December 21st, 1898

December 21st, 1898


At Scott's Bay. On Friday, Dec. 16th, Mrs. Susanna Legge, aged 75 years.


Mrs. Winnie A. Morton, wife of Wilford I. Morton, formerly of Somerset, died at Waltham, Mass., on the morning of Sunday, Dec 11th, of consumption. She had been in failing health for about a year and a half, but was confined to her bed but three weeks before her death.

Mrs. Morton was a native of New Brunswick. She was a most estimable woman, a devoted Christian, active in the work of the Master. The bereaved husband has the sympathy of numerous friends in this, his native country.

Mr. Samuel C. Beardsley passed away on Thursday of last week, after a prolonged and most painful illness, which he patiently endured. Mr. Beardsley was one of the most respected residents of Berwick, where he has lived for some ten or twelve years. Before removing to Berwick he resided on the north mountain, near Burlington. Forty years ago, when a young man, he was a resident of Grafton, living on the farm afterward owned by the late T. E. Coleman. During his whole lifetime his reputation has been that of a man of strict integrity and the news of his removal will be heard with sincere regret by all who knew him.

Mr. Elijah Palmer, of Welsford, died on Friday last. His last illness was but of a few day's duration and was not supposed to be serious until Friday morning, the day of his death, when he was for the first time unable to leave his bed. Mr. Palmer has resided in Welsford during the greater part of his life, and has been a man of energy and industry, a leading man in the community, who leaves behind him a worthy record.

The funeral of Mr. Palmer took place on Saturday, interment being at the Pleasant Valley Cemetery. A large attendance testified to the respect and esteem in which the deceased was held and the sympathy felt for his bereaved children.

The marriage of Mr. ? Chute and Miss Ruth Margeson was solemnized in the hall at South Berwick on Wednesday evening last, Rev. D. H. Simpson officiating. It was the occasion of the weekly prayer meeting in South Berwick and the hall was unusually well filled. At the close of the service the bridal party appeared and took their place before the audience. The bride was attended by Miss Essie Chute. Mr. B. H. Lee supported the groom.

After the ceremony the bridal party repaired to Mr. Chute's home where a reception was held.

At Christ Church Berwick, last evening, the marriage was solemnized between Dr. C. B. Russ of St. John and Miss Margaret, daughter of A. A. Ford Esq. of Berwick. Rev. W. Ellis officiated. The Church which was profusely decorated was crowded to the door by an interested audience.

At five o'clock the bridal party entered to the strains of the wedding march played by Mrs. Jones, on the organ and Prof. Woolard, on the cornet. The bride dressed in white was attended by Miss Harris, of Annapolis, as bridesmaid, while H. E. Mosher supported the groom.

After the ceremony the happy couple repaired to the residence of the bride's parents where a reception was held and a band serenade given in the evening after which they drove to Aylesford, from whence they proceed to-day toward their future home in St. John.

District Lodge I.O.G.T.

The Quarterly District Lodge I.O.G.T. met with Pleasant Street Lodge, North Aylesford, on Tuesday, Dec 13th. the storm and bad roads prevented many from reaching the hall in the forenoon but a pleasant and successful meeting was held in the afternoon. Six members took Degrees. Bro. Blenkhorn, of Harmony, gave an encouraging account of the lodge in that place and other Lodges in the vicinity which on account of the storm were not represented. Stirring temperance speeches were delivered by Bros. McGregor, Banks, Baltzer, Patterson, Bennett, C. I. Wolfe and others. Sister West and others also gave encouraging accounts of their respective Lodges. Meeting was adjourned about dark all feeling that the cause of temperance was moving onward and upward and more than ever determined to work for its advancement. In the evening quite a number gathered to listen to an excellent programme of recitations, dialogues and music, which was carried out with great vivacity and met with answering applause. Speeches followed and the time for closing came all too quickly, each one hoping for another "District" in the near future.

For the Christmas holidays, the Dominion Atlantic railway will issue excursion return tickets at one first class fare to all points, from December 21st to January 2nd, inclusive, good to return until January 7th, 1899, and to Boston via Yarmouth from December 20th to 30th inclusive, good to return within thirty days from date of issue. S. S. Prince George leaves Yarmouth for Boston on Tuesdays and Fridays at 4:00 p.m..

