February 10th, 1910

February 10th, 1910

Death of James A. Halliday

Mr. James A. Halliday, formerly of Berwick, died at his home in Saugus, Mass., on Thursday, Feb. 3rd, aged 73 years, one month and six day.

The Saugus Herald, Mr. Halliday’s paper, in its obituary notice says: -

For nearly twenty years Mr. Halliday has resided in Saugus, and every year seems to have strengthened the bond of friendship between the people and himself. This fact was fully attested during the present week when so many have anxiously inquired concerning his condition. The uniform kindly spirit of all and the particular evidence of it in deeds of thoughtfulness have brought warmth and good cheer to the stricken home. Truly this is a kind world, with more warm hearts than frigid.

The Herald was Mr. Halliday’s third newspaper, his first being the Berwick, N.S., Star. Later, he assumed control of the Halifax Watchman, organ of the Sons of Temperance, in which order he was elected to the office of Grand Worthy Patriarch. It may be safely stated that in all these years Mr. Halliday has not printed a line that would poison any heart or endanger any community’s moral life.

In 1860, Mr. Halliday married Mary A. Gilliatt, of Annapolis, N. S. Today (Feb. 5th) was to have been the joyous golden wedding anniversary of this happy union. Seven children were born to them, of whom five are now living. These are: Isaac Newton, general secretary Toledo and Lucas County Sunday School Association, Toledo, Ohio; Mrs. Annie A. Eagles, of Oakland, California; Mrs. Bertha M. Davis, of Philadelphia; Mrs. Ada G. Munro, of Haverhill, and Nina E., of Cliftondale.

Mr. Halliday began the publication of The Star in Berwick in 1866. He continued its publication here for about twelve years. With the exception of the Kings County Gazette, published in Canning in 1865, it was the first newspaper published in Kings County. In 1878 he unwisely removed it to Kentville, where it had to compete with the Western Chronicle, then published by Mr. J. A. Cogswell. He soon sold it out. Its new proprietor absconded, and the Star shone not for some years. In 1885, it was resuscitated by Mr. A. J. Pineo, under the name of The New Star.

Mr. Halliday at the time of his death was a member of the Massachusetts legislature.