifax Co.

Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Patterson returned home on Tuesday.

Charles Givan, son of Alex Givan, Esq., of Harborville, is with the United States forces at Chickamauga.

The Rev. R. M. Sommerville D, D, of New York, who is spending his vacation in Nova Scotia, will preach at Millstream in the Reformed Presbyterian place of worship next Sabbath morning.

FIRE AT PUGWASH. - A disastrous fire broke out at Pugwash at 1.18 a.m. on Monday, and twenty-nine buildings in the centre of the town were laid in ashes. The Anglican, Methodist and Roman Catholic churches caught fire, but were saved. Help came from Amherst and Pictou, by means of which the flames were finally subdued. The loss is over $30,000, with only about $7000 insurance.

THE MISSIONARIES. - Rev. W. R. and Mrs. Foote spent Sunday, 17th, at the residence of Dr. Isaac Murray, New Glasgow. The Doctor is an uncle of Mrs. Foote, and Mrs. Murray is a daughter of the Rev. John Sprott, a Presbyterian pioneer who came from Scotland to Nova Scotia in 1818, barely escaping a dreadful shipwreck on the way out. On Monday, 18th, a farewell meeting was held in Truro in the First Presbyterian Church, when the three young Corean Missionaries addressed a large audience. Mr. Foote eloquently set forth the way in which he had been called to go to Corea.

THE GUYSBORO GAZETTE has again made its appearance, after having ceased publication for about a year. Mr. M. H. Davison is still editor and manager.

MORE STEAMERS. - It is reported that two new steamers are being built in England for the D.A.R.

WINDSOR is being rapidly rebuilt. Since the fire, some 250 permanent buildings have either been completed, or are under construction, and the amount of money spent in building, up to this time is estimated at not less than $750,000.

FRANK IRVINE. - son of Alexander Irvine, Granville Ferry, is second officer of the transport ship Osyabia, and was an eye witness to the destruction of Cervera's fleet. He says it was a sight never to be forgotten. His steamer is now in the blockade off Morro Castle. (Spectator.)

THE TELEPHONE - published at Baddeck, C.B., is the latest comer in the journalistic field of this province. Charles H. Peppy is the editor and proprietor. We wish it success.

The Department of Agriculture at Ottawa has advised steamship owners that they should prepare space for the shipment of apples and other fruit under proper conditions before the present season opens. This may be considered the result of action taken by the fruit growers of Kings County.

INSTALLATION - Mr. C.E. Rockwell, of Kentville, Deputy Grand Master I.O.O.F., visited Berwick last week and installed the following officers; - A.A. Ford, N.G.; Arthur Magee, V.G.; Geo E. Pineo, Recording Secretary; S.C. Parker, Treas.; H.E Jefferson, Permanent Secretary; Almon Morse, N.G.

A HEALTHY LOCALITY - The town of Guysboro is said to be the healthiest in Canada. There was never known to be a case of diphtheria or contagious fever. One year, 1890, there was only one funeral.

QUICK WORK - The steamer Boston made a record trip to Boston on Tuesday evening of last week, arriving at 6.45 Wednesday morning. Using only two boilers, she made the passage from wharf to wharf in 11 hours and 36 minutes. Her time from Yarmouth light to Boston light was 13 hours, 51 minutes.

NO COMPROMISE - has yet been effected in the case of the D.A.R. versus the Barque "Alice Reed." The owners of the vessel offered to settle for $150,000 but the railway would not consider this proposition for a moment. Instead of the former claim of $8000 they now demand only $3,325, $1,200, of which they state is necessary the expenses of removing the temporary piers and the substitution of permanent repairs. $1,000 is the amount required to make good the loss incurred in freight and traffic, while a charge of $1.00 per mile for every special train run during the days while the bridge was out of gear. - (Weymouth Free Press).

REMINISCENCES. - A correspondent in Hants County sends us the following interesting facts concerning the Presbyterian church in Waterville: -"The Halifax Presbytery in connection with the Free Church, met at Waterville on the 16th November, 1859, and formed Waterville, Lakeville and Berwick into a congregation. The Rev. A. W. McKay was the first pastor of the new congregation. Mr. McKay had been laboring in Bermuda previous to this time. He, with four others, graduated from the old college on Gerrish Street, Halifax, in 1855. He married the eldest daughter of the late Rev. Alex. Forrester, D. D., Truro. During the long period of thirty-nine years only six pastors have been settled over the Waterville congregation.

They did their Duty:

The Boston Herald caustically remarks; "M. Faguet, agent of the French line of steamers in New York, is still attempting to prove that every one of the officers and crew on board the Bourgogne did his duty, and cannot prevail upon himself to keep out of print on that subject. He has not attempted to explain yet how it was that 115 sailors came safe to shore and only 53 passengers. Perhaps he means that the crew did what it considered to be its duty to itself."


The Indian Names of Acadia.
(By Richard Huntington)

The memory of the Red Man
How can it pass away
While his names of music linger
On each mount and stream and bay?
While Musquodoboit's waters
Roll sparkling to the main,
While falls the laughing sunbeam
On Chegoggin's fields of grain

While Escasoni's fountains
Pour down their crystal tide.
While Inganishe's mountains
Lift high their forms of pride,
Or while on Mabou's river
The boatsman plies his oar,
Or the billows burst in thunder
On Chicaben's rock-girt shore.