The Korean Missionary:

The Nov. Theologue, published by the Pine Hill students, speaks in the following appreciative way of Rev. W. R. Foote, M. A. one of the seven graduates of last spring and now missionary in Korea.

"William Rufus Foote is one of the few men whom the western part of our Province has given to our college. His native home is Grafton in the Upper Cornwallis Valley whence he first emerged as a student of the Truro Normal School. In '95 he graduated B. A. from Acadia, the recognized leader in his class in Philosophy and football. He received his M. A. from the same college in the following year. During his life with us we learned to know Foote as an earnest student, a pleasant companion and a zealous Christian. Towards the later part of his college days Foote's mind became more and more filled with missionary zeal it also reverted to his Normal School days and his companions there. As a result he departed in July last for the foreign field taking with him a former classmate at Truro as that greatest of missionary luxuries, a wife to form part of his equipment.

"He has gone to toil in a country that furnishes a most remarkable record in missionary labour. There are now over one thousand Christians in Korea as the fruit of only twelve year's labor."

Don't forget the Cantata in Somerset Hall on Friday evening next. A treat is in store for those who attend.

Eclipse. - There will be an eclipse of the moon next Tuesday evening 27th inst. The moon will rise eclipsed.

Died In The War. - Among the young men who lost their lives in the late Cuban war, was Charles F. McDougall who had enlisted as a soldier and was stricken down with fever. He was the second son of the rev. A. McDougall, whose first pastorate was the Presbyterian congregation of Canard, Waterville and Lakeville.

Mr. J. L. McInnes, a notice of whose death appears on the last page of this paper, was a brother of Mrs. Jas. E. Beckwith, of Berwick.


Mr. J. L. S. Foster, of King's College, Windsor, visited his grandparents Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Foster on Friday.

Mr. John Mealy, of Somerset returned home from St. John on Thursday, Dec. 16th. He was called to that city to attend the funeral of his brother, Mr. George Mealey, of North End, St. John.

The Yukon Midnight Sun announces that C. M. Woodworth, Barrister at Law, is a candidate for the mayoralty of Dawson City. Mr. Woodworth is a son of Abner Woodworth, Esq., of Weston.

Mrs. Lovelace, of Waterville, wishes to thank the many kind friends and neighbors for the sympathy shown and assistance rendered at the time of her accident. Also to those who contributed aid in securing help and caring for her aged mother. May the approaching happy season be doubly full of blessings to these generous friends.

Hon. Dr. Borden and family are spending Christmas in Washington.

I O F:

At the last regular meeting of Court, Nova Scotia, No 1388, I.O.F., the following officers were elected for the coming year: -

C.D.C.R., J. N. Chute; C.R, J. L. Moffat; V.C.R., S. W. Bligh; P.C.R., A.A. Ford; R. S, W.H. Snyder; F.S, J. Andrews; Treas, M. B. Anthony; Chap, A.V. Parker; S.W., A. F. Shepherd; J. W., Otis Margeson; S.P., S. B. Chute; J. B., Howard Eaton.

A Public Installation of the officers elect will be held at the next meeting by H. C. R. Heisler, after which a Turkey Supper will be enjoyed by the Foresters at the Central House, at which the high chief ranger will be guest of honor. A splendid musical and literary programme will be prepared for the Public Meeting, and it is hoped that the public will turn out in large numbers.


Dr. Trotter has made his last trip for the Forward Movement and will make a state……..(not legible)

An Art Loan Exhibition is now being held at the Seminary. Some nice pieces of painted china are shown and considerable poster work is on exhibition. The hall looks very pretty.

Last week the teachers of the Seminary gave the first Recital in the course of six to be given during the winter. The pupils give the remaining five.

The new buildings being put up by MacKenna and Sinclair are nearing completion. MacKenna's dental rooms will soon be ready for occupancy.

The members of the Baptist Young People's Union gave an interesting social a few evenings ago.

Messrs. Safford and Hooper recently spent a few days with the collegians giving them religious help. Mr. Vinton, grandson of the first missionary to Burmah and son of the missionary at present laboring there, was also here, in the interest of the Student Volunteer Movement.

Last week, the annual dinner of the Kings Co. Agricultural Society was held at the Royal Hotel.

