April 20th 1898

April 20th 1898



At Kingston April 9th, to Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Palmer a daughter.


At Gaspereau, April 6th, by the Rev. J. Williams, Ambrose Davison and Helena Schofield, all of Gaspereau.

At Port Williams, April 7th, by the Rev. E. C. Ford, Ralph McDonald and Carrie A. Ferguson.


At Union Square, on Thursday, April 14th, of hemorrhage of the lungs, Arthur Wellesley, son of Henry and Wilhelmina Banks, aged 30 years.

WINDSOR VESSEL LOST - The ship Marlborough, owned by G.A. Churchill of Hantsport, was abandoned at sea April 4th, and only two seamen of her crew of fourteen were saved. Captain Cochran, who commanded her, belonged to Hantsport where he leaves a widow and several children. The Marlborough was 1383 tons register and was built in 1863.

RETURNING EXODIANS - It is said that a number of families, mostly Canadians, living in the states of Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire, are making preparations to return to Canada in the event of war between the United States and Spain.

MINES IN CAPE BRETON - A mining expert and practical smelter form Colorado has sent for to examine the leads of ore in the Wyhcocomaugh areas which are said to rival those of the Klondike in richness.

CAPT. BLOOMFIELD DOUGLAS, who was employed by the government to take evidence in investigations against government employees in the Maritime Provinces, has been appointed naval assistant to the Department of Marine. Capt. Douglas is seventy years of age.

A DELEGATION representing the Halifax City Council and Board of Trade, visited Ottawa last week to impress on the railway department and government the necessity for improved terminal facilities for the Intercolonial at Halifax. A grain elevator and new wharf and freight shed are the principal requirements.

BOUND TO THE KLONDIKE. - The steamer Fastnet sailed from Halifax last week for Vancouver. Her commander, Capt. Butler, hopes to make Montevideo before stopping for coal. The members of the crew all went well equipped to withstand the cold weather at Cape Horn.

THE D.A. RAILWAY have chartered the steamer Lunenburg to go on the Bay route while the Prince Rupert is receiving repairs in the dry dock at Halifax. She will make daily trips.

RAILWAY ACCIDENT AT STELLARTON. - On Thursday afternoon the I. C. R. express from Pictou was derailed near Stellarton. The engine, baggage car and second-class passenger car left the track. The passengers in the first-class car were thrown about pell mell, and some of them received injuries. One of the passengers, a Mrs. Windsor, of St. John, was badly hurt and it is said her injuries may prove fatal. Two of the train hands were badly injured.

CORRECTION. - Mr. William Bennett informs us that the item in last week's Register regarding the accident to his son was in some respects inaccurate. The boy was aiding his father in rolling in logs. In going through the mill he tripped and fell, his arm coming in contact with the saw. Twentythree stitches were necessary in closing the wound. Though the danger period is not yet past there is every reason to hope that the boy will recover. The accident occurred on Friday, 8th inst.


The loss of life through the avalanches on the Chilkoot trail will be much greater than was at first anticipated. One hundred is thought to be a conservative estimate of the victims of the first slide near Squaw Hill. Since then another disastrous slide of snow is reported from Crater Lake, although the report lacks confirmation. If the report is well founded the fatalities must have been appalling, as hundreds were encamped upon the margin of the lake. The slides have completely blocked the Pass, and it will be months before the summer sun can sufficiently melt the mountains of snow and ice to enable a full return of the dead to be made; indeed it is feared that many bodies will never be recovered. The thousand tons of supplies are entombed.


Miss Lillie Nichols, of Berwick, is conducting a millinery business in Canning, with Miss Bessie Hennegar of the latter place as assistant.

Rev. and Mrs., A. Martell, who have been spending the winter in the United States, have returned to their home in Wolfville.

Mrs. Lewis Morris, who resides with her daughter, Mrs. J. W. Brown, Nictaux, has just finished a quilt in double Irish chain pattern containing 2648 pieces.

C. J. Macdonald, Post Office Inspector, was in Berwick yesterday.

Mrs. Gray, of Mahone Bay, and daughters, are visiting Rev. Wm and Mrs. Ellis.

Rev. Thos. McFall goes to St. John today. He will be absent over Sabbath.

Lake George:

The snow is about all gone, and the weather seems quite spring like. The roads are getting quite dry, which is quite a new thing for us as we generally have so much mud at this season of the year.

Mr. R. Caldwell, of Berwick, passed through here on Monday en route for Dalhousie with a lot of young pigs. He generally aims to be the first in the market.

Messrs. Edwin and William Parker, from Weston, have gone through south again looking for cattle.

The people of Lake Paul have got out quite a number of logs to be made into lumber as soon as Mr. Amsden gets his steam mill erected. He is in hopes to have it in full working order by June.

Miss Jessie I. C. Brennen has gone back to her school at Garland, after spending two months' vacation at her home.

The ice has gone out of the lakes, and navigation is opened. Messrs. Davison & Co. have started their logs for Bridgewater.

Bruin has again made his appearance and taken away two sheep.


Miss Alice Porter, of St John, who has been spending the winter with her niece, Mrs. Chas. McBride, left here April 2nd for Port George, en route for her home.

Capt. W.T. Cook is visiting friends in Waterville.

Our teacher, Miss Craig, spent the Easter holidays at her home in Cambridge.

Miss Cassie Cahill, who is attending the Academy at Kentville, spent Easter at home.

Miss Ethel hall is visiting her sister, Mrs. C.O. Cook, Waterville.