While floats our countries banner
O'er Chebucto's glorious wave,
And the frowning hills of Scatarie
The trampling surges brave;
While breezy Aspotogon
Lifts high its summit blue,
And sparkles on its winding way
The gentle Sissibou.

The memory of the Red Man
It lingers like a spell
On many a storm-swept headland,
On many a leafy dell,
There Tusket's thousand islets
Like emeralds stud the deep,
Where Blomidon, a sentry grim,
His endless watch doth keep.

At dwells round Catalone's blue lake,
Mid leafy forests hid.
Round fair Discouse and the rushing tides
Of the turbid Pisiquid,
And it lends, Chebogue, a touching grace
To thy Softly flowing river,
As we sadly think of the gentle race
That has passed away forever.

Steam Mill Village:

The farmers have been very busy haying. Mostly all have finished and are ready to start the dykes.

A very fine cow belonging to Mr. James MacInias got its leg broken last week.

Miss Mina Reid, of Bridgewater, is visiting her grand parents, Mr. and Mrs. Saml. Reid.

Mr. Harry N. Lydiard has gone to Bridgetown.

Mr. Sanford, of Sheffield Mills, has purchased the Sweet farm, on Birch Hill Road and intends moving his family there.

Miss Essie Chute, of Berwick, spent Saturday and Sunday of last week with Miss Emma MacInias.


Mrs. M. L. Bacon, of West Newton, Mass. is staying in Waterville for a few weeks, and is the guest of Mrs. Frank Wright. Mrs. Bacon is a lady of 77 years, but still retains in a remarkable degree a youthful appearance and enjoys touring equally with younger ladies. She intends visiting other principal towns in the valley, also Halifax, before returning home.

Mrs. Mosely, of Boston, is visiting in Waterville for a short time. During her stay Mrs. Mosely will be the guest of her uncle, C. I., Wolfe, Esq.

Mrs. Steves, of Moncton, is spending the summer in Waterville, the guest of her sister, Mrs. W. H. Charlton.

Fred Read, of Bear River, is visiting his grandparents, Rev. E. O. and Mrs. Read.

Mr. and Mrs. John L. Pineo and little son Raymond are staying a few weeks with his mother, Mrs. I.S. Pineo. Mr. Pineo has for some time been engaged in the grocery trade, but lately has disposed of the business and is enjoying a rest at his old home before again taking up the role of a commercial man.

Mr. and Mrs. Peter Archibald, of Woonsocket, R. I., arrived in Waterville last Wednesday and were the guests of his sister, Mrs. MacIntosh, until Monday, when they left for Halifax and Pictou.

Mrs. Goldstone returned from Halifax on Saturday and is at Mrs. Young's.

H. R. Nelson is painting the Baptist Church and Methodist parsonage in Kentville.

The Misses Sands, of New York, intend leaving that city to-day and are expected in Waterville on Friday, to remain during the summer.

Norman Marshall and Miss Cropley, of Kingston, spent Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. Will Graves.


Dr. Watson Porter and wife, of Florida, are visiting their native place again.

Miss Grace Woodworth and sister, of Cambridge, Mass., are spending a few weeks at their uncle's, J. W. Woodworth's.

Mrs. Edwin West, of Church Street, spent last week with Mrs. Fred Woodworth.

Miss Clare Lyons, of Pereaux, visited her aunt, Mrs. Joseph Lowden, last week.

Mrs. Rufus Kinsman is suffering with contraction of the muscles of the arm.

Mrs. Harry Lydiard, of Steam Mill Village is visiting at Mrs. Enoch Arnold's.

Mr. B. L. Lowden has gone to Brookfield Queens County.

Mrs. E. H. Eaton entertained a few friends on Thursday last.

Mr. Daniel Cunningham is quite ill.

A mistake occurred in the last items, which stated that Mr. S. R. Thorpe had returned to Boston. He is still visiting here.

HECTOR McLEAN, of Bridgetown died suddenly on Tuesday morning of last week. He was a member of the municipal council, head of the Brick and Tile Co., one of the directors of the Valley Telephone Co., and president of the provisional directors of the Pork Packing Company.

STILL ON DECK.- The old steamer New Brunswick, although condemned several times, is still on deck. She has been laid up at East Boston for several months, but is to be thoroughly repaired and engaged during the summer in the harbor excursions. The steamer will be opened for inspection, recaulked and put in thorough repair.

SUCCESSFUL. - Among those who were successful in obtaining Grade A, (Classical) certificates, at the recent examination, were Miss Winnifred Webster, daughter of Mr. Saml. Webster, Brooklyn St; Miss Lillie Best, daughter of Mr.John Best, Brooklyn St, and Mr. David Lawson, son of Mr. Thos. Lawson, of Grafton. Miss Webster is a niece of Mr. L. D. Robinson, of Berwick. They were pupils of Principal McLeod, of the Kentville academy, and this was their first application for an "A".