July 20th 1898

July 20th 1898



At Wolfville, on Saturday, 9th, by Rev. T. A. Higgins, William Rogers and Minnie Lightfoot, of Aylesford.

At the bride's residence - Elmsworth - July 14th, by the Rev. E. O. Read, of Waterville, assisted by the Rev. T. McFall, Somerset, Rev. J. L. M. Young, of Bridgetown, to Mrs. Bessie I. R. Morton, of Somerset.


At Gaspereau, 11th July, Catharine, wife of Irad Benjamin, Esq., aged 79 years.

At Somerville, Mass. July 10th, of rheumatic fever, Leander, son of Alfred and Bessie Adler, and grandson of Mr. Leander Fuller, of Welsford, aged 12 years.

The Bourgogne Disaster:

The enquiry ordered into the Bourgogne disaster by the Dominion Government opened in Halifax with all the parties concerned fully represented by Counsel. The enquiry was held in order to fix the responsibility for the disaster, especially as regards Capt. Henderson of the Cromartyshire. It was decided at the start that the court had no jurisdiction over the French steamer and must deal directly only with the captain and officers of the Cromartyshire. This made the investigation less thorough and less satisfactory than it otherwise might have become.

Capt. Henderson's sworn testimony was to the effect that he did everything possible to avert the collision. He did not know the Bourgogne had gone down until the first boat came alongside. The first boat contained mostly seamen, all of whom were dressed, and none of them wet. He said they couldn't have been in the water. The second boat had a number of passengers, and the rest were seamen. Capt. Henderson said the collision occurred about 180 miles from Halifax and 700 miles from New York, and that more than 10 minutes elapsed between the time he heard the Bourgogne's first whistle and the time of the collision.

The captain stated that the Bourgogne was 100 miles north of the regular track of eastbound steamers. According to Capt. Henderson's testimony, the quartermaster of the Bourgogne stated that he heard the Cromartyshire's fog horn four or five times before the collision, and that the Bourgogne was going at a speed of 18 knots an hour when the collision occurred. The enquiry was concluded on Saturday, but the decision will not be given for a week.

DEATH OF DR. BECKWITH. - Dr. Burpee Beckwith son of the late Mayhew Beckwith, Esq., and a former resident of Berwick, died very suddenly last week while on a journey from Jamaica to Halifax. He was apparently in the best of health, and on Wednesday at 7.30 was on deck talking to the mate. He went below to his room and one of the stewards asked him if he would have some coffee.

He replied in the negative, but said he would have some seltzer instead. He afterwards went to lie down, and when his daughter, who was accompanying him, went to his room less than two hours later, she found him stretched out, appearing ghastly white. She called the steward, who found that he was quite cold, and had probably expired within a half hour previous. The body was brought to Halifax whence it was sent to Canard for burial. Dr. Beckwith leaves a widow - a sister of the Misses Musgrave, of Aylesford.

GOLD. - Dr. C. C. Ellis shows us samples of the gold secured by himself and his brother during their recent prospecting trip. These samples consist of a small brick of pure gold worth about $25.00 and a quantity of sea sand from one of the "ovens" on the Atlantic coast which when "panned" showed the yellow metal in considerable quantity. The oven where this is found is a depression in the rock off shore, which has been filled by the waves with sand from the bluff. It is always under water so that the securing of the sand is a matter of much difficulty.


On Thursday last the Berwick Brass Band held its first picnic, leaving the band room around six o'clock a.m., bound for Isle au Haute.

The drive to Harborville was much enjoyed, and on arriving at the wharf the boys were cordially greeted by Captain Chute and soon stowed away on his little schooner which was pointed for the island about ten miles distant.

On reaching their destination, after a pleasant sail, lunch was disposed of, and the boys started to explore the island - some to wage war on the gulls whose nests were built on the side of the cliff, while others, more kindhearted and of a more peaceful disposition (?), stayed behind to beg eggs from the over-obliging lighthouse keeper's family - in this they were more successful than the former.

After spending about two hours on the Island, the Captain thought it about time to start for home, and with a good breeze and the Band playing, the schooner left for Harborville.

On their arrival at the wharf the Band played several selections for the benefit of those who had come down to meet them, and after saying good-by to Captain Chute they were soon in the wagon and driving toward home.

The only thing that in anyway disappointed the boys was their inability to be on hand to witness the pretty lawn wedding which took place at Somerset that morning and to salute the bride and groom before their departure on the train.


A pretty wedding took place at Somerset on Thursday morning last, when Mrs. Bessie Morton was united in marriage to the Rev. J.L.M. Young, of Bridgetown. The ceremony was preformed in the open air on the lawn at Elmsworth Cottage, the home of the bride. Rev E.O. Read, of Waterville, was the officiating clergyman, assisted by Rev Thomas McFall, of Somerset. Mr. Fred Young, of the Bridgetown Monitor staff, nephew of the groom, acted as best man, while the bride was attended by her sister, Mrs. Reid of Avonport. At the close of the ceremony, a sumptuous wedding breakfast was served, after which Mr. and Mrs. Young were driven to Berwick station where they took the train for Bear River, followed by the good wishes of many friends.