The funeral of Miss Jennie Brown took place here on Friday afternoon, April 1st. She had been ill for about four weeks with brain trouble and died Mar. 29th. Rev. Mr. Glendenning, of Berwick, preached a very comfortable sermon from John XIV and 1st verse.

Mr. John H. Webster, Cambridge, has been visiting Capt. S. McBride.

The Band Concert given by the Margaretville Brass Band on Monday evg. last, was well attended. The entertainment consisted of Band music, dialogues and songs. The sum of $8.00 was realized.


Our town has another great sorrow, alas too common to seaport towns!

A few weeks ago the ship Marlborough, owned by E. Churchill & Sons and commanded by Capt. Chas. Cochrane, left St. John for England. Storm after storm was encountered until one more furious than any seemed to assail her in all directions and she broke apart. Five men including the captain and mates were in the second life boat lashed upon the after house and as the ship parted they cut the lashings and floated upon the raging billows. The remainder of the crew had thought that they would be more secure on the forward house, as the stern of the life boat had been broken and all the other boats crushed like shells, but nothing has been heard of them since.

The boat began filling with water which before long was up to the waists of the men. The provisions and water were swept away and in two days Capt. Cochrane was dead. At the end of the sixth day only Capt. Marsters, the first mate, and another man were alive. Seven steamers had passed them, one so near that they heard the churning of the propellers but they could not make themselves heard. At last a German steamer saw them and the men, barely alive, were taken on board and carried to Hoboken.

Capt. Marsters came home Saturday evening. His first task was to see Mrs. Cochrane and the three children so suddenly and awfully called upon to mourn.


Rev. Mr. Roach, of Acadia College, preached in the church here on Easter morning.

The Easter Concert held by the Sunday School on Sunday evening was largely patronized, the church being well filled with an audience which were very much pleased with the entertainment. The choir under the leadership of R. D. Bentley, of Northville, furnished some choice music, and the recitations were deserving of a great deal of praise. The Supt., Wm. C. Bill, and teachers should be proud of the school under their charge.

The Women's Baptist Missionary Union will hold a public meeting in the church on Sunday evening, May 1st.

The social held by the B. Y. P. U. on Monday evening, 11th, was a great success. Rev. Ch. H. and Mrs. Martell, of Canard, were present and assisted in the programme. All went home feeling the evening was well spent.

Theodore Rockwell, eldest son of T. H. Rockwell, who has been spending the winter in Boston, has returned home.

Miss Winnie Card, of Kentville, spent Easter Sunday at her home in Billtown. She assisted in the music at the concert and also sang a solo in the morning, which was much enjoyed by the congregation.

Emerson Palmeter, who has been attending Business College in Truro this winter, returned home last week.

Lake Division Sons of Temperance, celebrated its fifty-ninth anniversary on Thursday evening 14th by giving an entertainment in Bill's Hall, Billtown, which was largely attend although the night was stormy. The programme consisted of instrumental music, recitations, dialogues, solos and quartettes, which were enjoyed by all present.

C. R. Bill, Jr., lost a valuable horse last week. It got cast in the stable, being hitched with too long a rope, and received such injuries that it died the next day.

North Kingston:

Mr. Manning Armstrong, shipped a car load of fat cattle from Auburn last Thursday. Mr. A. informs us that his cattle that were shipped for the Easter market were the best in the market.

Messrs. Charlie Welton and Lemuel Welton, of Kingston, have been engaged to do the work on the Methodist church.

Miss Flora Tupper left on Saturday for Boston, to spend the summer.

Miss L. J. Armstrong returned home on Friday last, from Yarmouth.

The services of the Methodist congregation will be held in the Hall, North Kingston, while the church is being repaired.

Norman Foster started for the states on Saturday, to remain a short time.

Rumor has it that some of our young men are soon going to join the "Benedicts."

The big rain Saturday night put a stop to our farming for a time, but we soon expect to get at it again.

Kingston Station:

Severe colds have been flourishing here for some time.

Mrs. Thaddeus Walker is very poorly.

Mrs. C.C. Neily is very seriously ill.

are entertained for her recovery. (this is the way the sentence appears....PV)

Mr. Phinney and family have moved into the tenement over Power's store.

Mrs. Wheelock has moved into her new home here.

Geo. Walker has sold his house near the station to Mr. Morton, of Aylesford, and has bought a farm at Wilmot, where he will move soon.

Seymour Toole and family have moved into the house owned by T. Walker.

Cottage To Let - On Main St. West, new cottage, well finished, with outbuildings, well of excellent water, garden plot if desired.

R. Caldwell

MUNICIPAL COUNCIL - The April Session of the Municipal Council of Kings County will be held next week, opening at the Court House at two o'clock on Tuesday afternoon.

Messrs. Hutchinson Bros. have commenced operations in their factory at Berwick, recently purchased from Mr. E.R. Davidson.

of Real Estate at Berwick.

there will be sold at public auction on the premises, at Berwick, on

Tue. May. 3rd, at 2 o'clock

in the afternoon. That valuable property known as Brown's Block. Contains three stores, all rented, and two tenements which are arranged for hotel purposes. Orchard and stable in the rear. This is one of the finest properties in Berwick and will be put up for positive sale. Berwick is one of the most prosperous and growing towns in Nova Scotia. A hotel is greatly needed there. It will be a Klondike for whoever engages in that business. The larger part of purchase money can remain on mortgage.

H.E. Jefferson,