January 11th, 1904

January 11, 1900


Mrs. Lovina Chute, widow of that late Wm. H. Chute, of Somerset, passed peacefully away on Thursday last. She was born in February, 1813, and was within a month of being 87 years of age. Mrs. Chute was the daughter of the late Deacon Wm. H. Skinner and was born and lived her entire life within a very short distance of the home in which she died. She was the mother of nine children, one of whom, the first born, died in infancy. The others, five daughters and three sons, all reside within a few miles of the old home.

In early life she became a member of the Baptist Church and has adorned her profession of religion by a singularly consistent walk and conversation. Her character grew in beauty and strength with advancing years. She retained the fullest interest in all family and church matters till the last. At the annual Christmas family reunion at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Illsley, she sat at the table with three generations of her descendants, and enjoyed greatly the pleasure of having her family about her.

All that kind hands and loving hearts could do was done to make her declining years bright and happy. Her funeral was held on Sunday last at 2 p.m. Rev. Isa. Wallace assisted the pastor in the services and made a very appropriate address from St. John 14, 18. He paid a high tribute to the worth of the deceased. A very large company followed the remains to their last resting place in the cemetery, Berwick. COM.

January 11, 1900

Death of Mr. D. B. Woodworth

Douglas Benjamin Woodworth, formerly member of Parliament for Kings Co., died at Oakland, California, on Tuesday of last week. He had been in failing health for some months, but was of late said to be improving and purposed to return home during the winter. About a week before his death he met with an accident by being thrown from a carriage, the horses running away, and sustained injuries which hastened his death.

Mr. Woodworth first entered political life in 1871, when he successfully contested Kings Co., for the local Legislature, defeating Mr. D. M. Dickie, of Canning. He at once took a prominent place in opposition to the then Government. In 1874, he made charges against Mr. W. B. Vail, then Provincial Secretary, which were investigated and declared to be unfounded. Mr. Woodworth was required to apologize in words prepared by the government. He refused and was ordered to leave the house, which order was enforced by the Seargeant at Arms. He shortly after resigned his seat in the house. A dissolution followed and in December an election was held, at which he was again returned. In 1878, he secured a nomination for the Dominion in opposition to Dr. F. W. Borden, by whom he was defeated. He shortly after went to Manitoba, then in the most pronounced stage of a Land boom. He engaged in Land speculation and soon acquired a fortune; returned to Nova Scotia early in 1882, and in June of that year was elected to the fifth Dominion Parliament. He took a prominent part in the work of the parliament. By championing the "Orange bill" he lost the good will of a powerful wing of his supporters. His connection with the somewhat mysterious Beatty-Woodworth scandal, gave his opponents a good canvass against him; Having taken up his residence in Ottawa, he had not been in touch with his constituents. At the election of 1887 he was defeated, the present Minister of Militia being elected by majority of over 400. Mr. Woodworth shortly after left Nova Scotia and has since resided mainly in the United States. His last visit to his native country was in the summer of 1896.