The bride is the daughter of the late Mr. Nathan Parker, of Aylesford. The groom has spent many years in the United States and has been pastor of the Baptist churches in Yarmouth and Bear River.

Rev Robert Grierson M.D. and Miss Lena Venot were married on Saturday at the residence of the groom's father, John Grierson, Halifax. Dr. and Mrs. Grierson, Rev. W. R. and Mrs. Foote and Rev. Mr. McRae, sail from Vancouver by the C.P.R. Steamer Empress of India on Aug. 2nd. for Corea.

The Rev. Henry Cochran, a faithful missionary of the Anglican Church in the North West, fell dead a few weeks ago while administering the Holy Communion to his congregation at Jack Head. At the time of the Rebellion he was very active in preventing the Indians from joining Riel. He had great control over them, and a thorough command of several of their languages.

The conference of the recorders of the incorporated towns of Nova Scotia held at Halifax closed on Wednesday of last week. The following committee was appointed to consider the relations between the incorporated towns and Municipalities; J. M. Armstrong, North Sydney; T. E. Corning, Q. C. Yarmouth; T. A. Chesley, Lunenburg, and B. Webster, Kentville.

FIRE - The roof of Mr. W. W. Ellis' blacksmith shop took fire on Wednesday last, and for a time there seemed great danger of a serious conflagration. Capt. Patterson, of the Berwick Fire Co, succeeded in securing a ladder - not the property of the fire district - by which he reached the top of the building and after a brief contest the fire was extinguished. A fresh breeze was blowing from the northeast and had the fire not been noticed at once and prompt action taken the results would have been serious, and somebody, we know not who, would have been blamed because our fire department is not properly equipped.

NEW PACKET SCHOONER - Capt. T. W. McKinlay launched from his building yard at Mt. Denson recently was well built schooner named the Sam Slick, measuring 65 ft. keel, 23 ft, beam, 8.09 depth of hold. This vessel has a nice appearance in the water, and it will evidently prove a fast sailer. The Sam Slick will register about 90 tons and will carry about 180 tons of freight. It will be finished in about three weeks and will ply between Windsor and St. John.


Mr. John E. Woodworth leaves for Boston today.

Fred Young, of the Bridgetown Monitor office made us a brief call on Thursday.

Thos. Lawson, M. A., Principal of the Chester Academy, arrived home on Saturday last. He returns to his position after vacation.

Sydney E. Shaw passed through Berwick on the Bluenose train on Saturday afternoon.

Miss Lillie White arrived home last week from Providence, R. I.

Mrs. T. J. McConnell and children, of Hyde Park, Mass., arrived on Friday to spend the summer with her mother, Mrs. Josiah Borden.

Parry Newcombe, formerly of Avonport, is a volunteer in the Spanish American war, with Gen. Miles. He is a son of Mr. J. B. Newcombe, of Wolfville.

Mr. F. H. Eaton formerly of the advertiser, now Superintendent of Education in Victoria, B. C. arrived on Monday at his former home in Kentville. He will return to British Columbia early in August.

Miss Flo Chute attended the Christian Endeavor convention at New Glasgow as a delegate from the Berwick Baptist Society.

Miss Emilie Alcorn was a delegate to the Y.P.S.C.E. Convention which met at New Glasgow last week. She gave a very interesting report at the meeting of the Epworth League of Christian Endeavor on Monday evening.

Henry M. Vaughan is spending his vacation with friends in Waterville and Berwick. He leaves for Boston today.

Hugh L. Dickey, of Upper Canard, who has been on the staff at Victoria General hospital, Halifax, for some time, has been appointed ship's surgeon on the steamer Halifax City.

Canady Creek:

We are enjoying perfect summer weather and were blessed on Friday with a refreshing and much needed rain.

Miss Woowar? and Miss Lillie Kinsman of Lakeville, have been spending a few days with Mrs. Charles Rawding.

Mrs. Thos. Dickie, who is spending a few weeks with her son Henry, has returned from visiting her brother, John Clark, and other relatives in Woodville.

Mr. David Thomas, of California, and a former resident of Canard St, is the guest of Mr. Henry Dickie.

Mrs. Annie Robinson and her daughter Lavinia spent Saturday with friends in Woodville.

Mrs. Patton, of Canning, was visiting friends at Canady Creek last week.

Miss Stella Dickie spent last week with her sister Mrs. G.M. Cook.

Mrs. Rachel Dunham is the guest of Mrs. E. Schnair.

Frank Thomas has been on the sick list for a few weeks but is better now.

Master Harold Gould is visiting at his grandfather Rawding's.

Mr. Moses Costley made a brief call on friends here last week.

Miss Nellie Robinson and her sister Phebe returned from Cambridge on Wednesday.


Captain John Nicholson and Mrs. Nicholson, who have been visiting friends in N.B. during the past few weeks returned to Canning last Friday.

The hay makers are very busy now. The crop in this section is very good.

Miss Hatfield, of Parsboro, was the guest of Mrs. Fellows last week.