The annual Junior Exhibition was held on Monday in College Hall.

Tuesday was "Merchants' Day" in Wolfville.

Lake Paul:

Winter has again made its appearance. The lumbermen have taken up their work as in former winters.

Four barrel teams passed through here on the 15th inst.

Mr. Clark West is erecting a house on his premises near the new mill.

Mr. Harris Young, who has been spending the summer and autumn in Greendale, Mass. returned home on the 8th inst..

Master Georgie Lutz, who had the misfortune to cut his foot, is out again.

LaMert Young returned home from So. Farmington last week, where he was engaged in the lumber woods.

Arden Barkhouse returned home from Auburn last week.

We are glad to report that Mrs. Millidge Wile, who has been very ill, is convalescent.

A Basket Sociable was held in the hall on Saturday evening. Dec. 10th, with very good success. As the weather was very unfavorable, the attendance was small, but the sum of $20.25 was realized.


Death of Mr. J. L. McInnis, of the Customs Service:

J. L. McInnis, of the customs house died yesterday morning after a somewhat prolonged illness. The deceased was one of those members of a community who have hosts of friends and no enemies. He lived a quiet life, devoting his spare time to reading and research. He was a lover of the science of botany, and many a summer day might have been seen on the prairies collecting wild flowers and plants. Deceased came to the country in 1878 from Nova Scotia, of which province he was a native. He was then in the service of the Mackenzie government on the Canadian Pacific railway. After the completion of the line to this city, Mr. McInnes went into the local customs office, where he spent the remaining eighteen years of his life. His family joined him here in 1880, and in 1886 Mrs. McInnes died. Three sons survive him - Dr. Stanley, of Brandon, Dr. Arthur, of Brooklyn; Dr. H. L., of Edmonton. The deceased gentleman married again a few years ago, his second wife also survived him. Two weeks ago the decease underwent an operation for an internal trouble. He took a chill shortly afterwards, which settled on his lungs, finally resulting in death. The funeral will not be held until the arrival of Dr. Arthur McInnis from Brooklyn. The internment will probably take place at Brookside on Sunday. - Manitoba Free Press 25th.


In response to invitations extended by the Misses Esther and Jane Spicer, a large company of our young people assembled on Thursday evening last at the home of our new residents, Mr. and Mrs. David Chute, to give them a hearty welcome to our community. At about seven o'clock the visitors arrived at the home and after a little explanation to Mrs. Chute, were welcomed most heartily. It was not long before the guests turned their attention to merry making and games of all kinds were played, music and singing being indulged in between the games. At a late hour refreshments were served, and all seemed to do ample justice to the good things provided. After supper games were again resumed, until midnight, when the guests began to think of departing. Many thanks are due the kind hostess who spared no pains to render this one of the most enjoyable occasions of the season.

Scotts Bay:

Mr. Stephen Tupper recently met with a very painful accident by cutting three fingers on a shingle saw while working in the mill of A. C. Tupper.

A number of the young people spent a very enjoyable evening at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Steele on Friday evening last.

Mr. Arthur Crows of Pereau spent a few days last week the guests of Mr. and Mrs. M. W. Steele.

White Rose Lodge intend giving a public entertainment and Pie Social on the evening of Dec. 24th, the proceeds to be added to the fund for repairing the union church. We hope it will be well patronized.

There is to be a Sabbath School concert in the Advent Church on Christmas evening.

The Tug boat Tourist belonging to the R. W. Kinsman Company Ltd. Came ashore at this place and is quite badly damaged.


The Concert given by the Presbyterian S. School, will be held on Saturday evening Dec. 24, in Bowles' hall. At the close, Santa Claus will distribute gifts from the tree, to the children.

Miss Rosa Nichols entertained a few friends at her home last Friday evening. These friends were invited to meet a sleigh party coming from Somerset.

LeRoy Young spent a few days last week with friends in Paradise.

Dr. E. F. Johnstone LL.M., is visiting at the home of his father, Wm. O. Johnstone.

W. O. Baltzer has sold his residence to Mr. Murray, of the United States. Mr. Baltzer will vacate in a short time, but we understand, will remain in the Village. Mr. and Mrs. Murray are at present visiting Mrs. Marchant.