The prospect at present shows a very small apple crop, owing to bad weather when the trees were in bloom.

The S.S. Beaver (Capt Potter) has changed her date for sailing to St John. In the future she will leave Canning on Wednesday instead of Monday as formerly.

Rev Mr. Hutchins expects to leave next week for his annual vacation.

Many United States tourists are seen driving to the Look Off every fine day. It is certainly a beautiful place from which to view the valley below.

There have not been many picnics in Canning yet. The Division held their annual picnic at Bennett's Bay.

Mr. Camello Fisher, of Amherst, is visiting friends in Canning.


The Baptist Sabbath school of Windsor, are to have a day's outing in Waterville, tomorrow (Thursday). A special train will convey the excursionists, who have engaged Mr. Cook's handsome grove near the Presbyterian Church, for the day's pleasure.

Harry Sawyer returned form Halifax last Wednesday, with a fine black Morgan mare, a purchase he made in the city.

Hugh Fowler, of Bridgetown, was at T.R. Lyons' a day last week.

Hiram Cook, of Halifax, stopped at Waterville on his return from Margaretville, on Friday, to make a call on his cousin, Major Campbell.

Col. L. De V. and Mrs. Chipman, of Kentville, were in Waterville last week.

Miss Grace Grimes, of Sommerville, Mass., is visiting her aunt, Mrs. T.D. Durling, of Waterville. Miss Grimes intends going to Halifax next week to spend a few weeks with relatives and friends.

Mrs. J.H. Douglass went to Paradise, last Wednesday, to spend a month with her daughter, Mrs. Foster, and visit old acquaintances and friends.

Harold Longley, of Paradise, is at T.R. Lyons'.

Edwin Bailey and Mr. Zwicker, of Lunenburg, have been the guests of S.A. Osborne, Esq., the past week.

The close of the school term has brought all of our teachers home for a few weeks. All have without delay secured schools for the ensuing year, some will continue in the same place, others have made a change. Miss Jessie Young resumes teaching Highbury, where she taught last year; Miss Carrie Best continues at Morristown; Miss Elsie Best has the same department at Waterville as last year; Miss Addie Bowles resumes work at Greenwich; Miss Lena Woodroffe has engaged the school at New Minas; Miss Abbie Marchant has Lower Canard; Miss Laura B. Bowles has Port William's school, and Brooklyn, Hants Co., has the good luck to have secured the experienced services of Boyd Bowles in the first department of that school.

A short time ago a lady bicyclist arriving in Kentville somewhat fatigued after a rapid spin on her wheel, stopped at one of the hotels in that town and enquired in her sweetest manner of one of the waiters "Will you please give me a drink?" The polite assistant bowing, hastened away, returning soon with an iced whiskey. The fair bicyclist was extremely shocked that she had to explain it was iced water she wished for.

Mrs. E.F. Chute and her brother Holmes Moody were in Waterville last Wednesday.

The Misses Blackadar, of Halifax, are staying at the Margeson house. At the expiration of two weeks the ladies will be the guests of Mrs. Harry Sawyer for a few weeks.

Mrs. J. Edgar Betton, of kentville, and son Eugene, have been spending a week with her father, W.M. Skinner, Esq.

Mrs. Howard Christy, of Truro, is visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Charlton.

H.R. Best, of Kentville, was in town on Sunday.

Mr. F McIntosh, who has been unwell for some time, left to-day for Pictou, for a sojourn of a few weeks, to try if the climate of his native county will aid in restoring his health. Mr. McIntosh will stop off at Bedford and spend a night with Rev A.P. Logan.

J. Edgar Betton was in town on Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. Everett Kinsman, of Centreville, visited her sister, Mrs. Allan Browne, on Sunday.

Miss Wright, of Boston, is the guest of her brother, Frank Wright.

John and Hiram McIntosh returned from Boston, to spend the summer months with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. F. McIntosh. John is employed with the firm of J.A. glass and Co., shade and drapery dealers, Boston. Hiram is studying dentistry in the Pennsylvania college of dental surgery. They were accompanied by their cousin, Miss Minnie MacMillan, of Providence, R.I., who is the guest of her cousins, Misses Bessie and Mira McIntosh.

The following ladies were elected officers for the ensuing year, of the Waterville auxiliary of the Women's Foreign Missionary Society: - President, Mrs. Hawley; Vice President, Mrs. George Bowles; Sec'ty, Miss Edna Bowles; Treas., Mrs. Burgess McMahon.

Rev Mr. Glendenning preached very acceptably to a large congregation in Bowles' Hall on Sunday afternoon.

C. Elbert Reid, of Somerset, is engaged to teach the first department of Waterville school for the ensuing year.

John Burke, Esq., left to-day to return to Boston where he intends making his residence.

Frank Wright is making repairs to his piazza and the front of his residence and also intends adding a kitchen to the rear of the house.

The "Prince Arthur," another passenger steamer of the D.A.R Co's fleet was launched yesterday. Flags were flying from the principal stations on the D.A.R. line in honor of the event. Waterville station presents a gay appearance with its extensive show of flags and bunting.